CCI stingers V.S. Mini-Mags

PDA

CoyoteSix
August 7, 2013, 08:00 PM
Hey all, I've got a SR22 as a GF's carry gun/ my house carry.

I'm just wondering which is better, Mini-mags or Stingers?

If you enjoyed reading about "CCI stingers V.S. Mini-Mags" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Orion8472
August 7, 2013, 08:14 PM
Minimags should work just fine with that gun.

MedWheeler
August 7, 2013, 08:25 PM
Stingers will offer a greater velocity, but they are only made as hollow-points. Most here agree that, for defensive use, a solid round will offer more penetration, which is key in such a small caliber. The ultra-zippy, ultra-light Stinger just might not get in that far before it spreads out.

Though I don't use a .22 as a carry gun (and will not disparage anyone who does!), the .22 caliber guns I do keep loaded, including a Taurus PT22 and a Tapco-modified Ruger 10/22, are loaded with MiniMag solids.

Under normal conditions, MiniMags are about half the cost of Stingers. They are plenty hot enough to cycle the small blowback pistols that frequently fail with "lesser" loads.

bigfatdave
August 7, 2013, 08:26 PM
The more reliable one.
Stingers aren't magic, they are mostly formulated for rifles, so you probably won't see a huge advantage out of a short handgun barrel.

Now I want to test out Stingers in my 8.5" mkIII and compare to other barrel lengths over a chronograph - anyone have a chronograph I can borrow? (I promise not to shoot it on purpose)

bigfatdave
August 7, 2013, 08:28 PM
the solids/HP factor reminds me that CCI makes a good small game load in a solid marketed under the name "SGB" (small game bullet)
They run fine in all the semiauto handguns and rifles I've stuck them in and have a nice flat point

if you pick minimags, don't expect much expansion from the HP version - I'd use solids

CoyoteSix
August 7, 2013, 09:00 PM
Any opinions on the remington high velocity stuff?

I got a few boxes. I think they're called viper or hornet.

KYamateur
August 7, 2013, 09:18 PM
As mentioned already, stingers are for rifles. You are just wasting money shooting them out of a pistol. A rep from the manufacturer told me that a few years ago. Before that, I was shooting stingers out of a pistol because I thought they were better.

F-111 John
August 7, 2013, 09:32 PM
My wife uses CCI Minimags in her SR22. For all intents and purposes, it doesn't matter if you use solid or hollow point Minimags, because as tnoutdoors9 has demonstrated, you don't get enough velocity out of the SR22 to get the hollow points to expand. You need a rifle length barrel to open up the hollow points.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbVY4gT5P20

stressed
August 7, 2013, 11:10 PM
Neither. Use the 40 grain Velocator.

It provides more ft lbs energy then the stinger, and the heavier weight is better for a man sized target when it comes to penetration.

ku4hx
August 8, 2013, 09:02 AM
.22LR semi automatic pistols have always been problematic as to functioning. Not all for sure. My wife bought a .22LR pistol and after doing the research, she decided the SR22 was not what she wanted and bought a Ruger Mark III. It too had it problems, but a little magazine tweaking with a Dremel tool fixed that.

You need to buy a couple of hundred rounds of the ammunition you're considering and see for yourself which works best in her gun. They all might; they all might not.

If it were me, I choose the solids. You have to get through the clothing and such to get to an attacker's vital organs and I don't even want to think about the possibility of bullet breakup, nose shedding and etc. The .22LR is already marginal enough; don't exacerbate the situation with hollow points.

Skylerbone
August 8, 2013, 09:32 AM
For penetration and reliability, the MiniMag every time. If used for SD, practice ammo dumps frequently.

WardenWolf
August 8, 2013, 09:46 AM
As I understand it, Stingers aren't really intended for semi-auto firearms. Most firearms manufacturers say NOT to use them if you ask. In a Ruger Mark III, they'll beat the hell out of the back end of the recoil spring assembly.

Mini-Mags, however, work just fine in semi-autos, and, in fact usually work better than standard-velocity ammo. Their copper washing helps them feed better and their extra power gives them more positive ejection.

The Bushmaster
August 8, 2013, 10:02 AM
I would choose CCI Mini-Mags. But you have to look closely at the ones you pick up. The CCI Mini-Mags in 36 grain are hollow points If you can find them get the 40 grain Mini-Mags. They are solids.

aarondhgraham
August 8, 2013, 11:47 AM
The case of a Stinger is a wee bit longer than normal,,,
For that reason I choose not to use them in any of my semi-auto pistols.

A local gunsmith told me that he has seen chamber damage from people using them in nice semi-auto pistols.

