How to remove a bad paint job from a Rem 700PSS

PDA

coolluke01
August 19, 2013, 12:07 AM
I just bought a 700PSS today. I got a very good deal on it. It was police issued and had been painted camouflage. I would like to return it to original condition. I don't really like painted guns, but if that's my only option I'll do it.

I understand that this barrel is parkerized and not blued. Will I damage the parkerizing with solvents or paint strippers?

I would also like to return the fiberglass stock to the original black. I'm prepared to use a lot of elbow grease if need be. But any shortcut would be appreciated.

I'm also looking to learn a bit about bedding scope mounts.

If you enjoyed reading about "How to remove a bad paint job from a Rem 700PSS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
August 19, 2013, 12:21 AM
No commercially available paint solvent will damage Parkerizing.
Some paint strippers might, depending on the chemistry involved.
The stronger & more alkaline, the more likely.

Probably the same with the stock.

Start out with some of the milder Goof-Off or citrus water based strippers first and see what happens.

I have never heard of 'bedding' scope mounts?

Other then de-greasing them, squirting some BLUE Lock-Tight #242 under them, and cinching the mount screws down tight.

rc

limpingbear
August 19, 2013, 01:57 AM
If it is just normal spraypaint, you can use polyurathane paint thinner and it will wipe it off the stock. It wont harm the fiberglass either. I am not sure what it would do to parkerizing though. Just make sure you are in a well ventilated area or outside and I recomend a respirator if using poly thinner.

Kp321
August 19, 2013, 08:46 AM
I would use caution with strippers on the stock. Some of the more aggressive strippers will damage it. Might be better to repaint with a good quality spray paint or Duracoat.

deepskyridge
August 19, 2013, 09:35 AM
You should be good to go with a paint stripper. Try it and see.

Here's a video on bedding a scope base on a Remington:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoW5bHQqgis

Gary

coolluke01
August 19, 2013, 01:49 PM
Thanks guys.

I just called Rem and they told me it was actually a 700P made in 2009.

They didn't think most paint removers would harm the Parkerizing. They said easy off oven cleaner might do the trick.

That's a good video on bedding. I had never heard of it before, but it makes sense.

Jim Watson
August 19, 2013, 02:25 PM
I doubt any organic chemical would hurt Parkerizing, certainly not commercial paint remover.
If the paint finish is a heat cured coating, it won't do much to that, either.
Be careful what you put Easy Off on. It is a strong alkali and will attack aluminum although it won't hurt steel.

I would be careful what I put on the stock. Do a spot test in an out of the way location. If it attacks the fiberglass, Kp321 makes sense, just repaint it to suit.

dprice3844444
August 19, 2013, 02:53 PM
when your finished stripping the action,give it a good cleaning with laquer thinner or acetone,then apply a good coat of oil to let it soak in.or losok custom arms can melonite inside the barrel and out side.it will last forever.if you do that,do a good barrel scrub to take out all the copper and fouling first

If you enjoyed reading about "How to remove a bad paint job from a Rem 700PSS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!