Necking down .308 to .270-08 Press question.

PDA

MustGoFaster
August 7, 2013, 12:47 AM
OK, so this is my second post. And I don't think I really even need to to make it. But my first couple of searches where too broad or too narrow. And I should get my post count up somehow. With enough reading I think you guys have already answered every question a person could come up with.

I've been looking at getting into reloading for a while. One big driver is I like to "save money" and the other is I have a wildcat rifle in the family. So, I've been looking at progressive presses for loading pistol ammo, and keeping in mind that I want to do some rifle, for the wildcat rifle and others rifles that I have. The wildcat rifle is chambered in 270-08. The XL650 and LNL AP are on the short list.

So, I was doing some reading on necking cases and the thought popped in to my head that necking cases from .308 to 270-08 on a progressive, while it might be possible, would be at least a little rough on the press. It seems like I should get a single stage press like a Rock Chucker or similar for necking / forming at least. I would probably use it for the rest of my rifle loading and get a progressive for pistol.

Is necking cases possible using a progressive press? Obviously you have to trim it afterwards, so the only reason to do it on a progressive press would be it's the only one you have. The more I think this through the more clear the answer becomes. But I don't have any equipment at this point, so it's cheaper to ask.

If you enjoyed reading about "Necking down .308 to .270-08 Press question." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kelbro
August 7, 2013, 09:27 AM
I neck 308 down to 260 on my Rockchucker. No need to trim afterwards. It takes a little effort but my Dillon 550 would do it with no problem. Use a good case lube. Never used a LnL but from what I've seen in the store, they are pretty well built.

fguffey
August 7, 2013, 10:41 AM
I must be doing something wrong, when going from 308 W to 270/308 w the case body does not change in dimensions, the shoulder at the case/shoulder juncture does not move, the shoulder/neck juncture does move and the neck gets shorter.

Trimming? Necking down does cause the neck to get longer, trimming could be necessary but we all measure before and again after.

“the thought popped in to my head that necking cases from .308 to 270-08 on a progressive, while it might be possible, would be at least a little rough on the press”

That is the part I must be doing wrong, I form 8mm Remington Magnum cases for Wildcat chambers that that are shorter than 300 Win Mag cases, during the process that requires three different dies the process gets rough on the press I stop to determine what is going wrong. I have no ideal what there is about case forming that requires a go-rillo press, I have go-rillo presses, My go-rillo presses get a work out when I attempt sizing cases that have more resistance to sizing than my presses ability to overcome.

F. Guffey

Hummer70
August 7, 2013, 10:49 AM
When I make 260 from 308 I do a interim sizing with 7/08 dies, relube and then go to the 260. My cases wind up shorter OAL but work just fine.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=355175236

MustGoFaster
August 7, 2013, 11:36 AM
Don't assume I know what I'm talking about, all I have done is read about this stuff. And maybe not enough about modifying cases. If I have made any incorrect assumptions or mix any terms around feel free to correct me.

rooster59
August 7, 2013, 11:44 AM
The brass has to go somewhere. Check your neck thickness, you may have to ream.

Bio-Chem
August 7, 2013, 01:15 PM
What would be the advantage of a wildcat .270/08 over the already standardized 7mm/08 other than being the only guy at the range shooting one? I'm willing to admit i've a bias of 7mm over .270 and still have don't understand why the .270 is more popular than the .280 other than it came out first and had Jack O'Conner singing it's praises so loudly.

MustGoFaster
August 7, 2013, 01:41 PM
It's debatable, but I didn't pick it, someone else in the family did. Search around a little, there are some threads on it.

ranger335v
August 7, 2013, 01:42 PM
As reforrming goes, what you want to do is about as simple as it gets. You would do well to do it in two steps tho, suggest you go through a 7-08 sizer as an intermediate step. Necking down more than about 12 thou per step often wrinkles the necks.

Your new necks should increase in thickness a bit less than 1.5 thou and while it's unlikey to cause a problem it would be wise to mic the neck of a fired round to make sure an extra 3 thou in your new necks will still be less. Reaming will thin necks but outside turning is far superior. Your new necks WILL be significantly work hardened, it would be a good idea to properly anneal them or they will split fairly early.

Necking down or not, trimming excessive case length goes without saying, we all have to keep an eye on that anyway.

IF I wanted a progressive (I don't), I would still require a strudy single stage for most of my rifle reloading and all of my case reforming work. What I use is irrelivant because all cast iron presses are quite capabile of doing anything any of us may expect from a conventional press. What I would replace my current press with is a Lee Classic Cast (iron) and that's what I would have if it had been available sooner; the Classic Cast is a better press in every way than my green one.

If you enjoyed reading about "Necking down .308 to .270-08 Press question." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!