107th Infantry Rifle

PDA

Steel Horse Rider
August 10, 2013, 12:16 PM
Yesterday I added another rifle to my collection, a Springfield 1903 National Match in like new condition. It has a silver plate attached to the right side of the buttstock which is inscribed: "Presented to Pvt. Thomas G. Osterhoudt by Co. L 107th Infantry 1930". The 107th infantry was a New York National Guard unit in 1930 and from the research I have done the unit participated in the National Rifle contests at Camp Perry between WWI and WWII almost every year. They seemed to do very well both as a unit and individually in the competition but I have not been able to find Pvt Osterhoudt even mentioned but I do not believe they would have presented him this rifle if he had not accomplished something special. Would any of you be able to find more information?

According to the Serial Number this rifle was manufactured in 1929.

If you enjoyed reading about "107th Infantry Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dogrunner
August 10, 2013, 03:43 PM
Just a suggestion, try the National Archives. I managed to get the entire service file for a GG grandfather civil war vet. Might also be worth your time to try that name in the Ancestry.com database....figure out where the unit was primarily from and cross ref. that name.

bikerdoc
August 10, 2013, 04:37 PM
The Adjutant General of the the New York National Guard is the keeper of old NYNG record.

rcmodel
August 10, 2013, 04:40 PM
You could also try contacting the CMP.

They still have the records for the 1930 National Matches I betcha.

It might even be online on there website somewhere, but I don't know where to look.

rc

Steel Horse Rider
August 10, 2013, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I have been Google searching a lot of the new York State records for that time period and I have sent an e-mail to CMP to see if Pvt Osterhoudt's name is in any of the records from the 1930 matches. History can be interesting.

If you enjoyed reading about "107th Infantry Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!