Wilson 47D Magazine Failure

PDA

Jeremy2171
August 16, 2013, 02:20 PM
Sorry for the revival but I just returned 8 mags ...47s and 47Ds for various reasons.

ALL wouldn't reliably lock the slide back...several had feed issues (lip gap) and one when I ejected it lost the base plate into the abyss of grass.

Call to check on it and they said springs and followers aren't covered under warranty and they would be glad to charge me for 8 sets of new ones....I said what about the feed lips?? Oh well I guess we will check that and replace THOSE mags and then charge you for the remaining sets... mags are 2-3 years old...

Waiting to see what they say....

from the website:
"No-Risk Service Policy - If It Breaks from Normal Use, We Replace It!"
we will see...

If you enjoyed reading about "Wilson 47D Magazine Failure" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
9mmepiphany
August 16, 2013, 03:28 PM
I thought this would be better as a new thread than reviving one that was a couple of years old.

Here is the original thread (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=9068056)

SSN Vet
August 16, 2013, 03:43 PM
I think Tripp has a much better follower than Wilson...

metal where it should be and poly were it should be.

RainDodger
August 16, 2013, 04:40 PM
I don't buy 47Ds anymore. They wouldn't lock the slide back on my Springfield either.

460Kodiak
August 16, 2013, 07:15 PM
Had good luck with my ETM's, but they aren't very old.

tarosean
August 17, 2013, 02:08 AM
Mags are consumable products. Toss em and carry on..

mljdeckard
August 17, 2013, 03:14 AM
Never had a problem with mine. I might try some Tripps.

tnxdshooter
August 17, 2013, 05:13 AM
I prefer Chip McCormick power mags over the Wilson and tripp mags.

Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.

ku4hx
August 17, 2013, 05:45 AM
+1 If new springs and followers won't rehab them, they're like light bulbs and batteries ... use 'em up; toss 'em out.

9mmepiphany
August 17, 2013, 11:09 AM
This has been my experience also. Magazines are like brake pads and turbochargers, their wear is normal, as is their replacement.

Replacing springs is easy and relatively inexpensive. Cracked or expanded feed lips are usually a sign that it is time for replacement.

The only magazines I've ever owned that haven't needed replacement have been for the H&K P7

Jeremy2171
August 17, 2013, 12:05 PM
Well there are many reports of Wilson replacing mags that are worn out for free. Hence the warranty statement...

I agree..mine are worn out..I'm tossing them back to the manufacturer

HOOfan_1
August 17, 2013, 04:09 PM
This has been my experience also. Magazines are like brake pads and turbochargers, their wear is normal, as is their replacement.

Replacing springs is easy and relatively inexpensive. Cracked or expanded feed lips are usually a sign that it is time for replacement.

The only magazines I've ever owned that haven't needed replacement have been for the H&K P7

My dad bought a Llama back in 1968-1972. Between the two of us it has probably seen 20,000+ rounds. We are still using the original 3 magazines and springs, and I've never seen it jam or stovepipe, and it always locks open on an empty mag. For $30+ I would expect the Wilson Combats to work for more than 2 or 3 years and be a little more durable than a $1 light bulb.

LeonCarr
August 17, 2013, 04:14 PM
Back when I was pouring money into 1911s trying to keep them running, the magazines I had the best luck with were the Metalforms. The Wilsons and McCormicks worked good, but both of them either out of the box or short term eventually would not lock the slide open on the last round.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Pablito1
August 18, 2013, 12:14 AM
I have a Wilson Elite Tactical magazine that is 3 months old. When the next to last round is fired the last round pops out of the mag and lands on top. The slide locks back and the round just lays there loose. No more Wilsons for me.

Regards, Pablito

JDGray
August 18, 2013, 10:54 AM
Tripp follower kits in SA magazines, work awesome for a cheap mag. I had Wilson followers go bad in just a few reloads, not the best design. To be fair, the slide stop on my Kimber was a bit hard to lift due to a microscopic dimple on the plunger face. My Tripp followers and springs had no issues with it however.

