Old family photo what kind of rifle?

PDA

Tinpan58
August 6, 2013, 06:55 PM
Found this old family photo taken in central cal around the Porterville area from my moms side of the family. Kind of a cool old guy, need to find out from some one in the family who he is. Dose anyone know what kind of rifle he has.

If you enjoyed reading about "Old family photo what kind of rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Creature
August 6, 2013, 06:56 PM
Just an old (but highly decorated) percussion cap by the looks of it.

Crawdad1
August 6, 2013, 07:09 PM
From the photo its tough to tell. Its definitely not a J & S Hawken.

DoubleDeuce 1
August 7, 2013, 02:43 AM
Very cool photo!:cool:

Float Pilot
August 7, 2013, 04:08 AM
Looks like a JP Gemmer rifle to me....

Kuyong_Chuin
August 7, 2013, 06:44 AM
Looks kind of like a fancy percussion pennsylvania long rifle from what I can see in the photo without enhancing it and blowing it up. Looks like a full length stock and double set triggers if you look closely. And the brass diamonds designs match up but some of the other brass doesn't match. Possibly a custom job.

kBob
August 7, 2013, 09:51 AM
"It is definitely one of 'em, whatever it is." As my granddad used to say.

I did use the 400percent image function and it appears to NOT be a full length stock. That is an awfully long thick barrel on that puppy. I wonder if it is a photographer's prop. I also reminds me of what some guys call a "stump gun" intended for shooting for accuracy from a bench ....or from prone over a stump. I do get the impression, but no surety, that the gun has double set triggers.....on the other hand I though for a bit I was looking at a double barrel shotgun where the barrels were turned just enough to make them appear as one. This last would make the short stock to barrel ratio more sensible. I need to look at it some more......

-kBob

huntsman
August 7, 2013, 10:18 AM
A lot of rifles came from small shops so it's not who made it as much as what style or what region is it from. My guess a Pennsylvanian jager influenced half stock :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Old family photo what kind of rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!