automatic knife servicing

PDA

pwrtool45
August 11, 2013, 02:08 PM
I have a Microtech Makora that I bought new (locally) that seems to have a bit of an issue. The blade jumped off the carrier (?) when retracting. This happened once before when I got it (only on opening, a flick of the wrist and everything seemed to be okay afterwards). Poking the knife into a rolled up magazine didn't reseat it into the carriage, and when I removed it from the paper the blade stayed put

So now I have a detached blade and empty body. :o

I'd like to return it to Microtech for servicing. Is there anything I should be aware of WRT interstate commerce, moon phases or general legal pitfalls? I'm of the understanding that I broke no laws (AL) when I purchased the knife, but I'm still not entirely clear on the whole interstate commerce thing. Is it even possible (federally, pretty sure I'm ok on the state level) to return an automatic knife to the manufacturer?

If you enjoyed reading about "automatic knife servicing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
August 11, 2013, 02:29 PM
I went through this with a Benchmade auto with a broken spring a few years ago.
As I understand it?

You can return it to the manufacture for service.

But they cannot legally send it back to you unless you are a LEO, active military, an EMT, or a dealer.

Here is the Microtech return form.
http://www.microtechknives.com/support-2/return-authorization/

rc

glistam
August 11, 2013, 06:30 PM
There might be an issue with returning it to you, as rcmodel said. It should be noted this is benchmade and microtech's interpretation of the federal interstate commerce law, and is in part erroneous, but as a business they have a right to conduct themselves this way if they so choose so as to avoid liability on their part.

That said, you very likely can get the repair through the local dealer you purchased it at. As in give it to them, they mail it, manufacturer mails it back to them, and they give it back to you. I know Benchmade does this, and it would be legal.

hso
August 11, 2013, 08:46 PM
If you aren't an annointed class permitted to engage in interstate commerce or transfer of switchblades under the 15 and 18 USC restrictions you may not have any way to get your knife serviced.

I suggest you call MT directly and ask their advice since only they can tell you whether they'll accept and return it to you.

OTOH, if you have an LE/EMT/Mil buddy that's willing to send it to MT for service you won't even have to ask the question.

If you purchased it from a local brick and mortar store you can go through them.

You'll still need that RA (return authorization) number from MT so give them a call.

pwrtool45
August 12, 2013, 06:14 AM
Thanks guys. I'll talk with the dealer and see if they'll handle the shipping.

Of course, the tri-wing bits are only like $20 and it doesn't look that complicated...

PabloJ
August 15, 2013, 09:29 PM
I have a Microtech Makora that I bought new (locally) that seems to have a bit of an issue. The blade jumped off the carrier (?) when retracting. This happened once before when I got it (only on opening, a flick of the wrist and everything seemed to be okay afterwards). Poking the knife into a rolled up magazine didn't reseat it into the carriage, and when I removed it from the paper the blade stayed put

So now I have a detached blade and empty body. :o

I'd like to return it to Microtech for servicing. Is there anything I should be aware of WRT interstate commerce, moon phases or general legal pitfalls? I'm of the understanding that I broke no laws (AL) when I purchased the knife, but I'm still not entirely clear on the whole interstate commerce thing. Is it even possible (federally, pretty sure I'm ok on the state level) to return an automatic knife to the manufacturer?
In Europe I was quoted 24 hour turnaround for ProTech knife at service center. The knife itself was several hundred euros, but I have never seen a better knife.

If you enjoyed reading about "automatic knife servicing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!