Heads up to dog owners

PDA

MCgunner
August 17, 2013, 12:55 PM
I'm headed to Waco for opening dove weekend and needed a dog crate for my lab to ride in the bed of the truck. How fortuitous, I found a sale on at TSC. Not sure if it's nation wide, though. This was the store in Columbus, Texas. They had 40 percent off dog crates. These are wire, collapsible for storage. I got a XXL one, regular 85 bucks for $50. Just thought I'd pass on a heads up if you might need such a thing.

If you enjoyed reading about "Heads up to dog owners" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GJSchulze
August 17, 2013, 07:38 PM
If that crate is anything like ours, I suggest that you wire or use tie wraps on the edges so that a sudden stop or acceleration doesn't collapse it. That goes for the latches on the gate as well. I hope that you'll tie it down somehow as well.

hoghunting
August 18, 2013, 01:07 AM
I'm headed to Waco for opening dove weekend and needed a dog crate for my lab to ride in the bed of the truck

Now MC, there's nothing like the smell of a wet dog in the cab of your truck!!! Good luck opening weekend.

Sapper_Daddy
August 18, 2013, 06:06 AM
Now MC, there's nothing like the smell of a wet dog in the cab of your truck!!! Good luck opening weekend.
Haha thats for sure! My buddy knows he's welcome in the "huntin truck".

MCgunner
August 18, 2013, 08:53 PM
Hey, it's a brand new standard cab Silverado, not even 2K miles on it. I let her in the back seat of the car, a 2002 Toyota Echo with 192K miles. :D

I kinda thought I'd put a motorcycle ratchet tie down across it and through the wire on top to keep it from sliding around. I'll take along some ty wraps in case I have problems with it. :D I pretty much have to take the truck this trip. My buddy is gonna load me up with sacked corn. He always does, helps out with the feeders out back. He'll be down here in November to try to score a buck and maybe a pig, who knows? We'll probably try to get a goose hunt going, too, with an outfitter over at Eagle Lake later in the year. I love dove season, though. It starts everything off well, good friends, good times.

shiftyer1
August 18, 2013, 10:49 PM
Geez, it's that time already!!! I guess my wife was right when she told me I was working too much. Time to hit the breaks!!!

I have that crate and have had good luck with it. I used it for some pygmy goats also without problems.....from the cage anyway.....darn goats!!!

hoghunting
August 19, 2013, 12:37 AM
MC,

Did you see many white wings last dove season? I dove hunt about 40 miles NW of Dallas and we only have mourning doves flying in the fields, but in Dallas they are every where in town along with the eurasians. Guess they've learned to stay in town and hit the bird feeders.

tarosean
August 19, 2013, 12:42 AM
Hey, it's a brand new standard cab Silverado, not even 2K miles on it.

So its a used truck.. In Southern TX this time a year your dog should be in the cab IMO.

Kingcreek
August 19, 2013, 10:10 AM
I have one of those crates. I would highly recommend using zip ties on the corners. My black lab managed to collapse it when she was a pup and got loose.

I never transport a dog in the back of a truck unless it is secured with straps.
I hit a deer on I90 in the middle of South Dakota on a pheasant hunting trip, bent the steering tie rod and lost control at over 75mph. First time I ever had a 3/4 ton truck on 2 wheels. Spun out through the median and got stopped with my front tires on the far side shoulders and the back end in the ditch. First thing I did was check the dogs and they were fine. But if they hadn't been strapped in, I doubt they would have come through it as well.

MCgunner
August 19, 2013, 01:07 PM
MC,

Did you see many white wings last dove season? I dove hunt about 40 miles NW of Dallas and we only have mourning doves flying in the fields, but in Dallas they are every where in town along with the eurasians. Guess they've learned to stay in town and hit the bird feeders.

When I lived in Port Lavaca, I used to have hundreds of white wings around my house in town, not a one out on my place in the county. It seems the way with white wings. I had Eurasians taking over couple of seasons ago on my place, though. Those things are big and tasty. :D

Where we hunt on my buddy's land near West north of Waco, it's mostly mourning doves. We took a few pigeons last year, was kinda neat. Lots of birds, though, lots of action.

buck460XVR
August 19, 2013, 01:13 PM
I'm headed to Waco for opening dove weekend and needed a dog crate for my lab to ride in the bed of the truck. How fortuitous, I found a sale on at TSC. Not sure if it's nation wide, though. This was the store in Columbus, Texas. They had 40 percent off dog crates. These are wire, collapsible for storage. I got a XXL one, regular 85 bucks for $50. Just thought I'd pass on a heads up if you might need such a thing.

Was in my local Tractor Supply Store here in Wisconsin last week and they had the same sale goin' on. Think it was "Pet Appreciation Week. Had $5 off all premium dog food brands, so I stocked up for my GWP.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/buckanddot/100_3939a_zps07efe946.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/buckanddot/media/100_3939a_zps07efe946.jpg.html)

If you enjoyed reading about "Heads up to dog owners" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!