Glock 19 opinions?

PDA

ericp1
August 18, 2013, 02:01 AM
Currently I have Mossberg 500 12 ga 6-round and Ruger SP-101 5-round .357.
The reason for these are that they are easy to operate in case of home break-in or nasty outside encounter. Both are hard to jam or make malfunction.

In my 'Handgun 101' class we were exposed to 2 revolvers and 4 semis.
The revolvers were trouble free (although the light frame one was unpleasant).
3 of 4 semis jammed for me or someone else in class. The zero-jam one was a Glock 19.

I am considering getting a semi for entertainment and for a backup to the others (in case in the shop etc).

Opinions on the Glock 19? My experience with it on the range was pleasant.
Have since tried side to side Gen 3 and Gen 4. I prefer the Gen 3 (fits my hand well and does not have the fussy grip add on thingies).

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock 19 opinions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HOOfan_1
August 18, 2013, 02:20 AM
Most modern semi-autos from quality manufacturers are perfectly reliable., if they are lubed well enough. What were the guns which jammed? Just as likely caused by bad ammo, bad magazines or not being lubed. You can have failures in a Glock as well. The way certain people hold it sometimes causes problems. I have over 2000 rounds through my Glock 19. I have not had a single failure. My dad shot it and had 4 or 5 in a row. He was bending both of his arms way too much and not gripping it tight enough. As soon as I told him to straighten at least one of his arms, the failures stopped. I tried to simulate his failures by limp wristing the gun myself and I had no failures at all. There was just some perfect storm about the way my dad was holding the gun which caused the failures.

I have over 2500 rounds through my FNP40 with only a couple of failures, and that was due to canted bullets....it has a tighter chamber, other than that, it was been even more reliable than my Glock for myself and my dad.

Advantage of the Glock 19 (some of these vary person to person)

1) Great intermediate size.
2) Same trigger pull from shot 1 to shot 15, 17 or 33
4) Simple to field strip, simple to detail strip the slide without any special tools.
5) Easy to find parts, especially magazines, and parts are generally cheaper.

horsemen61
August 18, 2013, 02:23 AM
I love the one I have and yes I agree that the gen 3 is better

JH225
August 18, 2013, 02:30 AM
I carried a Kimber 1911 for many years. Recently I thought I would give the Kimber a break. Went on a new CC gun hunt. Having had a G27 many years ago and hating it, I didn't think of one for at least 20 years. Well, as soon as I held a Glock 19 Gen 4, I knew I would have to try one out.

Brought one home, ran it through its paces and it is now CC (or my new G26). Fantastic guns and I am glad I gave Glock another chance.

The newest Glocks (gen 3 & 4) are so much more ergonomic than previous generations (in my opinion), are very reliable and I see no reason you won't be happy too.

RBid
August 18, 2013, 02:35 AM
I love mine, and my 23. I prefer the Gen 4 version. The medium, beaver tail backstrap is awesome. I use my 19 for EDC and nightstand duty. Fantastic, do-it-all pistol.

mljdeckard
August 18, 2013, 02:47 AM
I tell my concealed carry students, if you MUST choose a gun, and you absolutely cannot shoot it before buying it, find a used Glock 19. It is very simple and reliable, and you may decide to keep it forever. It is standardized enough that any accessory or add-on on the planet will be available for it.

The Lone Haranguer
August 18, 2013, 08:02 AM
I've had mine since 1998 and shot several bushels of ammo through it. This is in the "top tier" of defensive sidearms.

PakWaan
August 18, 2013, 09:11 AM
The Glock 19 is a great gun. I'm a 1911 .45 guy now, but have owned lots of 9mm pistols over the years. The only one I still have is my Glock 19. I carried it as my duty weapon when I was a police officer and trusted it with my life every day. Still would.

Warp
August 18, 2013, 09:34 AM
The reason for these are that they are easy to operate in case of home break-in or nasty outside encounter. Both are hard to jam or make malfunction.

3 of 4 semis jammed for me or someone else in class. The zero-jam one was a Glock 19.

I am considering getting a semi for entertainment and for a backup to the others (in case in the shop etc).

Have since tried side to side Gen 3 and Gen 4. I prefer the Gen 3 (fits my hand well and does not have the fussy grip add on thingies).

It is actually quite easy to have a pump shotgun malfunction. Short stroking is not-uncommon, especially under stress.

The Glock 19 is an outstanding pistol.

hentown
August 18, 2013, 10:18 AM
I shoot a G17 and G26 in 9mm; also own G21, G20 and G29. I carry the G26 daily. I depend on the G17 for a nightstand firearm. I'd much prefer the G17 to any shotgun made, for up-close self-defense purposes.

If I did use one of my shotguns for home defense, it wouldn't be a pump; it'd be a semi-auto. Lots of disadvantages to pumps in close quarters.

If I ever see a deal (around $400) for a ln 3rd gen G19, I'll buy it.

tarosean
August 18, 2013, 10:27 AM
It is actually quite easy to have a pump shotgun malfunction. Short stroking is not-uncommon, especially under stress.

you can also make a glock malfunction quite easily..

HexHead
August 18, 2013, 11:08 AM
My first Glock was a 19. I was dubious about Glocks, so I got one to see what all the hub bub was about. I ended up really liking it. Next I picked up a 26, and basically stopped carrying the 19. Even getting a Milt Sparks Versa-Max2 holster for it didn't change that.
Then I got a 17 and pretty much stopped taking the 19 to the range too. After it just sat for a year I sold it.

The 19 is a great choice if you're only going to have one Glock. But it's a compromise. Doesn't carry as easily as a 26 and not as comfortable in the hand as a 17. The spacing of the finger grooves on the 19 made my hand feel crowded in comparison to the 17. I hear that's been addressed with the Gen4.