I can't verify what he told me,,,
But I can see how it might be possible.

I use CCI Mini-Mags in solid point in my:
Bersa Thunder 22.
Beretta 87 Cheetah.
Taurus 22-PLY Mouse-gun.

Aarond

stressed
August 8, 2013, 11:59 AM
CCI 40 grain velocator > CCI 40 grain mini-mag. The velocator is a hyper velocity round, the mini mag is a high velocity round. If you choose to use a .22 pistol to defend yourself, you need all the extra velocity and performance you can get.

351 WINCHESTER
August 8, 2013, 12:20 PM
Both will do the job. Pick the one that is the most reliable out of your pistol.

mgmorden
August 8, 2013, 02:19 PM
Mini-mags. As stated the short barrel won't develop the Stinger to its full potential. Mini-mags will be just as good out of that barrel length and outside of some very, very specialized target ammo they pretty much set the bar for rimfire reliability.

Deer_Freak
August 9, 2013, 03:36 PM
Fired from a rifle stingers do expand. Stingers are meant to be fired from a rifle. I really doubt the powder fully burns when a stinger is shot from a 4" barrel. Even if the powder does burn the gases don't expand in 4".

Far and away the mini mag with it's solid bullet is the best self defense cartridge. Even from a 2" barrel most of the powder burns when a mini mag is fired.

breakingcontact
August 9, 2013, 03:51 PM
CCI > Remington

amd6547
August 9, 2013, 04:00 PM
My 1970's Ruger Standard model has fired 100's of stingers without issue. I have also used them in a Beretta Bobcat and a Ruger SR22. In every case, they have functioned perfectly without apparent harm to the firearm and given good accuracy.
Is some of the powder wasted in a short barrel? Sure. At the same time, I enjoy the bright white muzzle flash in the little Bobcat.
MiniMags are my overall favorite 22lr ammo, and as has already been said, solids are best for SD use.
I am also a fan of Aguila rimfire ammo.

kokapelli
August 9, 2013, 04:44 PM
Some people suggest Mini Mag because they are solids, but can anyone show me just one gelatin test where a Stinger expanded from 4" or less pistol barrel?

From my experience Stingers and Mini Mags both work just fine in the SR22 so if you must use a 22lr for self defense I doubt it makes any difference which you use.

F-111 John
August 9, 2013, 07:26 PM
Mini-Mags come in 36 gr hollow points as well as 40 gr solids. They still won't expand from an SR22 pistol, therefore they penetrate like a solid.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=1&loadNo=0031

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/images/ballistic_images/22_LR_MINIMAG_HP_0031.jpg

PedalBiker
August 9, 2013, 11:25 PM
Sorry, I didn't read all of this thread, but if you haven't shot Stingers in a handgun do it first before you decide. The flame ball rivals a 357 magnum. For handguns I'd go for the heavier bullet.

MarshallDodge
August 10, 2013, 12:53 AM
Neither. Use the 40 grain Velocitor.

It provides more ft lbs energy then the stinger, and the heavier weight is better for a man sized target when it comes to penetration.

The Velocitor is a hummer and would be my choice as well.

Hunter2011
August 10, 2013, 01:27 AM
My pistol is not a pocket pistol, it's a 6'' S&W 422. But I feel you do need all the power you can get. So why go with lesser ammo? I'd say shoot with CCI Velocitors. In all honesty, they don't give much more power in a handgun than Mini Mags. But like I said, use the most powerful you can for SD. You can still shoot with Minimags etc for training and to be more gentle to your pistol, but load up with Velocitors.
Another round that performs extremely well, accuracy wise and shows good expansion out of my pistol is Remington Yellow Jackets. They are much more accurate than Stingers so for me, I will never shoot Stingers again. Power means nothing without accuracy.

Orion8472
August 10, 2013, 09:41 AM
Really, even the Velicitor is best used in a rifle. In pistol length, they pretty much react like the Minimag. Perhaps a tiny bit better. Out of a rifle, on the other hand, . . . they are [IMO] the best 22lr round.

Just stick with the Minimags for optimal pistol performance. At this point, you'd probably have better luck finding Minimags over Stingers or [especially] Velocitors anyway.

jmr40
August 10, 2013, 09:54 AM
Stingers use a slightly longer case for increased powder capacity and a lighter/shorter bullet to keep overall length the same. They shoot lighter bullets faster than you can get from standard 22's. The longer case fits in most guns, but many with match grade chambers or even some standard chambers will not reliably cycle them.

