1911s don't like me.

PDA

MagnunJoe
August 21, 2013, 01:49 PM
I've shooting for over 20 years, I have seen everything, done everything, shot just about everything, Including 3 different brand new well lubricated 1911s that don't like me after shooting factory loaded ammo.

9 years I had and sold a Springer GI because after 4 years and 600 rounds I still had 2 or 3 FTF, FTE for every 100 rounds fired. Shot Winchester WB, Federal and Fiocchi.

Last year I gave Ruger and Remington a chance. Got me 2 brand new guns SR1911 and a R1 and guess what? The Ruger had 2 stoppages in the first 100 rounds of Winchester WB and the Remy had 3, same ammo. Same FTF/FTE issues. If i remember correctly, 1 of each. Or maybe 2 FTF 1 FTE.
I even used Wlson Combat mags, no difference.
All guns are well maintenned, clean & lubricated. I ordered 2 new MetlForm mags, maybe that will help.
I don't have any issues with ny other guns.

If you enjoyed reading about "1911s don't like me." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Teachu2
August 21, 2013, 02:05 PM
Most 1911s require some break in time. WWB, UMC, and other "practice" ammo is usually low on the power scale, and those two things don't play together well.

If you must use cheap ammo, change out the recoil spring for a lighter one. As the gun breaks in, it will loosen up.

mjsdwash
August 21, 2013, 02:06 PM
ive never seen a new 1911 work either, springfield remington and ria all jammed as new. GI mags, and extractor fitting (filing not 'tensioning) fixed the springfield about 6000 rounds since the last malfunction, and fixed the remington, but that one is not shot much more than a few hundred rounds a year... the ria could not be fixed, was sold. But no its not just you. Ive seen many 1911's jam at the range "because of the ammo"... never seen a glock jam because of the ammo three times in one box. People are actually pretty surprised when we go out with my springfield and shoot 400 rounds without issue. I guess when you spend 1000 or more for a gun its pretty easy to make excuses for it.

Catpop
August 21, 2013, 02:14 PM
Reminds me of my dog, he wouldn't eat collards for the first 30 days. But he eventually came around- - -after losing about 10 pounds!
Like my dog, 1911s have diet preferences!
Haha

smalls
August 21, 2013, 03:02 PM
There's a very specific 1911 blueprint. When manufacturers deviate from said blue prints, and then mix in out of spec parts, or specs that again deviate from the original, you really can't expect them to work properly, can you? They're not lego's, although even some manufacturers treat them as such.

This is why I believe the 1911 to be an "afficianado's gun".

You have to be able to put up with this stuff and be willing to either fix it or have it fixed if it does happen. If you love the platform, and it just fits you so good, you will. If you refuse to do that, then another platform is what you're looking for.

Most 1911's have parts that are at least in spec enough to work together. The "break in period" done need are for those parts that are just a little out of spec, but seem to come together with some friction, IE shooting it and letting the part wear "into spec".

Also could be getting some of that packing grease and dirt out that you missed in your initial cleaning!

osteodoc08
August 21, 2013, 03:19 PM
Gee. My Kimber CDP Compact, Sig STX and Smith 1911TA have all been superb with nary a malfunction. I'm glad no one told them that 1911s are jammomatic garbage.

Teachu2
August 21, 2013, 03:56 PM
Gee. My Kimber CDP Compact, Sig STX and Smith 1911TA have all been superb with nary a malfunction. I'm glad no one told them that 1911s are jammomatic garbage.
Many of us have great affection for the 1911, but if I had to choose between a NIB 1911 (any make/model/mfg) and a NIB Glock 21 to bet my life on without any testing whatsoever.....well, the Glock is the winner.

I've owned, built, carried, and competed with 1911s since 1980. I've owned everything from recycled parts box specials to a Les Baer SRP, and worked on many more. The SRP is incredibly tight, extremely accurate, and fairly pricey. It's also functioned flawlessly for me. So has a stock Colt Series80 Govt Stainless. My Colt Series 70 that some idiot had ported would run fine for 100-150 rounds, then start jamming as it gunked up around the ports. That's why I bought it cheap. Fitted a new barrel without ports, and it shoots nearly as well as the SRP.

osteodoc08
August 21, 2013, 04:19 PM
If I had to have a bet my life reliable firearm, it'd be my Sig P226 or Ruger P89. I've never ever had an issue with either one through thousands of rounds each.

