Gunsmith Price Check: Removing a Stuck & Stripped Screw

PDA

GP100Wii
August 11, 2013, 06:22 PM
Howdy.

Dropped a rifle off at the gunsmith today -- I'll get a call & quote tomorrow. The front sight has a stuck and stripped flat head screw (my fault on the stripping).

Just so I know before I get the call, what's reasonable price-wise if the gunsmith:

a) has to work some magic and somehow take the screw out with some trick
b) has to drill the screw out and potentially retap the hole

Thanks a bunch.

(Next on the list of things to buy: actual gunsmithing screwdrivers. Oops.)

If you enjoyed reading about "Gunsmith Price Check: Removing a Stuck & Stripped Screw" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kp321
August 11, 2013, 08:34 PM
"Price is set according to attitude of customer"
I normally have a $30 minimum except for steady customers.

243winxb
August 11, 2013, 09:53 PM
gunsmith prices http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/miscellaneous/shoppricesurvey.pdf

Jim K
August 11, 2013, 11:08 PM
"For problems caused by inept customer, add 1000%."

Jim

Sun Tzu warrior
August 12, 2013, 12:09 AM
If the screw is not counter sunk, (below the surface of the sight)
use a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel to cut a new slot at a right angle to the stripped slot, then be careful to get a screw driver that fits well into the new slot and remove it. Replace the old screw with a new one.

dsink
August 12, 2013, 10:10 AM
Im with Kp321. For my regular customers it would probably be $20. For a new customer and depending on how much trouble it is, your probably looking at $30.

carbine85
August 12, 2013, 07:08 PM
Broken and stripped screws and be a real pain to remove especially when you don't want to cause any more damage. I would say $20-$30 is a steal.

slowr1der
August 13, 2013, 10:26 AM
I had a screw for a scope mount that was stuck, I'd stripped it, then tried to drill a hole in in it to get it out with an easy out with no avail. I finally took it to my gunsmith and he removed it and charged me $5. From what I'm seeing here though, it looks like that's on the cheap side.

BBBBill
August 13, 2013, 05:30 PM
Yes it is on the cheap side. Your gunsmith did you a great favor at that price, but he did himself no favors if he does that often. Good way to go out of business.

MountainBear
August 22, 2013, 01:03 PM
It depends on how long it took me to remove it. I charge by the hour, with a half hour minimum. So it would be at least $25. Next time stop before completely stripping it (just saying).

a5werkes
August 22, 2013, 07:53 PM
".......... Next time stop before completely stripping it (just saying)......

A man's gotta know his limitations !

If you enjoyed reading about "Gunsmith Price Check: Removing a Stuck & Stripped Screw" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!