If you aren't planning on carrying it, I recommend considering a 17. It's the Glock that started it all.

allaroundhunter
August 18, 2013, 11:29 AM
My Glock 19 is my main carry gun, and since replacing the guide rod and recoil spring it has been problem free, and that was about 6,000 rounds ago. However, I am fortunate enough to have a Gen 2 ;)

Flfiremedic
August 18, 2013, 11:51 AM
My Glock 19 is my EDC. People in really bad parts of the world, in harms way daily, carry and trust them. With modern ronds the 9mm is effective-very effective. Glocks aren't as fancy and don't get you many cool points as with other weapons...but they are accurate and utterly reliable.
With a bit more training and practice the 23 can be a better choice, however, without significantly more regular practice, I find that skills diminish more quickly due to the additional recoil. The choice between the two is as simple as an honest assessment of time you can and will dedictate to practicing and training.
For me, if S&T require a full size or heavier caliber, I still choose the Glock, and truthfully as a stateside civillian, rarely feel undergunned with the 19.
Two pieces of advice; Spend the extra $$ and get nightsites, and remember you get what you pay for with holsters. Just my opinion.

Respects,

Medic

ETA Im a Gen 3 fan

Flfiremedic
August 18, 2013, 11:52 AM
Well said Hex. Spot on.

ku4hx
August 18, 2013, 11:57 AM
Shoot many; buy one. In our area, ranges rent guns and our gun club has new shooter classes which provide several hand guns to try. You might want to check out such possibilities at your location.

My Glock 19s (Gen3 and Gen4) are two of my most favorite guns. As far as the back straps on the Gen4 you can leave it off and the gun essentially becomes a Gen3 SF type configuration.

All guns can fail regardless of their type. That's one reason I feel being trained in malfunction clearing is such a good idea. If you read enough forums on the internet, you'll find plenty of postings on Glock failures of all sorts.

PabloJ
August 18, 2013, 12:20 PM
While if shopping for defensive gun today my top choice would be G30S the G19 is probably about as good all around defensive handgun one can get.

muggia59
August 18, 2013, 12:26 PM
I'm a major cz fan, but after shooting a few glocks I picked up a g19. Very nice and a great shooter. Still prefer my cz guns, but I will keep this g19. As Ive always said, "Millions of cops cant be wrong".

dogtown tom
August 18, 2013, 12:34 PM
tarosean Quote:

No duh.
You can make ANY firearm malfunction "quite easily"............what point are you trying to make?:scrutiny:

miles1
August 18, 2013, 12:34 PM
I also have a gen 3 glock19.Well worth the money and will last you a lifetime.They are a tool that is easy to take care and reliable.Get one and you won't be sorry.

Averageman
August 18, 2013, 12:38 PM
I own three Glocks 2 G17's and a G26.
I have thousands and thousands of rounds through them, one of them is my IDPA pistol; so it works especially hard.
I can assure you they have been trouble free, accurate and totally reliable. I would not reccomend anything but a Glock to you based upon my experiance.

I have owned and carried Colt 1911's, Ruger Security Six's, H&K's and none of them have been as easy to shoot and trouble free as the Glocks. They are a very solid pistol and a bargan at the price.
Good Luck with your G17.

Warp
August 18, 2013, 12:47 PM

You can.

However, I will wager that I could take new/novice shooters (male or female) and give each about an hour of instruction on a pump gun and the Glock...and with defensive ammo in each, in a timed/stress induced course of fire, the pump would be more likely to malfunction and/or suffer more malfunctions per X number of rounds fired. I think it would take a long time training, more than the vast majority of people will ever do, to even reach the break-even point.

Talk to anybody who has shot shotguns enough, or been around enough people doing so for time/score, and ask them how often they see short stroking. I would put that rate up against a semi auto pistol, such as a Glock 19, that is using good mags and good quality defensive ammo, any day.

But that is just me and my experience.

I had a pump shotgun as my HD gun for a long time, and until last year it was still my main HD gun, slotted ahead of my Glocks. You can't argue with the terminal performance/effectiveness of a 12 gauge vs 9mm pistol.

JTQ
August 18, 2013, 12:48 PM
Possibly my timeline is off, but last night at 11:40 PM you posted this in another thread...

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=725667
For semi, Glock is the Bargain Bentley. Fewer parts to go wrong than most semi, harder to jam, easier to maintain.

I have Mossy 500 12 ga, Ruger SP101 .357 (favorite gun ever), and Glock 19.

Twenty minutes later you posted this...

ericp1 wrote,

Do you already have a G19 as posted in the other thread?

Tcruse
August 18, 2013, 01:12 PM
I agree that G19 is a great gun. My only recommendation is to try the G17 Gen4 and the G26 Gen 4 when you try out the G19. I really have found the G17 Gen4 is a the exact right size of range shooting and the G26 as probably the largest that I can CC. Have no complaints about either the 17 or the 26. It was a hard decision on the G19 vs G17. There are just a lot of great choices, so have some fun trying out the ones that look interesting. One of my shooting buddies, just got a G19 gen 4 and could not be more happy.

GRIZ22
August 18, 2013, 01:47 PM
I've been shooting Glocks since about 1987. The G19 is the best all around 9mm there is.

IMO a 4" 357, preferably a GP100 or L frame is the best all around handgun. You can do just about anything with it. If you master a DA revolver everything else is easy.

tarosean
August 18, 2013, 02:07 PM
Talk to anybody who has shot shotguns enough, or been around enough people doing so for time/score, and ask them how often they see short stroking. I would put that rate up against a semi auto pistol, such as a Glock 19, that is using good mags and good quality defensive ammo, any day.

I just about only shoot shotguns and handguns now-a-days... Own 3 glocks including 2 19s.. Your preaching to the choir. However, its been my experience that they fail just as regularly as other handguns. I just don't make excuses like many do....

mgkdrgn
August 18, 2013, 02:22 PM

When I went to Front Sight in NV a few years ago for my 2 day handgun class, I rented a gun from them rather than have to travel with mine.

It was a Glock 19.

There were 20 people in my group, about 1/2 and 1/2 personal guns an G19 rentals.

And these were not -new- G19's by any stretch ... and we put 300+ rounds through them in 2 days.

NONE of the rental guns ever had a failure of any kind.

ALL of the other guns did.

Was enough to convince me .... went and bought a G26.