Hangingrock
August 18, 2013, 01:45 PM
I replied to subject about the quality of Wilson magazines on this forum a couple years or so ago. Some of the replies I received you would have thought I had taken their Sainted Mothers name in vain. When Wilson changed their design to the ETM I felt vindicated.

Jeremy2171
August 28, 2013, 09:09 PM
Still no word....may have to give them a whats up call tomorrow....

Fishbed77
August 29, 2013, 09:31 AM

I too have been very pleased with the Chip McCormick Power Mags. They have always functioned perfectly for me (and they cost less too!).

Jolly Rogers
August 30, 2013, 05:36 AM
The statement to discard worn out mags is all well and good. However Wilson does not sell inexpensive mags. They get top dollar for their products. Won't drink the koolade...
Joe

ku4hx
August 30, 2013, 06:36 AM
The statement to discard worn out mags is all well and good. However Wilson does not sell inexpensive mags. They get top dollar for their products. Won't drink the koolade...
Joe
The only truly "expensive" magazines are those that don't work and can't be fixed in a reasonably short period of time. My time is worth a great deal to me and there comes a point where expending a lot of it on a problematic magazine is no longer worth it.

We all have to decide for ourselves what is reasonable when it comes to time and effort, but in the long run, magazines are simply not something expensive enough for me to worry about ... none of them.

HOOfan_1
August 30, 2013, 10:49 AM
The only truly "expensive" magazines are those that don't work and can't be fixed in a reasonably short period of time. My time is worth a great deal to me and there comes a point where expending a lot of it on a problematic magazine is no longer worth it.

We all have to decide for ourselves what is reasonable when it comes to time and effort, but in the long run, magazines are simply not something expensive enough for me to worry about ... none of them.

Well, many people buy magazines by the boat load. That cost adds up.

Why would you buy a $32 magazine that seems to wear out rather fast, when you can buy an $18 magazine which will last much longer?

JTQ
August 30, 2013, 11:08 AM
I've got no stake in the debate, I have an eclectic collection of mags, included within that group are a couple of Wilson mags.

However, for our retired Marine, Jeremy2171, for what it's worth, the USMC specified mag for their 1911's is the Wilson 47, the 7 round full size mag.

For HOOfan_1, I suspect the USMC feels their Wilson mags are
a little more durable than a $1 light bulb

Springs and followers are wear items. If they are worn out, I wouldn't expect Wilson to replace those for you. If your feed lips have cracked, that is probably something worth asking about a warrantee claim.

HOOfan_1
August 30, 2013, 12:10 PM
Springs and followers are wear items. If they are worn out, I wouldn't expect Wilson to replace those for you. If your feed lips have cracked, that is probably something worth asking about a warrantee claim.

The guy said he has had them for 2 or 3 years. I can't imagine he has shot enough in 2 or 3 years to wear out a spring or follower of reasonable quality.

Not to mention I was replying to this

and this

+1 If new springs and followers won't rehab them, they're like light bulbs and batteries ... use 'em up; toss 'em out.

and this

Which is to say that I an not commenting on the quality of Wilson's magazines, for all I know the OP's experience is an aberration. I am commenting on the fact that other posters think it is perfectly normal for a premium magazine to be worn out and thrown away after 2 or 3 years of use, without even knowing how many rounds the OP has fired.

He has 8 Mags....even if he has fired 15,000 rounds in 3 years, that is less than 2000 rounds per a magazine.

Tires are a wear item than needs to be replaced too...but if I buy $300 a piece Pirelli tires and they only last me 2 or 3 years and 15 thousand miles, I wouldn't expect anyone to tell me "yeah, just toss em and replace em, that is normal"

9mmepiphany
August 30, 2013, 03:22 PM
Tires are a wear item than needs to be replaced too...but if I buy $300 a piece Pirelli tires and they only last me 2 or 3 years and 15 thousand miles, I wouldn't expect anyone to tell me "yeah, just toss em and replace em, that is normal"
I don't know about your $300 Pirellis...I gather they aren't the high performance ones... but I know more than a couple of guys that go through $1k tires in about a year and 12-15kk miles who just throw them away when they get to that point. When they are worn out, why wouldn't you throw them away?

