My rant today in MD

PDA

Norton
March 22, 2004, 04:15 PM
So I was eating lunch with a colleague at school, whom I respect very much and we generally get along well.

She mentioned that she had been to a community breakfast that featured the eteemed:rolleyes: Senator Garagiola (he of the MD AWB) and couldn't understand why he revoked his support for his own bill.

I said something to the effect of, because he got his butt kicked when the truth came out that his facts were misleading and he was taking his marching orders from the professional lobbyists in Ceasefire MD and the Brady Campaign (oh, BTW did you know that Leah Barrett isn't even her real name?) and that he didn't have the support for the bill and to have it voted on and not passed was much worse for him than to simply withdraw it unvoted.

Then I took a breath.....and said....I can't understand why these communist attorney/policiticans from Montgomery County can't understand that it's criminals breaking the law with guns, not law abiding gun owners....

I don't think that's the reaction she was looking for.:evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "My rant today in MD" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Spot77
March 22, 2004, 04:22 PM
So.......I assume your resume' is current?:evil:

You know you're a thorn in the sheeples' sides there in P.G. county. They'll banish you to Allegany or Washington County if you keep talking like that.

So what else did she have to say? Was there any further discussion?

Maybe she'd like to try out some of our evil baby killing weapons of mass destruction?:evil: :neener:

Norton
March 22, 2004, 04:38 PM
I thought about showing her the new red dot that I bought for the Hi-Point:D

Maybe they could banish me back to Virginia...the true "Free State" that Maryland is not.

P95Carry
March 22, 2004, 05:07 PM
Have at it buddy!!:)

Go get em and tell it like it is.

Red dot eh ...... now I KNOW you will enjoy that .. like, a lot!!!:p

Norton
March 22, 2004, 06:23 PM
I bought the el cheapo BSA red dot from Wally World.....I'll see how it works. If it stinks, I'll sell it to someone for $20.00 and get myself a more expensive one.

Hard to justify too much money on a site for a $100.00 gun....

Harry Tuttle
March 22, 2004, 07:05 PM
KTE:

Jonathan May Not Quite Understand, But Dad Is a Senator

By Andrea Denham
Suburban Newsline staff
April 6, 2003

When Robert John Garagiola, 30, of Germantown tried to explain to his son, Jonathan, 4, how the election process worked, he used an analogy of Jonathan and his friends trying to pick a video to watch._

“Two people want to watch this video, and one person wants to watch that video,” Garagiola told his son. “Well, the two people get to go first because they are the ones that won.”________ _

Although his son still didn’t quite get it, he could still appreciate that in January his dad was officially recognized as Sen. Garagiola of District 15. _

On Election Day, 51 percent of Montgomery County voters chose Democrat Garagiola over two-term Republican incumbent Sen. Jean Roesser, 72, to represent them for the next four years. _

“Rob is very energetic and determined,” said his wife, Cindy Garagiola, 31. “He sees what he wants and goes and gets it.”_

Garagiola was born in Detroit. His father was in the retail business, and the family lived in Indiana, Missouri, California and New Jersey. He moved to Maryland nine years ago and has been in this state the longest._

“We moved around a lot so we had to really be close as a family,” he said. “We had to very easily meet new friends.”_

Garagiola graduated from Rutgers University in New Brunswick, N.J., in 1994 with a bachelor’s degree in political science. There he met his future wife._

“We lived in the same dorm and became friends while we were dating other people,” she said. “After breaking up with our respective others, we started dating.”_

After college Garagiola worked as a senior congressional aide. He served in the United States Army Reserves from 1995 to 2001 in a special operations airborne unit and as a military judge unit. He considered joining the Reserves after high school, but opted to wait until after college._

“I ended up not doing it in high school because I had longer hair, believe it or not, and I didn’t want to have it cut,” said Garagiola, whose hair is closely cropped now.__ _

While still in the Reserves, Garagiola attended George Washington University Law School at night. Garagiola practices health care and administrative law with Greenberg Traurig of Washington. _

Garagiola’s roles in the Germantown community paved the way for him to run for the state Senate. He was on the Germantown Alliance Board and was the vice president of the Gaithersburg-Germantown Chamber of Commerce Board. _

Willadene Flowers, 45, the chamber’s director of membership and events, said Garagiola_ worked hard and kept other board members well informed about Germantown issues._

“He has a lot of experience working with people, and he knows what is fair. He had a good heart and good morals,” Flowers said. _

Garagiola also played an integral role in forming the Germantown Democratic Club and won Montgomery County’s 2001 Democrat of the Year award. _

“I was very involved in organizing Germantown and up-county, which never had been organized before, and I was very involved in the 2000 election in doing that,” he said. “I was getting a new community energized and interested in the political process.”_

When Garagiola told his wife, a Montgomery County public school teacher who is on leave, that he wanted to run for office, she supported him._

“I said, ‘OK, what do we need to do? Lets do it and get it done,’” she said. _

“It was a fun experience meeting people, talking to people and connecting with people.” Garagiola said of the race. “I wasn’t one of those people who would knock on someone’s door and then sprint to the next one. There would be engaging conversations.”_

The Garagiolas have been married for six years and have three children, Jonathan,_ Alyssa, 3, and Erica, 1. _

As a senator, Garagiola wants to reduce the traffic gridlock that plagues Montgomery County, work on the overcrowding problem in area schools and balance the state budget. He said he plans to run for reelection at the end of his term._

“I’m confident in my abilities,” he said. “I’m going to not hesitate to use my role as senator to advocate for people in District 15 and make a difference in Maryland.”

greyhound
March 22, 2004, 07:17 PM
As a senator, Garagiola wants to reduce the traffic gridlock that plagues Montgomery County, work on the overcrowding problem in area schools and balance the state budget

Ya know, for someone with those stated goals, he sure is spending a LOOOOTTTT of time pushing this AWB.

Any chance the Don Quioxte routine could tick off Montgomery County voters? (I know its liberal there, but he did just narrowly defeat a Republican).

Cliff
March 22, 2004, 07:34 PM
Way to go Norton,thumbs up.

Standing Wolf
March 22, 2004, 07:54 PM
I don't think that's the reaction she was looking for.

Surprise!

Norton
March 22, 2004, 07:56 PM
Thanks Cliff....sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you in person at the hearing last week....maybe next time!

jrhead75
March 22, 2004, 08:23 PM
You know you're a thorn in the sheeples' sides there in P.G. county. They'll banish you to Allegany or Washington County if you keep talking like that. Well, as an alumnus of Gaithersburg H.S., it's my considered opinion the getting banished from either Montgomery OR P.G's County is a favorable outcome...and I moved there from New Jersey!

Jim March
March 22, 2004, 08:47 PM
There's a MAJOR new talking point opened up in Maryland:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72649

Cliff
March 22, 2004, 09:08 PM
Thanks Cliff....sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you in person at the hearing last week....maybe next time!

Either we'll meet at another hearing,or at a celebration for what we did. OK?:D

MikeK
March 22, 2004, 09:30 PM
Cliff et al - If we make it through this session with no bad legislation a celebration is indeed in order.

If you enjoyed reading about "My rant today in MD" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!