KYamateur
August 18, 2013, 02:39 PM
I'm not a huge Glock fan but if you read through many internet forums where people ask "If you could only have one gun?", you will most likely see the Glock 19 mentioned the most times. I would have to say I can agree with that. It's easy to shoot accurately, 100% or as close as it gets to reliable, the most corrosive resistant I have ever seen, and it is super simple to operate and take apart and clean. Some like the 17s better and some like the 26s better, but if you have average hands I would say the 19 is the one to buy. I am a fan of steel pistols, revolvers, and 1911s, but keep a Glock 19 beside my bed.

RetiredUSNChief
August 18, 2013, 03:55 PM
Errr...

Let me get this straight: you had a "class" of some sort (your "Handygun 101" reference) where 3 out of the 4 semi-automatics they had malfunctioned?

I'd be greatly interested in knowing what these other three semi-automatics were that malfunctioned, including how they malfunctioned.

Given the general quality of most firearms today, that seems to be an abnormally high percentage of failure rates. Without knowing more information on these pistols, the one common factor I can positively see with these failures is...(insert drum roll here)...THE HANDYGUN 101 CLASS!

If you would, please post some more information.

As for the Glock 19...

I don't like Glocks, period. However, I freely admit this is a personal bias based solely on what I consider to be an absolutely ugly looking firearm. Glocks have an excellent track record for quality and reliability that ranks right up at the top of the list with the best of them.

They're just uglier than sin, in my opinion.

;)

Buzznrose
August 18, 2013, 05:04 PM
How? Short of holding the slide somehow??? Why would you do that?

Bobson
August 18, 2013, 05:26 PM
I love the G19. Its been my go-to CCW handgun for over a year, and its never jammed on me. I find the weight and size to be perfectly manageable, and I love the grip size far more than either the G17 or G26. Mag capacity is great too, at 15+1 in a compact frame. You really can't lose.

Ben86
August 18, 2013, 06:35 PM
The G19 is my choice for a general purpose pistol. It's substantial enough for HD and small enough for CC. I shoot it fine and it's very reliable. It's also very light weight for it's size.

I have other guns for fun, but for serious purposes I use my G19. Not that shooting the gun isn't plenty fun! ;)

Rodfac
August 18, 2013, 08:13 PM
Great gun, easy to keep running, even when dirty. I once ran 600 rounds through a brand new G19 (at Front Sight's 4-day Defensive Handgun Course), without cleaning it...you guessed it, zero malfunctions, nada.

Glocks have a different trigger than most any other type of handgun...it took me a cpl hundred rounds to learn to use it effectively, that said, it's first rate for defensive use...light enough for good accuracy (lighter than say most any double action revolvers and I've got a slew of Smiths, several Colts and a Ruger to know the difference), but heavy enough to prevent inadvertent firing in an encounter where the adrenalin is flowing.

They're accurate in the three specimens I've owned: two G19's and a G23. Accurate enuf to put 7 rounds in an inch spread at 10-12 yards from a modified Weaver Stance. The trigger pull, always the same if you don't use the "reset", makes the follow up shot as accurate as the first one, if you do your part. With a Sig, DA/SA, I have a problem with that 2nd shot being out of the group, but several state and federal LEO friends say it's just a training issue...use one gun all the time and you'll eventually learn to shoot it well!

Parts are readily available and they're easy to install...just consult one of the 10,000 U-Tube posts on how to do it.

They have a low bore to top of your gripping hand distance, lower than any other automatic of my acquaintance: I"ve got Colts, Rugers, two Sigs.
That equates to less flip up during recoil allowing better control and accuracy of follow up shots. I do better with them than with a 1911, in any caliber.

Reliability: they set the standard for the industry...a loaded statement that'll probably get me flamed...but it's the truth...ask the instructors at Front Sight, et al....

My one complaint is that the grips are overly large for a lot of shooters...I have size L hands, and find them a stretch, but you can get used to them...for a small handed individual, man or woman, I'd think they were too big to do really good work...the Gen 4's are better, but even with the smallest size, they seem large.

I think they're ugly, make that fugly, but extremely well designed for the purpose...a no s**t, hands down and dirty defensive piece that's light and powerful. The G19 and the 9mm round it fires are a good defensive choice for a shooter with medium to large hands; pick a good bullet for defensive use, one that the gun likes and not just the mall ninja's here on the web, and you;'ll be well armed.

HTH's Rod

leadcounsel
August 18, 2013, 08:20 PM
The Glocks overwhelmingly are used in handgun competition for a reason. Simple, affordable, reliable, accurate, easy to maintain, rugged, durable, and on and on and on...

Among handguns, haters can hate, but it's difficult to find a gun that overall is better at self defense applications (where you rely on immediate, reliable, durable and accurate self defense).

The G19 is an excellent choice. If you plan to carry it, it's a very good carry size gun. You could go smaller if you desire. If it's SOLEY for home defense, I would go with a larger frame such as the G17 or G34. The added size will aid in recoil and accuracy.

The 9x19mm is among the best available. If you do your part, the gun and caliber will do its part.

I would feel totally comfortable carrying and relying on the G19 and quality ammo for self defense (and I can chose from nearly any handgun in my own large collection). In fact, Glocks are among my FIRST choice for this role.

palmetto99
August 18, 2013, 08:52 PM
There are alot of good 9mm pistols on the market similar to the Glock model 19. That said, my primary pistol for carry is the model 19. Mine is a gen 2 purchased new in 1995. Other than grip tape, no mods. A good solid pistol.

orionengnr
August 18, 2013, 09:34 PM
Did the OP get busted as a troll in post #23?
Yep, looks that way to me.

But as usual, nobody reads the post...just "tacks on" their opinion.
Trolls and fanboys are becoming all too common here on THR....

Warp
August 18, 2013, 09:37 PM

Trolls and fanboys are becoming all too common here on THR....

It does seem that way.

OP appears to be trolling.

Flfiremedic
August 18, 2013, 10:14 PM
Good catch!