I budget to replace my tires every couple of years

I am commenting on the fact that other posters think it is perfectly normal for a premium magazine to be worn out and thrown away after 2 or 3 years of use, without even knowing how many rounds the OP has fired.
If you read Hilton Yam's articles, he believes a normal replacement cycle for 1911 mags is about a year...but that is on a duty gun with which he stays in practice for defensive purposes. His advice is that once a mag starts to cause feeding problems, they should be discarded...it isn't a matter of age or number of rounds, but of function. I don't think mags for competitive purposes would even last that long.

1911 mags wear out a bit faster than mags for many other guns, it is part of the price for choosing to carry a 1911. The ones with the fastest failure rate seem to be the 7-round mags converted to carry 8-rounds...it is the additional upward pressure.

The Wilson 47D seems to fare better as a 7-round mag, the ETM is more optimized for 8-rounds (longer tube, stronger spring)

HOOfan_1
August 30, 2013, 03:33 PM
When they are worn out, why wouldn't you throw them away?

I agree...but if I spent $1K per a tire, and I was only doing normal day to day driving and those tires only lasted 15K miles, I wouldn't be buying those tires again. My $120 per tire, tires tend to last 30,000 miles.

I didn't know 1911 mags were supposed to be so wear worthy. I only have experience with those 45 year old Llama mags, and they do everything I need them to do...they are a little chewed up too.

9mmepiphany
August 30, 2013, 03:55 PM
It is always a balance between wear and handling qualities ;)

The shortest life expectancy, of quality magazines, seem to be single stack large caliber ones.

It isn't just the 1911, the H&K P9 and SIG 220 7-round mags have the same issues. The heavier .45ACP cartridges require a stronger spring in order to lift the cartridge column faster than the dwell time of the slide at the end of its rearward travel. The fatter cartridge means the feed lips must be wider apart. The cartridge column is being pressed straight up between the opening of the lips.

Jeremy2171
September 4, 2013, 04:40 PM
Just got off the phone after a long wait and I think I got a supervisor as he was looking for my mags (been there since the 14th) and he couldn't find them and I wasn't in the computer. Finally tracked them down to the CS rep I first talked to office. Still sitting there.....the supervisor asked me what was wrong with them..I gave him the quick version and he asked if I just wanted them sent to my address....I said sure and he said he would take care of it right away...

Will report back when I know more.

Jeremy2171
September 11, 2013, 09:15 PM
Got 8 brand new mags in the mail.....awesome..bad news is 5 of them are 7 rnd mags when I sent in 8rnd ones...
Oh well at least they took care of the issues...

Thumbs up to Wilson :D

9mmepiphany
September 11, 2013, 09:58 PM
Of the 2 8rd mags, did they upgrade you to the ETM or send you older 47Ds

Jeremy2171
September 11, 2013, 10:13 PM
They correctly exchanged the 3 47's for 3 47s..however the other 5 were the 8rnd 47dcb..they sent me the 7 rnd 47cb instead.

stinger 327
September 12, 2013, 02:21 PM
Of the 2 8rd mags, did they upgrade you to the ETM or send you older 47Ds
So what's the difference between the Wilson 47D Combat and the Wilson ETM-500 mags? Which one is preferred?

stinger 327
September 12, 2013, 02:22 PM

Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.
is it true with CMC power mags that they need adjustment before shooting? Also are they made of stainless steel like the Wilson brand?

9mmepiphany
September 12, 2013, 03:12 PM
So what's the difference between the Wilson 47D Combat and the Wilson ETM-500 mags? Which one is preferred?
If you insist on using Wilson Combat 8-rd magazines, the ETM is the better mag. The ETM addresses the 47D's issues with follower wear and lip spread...in addition to spring weakness. The 47D was an excellent 7-rd mag as designed by Rogers and was the first mag with a removable floorplate for easier cleaning.

is it true with CMC power mags that they need adjustment before shooting? Also are they made of stainless steel like the Wilson brand?
I'm not sure what you'd adjust.

The CMC magazine is an evolution of the original 8-rd magazines design by Devel. The Power Mag is better than any other flush fitting 8-rd mag and competes with extended body 8-rd mags because it's folded follower allows more spring pressure. The only complaint I've heard about Power Mags is that the follower moves forward after the last round is fed and strikes the frame, but since this is below the feed ramp, it doesn't affect function....if this bothers you, you can get the Power Mag Plus with it's non-jumping follower.

