.69 minies in a 12 gauge bp shotgun

PDA

realitycheck
August 6, 2013, 01:09 PM
anybody done it with blk powder?

If you enjoyed reading about ".69 minies in a 12 gauge bp shotgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hellgate
August 7, 2013, 02:45 AM
LEE makes a 12ga slug mold (I think in two different weights: 7/8 & 1 oz) that is to fit into the shot cup of a plastic wad & fired.

goon
August 7, 2013, 11:56 AM
I'd go with a round ball first. A Minie will tumble. Round balls have long been the go-to option for solid projectiles in a smoothbore for centuries. You could probably get some from Track of the Wolf.

AethelstanAegen
August 7, 2013, 01:55 PM
I'd go with a round ball first.

I generally go with a roundball as well. I'm a big fan of buck & ball loads and it seems to work reasonably well. I think goon is right, the minie would just tumble and end up being more inaccurate than the round ball.

Loyalist Dave
August 8, 2013, 07:37 PM
FYI the old "punkin' ball" load for a 12 gauge was a black powder shotshell loaded with a single, lead round ball. Out of an old "slug" barrel with a rifle sight and cylinder bore they would be good to 50 yards. With a very heavy load they were used in 12-bore SxS paradox rifles.

LD

Icky The Great
August 8, 2013, 08:33 PM
Some of the original commercial rounds had a .68/.69 round ball paper patched with black powder in a paper cartridge. I just happen to have one right here! These were my grandfathers pumkinballs he used as a kid. I have quite a few oddities from his youth lying around.
Everything about this paper shell denotes field shot. There are no special markings for the pumkinball load as they were called by my grandfather. I do know there are some resources for these loads in paper and plastic. I do not recall at this moment but I will research it some and post any findings.

If you enjoyed reading about ".69 minies in a 12 gauge bp shotgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!