Bobson
August 18, 2013, 10:17 PM

The OP requests opinions on the G19. I don't need to read 40+ posts of other opinions on the G19 before becoming eligible or qualified to share my own experience with it.

ericp1
August 19, 2013, 02:19 AM
JTQ,

The Glock 19 I 'have' is actually borrowed from a friend who has and prefers his 17. He just does not like compact. I am considering buying the 19 from him but have not had enough time to check it out enough on range due to work pressures. Enough means several 100+ round visits. I have taken it apart, cleaned, lubed and reassembled it. I was VERY impressed with the ease if this. Also, this process showed me this is a well maintained and/or low round gun. Was clean but needed lube, maybe due to time in storage? My thinking after that was 'fewer things to go wrong'. Do not have knowledge about jams (other than one time I rented one at range and shot 50 rounds jam-free and most recent comparison). If I do not buy this, at least friend will have a gun in better shape then when he loaned it. Everything is now as squeaky clean and well gently lubed as it can get. You cannot find a SPECK of grit or dust now.

The one range visit I had with this I rented a Gen4 and tried 50 rounds with Gen4 and 50 with borrowed Gen3. All rounds were cheapest ball ammo. Neither G19 misfired or jammed. Preferred 3 as grips were more comfy for me.
Cleaned / lubed borrowed G19 after range session. May be OC, but I prefer to return borrowed stuff in equal or better shape then when borrowed.

FWIW,
Other than what I have rented at range, I NEVER fire a weapon (even factory new) until I have taken it down to bare parts, cleaned, lubed, reassembled, and understand how the parts work together. Ruger gets a micro-inspection once a week if fired. I wear a jeweler's loupe. Want no surprises when use firearm.

Am considering lighter spring on Ruger, and polish all parts in the trigger assembly with Mother's.

Field Tester
August 19, 2013, 04:52 AM
Yeah, I'm calling BS on all of this. 4 days previously after joining you state you just acquired your first firearm (your Ruger). In the same thread you admit you're a "newb" and need much more training. In the next thread you claim to use the Glock as a back up piece. Well that escalated quickly.

After professing to be a "newb" as you put it, you proceed to hand out advice like it's free candy. This in my mind is not only foolish, it's dangerous. In my mind a few days or few months for that matter does not mortally or ethically enable you to hand out advice to new fellow shooters. I'd also be careful "borrowing" that friends firearm and carrying it for any length of time (depending on which state you live in).

If you want to learn and ask questions, that's fine. Please don't go spreading your potentially dangerous advice and experience around.

My take, obvious troll is a troll.

ku4hx
August 19, 2013, 06:39 AM
Other than what I have rented at range, I NEVER fire a weapon (even factory new) until I have taken it down to bare parts, cleaned, lubed, reassembled, and understand how the parts work together. Ruger gets a micro-inspection once a week if fired. I wear a jeweler's loupe. Want no surprises when use firearm.
If this is true, either you own very few guns or else you spend an awful lot of time sitting alone at the kitchen table doing this.

cocojo
August 19, 2013, 07:08 AM
I own two Glock 19's a gen 3 and a gen 4, both are totally reliable. This is one of the best handguns you will ever buy. I have owned numerous handguns through my life and this is the best of the best.

jim goose
August 19, 2013, 09:50 AM
I recently sold off my revolvers and 1911, but kept my gen 3 g19. It is everything people say it is. But, it does;t "feel right" in everyones hand. I'm one of those people, and find myself looking for it's replacement. Make sure you shoot it first, and try out some other guns. I like the Steyr's, just need to shoot one now.

MagnunJoe
August 19, 2013, 11:11 AM
+4 if it's a generation 3 Glock made before 2010. I have 1 and its the most reliable gun I own. Having said that, I have shot and have seen shot 2 gens 4s and both of them had weak extractions with brass in the face.

bdickens
August 19, 2013, 02:20 PM

By mixing snap caps in with the ammo in your magazines.

Spats McGee
August 19, 2013, 03:05 PM
Let me start out by saying that I've never wanted to like Glocks, and I still don't want to like them. With that said, I have gotten to spend a little time with a couple of G19s. One (a Gen2 or 3?) was a loaner while my other carry gun was getting some upgrades, and the other was one that I got to take the range a couple of times. Despite my desire to dislike them, I soon learned why it's such a popular model.

1) Take-down. It's easy. I'm what you might call "mechanically reclined," in that I don't really get along with fixing machines. I can field strip most basic firearms for cleaning, etc., but I'm not one to totally disassemble them. I know my limitations. With a G19, it's like "Field Stripping for Dummies." It comes apart into just a few modular parts, and goes back together very easily.

2) Lightweight. I like full-sized steel pistols. With a proper belt and holster, I don't find them difficult to CC. I cannot deny, however, that even a fully-loaded G19 is easy to carry. I carried the loaner for a few weeks, and could easily see carrying it all day, every day, with minimal fatigue.

3) Reliable. Let me also say up front that my sample size is statistically insignificant. I put about 150 rounds through a NIB Gen 4 G19. I got it, cleaned and lubed it (which was really easy, see #1, above), and headed to the range. Out of ~150 rounds, I had only one failure, and it was clearly ammo related. Specifically, I had some cheapo plinking ammo, and the bullet separated from the case on attempting to feed the second cartridge. Naturally, it didn't feed properly, and dumped all the powder into the gun and magazine. Cleared that bullet, blew into the gun to knock powder out, and moved on. Not a single other failure.

4) Accurate -- I'm not a fantastic shot. I'm competent, but I won't be winning the National Bullseye Championship any time soon. I was fortunate enough to have an honest-to-goodness firearms trainer standing by, giving me pointers (which I very gratefully accepted and followed). With all of those disclaimers, I have to say that the G19 put holes where I wanted them. It's probably more accurate than I am.

There are plenty of other excellent guns out there, but as little as I want to like Glocks, I have to admit that the G19 looks like a very good combination of weight, capacity, caliber, reliability and accuracy.

Mikhail Weiss
August 19, 2013, 04:27 PM
Opinions on the Glock 19?

Excellent pistol. I've owned, shot, and carried a second-generation G19 for years and, after some tens of thousands of rounds, can count every malfunction on one hand, using all of three fingers.