I played around with some a few years ago and found accuracy to be unacceptable. The Mini mags have proven to be the best mix of price, accuracy, and reliability for me.

25cschaefer
August 10, 2013, 10:33 AM
Stingers are pretty hot, in my experience in semi auto handguns, it feels like they are beating it to death and the slide doesn't always strip a new round from the mag. I suspect this comes from too fast a slide speed.

Mini mags, on the other hand, have been both reliable and accurate plus they com in solids.

mrbig381
August 10, 2013, 11:36 AM
I like the mini mags, either the 36gr of the 40's are reliable in my 22's.

RetiredUSNChief
August 10, 2013, 12:01 PM
Whenever you buy a new firearm, it's my time-tested opinion that you should buy a variety of different brands/types of ammunition for it and see how they shoot in the weapon.

Only extremely rarely will you find a firearm that's exclusively designed around a single existing cartridge manufacturer. In fact, the only example I can think of is the Automag II, a .22 magnum pistol originally designed for proper function around the Winchester .22WMR.

There are two things of utmost importance with any ammunition in a semi-automatic:

1. Reliability (both for the ammunition and the proper cycling of the weapon)

2. Accuracy

Terminal ballistics on the baddest, super-wham-o-dyne zombie slayer all amount to exactly nothing if your pistol will not function reliably with the killer ammunition or that ammunition can't hit what you're shooting at.

So try a variety of ammunition out and then choose what you want to shoot from those that you know by practical experience meet these two criteria.

jrdolall
August 10, 2013, 12:38 PM
I run Stingers through my Buckmark and Mark II with no problems at all. Mini Mags also work fine in both guns and both have had thousands run through them over the past 20 years or so with no mechanical damage to the guns.

As with any 22 I think reliability is going to be the main issue. All of my semi auto .22s seem to want something different which makes it hard to keep quality ammo for each gun. The bulk ammo works MOST of the time but if you are using it for defense then most of the time is not good enough. I would feel equally good with either of these rounds in MY guns but terminal ballistics might ultimately make the decision for me if I chose to use them for that purpose.

45crittergitter
August 10, 2013, 11:03 PM
Velocitors or Power Points.

loose noose
August 12, 2013, 07:06 PM
CCI Velocitors, but try them first, second CCI Mini-Mags.

Shawn Dodson
August 13, 2013, 04:56 PM
CCI 40gr SGB (Small Game Bullet) - http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=2&loadNo=0058

stressed
August 13, 2013, 04:59 PM
CCI 40gr SGB (Small Game Bullet) - http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=2&loadNo=0058
So all that is is a flatter shooting trunated cone mini-mag.

BTW, Velocitor makes the same ft lb energy at 50 yards that that round makes at the muzzle. Velociator also makes same ft lb energy at 50 yards that the Mini-Mag makes at the muzzle... MiniMag isn't even listed as a game round, it's listed as plinking.

/

Shawn Dodson
August 13, 2013, 05:26 PM
So all that is is a flatter shooting trunated cone mini-mag.

The flat point SGB has the potential to produce greater wound trauma, albeit slightly more, with the sharp shoulders of the flat point, than the round nose Mini-Mag or the rounded contours of the Velocitor's unexpanded HP nose.

BTW, Velocitor makes the same ft lb energy at 50 yards that that round makes at the muzzle. Velociator also makes same ft lb energy at 50 yards that the Mini-Mag makes at the muzzle.

Those values are incorrect when fired from the 3.5" bbl of a Ruger SR22. According the following video, Mini-Mag 36gr HP average velocity is 1007 fps, Velocitor 40gr HP average velocity is 1015 fps, and Stinger 32gr HP average velocity is 1073 fps. See - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FByqXBMuoM8

Orion8472
August 13, 2013, 07:31 PM
I wouldn't mind finding the SGB round. Looks good!

camsdaddy
August 15, 2013, 05:43 PM
I have shot a armadillo with CCI Velocitors from my S&W 22a and man that thing made a mess. I was impressed.

Hunter2011
August 16, 2013, 01:46 AM
And they say hollowpoints does not expand from handgun velocities. But somehow results do differ when you shoot with hollowpoints.

Bovice
August 16, 2013, 02:32 AM
Any opinions on the remington high velocity stuff?

I got a few boxes. I think they're called viper or hornet.
In my experience, Remington rimfire ammo is sketchy. If you're going for bulk, the federal 550 packs are the way to go.

PO2Hammer
August 16, 2013, 03:12 AM
I would only use CCI ammo. They always go bang.
Remington has been the least reliable rimfire ammo IME.

