M77 Mark 11 223

PDA

wnh
August 11, 2013, 01:42 PM
I will be hunting in the I-40 area west of flag. I wanted to reach 4000 fps but with the wind it wont happen. I have went from 22-250 to the 223 being I can not get a 243. I would like any advice I can get,and any load info anyone would like to share.

If you enjoyed reading about "M77 Mark 11 223" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jstein650
August 11, 2013, 04:51 PM
Not sure what difference the wind is supposed make with regard to muzzle velocity. Also, it would help to know what you're hunting. If you're looking for that kind of speed, dropping to a .223 from a 22-250 is a move in the wrong direction. The only cartridges (.223) that get near and above the 4k mark are the 22-250 and its AI brother, the 220 Swift, .223 WSSM and some more exotic rounds, and with them it's with bullets way on the lighter end. The newer .20 calibers will do it, but with lighter bullets still. Don't see it happening at all with any .223 with any reasonable bullet.
More to the point, why is 4000 fps an important factor?

wnh
August 11, 2013, 09:01 PM
You could not have put it better. Always wanted a swift but know it is not the way to go. I learned a long time ago speed is no answer to one hole in 3 shots. Just traded for the mark 11. Will be mounting it with a Mark 4 LR/T 4.5/14/ 50mm.Hope to find a load for after dove to go up to west of flagstaff and shoot dogs. I have load for a 600 Rem that will hold .75 at 100 yards but its 243. But no personal 22 loads except for my 53/ jet..did load a Sako in the 70s with 23.5 BL-C 55 Blitz was great on cats even took one of my Lions with it.
I do not understand what I was asking for in my first thread either. Thank You W.N.H.

ArchAngelCD
August 11, 2013, 09:22 PM
The only thing 4000 fps does is leave a lot of copper in your barrel and burn that barrel out in short order. Speed isn't everything. I own a Howa 1500 in .223 and it's just fine for Dogs and @ only 3200 fps. (but its very accurate)

gamestalker
August 12, 2013, 02:00 AM
I learned something pretty cool many years ago while living in Flagstaff about shooting / hunting at or above 7,000' elevations, in that it has a dramatic impact on BC, but in a very positive way. Using the same exact bullet, same lot of powder, from the same .270 win was producing almost 6" flatter trajectory at 500 yds. at around 7,800' elevation, as opposed to 2,000' elevation. In other words, with my rifle zeroed at 200 yds., it would drop 19" at 500 yds. @ 7,800' and just under 25" @ 2,000' elevation. I knew that elevation had some effect on exterior ballistics, but I had no idea it was that extreme.

As for dogs, I assume your referring to coyotes, not prairie dogs, right? I used to like hunting yotes either East or North of Flag, more open country to find an elevated spot to shoot / call from. Also out in Parks there is some good dog hunting to be done, well at least back in the 80's and 90's it was still real good. Also, right off the Rim over looking the valley off of I-17 is great country to pop dogs too! Going West on I-40 is a pretty long drive before you get into good open country I think, but it's your Bar B Q, I'm sure you know the area well enough to have your spot secured.

GS

wnh
August 12, 2013, 12:51 PM
Good info thank you, will be hunting p dogs out of Seligman. I lived in Flag from 65 to 73 and did very little calling at that time for varmints but before that it was all weekend and Wednesday afternoon. Had contacts on the papago and hunted it almost 100 percent. Before Az. I lived in the Owens Valley Calif. and lived to call [by hand] had the O.K. to hunt the elk refuge out of Big Pine at night. Az. needs to trust us varmint callers more we can do wonders at night to help big game.

If you enjoyed reading about "M77 Mark 11 223" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!