Broken extractor caused a failure to extract and therefore a double feed. Had one failure to eject (not related to the broken extractor), which was rectified by a tap-rack-bang. Broke a trigger spring once, but the pistol continued to work despite the break as long as I let the slide cycle before resetting the trigger.

The pistol and its various parts appears to be extremely durable, those breakages occurring sometime after twenty-thousand rounds, though I've sometimes wondered if the broken extractor had anything to do with the steel cases run through the gun.

351 WINCHESTER
August 19, 2013, 04:40 PM
My experience with the 19 is less than stellar. It's a late gen 3 and right off the bat I had brass to my face and stovepipes. I sent it back to glock twice before they replaced the ejector with a 30274 and also the extractor. During that period they didn't admit any problems, but they did seem awfully busy. The pistol runs fine now, but I don't trust it like my 1911's. Maybe if I put enough rounds thru it w/o any problems I will feel better. BTW my nephew got a gen 3 30sf and right off the bat he had brass to his face and all over the place. Might just be a glock thing, but sure is annoying.

hentown
August 19, 2013, 05:11 PM
I had a pump shotgun as my HD gun for a long time, and until last year it was still my main HD gun, slotted ahead of my Glocks. You can't argue with the terminal performance/effectiveness of a 12 gauge vs 9mm pistol.

While that's true, regarding terminal performance, it's also largely irrelevant to this discussion. One could equally argue that a .50 bmg has a great deal more terminal performance than anything mentioned so far...so what??

How about training some of those novices on shooting pumps around obstacles and from a prone position? ;)

I have several semi-auto shotguns that have NEVER, not once, failed to fire when I pulled the trigger, and, if I were going to choose a shotty for home defense, it'd be my 20 ga mod 1100 special field with 21" barrel. However, having shot eleventy-zillion rounds through both Glocks and shotguns, my choice is still a G17 for home defense.

If I weren't picking the Glock, and decided I had to have "more effective" firepower, it'd be one of my M4s.

If the most reliable firearms were pump-actions, then ARs and Glocks would be pumps. Only third-world residents of places like California use pump ARs. :evil: ( I tried to properly spell California with a "K", but the censor software wouldn't let me!)

onthehunt
August 19, 2013, 10:03 PM
I have a Glock 19 and have never had a issue...

HOODLUM
August 19, 2013, 11:17 PM
Yes, you can 'make' a Glock jam. I can do it almost every time when I want to with my G17. However, it never does it when I'm not trying to. If you hold it loosely or weak arm it, it will jam for you. There is a YouTube video where the 2 guys are 'comparing' a Glock to an XD (I think) and if you pay attention to the shooters arms and hands, it's pretty damn obvious that he is either just bashing the Glock or he shouldn't be shooting at all. That being said, I love my G17, I'm not a large guy by any means but I do CC it all day sometimes and never have I been very bothered by it. My wife's G19 carries better. Both are 3rd gen.

Warp
August 19, 2013, 11:19 PM
Yes, you can 'make' a Glock jam. I can do it almost every time when I want to with my G17. However, it never does it when I'm not trying to. If you hold it loosely or weak arm it, it will jam for you. There is a YouTube video where the 2 guys are 'comparing' a Glock to an XD (I think) and if you pay attention to the shooters arms and hands, it's pretty damn obvious that he is either just bashing the Glock or he shouldn't be shooting at all. That being said, I love my G17, I'm not a large guy by any means but I do CC it all day sometimes and never have I been very bothered by it. My wife's G19 carries better. Both are 3rd gen.

I have held my smallest Glock (26) as loosely as I dared (didn't want to drop it or shoot myself) with only one finger around the grip using WWB 115gr FMJ and couldn't get it to malfunction.

tomrkba
August 19, 2013, 11:23 PM

It's the best balance between size, weight, features, parts and capacity available. I have tens of thousands of rounds through my various G19's. Make no mistake--they do jam occasionally. It's not something I worry about since I train on clearance drills.

RE: Appearance

Ugly? Nah, they're actually quite clean compared to many other models. They're certainly easy on the hands for all day shooting sessions.

Hi-Points are ugly, as are most HK's, CZ 75's and 52's, any Taurus semi-auto or revolver (check out a PT-22 with yellow frame), Heritage 22 caliber single action revolvers, all Kel-Tecs, plastic Kimbers, and that abortion of a pistol from Wilson Combat. The Diamondback DB series is nasty. The Ruger P-Series are just about the ugliest guns I have ever seen. The Ruger Super Redhawk with anything longer than a 2 1/2" barrel is very homely. Come to think of it, their LCR (and copycat S&W Bodyguard) looks like something my dog shat onto the ground. The SR series is also exceptional in its homeliness. Chiapa revolvers hurt my eyes. The Beretta Neo just needs to be burned and stomped. Governors and Judges should be banned by The Gun Fashion Police. The new Doubletap guns are quite gross. Whoever designed that double 1911 needs to be tried, convicted and hung by the neck until dead. FN 57? Barf! The Bren 10 is positively disgusting.

The ugliest gun touted as a service grade pistol is the SIG P250! AWFUL and they should have KNOWN better!

And you won't shoot a Glock because it's "ugly"? It's fair, at worst.

Behold:

http://cdn1.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/bgprod/76369.jpg

Maybe you'd prefer this:

http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/MABP15/MAB15001/IMGP4739MABRM.jpg

Some people need a Colt:

http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/handguns/usa/2/1287742617.jpg

I guess I was wrong about the SIG P250. That Colt wins the fugly award!

CountGlockulla
August 19, 2013, 11:55 PM
It's the best defensive handgun on the planet.

Mine has 10-8 sights, deck tape and beavertail. Holster by Cane and Derby. I run the storm lake barrel for lead reloads. I also filed the trigger down some to help with "glock knuckle".

The beavertail will be going away. I used it because I was transitioning from 1911s at the time and tended to ride my hand up a little high at first. Not a problem anymore.

Here is a writeup from a training class I did and it has more Glock usage/stoppage info:

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2137-Inpax-Defensive-Handgun-2-Pittsburgh&highlight=Inpax

This one has 4000 rounds and only one malfunction that was due to an out of spec reload of mine. It doesn't miss a beat.

