Tell me about this older Amsec safe

PDA

SuedePflow
August 20, 2013, 12:23 PM
Hello all,

First post. I registered last night after a Google search turned up some very informative threads here.

I'm in the market for a gun safe. Nothing too large or fancy. I move often, so something under 700 lbs is ideal. And 'used' is fine to because I'm bound to scratch it on occasion anyway, and my wallet likes smaller asking prices.

I found a local guy here in town yesterday that is selling an American Security (Amsec) 6030. I did a quick search and found mostly positive things about this model in general. But his is an older model. Manufacturered in 1995 in Fontana, CA. I figured it was safe to assume that they were built a bit differently back then as opposed to now, but I don't know how to find out any details on it.

It fits the bill in terms of size and weight. So I ask you folks; Is this a decent safe in terms of quality. Were the older ones built better/stronger than the newer versions? I assume it's worth his asking price of $500? Any info/advice on it would be greatly appreciated.

Crappy images, but this is it:

If you enjoyed reading about "Tell me about this older Amsec safe" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Outlaw Man
August 20, 2013, 05:24 PM
Amsec makes good stuff. There are a couple guys here that know their product lines (current and historic) far better than me, so I'll let them answer specifically.

a1abdj
August 20, 2013, 05:25 PM
The 6030 is the portion of the model number (based on dimensions), but not the full model. It is a decent safe, but really comparable to the current models they sell.

It's worth the asking price.

CB900F
August 20, 2013, 07:22 PM
I agree with A1abdj, it's worth the asking price, particularly if it's a BF6030. Does it have a .5" solid plate door?

900F

SuedePflow
August 21, 2013, 09:12 AM
I'm going to look at it this afternoon. Anything specific I should look for or ask?

heeler
August 21, 2013, 09:38 AM
I dont think they made a BF model gun safe in 1995 so I highly doubt it's an old BF model.
Most likely somewhere on the door frame there will be a model name.
On my Amsec it's on the top portion of the door frame.
Strangely enough Amsec got mine wrong as mine is the BF 6636 but the sticker says 6030.

Outlaw Man
August 21, 2013, 01:26 PM
Ha! Now you've got me curious to check the model number on mine.

heeler
August 21, 2013, 02:55 PM
Sudepflow...If you cant find the model then call Amsec's customer service and give them the serial number and they will let you know what model you have.

SuedePflow
August 21, 2013, 07:47 PM
Well, the exterior is in rougher shape than the images suggested. Apparantly, he tried to move it himself about 10 years ago. It looks like it fell on it's side and was drug to some extent. I'd want to repaint it if I bought it. But the interior is tip-top. The seal on the door is sub-par. It's just a thin piece of rubber. Definitely wouldn't fair well in a fire it seems. The door is 7-gauge steel, but I don't know about the rest of it.

I did get him down to $450 on it though.

Here's a shot of the label on the side.

CB900F
August 21, 2013, 08:07 PM
Suede;

Without the half-inch plate door, it's not a BF series & not the outstanding bargain it would be with it. As Heeler said, you can call AMSEC with the S/N & they should be able to give you the info on it.

900F

SuedePflow
August 21, 2013, 08:58 PM
Thanks. I'll call Amsec tomorrow.

SuedePflow
August 22, 2013, 03:13 PM
Anyone got a phone number for Amsec?

heeler
August 22, 2013, 04:04 PM
1-951-685-9680
If you google American Security customer service phone number there will also be an online link that you can ask the question.

SuedePflow
August 23, 2013, 05:55 PM
Thank you, heeler.

I called them today and gave the serial number and found out quite a bit of good info. It's comparable to the current SF6030. 1/4" thick outter plate on the door and 1/8" (11 gauge) outter steel on the body. And it does have the concrete-like fire fill stuff that they still use. Weighs 675 lbs.

I'll be going tomorrow to pick it up. And I'll be working on a restoration next week. :-)

heeler
August 24, 2013, 12:44 PM
What a great deal.
You could have done much worse for twice the price you are getting that for.
Congratulations.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tell me about this older Amsec safe" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!