Is dry firing mossberg 500 dangerous?

PDA

aguywithagun
August 17, 2013, 01:50 AM
i was told that dry firing could potentially cause the firing pin to lock in the extended position, setting off a round as soon as it's chambered.

thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Is dry firing mossberg 500 dangerous?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
lloveless
August 17, 2013, 02:16 AM
I would call Mossberg for the definitive answer.
ll

200Apples
August 17, 2013, 02:52 AM
^ ^ ^ what he said.

In the meantime, it's always good practice to invest in snap caps/dummy rounds. This way, you may fire the weapon with no harm to the firing pin and also gain the handling experience by practicing loading the shotgun.

Snap caps aren't necessarily cheap, but they're an invaluable tool used in training.

Eb1
August 17, 2013, 03:05 AM
DISCLAMER! USE A FIRED SHOT SHELL. NOT A NEW UN-FIRED SHOT SHELL.

Take a fired round.
Use a small screwdriver or ice pick to knock out the spent primer from the fired round.
Replace the fired primer with a pencil eraser, goop (rubber cement), caulk, or hot glue. You know, something that is rubbery and springy.
Cut the crimp that has opened from firing off the shotgun shell with a box cutter or pocket knife, and fill the shot shell hull with hot glue and a few fishing sinkers to give it some weight.
Use a sharpie or paint pen to mark the new practice rounds as "SNAPS".

Now you have a snap cap. Replace the the primer filling as necessary if it gets to be worn.

Why pay money in this day and age for something that can be made with supplies you should have around your house? Buy food and gas, or put the money in a jar to stick in the ground, or buy gold, a new shotgun, or more shot-shells.

Good luck. I do this with rifle and pistol casings. Works fine.

oneounceload
August 17, 2013, 07:00 AM
AZOOMS aren't expensive and cannot be accidentally mistaken for your home-made dummy round.

Do NOT get the plastic ones that are clear with red - the rims break off quickly and are a PITA to remove once that happens. The AZOOMS are training rounds made of solid aluminum with a soft "primer"
They are excellent for practicing reloading, dry firing, etc.

Virginian
August 17, 2013, 07:25 AM
Based on the YouTube video of the guy who blows a hole in his ceiling, I would have to say it can be.

JShirley
August 17, 2013, 08:15 AM
Most centerfire designs can be safely dryfired with no problems. A notable exception is the CZ52.

I've seen many unsafe actions on YouTube.

John

jmr40
August 17, 2013, 12:50 PM
With virtually all modern centerfire guns dry firing will not hurt anything. Parts will break at exactly the same round count whether it is from dry firing or live firing. If your gun is safe to dry fire, you do not need snap caps. If the manufacturer says not to dry fire then I wouldn't do it, even with snap caps. I have not specifically checked on the 500, but I doubt it would hurt anything.

loose noose
August 17, 2013, 01:55 PM
Snap caps are not that expensive, invest in package of them at your local GPS.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is dry firing mossberg 500 dangerous?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!