The ETM is comparable in function to the Power Mag, but needs a longer body to do it. I usually recommend the Power Mag, then the ETM and then the Tripp Cobra Mag (it sits higher in the frame and doesn't work with all guns)

stinger 327
September 12, 2013, 03:22 PM
If you insist on using Wilson Combat 8-rd magazines, the ETM is the better mag. The ETM addresses the 47D's issues with follower wear and lip spread...in addition to spring weakness. The 47D was an excellent 7-rd mag as designed by Rogers and was the first mag with a removable floorplate for easier cleaning.

I'm not sure what you'd adjust.

The CMC magazine is an evolution of the original 8-rd magazines design by Devel. The Power Mag is better than any other flush fitting 8-rd mag and competes with extended body 8-rd mags because it's folded follower allows more spring pressure. The only complaint I've heard about Power Mags is that the follower moves forward after the last round is fed and strikes the frame, but since this is below the feed ramp, it doesn't affect function....if this bothers you, you can get the Power Mag Plus with it's non-jumping follower.

The ETM is comparable in function to the Power Mag, but needs a longer body to do it. I usually recommend the Power Mag, then the ETM and then the Tripp Cobra Mag (it sits higher in the frame and doesn't work with all guns)
There are different magazines under one brand name. I am interested in 8 rd. and 10 rd. 1911 magazines. I already have a CMC Shooting Star, Wilson Combat 47D and the brand that comes with RIA 1911 which is made in Italy. All 3 of these are 8 rd. magazines.

9mmepiphany
September 12, 2013, 04:06 PM
Without checking, I'd guess that the magazine that came with your RIA is either Mec-Gar or ACT-Mag...both are Italian.

Your other 8-rd magazines are a generation behind current production magazines

stinger 327
September 12, 2013, 04:15 PM
Without checking, I'd guess that the magazine that came with your RIA is either Mec-Gar or ACT-Mag...both are Italian.

Your other 8-rd magazines are a generation behind current production magazines
Yes it's ACT mag for the RIA. You mean the Wilson 47D, Shooting Star CMC are outdated?:confused:

Hangingrock
September 12, 2013, 04:17 PM
This topic I followed with interest because of my experience with Wilson 47D series magazines. Because of that experience I switched to the CMC Power Mag. Wilson Never replaced my magazines. They weren't interested in resolving the issue. Apparently they've have undergone an attitude adjustment since the advent of the ETM design which addresses the failings of the 47D series.

stinger 327
September 12, 2013, 04:27 PM
This topic I followed with interest because of my experience with Wilson 47D series magazines. Because of that experience I switched to the CMC Power Mag. Wilson Never replaced my magazines. They weren't interested in resolving the issue. Apparently they've have undergone an attitude adjustment since the advent of the ETM design which addresses the failings of the 47D series.
So in other words the ETM is a superior magazine than the Wilson Combat 47D magazine. I haven't heard of any problems with the 47D.

9mmepiphany
September 12, 2013, 06:24 PM
Much superior, it addressed all the shortcomings of the 47D that I mentioned in Post #33.

The CMC Shooting Star was superseded by the Power Mag.

The ETM and the Power Mag are pretty much on an equal footing as to function, but the Power Mag is lower profile for CCW due to it's shorter body

Jeremy2171
September 25, 2013, 01:43 PM
Sorry for the delay I got busy and couldn't call wilson..

Just talked to them..the said send back the 7rnd mags and they would replace them with 8's ASAP..

So I'm more than happy with Wilson and will continue to buy from them...

stinger 327
September 25, 2013, 02:04 PM
Sorry for the delay I got busy and couldn't call wilson..

Just talked to them..the said send back the 7rnd mags and they would replace them with 8's ASAP..

So I'm more than happy with Wilson and will continue to buy from them...
I would just looking at the Wilson it appears to be of higher quality over the CMC magazines.

