More setup queries

PDA

Icky The Great
August 12, 2013, 11:18 AM
Ok so I recieved a great bit of response from my last setup question so here is another. I used the search and had a ton of pages looking for storage ideas. So how is it you folks store brass for reloading?

As it is now I have loads of plastic totes for my range brass. This is all just for plinking and target practise. Its all cleaned and ready to use but needs sorted (45s have small primers and large together, nickel and brass and all that). I have 2.5 gal buckets with lids in the basement and various other totes on shelves. Unfortunately due to all the weight I do not trust the buckets more than 2 high. Having said that, I have quite a row and the shelves are bowing. I have seen small 5 gallon sealable drums used but they were all spread out throughout a large room. I was thinking of making metal lined hopper drawers (12"x12"x12" and building a large rack for them but have no where for that size of unit. I figured 3 high and 5 wide for a total of 66"x38"x14". Being its made of wood I would be afraid the wood would hold moisture (damp basement) and funk up my clean brass.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/mechanicalmayham/brass_zpse1a2896e.jpg (http://s38.photobucket.com/user/mechanicalmayham/media/brass_zpse1a2896e.jpg.html)

If you enjoyed reading about "More setup queries" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Icky The Great
August 12, 2013, 11:25 AM
I should add that I have a large selection of AKRO bins and these are overwhelmed. Actually had two crack along the bottom. My good friend used a dresser to sort the brass he has but he also has a seperate garage for his shop. Kinda looking for some clever ideas to help me stay organized.

ATLDave
August 12, 2013, 11:31 AM
I keep mine in ziploc-type freezer bags. I like to sort brass by headstamp*, so each caliber headstamp gets its own bag with a little label or note saying what it is. The bags mostly go into one of the file-cabinet-sized drawers in my reloading desk, but large collections of brass go into containers, including ammo cans.

* I do this for two reasons. One, similar headstamps usually have similar weight. If you have mixed headstamps, your finished rounds will have weights all over the map. If the headstamps are consistent, a run of ammo should have finished weights in a relatively narrow range. If you use finished weight as any part of a QC method, then this matters; if not, it may not matter.

Two, from time to time, I have found that a particular type of brass is prone to problems for me. PPU 10mm, for instance, sometimes loses tension after just a couple of loadings. If I have brass sorted by headstamp, I can either avoid the potentially-problematic types of brass or be in extra-diligent mode when using it. Although it's a bummer to discover that a particular type of brass is trouble, at least it's pretty easy to find all the brass (and loaded rounds) that used it.

cfullgraf
August 12, 2013, 11:53 AM
I also store resized, prepped and clean cases in ZipLoc bags and then I use mini-milk-crates (CD storage crates) to store the bags of cases. Except for a few cartridges, I rarely overfill the crates and even have some crates that are designated to hold cases for two different cartridges.

Where y supply of prepped cartridges are too large for one of the crates, I use 50 cal ammo cans.

I have a stash of new cases in inventory to replace cases that fail along the way. These are stored in their original packaging.

I resize, prep and clean cases shortly after shooting so i never have a large quantity of fired cases laying around.

Icky The Great
August 12, 2013, 12:22 PM
I have shot alot of my loaded stuff. All loading to this point has been single stage. I now have a Hornaday Ammo Plant so the pistol brass will be reloaded as soon as I get that set up. However, I am reconfiguring my entire room around 5 presses and I will be keeping pistol stuff together and rifle stuff together so I am essentially splitting my room up by doing this. I am working on getting everything sorted and I am also trying to consolodate like items.
Ever venture out into the cold night through 6" of snow to a garage to rummage around looking for an odd number of loose brass only to come back and finish a run of loads? Less clutter = Less confusion
As far as sorting goes, that all still needs to be done. All that brass is range pick ups, recently. I also load my scrounger loads light and typically with cast boolits. They all get put loose into one 50cal can.

1SOW
August 12, 2013, 09:13 PM
Labelled coffee cans for sorted 9mm headstamps--all sized and tumbled (Approx. 1150 each container). They stack well in a cabinet under the bench. I just put one on the bench for reloading. Free is good.

I sort range brass on the patio table. I keep about 6-7 different headstamps. A 2x4 on edge across the center of the table and 7 boards set on edge coming off the 2x4 to make dividers.
Dump the brass and toss them into the divided sections by headstamp . I size and deprime on a single stage on the patio. I have one labelled "Range Brass" Coffee container for each headstamp. When it gets 300-400 per headstamp, I tumble and store under the press marked "ready to load".

rcmodel
August 12, 2013, 09:31 PM
Go to a local bakery, or grocery store with a bakery, and ask to look at their empty white plastic frosting buckets.

They are heavy duty, stack clear to the ceiling nicely, and sell for .50-.75 cents each with lids.
(Or maybe even Free to a good home if you know the bakery folks?)

Frosting buckets stacked under shotgun reloading press.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/Shop8.jpg

Note also the Heavy Duty steel shelving from Home Depot holding up several hundred pounds of loaded ammo & lead ingots in GI ammo cans.

rc

Icky The Great
August 12, 2013, 10:08 PM
RCMODEL, thats a grand idea. I also like the photos on the front of them. That might do what I need. I also have the same shelving though its not entirely in view in my photo.

The coffee can thing was how I was going before the 2.5gal bucket. However they are flimsy and the lids tend to collapse or burst off if there is too much pressure against the sides.

El Viejo
August 12, 2013, 10:15 PM
I also use the plastic Folgers coffee cans, red and green both. I get the green ones from church (they drink decaf) and I use the regular ones. They're great for holding brass.

Walkalong
August 12, 2013, 10:27 PM
Buckets are good. Many times they can be had for free.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=163001&d=1334834801

dickttx
August 13, 2013, 11:10 AM
The grey lockers are full too.
I have large, regular and 10oz. and use them for everything.
One of the large ones, full, is about all my hands will let me handle now.
You can write all over them with black markers. If I ever fill one up with writing I will start using labels.
I actually have so many that I am going to sell some to some lucky people when we have an estate sale before long.:)

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b476/dickttx/Reloading/Safe%20and%20Coffee%20Cans/39ebe165-9afb-4d73-a5c1-50783a450bad_zps476a2bd3.jpg (http://s1047.photobucket.com/user/dickttx/media/Reloading/Safe%20and%20Coffee%20Cans/39ebe165-9afb-4d73-a5c1-50783a450bad_zps476a2bd3.jpg.html)

blarby
August 13, 2013, 11:21 AM
I use zoi yoghurt containers now. I get 3-4 new ones a week, it was a resource I couldn't pass up.

mstreddy
August 13, 2013, 11:55 AM
Another user of coffee cans and GI ammo cans. I'll snap a pic of my stash later this evening.

I mark them with a label printed on plain paper and taped that denotes caliber and where it's at in the process. Someone had posted a sample here some time ago.

higgite
August 13, 2013, 02:54 PM
Clear plastic containers that uncooked rice comes in from the grocery store. If I need more containers, I just eat more rice. A win/win situation. ;)

mljdeckard
August 13, 2013, 03:17 PM
I use the bins for significant amounts of components, and ziploc bags for smaller quantities. I use dry-erase markers to keep track. I have labels like; ".45, tumbled, 1-25-2013" or "9mm, sized, primed 2-10-2012".

Wheeljack
August 13, 2013, 04:39 PM
How many rounds you shoot in a week X 4 X 12 X 5 = years worth of shells. Anything over this throw in a bucket and when the bucket gets full, sell the brass. http://images.thehighroad.org/smilies/tongue.gif

If you enjoyed reading about "More setup queries" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!