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv239/BlayGlock/A86AD368-BA82-49D4-BB89-3B9D2D1F3E40-7817-0000077670C633B1.jpg

With only 2000 rounds down

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv239/BlayGlock/d9601fde.jpg

When new:
http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv239/BlayGlock/9a37681e.jpg

bill3424
August 20, 2013, 12:12 AM
You can't go wrong with a G19. Been shooting them since they came out. It's a great gun to have in the collection.

X-Rap
August 20, 2013, 12:30 AM
You can buy the 26,19,17 for less than one of the popular custom SA pistols and have more dependable pistols shooting a wider variety of ammo.

EMT40SW
August 20, 2013, 12:44 AM
With the current ammo situation might I suggest a Glock 23 with a 9mm covertion barrel & a .357 sig barrel. If you join GSSF for $30 you can get a new Glock for $399 with 3 hicap magazines (this discount also applies to all First Responders). So for like $650 you have an awesome gun that can shoot 3 calibers & lead bullets. awesome! The only advantage of the gen 4 over gen 3 is that the gen 4 can be setup for lefties.

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=983&CAT=241

http://www.gssfonline.com/GSSF_Pistol_Purchase_Program_Information.pdf

http://www.gssfonline.com/

Warp
August 20, 2013, 07:49 AM
With the current ammo situation might I suggest a Glock 23 with a 9mm covertion barrel & a .357 sig barrel. If you join GSSF for $30 you can get a new Glock for $399 with 3 hicap magazines (this discount also applies to all First Responders). So for like $650 you have an awesome gun that can shoot 3 calibers & lead bullets. awesome! The only advantage of the gen 4 over gen 3 is that the gen 4 can be setup for lefties.

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=983&CAT=241

http://www.gssfonline.com/GSSF_Pistol_Purchase_Program_Information.pdf

http://www.gssfonline.com/

That's 3 standard capacity magazines. ;)

HOOfan_1
August 20, 2013, 09:28 AM
The ugliest gun touted as a service grade pistol is the SIG P250! AWFUL and they should have KNOWN better!

I don't know if it is touted as "service grade" but the Walther PPX is giving the P250 a run for its money in the ugly department

ku4hx
August 20, 2013, 11:13 AM
The only advantage of the gen 4 over gen 3 is that the gen 4 can be setup for lefties.
I don't know about that. My Gen4 19 came with three 15 round magazines and I think the "slimmer" grip is a bit of an advantage in the "SF" feel area. And I prefer the texture of the Gen4 grips. My wife considers the add-on back straps an advantage.

It all just depends on what you feel is an advantage.

RetiredUSNChief
August 20, 2013, 11:22 AM
It's the best balance between size, weight, features, parts and capacity available. I have tens of thousands of rounds through my various G19's. Make no mistake--they do jam occasionally. It's not something I worry about since I train on clearance drills.

RE: Appearance

Ugly? Nah, they're actually quite clean compared to many other models. They're certainly easy on the hands for all day shooting sessions.

Hi-Points are ugly, as are most HK's, CZ 75's and 52's, any Taurus semi-auto or revolver (check out a PT-22 with yellow frame), Heritage 22 caliber single action revolvers, all Kel-Tecs, plastic Kimbers, and that abortion of a pistol from Wilson Combat. The Diamondback DB series is nasty. The Ruger P-Series are just about the ugliest guns I have ever seen. The Ruger Super Redhawk with anything longer than a 2 1/2" barrel is very homely. Come to think of it, their LCR (and copycat S&W Bodyguard) looks like something my dog shat onto the ground. The SR series is also exceptional in its homeliness. Chiapa revolvers hurt my eyes. The Beretta Neo just needs to be burned and stomped. Governors and Judges should be banned by The Gun Fashion Police. The new Doubletap guns are quite gross. Whoever designed that double 1911 needs to be tried, convicted and hung by the neck until dead. FN 57? Barf! The Bren 10 is positively disgusting.

And you won't shoot a Glock because it's "ugly"? It's fair, at worst.

Speaking for myself, all I said about Glocks in this string is that I don't like them solely because of my admitted bias on their appearance.

However, I have said elsewhere that I won't own one...also because of my bias on their appearance. Not saying I won't ever shoot one, just that I won't own one.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and much like women (or men), everybody's got an opinion about what they do and don't like in appearances. That's a personal matter that I leave to the individual...because it only matters to him/her.

As for your pics...yes, I'd prefer the PA-15 over a Glock just based on appearances.

And I like the PT-22, though I would rather not have the yellow coloring (or any other weird coloring scheme).

The Tauris semi-autos are likewise esthetically pleasing to me.

As you've so elegantly pointed out, there is a great deal of variety in personal opinion on appearances...which is fine, because there is a great deal of variety out there to choose from.

:)

Tipro
August 20, 2013, 01:11 PM
I have a Glock 23 and love it. Same dimensions as Glock 19, so just as concealable, but a bit more kick from the .40 caliber ammo.

My suggestion: Go to your gun/outdoors store and look for 9mm ammo, both target and defensive. Then search for .40 s&w ammo, both target and defensive. My guess is that you will find almost no 9mm target, and no 9mm defensive whatsoever. I also predict you will find substantial amounts of .40 target, and adequate amounts of .40 defensive. This may weigh heavily in your consideration of a Glock 19 vs. 23.

MTMilitiaman
August 20, 2013, 04:21 PM
The Glock 19 is an excellent handgun. It has decent capacity and power, is big enough to shoot comfortably but small enough to conceal. Mags and accessories aren't difficult to find. The trigger is acceptable--right weight, consistent, short reset--and mine has been 100% reliable for what is rapidly approaching 2500 rounds. My only complaint about my Glock 19 is the same complaint I have with my Glock 20 and Glocks in general--they are a little more difficult for some people, including myself, to shoot well. They have a different grip angle than most handguns, so they point differently, and that takes some getting used to. If you can shoot it well though, the Glock 19 is an excellent representative of the breed that I can highly recommend.