Fishbed77
September 26, 2013, 10:01 AM
The ETM and the Power Mag are pretty much on an equal footing as to function, but the Power Mag is lower profile for CCW due to it's shorter body

I've pretty much standardized on the CMC Power Mags because they are stupidly reliable and a good bit less-expensive than the Wilson 47D or ETM.

If I had to levy one small complaint with the Power Mags, it would be with their tilting follower design, which makes them a little fumbly to load. But its still a small price to pay for such a reliable and affordable design.

stinger 327
September 26, 2013, 11:00 AM
I've pretty much standardized on the CMC Power Mags because they are stupidly reliable and a good bit less-expensive than the Wilson 47D or ETM.

If I had to levy one small complaint with the Power Mags, it would be with their tilting follower design, which makes them a little fumbly to load. But its still a small price to pay for such a reliable and affordable design.
That tilting looks like it could become a problem.

gunsablazin
September 26, 2013, 11:20 AM
I use the 47D's for carry and competition. The competition mags are numbered and I check the ones I plan to use before each match to make sure they will lock my pistol open. The springs and followers do wear out, and it is a simple matter to replace them. Most of mine are at least 10 years old , and I expect to rebuild then every 2-3 years. I have seen pistols that do not like them at all, and it's best to try one in your gun before buying a slew of them. If I were buying a new set today, I'd upgrade to the ETM mag.

stinger 327
September 26, 2013, 11:45 AM
I use the 47D's for carry and competition. The competition mags are numbered and I check the ones I plan to use before each match to make sure they will lock my pistol open. The springs and followers do wear out, and it is a simple matter to replace them. Most of mine are at least 10 years old , and I expect to rebuild then every 2-3 years. I have seen pistols that do not like them at all, and it's best to try one in your gun before buying a slew of them. If I were buying a new set today, I'd upgrade to the ETM mag.
you use those mags more than the average person would?

9mmepiphany
September 26, 2013, 12:28 PM
It's not.

Once you load the first round it can't tilt and it can't tilt again until the last round is fed out of the mag

gunsablazin
September 26, 2013, 12:37 PM
Yes, I shoot far more than the typical shooter. I will go through 500-700 rds of .45 ammo a month.

Fishbed77
September 26, 2013, 02:47 PM

And yet it is not.

As 9mmepiphany points out, all it does is make the first round or two a little awkward to load. Reliability of the Power Mags have been flawless for me. Since I can buy 3 Power Mags for every 2 Wilson 47Ds, and reliability is equal or better, I see no need to do otherwise.

stinger 327
September 26, 2013, 02:58 PM
And yet it is not.

As 9mmepiphany points out, all it does is make the first round or two a little awkward to load. Reliability of the Power Mags have been flawless for me. Since I can buy 3 Power Mags for every 2 Wilson 47Ds, and reliability is equal or better, I see no need to do otherwise.
Aren't the CMC Power mags the same price as the Wilson Combat and ETM mags?

tarosean
September 26, 2013, 03:51 PM
Aren't the CMC Power mags the same price as the Wilson Combat and ETM mags?

I guess it depends on where you get them.. Generally they are priced from a couple dollars to more than 10 bucks cheaper than ETM's.

stinger 327
September 26, 2013, 04:06 PM
I guess it depends on where you get them.. Generally they are priced from a couple dollars to more than 10 bucks cheaper than ETM's.
I don't have the website but they were a few dollars difference.

HOOfan_1
September 26, 2013, 04:16 PM
I don't have the website but they were a few dollars difference.

At Midway
Regular price of the Power Mag 8 rounds $24.99
Regular price of the ETM 8 rounds $33.99
Regular price 47D $31.99

stinger 327
September 26, 2013, 04:44 PM
At Midway
Regular price of the Power Mag 8 rounds $24.99
Regular price of the ETM 8 rounds $33.99
Regular price 47D $31.99
Those are good prices. At local gunshop it's $35.00 - $40.00 either brand.

ghitch75
September 26, 2013, 05:00 PM
as long as there are no cracks in the body they get resprung and new followers and away i go......

stinger 327
October 14, 2013, 12:22 PM
So for Wilson magazines which website has the best prices?:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Wilson 47D Magazine Failure" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!