Western Gunbelt questions.

PDA

GhostyDan
August 20, 2013, 10:31 PM
I'm looking for a good gunbelt for riding horses and hiking. I don't think I can spend more than $275. What do people think of Cochise Leather Company?
I want a Half-Breed holster and they have a good looking one. If you have any comments or suggestions please help me out.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Western Gunbelt questions." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
August 20, 2013, 11:13 PM
Get a good high-ride like a Tom Threepersons and put it on a stiff pants gun belt.

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-65-9-1920-tom-threepersons-2-to-7-12-barrels.aspx

It will be more comfortable to carry all day, out of the way of the horse gear, and very fast if you need the gun in a hurry.

And it won't flop around and beat you black & blue while hiking.

rc

WALKERs210
August 20, 2013, 11:42 PM
I have one from BIG BAD GUNS for my 1847 Walker. Think I like the rig more than the gun

Dr.Rob
August 21, 2013, 12:27 AM
That "Jesse James" as a cross draw would be fantastic. Good looking leather, and great pricing for lined holsters.

CraigC
August 21, 2013, 01:46 PM
Cochise looks like good stuff.

It's hard to beat a good Threepersons:

http://photos.imageevent.com/newfrontier45/leatherwork/large/IMG_1708b.jpg

tomrkba
August 21, 2013, 02:12 PM
I really don't like those, especially if the retention strap is not deactivated with the thumb.

Does anyone make a Western style holster with a thumb break?

CraigC
August 21, 2013, 03:08 PM
For outdoor or recreational use, a retention strap or thong is really unnecessary 99% of the time. That is, if the holster is properly fitted to the handgun carried in it. A properly fitted holster should not allow the handgun to fall out, even if inverted. I prefer thongs but rarely use them. They're easily ignored when not in use. I don't care for retention straps at all but offer them for those who prefer them. They are not easily ignored when not in use, unless it swivels like on certain Freedom Arms holsters.

If it has a thumbreak, then it's not really a "western" holster.

AethelstanAegen
August 21, 2013, 03:40 PM
For outdoor or recreational use, a retention strap or thong is really unnecessary 99% of the time. That is, if the holster is properly fitted to the handgun carried in it. A properly fitted holster should not allow the handgun to fall out, even if inverted.

This is very true. I have a "Slim Jim" style holster for my Type II Conversion. It has a thong, but I never use it. The gun draws easily but will not come out, even if I hang upside down with it.

GhostyDan
August 21, 2013, 05:53 PM
Thanks for all the replies.
remodel I have thought about a Tom Threepersons ,but I have a holster somewhat like that for a 1911 and it always pulls my belt down. So dose anyone else have any comments on how comfortable gunbelts are?

X-Rap
August 21, 2013, 06:26 PM
For horseback sitting in a truck or on an ATV the Bianchi Cyclone is second to none for comfort and retention which is important while riding. There is never any doubt that the gun is still with you. I does have a thumb break so if you are a purist it may not fit the bill but I wouldn't carry one on a horse without a strap or thong and the thumb break is faster than the other options. Couple that with a good cartridge belt and a knife and your good to go. You will have money left for ammo with your budget.

kbbailey
August 21, 2013, 11:33 PM
if the holster is properly fitted to the handgun carried in it. A properly fitted holster should not allow the handgun to fall out, even if inverted.

I didn't believe this until I got my first quality hand-made holster......

Thanks CraigC

CraigC
August 22, 2013, 12:57 AM
How's it holding up?

kbbailey
August 22, 2013, 11:11 PM
It looks like new except for all the drool stains from fellow shooters.

CraigC
August 23, 2013, 01:14 AM
Damn, I forgot to drool-proof it! :p

GhostyDan
August 23, 2013, 04:15 PM
So dose anyone know anything about Cochise Leather?

Red Cent
August 26, 2013, 07:49 PM
Who made that holster in the picture CraigC?

CraigC
August 27, 2013, 02:48 AM
I did! :D

BSA1
August 27, 2013, 09:05 PM
Are you wanting a gun belt that fits the belt loops on your pants or a separate one that buckles over your pants?

kbbailey
August 27, 2013, 11:07 PM
The only gun I ever lost.....(and later found), was lost from a nylon Bianchi Cyclone.
( No jab, just fact)

GhostyDan
August 28, 2013, 06:25 PM
One that would buckle over my pants.

Deer_Freak
August 28, 2013, 09:00 PM
Get a good high-ride like a Tom Threepersons and put it on a stiff pants gun belt.

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-65-9-1920-tom-threepersons-2-to-7-12-barrels.aspx

It will be more comfortable to carry all day, out of the way of the horse gear, and very fast if you need the gun in a hurry.

And it won't flop around and beat you black & blue while hiking.

rc
He is riding a horse! You want a belt to sit lower when you are on horseback or a 4 wheeler for that matter. It's going to be a long day if your gun is getting jammed by the saddle or the seat of the 4 wheeler. If you have to get off the horse you can always pull up the belt.

I ride mules a lot. The club where I shoot sporting clays raises and sells hunting mules. Unlike a horse you have to dismount to make a mule jump anything. I never have any problems with my holster getting hung on fences when we are out riding the mules. We usually carry a couple pistols even when we are not hunting to kill predators and snakes.

I have a simple and cheap rig that has served me well. Just a plain 2" tool belt and a nylon holster. Leather holsters work well but most do not have cut outs for the rear sight. Every well made nylon holster I have owned has a cut out for the rear site. I have yet to experience any broken sight blades since switching to nylon holsters.

Jaymo
August 28, 2013, 09:53 PM
I have one of CraigC's Slim Jim holsters and my gun simply will not fall out of it, no matter how hard I try.
I don't even use the thong.

BSA1
August 29, 2013, 09:22 PM
I suggest you give a lot of thought about how wide and what material you want your gun belt to be.

I recently had a 3" wide canvas belt made. I either order or make sure before buying that the loop is wide enough to slide onto the belt.

RandyRay41
August 31, 2013, 12:00 AM
Recently got this holster. Very nice and well made leather. Holster, belt and dual spare cylinder holder for my remmie 58. Right at $100.

Www.southerncomfortmercantile.com

Tell em Randy Ray sent you!

RPRNY
August 31, 2013, 12:15 AM
AbstrAct - that's a good looking rig from the Remington to the strap holster. Excellent advice.

For riding and woods walking, I like a full flap. Keeps the wet and brush crud off the piece and keeps the piece in the holster. I myself like a full flap cross draw and my riding holster is an inexpensive unlined full flap from Oklahoma Leather. I wax the he'll out of it with beeswax and jojoba so that it's nice and soft. I do like a lined holster though. If you're out West and the wet isn't an issue, half strap and broad straps like Randy has will do you fine. Riding without a flap is a mistake to my mind.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

AethelstanAegen
September 14, 2013, 06:53 PM
This is my Cimarron Type II Conversion and the "Slim Jim" rig I got from El Paso Saddlery.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn100/AethelstanAegen/IMG_9248_zps412449f9.jpg

CraigC
September 14, 2013, 09:59 PM
Sweet rig!

AethelstanAegen
September 15, 2013, 02:29 AM
Sweet rig!

I consider that very high praise coming from you, CraigC. Your pictures have been making me jealous for a long time.

If you enjoyed reading about "Western Gunbelt questions." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!