I like Velocitor quite a bit, it's the most accurate hunting ammo in both of my rifles. I get 1388 FPS from a 16" CZ Scout, but in handguns it barely beats out Mini Mags for velocity.

Ballistics by the inch (http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html)

Velocitor vid's:

http://youtu.be/xEDo_PbAvJc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MMpCXpztAg

limpingbear
August 16, 2013, 03:30 AM
One more round you may want to try from CCI is their qwick shok round. Its a hollow point bullet that fragments into 3 equal weight pieces. I have shot them out of my single six and had them function as advertised when shooting into a 2 liter bottle at 10 feet. complete fragmentation and pass through. (one hole in, three smaller holes out) I have a NAA mini revolver that I use them in for a pocket gun. they also work great out of my MKI and my 10/22 so I know they will function a semi auto.

kokapelli
August 16, 2013, 08:25 AM
And they say hollowpoints does not expand from handgun velocities. But somehow results do differ when you shoot with hollowpoints.
Differ in what way?

skoro
August 16, 2013, 12:07 PM
My experience has been that Stingers are really good at removing pests.

I prefer the MiniMags for everything else.

JERRY
August 16, 2013, 02:23 PM
if you must use a .22lr handgun for defense, id recommend a revolver so if and when the occasion dud rimfire is under the hammer a simple stroke of the trigger gives you a fresh round. also, sticky chambers, feed reliability and all that wont mater.

Shawn Dodson
August 16, 2013, 04:50 PM
Quik-Shok - http://firearmstactical.com/briefs27.htm

I don't recommend for defense due to shallow penetration.

Hunter2011
August 17, 2013, 06:19 AM
Differ in what way?
Why shout so much:D

What I meant by my statement is that you can see the difference in damage, very clearly, if you shoot with solids vs hollow points in a handgun. Even if there are little expansion, for some reason hollow points still deliver more energy to a target than solids. I'm not talking about items like wood etc, but live animals.

kokapelli
August 17, 2013, 08:42 AM
Why shout so much:D

What I meant by my statement is that you can see the difference in damage, very clearly, if you shoot with solids vs hollow points in a handgun. Even if there are little expansion, for some reason hollow points still deliver more energy to a target than solids. I'm not talking about items like wood etc, but live animals.
Shouting is using uppercase, just don't like so much open space.

I really don't have experience actually shooting anything other than paper with 22cal and that's why I asked.

F-111 John
August 17, 2013, 11:01 AM
What I meant by my statement is that you can see the difference in damage, very clearly, if you shoot with solids vs hollow points in a handgun.

In the controlled testing video by tnoutdoors9 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbVY4gT5P20)there was zero expansion when fired from the SR22, but a big difference when the hollow point was fired from a 10/22 rifle.

In his test of the CCI Mini-Mag 40 grain solid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2PSddmxGtI) out of the same SR22, he got about 13" of penetration.

So maybe the extra damage you're seeing is from the slightly higher velocity of the Stinger hollowpoint vs. the Mini-Mag (or other lower velocity load) solid?

Mohave-Tec
August 18, 2013, 01:08 AM
Velocitor will stomp both of them. I have thousands of them and no longer shoot anything else.

Loak at this...especially the gel test. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7plzIVmLlU)

kokapelli
August 18, 2013, 08:54 AM
Velocitor will stomp both of them. I have thousands of them and no longer shoot anything else.

Loak at this...especially the gel test. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7plzIVmLlU)
I might be impressed if the test was done with a handgun and if it included some other rounds.

In any case for daily carry I will stick with the 380 round that is available in many different pistols that are generally signifincantly smaller and more concealable than almost all 22 pistols.

Mohave-Tec
August 18, 2013, 10:27 AM
Yeah, that is true. Anyway, I'd never use a 22 for pocket/defensive carry for both penetration and reliability reasons. Recently I have moved away from my P3AT 380 to a Kahr CM9 for pocket carry.

Orion8472
August 19, 2013, 09:45 AM
I wouldn't use a 22lr pistol either, . . . . unless it were a last resort type issue.

As for Velocitors and using 22lr for defense, . . . I would actually be fairly okay with that setup. . . in an AR style 22lr dedicated rifle. I don't HAVE such a setup, but would feel okay with it. 25 rounds of Velocitors in a carbine length, low recoiling platform could put a lot of hurt on someone [if I ever felt the reason TO point such a rifle at someone, and hope I never have to, needless to say].

Mohave-Tec
August 19, 2013, 08:57 PM
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp230/igonator/IMGP5871.jpg
:what: You can faint now.

If you enjoyed reading about "CCI stingers V.S. Mini-Mags" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!