bpe conversion

PDA

realitycheck
August 7, 2013, 11:10 PM
Any ideas on how to turn an old bp double underlever 12 gauge into a 500 or 577 black powder express rifle??

If you enjoyed reading about "bpe conversion" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
StrawHat
August 8, 2013, 08:28 AM
Carefully. The old doubles, especially underlevers, are not known as strong actions. But, there are a few ways to do the conversion. The first is to line the 12 guage barrels with whatever rifled liners you want to use. Then chamber and test fire. Regualting the barrels is a bit harder but it can be done. Lining the barrels results in a heavier rifle.

Another idea is to build stub barrels for the action. Then you need to add ribs and such and regualting is a lot harder.

Extractors need to be rebuilt and sights added but it can be done.

I would suggest contacting whoever is going to do your build and ask them what they will do.

realitycheck
August 8, 2013, 09:41 PM
where do i get rifle liners??? all i ccan find is 22 rimfire liners

4v50 Gary
August 8, 2013, 10:07 PM
Try Brownell's.

Jim Watson
August 8, 2013, 10:12 PM
There is a book on the subject
http://www.bundukipublishing.com/doublerifle.htm

Lots of discussion on the Accurate Shooting and Nitro Express boards
It is not something you are going to pick up one post at a time on the Internet.
Are you a gunsmith with well equipped shop or a proficient machinist?

Rojelio
August 8, 2013, 10:16 PM
Track of the Wolf has liners. I used one of their 45-70 liners. I think they are made by TJ's.

If you enjoyed reading about "bpe conversion" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!