BYJO4
August 20, 2013, 07:07 PM
The Glock 19 is a fine gun. For defensive purposes, it does just what it was designed for. It is reasonably priced and reliable.

greenlion
August 20, 2013, 10:15 PM
The GLOCK 19 is one of the best all round packages of size, capacity, accuracy, reliability, shootability, and balance ever made. I would go for the Gen3 as well. Unless you need a smaller grip, the Gen3 is just a better platform for the 9mm.

mljdeckard
August 21, 2013, 11:06 AM
Why on earth would I trust my life to a device that must be cleaned and examined microscopically before it can be trusted?

Fiv3r
August 21, 2013, 04:15 PM
I'm at a Glock crossroads. I have spent the last year getting into some budget 1911's. Man, I shoot those well. However, my reliability track record with the platform has been less than stellar. Maybe I need to buy one that costs $1000+, but that's not happening for a good long while. I can't get them to run well enough to give me the warm and fuzzies about carrying one.

I've owned three Glocks and I find them incredibly boring and unsexy. "Soulless" would be a good way to describe them. But damn, do they run and run and run and run. Never a hiccup. Never a feed issue. My 36, 26, and 21 have all been flawless. Flawless enough that I'm thinking about trading out of my 1911s and finding a 30 to take my 21 mags.

To be honest, short of my revolvers, I don't think I've had another brand of gun that didn't give me SOME ftf/fte/whater...except my Glocks.

I have never wanted to love Glocks, but they just give me too many reasons to NOT gravitate toward them. My 26 has been a constant companion in some very iffy areas, and I have felt very well armed.

ku4hx
August 21, 2013, 04:36 PM
To me, guns are tools; it's just that simple. I suppose I can find a case for this hammer being sexy or that screwdriver being elegant, but in the end they're just tools. They're a means to an end and not the end in itself. I like them, I respect them and I take care of them but in the end they are are just objects that bring me a certain pleasure using them.

el Godfather
August 21, 2013, 05:13 PM
I have Glock 19 since 1991-2. Zero jams. When it really matters its with me. When I am questioning on what I should carry in some sticky occasions it happens to be it- even though I do have many others. I think enough said.

breacher
August 21, 2013, 05:17 PM
"Speaking for myself, all I said about Glocks in this string is that I don't like them solely because of my admitted bias on their appearance.

However, I have said elsewhere that I won't own one...also because of my bias on their appearance. Not saying I won't ever shoot one, just that I won't own one."

Seriously??? :confused:

Pretty guns like Kimber 1911's are for showing your friends. Glocks are for showing your enemies.

I guess it all comes down to your reason for owning a particular gun.

RetiredUSNChief
August 21, 2013, 06:06 PM
"Speaking for myself, all I said about Glocks in this string is that I don't like them solely because of my admitted bias on their appearance.

However, I have said elsewhere that I won't own one...also because of my bias on their appearance. Not saying I won't ever shoot one, just that I won't own one."

Seriously??? :confused:

Pretty guns like Kimber 1911's are for showing your friends. Glocks are for showing your enemies.

I guess it all comes down to your reason for owning a particular gun.

Seriously!

I don't own a gun even remotely like a Kimber 1911. The closest I come, in fact, is a Colt 1991A1, factory original.

;)

I own several guns...currently counting 3 handguns in the lot. I bought each for a different reason...but appearances did play a role in each purchase.

Granted, appearances alone was not the deciding factor. A gun can be the most beautiful object I've ever seen, but if it isn't comfortable in my hand then I won't buy it.

Would I ever buy a Kimber 1911? Maybe, maybe not. They're certainly beautiful, in my opinion. But there are other factors that weigh in even with a Kimber...cost being one of them.

If Glock would ever make a gun that I'd consider esthetically pleasing, then I'd consider getting one. But so long as they look like an unattractive, blocky chunk I'll always look to something else more attractive to me which will meet my needs.

Seriously.

:p

batmann
August 22, 2013, 06:41 PM
My first choice in a Glock was the G22 (.40) over the 17. I have since bought a 26 with night sites off a friend and guess what? I bought a 9MM conversion barrel for my 22 and some 17 mags and now I have one pistol and two calibers.
Bottom line, get the Glock, you won't be sorry.
The 19 is a fine pistol, but a full size, as mentioned earlier, will be easier to shot with the full size grip.

Paul7
August 23, 2013, 12:00 PM
I had a Glock 19, it wasn't reliable. Much prefer my Beretta PX4 Storm, reliable, soft-shooting and actually has a safety.

HOODLUM
August 26, 2013, 11:04 PM
How was it not reliable?

VoodooSan
August 27, 2013, 12:50 AM
I had a G19 and had to sell it a long while back. I found it to be one of the best CCW guns but the finger grooves always bugged me just a little. Not enough to modify it or not want it. Never had an issue with it.

I have a gen 3 G30SF and I will never get rid of it. Currently my only Glock but I can easily see adding a G19 to my line up again.

bdickens
August 27, 2013, 11:10 AM
I had a Glock 19, it wasn't reliable. Much prefer my Beretta PX4 Storm, reliable, soft-shooting and actually has a safety.
Yours must have been the only one.

And the Glock design has three safeties.

Warp
August 27, 2013, 12:23 PM

Glocks have 3 safeties.

labhound
August 27, 2013, 01:45 PM
Beretta PX4 Storm, reliable, soft-shooting and actually has a safety

I think Paul7 was referring to a thumb safety.

scaatylobo
August 27, 2013, 01:55 PM
I own one as well as 5 others and they are there due to being tested and proven to be working [ as well as ANY gun will ] if needed.

I also am a FIRM believer in a BUG as ANY mechanical tool can fail.

If that 'tool' is a firearm,and it "fails" during a REAL moment [ not on the range ] then you need to have a plan.

My plan is refered to as a NY reload = TAKE OUT YOUR BUG !!.

X-Rap
August 27, 2013, 02:00 PM
I'm a big Glock fan but never consider any of mine on "safe". To some that is a plus others a minus.
I believe they are drop safe and and they will go off when you pull the trigger and to me that's what is important.
After owning and using pretty much every style and type popular handgun it is the one I like best. That is subject to change but I feel that as I evolve in my shooting and carrying I am making choices more on a personal basis than that of the herd.

Teachu2
August 28, 2013, 12:25 AM
You might also consider a G23. Add a $100 aftermarket conversion barrel, and it will shoot 9mm. Add another and it'll handle .357 Sig. Same size as a G19.

Double Vision
August 28, 2013, 12:36 PM
I was never a Glock fan - I didn't like the style at all.
Last night I shot a G19 for the first time during a training class, and shot pretty darn well with it. I will consider it for a future purchase.

HKGuns
August 28, 2013, 12:46 PM
Sure I have an opinion. Look harder as there are better options available in today's market. What works for others doesn't necessarily work for you......Go to the range and try some out and buy what works for you. If you are new to shooting a gLoCk would be the last pistol I would recommend.

javjacob
August 28, 2013, 01:25 PM
You can.

However, I will wager that I could take new/novice shooters (male or female) and give each about an hour of instruction on a pump gun and the Glock...and with defensive ammo in each, in a timed/stress induced course of fire, the pump would be more likely to malfunction and/or suffer more malfunctions per X number of rounds fired. I think it would take a long time training, more than the vast majority of people will ever do, to even reach the break-even point.

But that is just me and my experience.

quote)

I have a Mossberg 500 12 gauge and I have never short stroked it, I have never had any problems whatsoever feeding, firing or ejecting ever. Like they say you just have to pump it with authority. I guess you could short stroke it if you work it like a sissy though. You shoot someone one time with a 12 gauge loaded with 00buck and its game over. follow up shots with 00buck shouldn't be necessary unless you miss or have multiple attackers. follow up shots aren't hard for any half way experienced shooter. get the 12 gauge out and go shoot some clays.

RetiredUSNChief
August 28, 2013, 05:13 PM
We took our kids outshooting this summer for the first time. My 13 year old daughter called dibs on my 870 as the first gun she wanted to shoot...and she handled it like a champ.

She didn't have any problems racking a round into the chamber the first time, beyond what I'd expect for a first time youngster of her size. And she demonstrated no problems at all on any of her subsequent rackings.

I would have to say that if a 13 year old girl can demonstrate the ability to properly rack an 870, then an adult should have no problems at all.

That said, there are no "foolproof" weapons out there. There are only differences which can be gauged against each other on a relative scale. Yes, there are some which are inherently easier to use than others for a variety of reasons. But even to, you can't really take the "fool" out of the person no matter how "foolproof" something is.

Training and experience makes a difference...and ANY person who chooses ANY weapon for self-defense has no business not training on that weapons until they're proficient enough to operate it reliably. If you want to use a pump shotgun, then (as a bare minimum) get out on the range and shoot it until it's proper operation is second nature.

RBid
August 28, 2013, 10:19 PM
My suggestion: Go to your gun/outdoors store and look for 9mm ammo, both target and defensive. Then search for .40 s&w ammo, both target and defensive. My guess is that you will find almost no 9mm target, and no 9mm defensive whatsoever. I also predict you will find substantial amounts of .40 target, and adequate amounts of .40 defensive. This may weigh heavily in your consideration of a Glock 19 vs. 23.

My first (owned) Glock was a 23, purchased in January because of the ammunition situation. After a little shuffling, I currently have a 19 and 23, each Gen 4. I love them both.

mtrmn
August 28, 2013, 11:39 PM
To the folks that say they don't like the Glock due to lack of a manual safety: The Glock has the same safety as the gold standard S&W double action revolver-if you don't want it to go off, don't pull the trigger.

Paladin7
August 29, 2013, 04:30 PM
I went through the same mind wrenching fun a few years ago regarding selecting a defensive pistol for home and about and ended up with the G19...

Reasons for this choice...
1. Proven Reliability - the Glock 19 has proven itself over years of serious use to be a very reliable semi-auto, if cleaned and maintained properly

2. Reactive design - 3 internal safeties, no external safeties (not counting the trigger safety here). Just point and shoot which is perfect in a fight or flight scenario

3. Firepower - amount of ammunition in the gun and on my person - ability to go to a 32 round mag is a very nice option

4. Simplicity of design - I like simple - fewer parts = fewer points of failure

5. Availability of parts (and they are cheap which is always a plus) - Glocks have been around for a long time and there are plenty of parts out there and they are easy to get, esp. in a SHTF scenario

I think you would be hard pressed to find a better option, given these considerations...

powder
August 31, 2013, 01:40 PM
GTG, prefer 124 gr ammo..

CountGlockulla
August 31, 2013, 06:13 PM
I went through the same mind wrenching fun a few years ago regarding selecting a defensive pistol for home and about and ended up with the G19...

Reasons for this choice...
1. Proven Reliability - the Glock 19 has proven itself over years of serious use to be a very reliable semi-auto, if cleaned and maintained properly

2. Reactive design - 3 internal safeties, no external safeties (not counting the trigger safety here). Just point and shoot which is perfect in a fight or flight scenario

3. Firepower - amount of ammunition in the gun and on my person - ability to go to a 32 round mag is a very nice option

4. Simplicity of design - I like simple - fewer parts = fewer points of failure

5. Availability of parts (and they are cheap which is always a plus) - Glocks have been around for a long time and there are plenty of parts out there and they are easy to get, esp. in a SHTF scenario

I think you would be hard pressed to find a better option, given these considerations...

That should be a sticky

buckhorn_cortez
August 31, 2013, 08:33 PM
I have a Mossberg 500 12 gauge and I have never short stroked it, I have never had any problems whatsoever feeding, firing or ejecting ever.

I bought a pump shotgun in 1964 and used it for years for bird hunting and trap. I put thousands of rounds through it. On occasion, I short stroked it trying to get off a quick second shot.

I now have an FN SLP for HD - I never short stroke it. For trap, I use a Beretta O/U - I never short stroke that one either. I guess you just have to recognize your limitations...and then get equipment that works 100% for you personally.

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock 19 opinions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!