VetPsychWars
August 21, 2013, 04:27 PM
The only trouble I had with my Remington R1S went away when I tossed the original magazines and springs.

As mentioned above, too many manufacturers think they know better than what the blue prints say.

Tom

vmr357
August 21, 2013, 04:32 PM
I have only one 1911 and it's a 9mm. Cleaned and greased, it gave me some trouble on a cold day. Cleaned and oil, I've never had trouble with it since. Some magazines work better than others, but if everything is in spec the gun should run. There are plenty of good modern guns, but a 1911 should still run too.

Here's an interesting take on reliability excuses for 1911's.
http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=4101

Roadking Rider
August 21, 2013, 05:24 PM
You need to buy a RIA 1911. Those things are garbage mouth 1911's they shoot any damn thing. I've rapid shot mine where it was so hot I could barely hold onto it. That pistol didn't come to anywhere near close to jamming up. I had more damn copper jacked bullets going one way and brass going the other. JMB would have been proud.:D

OregonJohnny
August 21, 2013, 05:49 PM
Although the OP's experience with various 1911s malfunctioning regularly seems to be much worse than the average 1911 user's experience, I agree that a 1911 (of any make of model) would not be my first choice for an out-of-the-box reliability test if my life depended on it.

I own a S&W 1911 Stainless government model, and it has been a great gun. But not perfect. The first few boxes of ammo through it resulted in many failures to lock open on an empty mag. Then when I started reloading, many of my loads failed in the 1911, when they worked fine in other guns (Sig P220). After playing around with some very expensive Buffalo Bore 255-grain lead +P rounds, I had consistent feeding failures. I tried extra power mag and recoil springs, without much improvement. Even just a week ago, I let my friend try out the S&W 1911, and he had an unexplained FTF with standard Remington 230-gr. UMC.

So, although I'll never sell my S&W 1911 (since it was the first gun I ever bought myself), I also can't completely trust it for SD duty. For that I have Beretta, Sig Sauer, Ruger, Kahr, and Glock semi-autos, plus revolvers. The 1911 will never go away because of it's history and charisma, crisp trigger and slim ergos, but it can be a finicky platform, sometimes for no good or obvious reason, and probably belongs in the hands of more experienced shooters rather than casual shooters or newbies.

KYamateur
August 21, 2013, 06:42 PM
I am a firm beleiver that they should work out of the box. I have a Dan Wesson and Colt that run flawlessly. I have previously owned a Springfield Loaded and S&W E-series and they both ran flawlessly. I purchased a Les Baer and it had failures about every 25 rounds. I kept trying to "Break it in" for about 800 more rounds. I sent it back to Baer and they said nothing was wrong with it. After about 700 more unsuccessful break-in rounds it found a new home. I had similar experience with an earlier model Sig GSR. I know that is only one sample and many probably run great. However, with a 1911 being the most expensive style of pistol on the market, I beleive not running right from the beginning because you have to break it in is just garbage excuses. My philosopy now is if it don't run right trade it in, because there are many that do. You shouldn't have to spend $500 on ammo to make a gun run they way it is designed to.

BYJO4
August 21, 2013, 07:34 PM
I enjoy and shoot 1911s on a regular basis and have had virtually no issues. When I did have a problem, I went to my long time gunsmith who corrected the issue for a nominal fee. I also shoot alot of S&Ws and just started shooting a Glock. Several of my revolvers have needed minor adjustments too as they are shot frequently. Anything man made can require adjustment or replacement of a defective part.

show_me_2nd
August 22, 2013, 02:40 AM
Taurus PT1911-ss, about 2500 rds down, many types and makes of ammo. Rarely cleaned, no problems.

tarosean
August 22, 2013, 03:07 AM
Pretty sure that inanimate object are incapable of feelings..

1911's are made by a lot of manufactures, ranging in quality from cheap knockoffs to $10,000+ customs. I certainly would not lump them all together.

Olympus
August 22, 2013, 08:33 AM
Sounds like bad luck. I shoot 1911s almost exclusively and I rarely encounter problems. I had a stainless Taurus with over 6k rounds and it ran 100% all the time. I even shoot primarily SWC bullets in 45 and I still have no problems. Come over to my place and I'll put a 1911 in your hand that even you couldn't make malfunction.

Hanzo581
August 22, 2013, 09:12 AM
I would recommend watching James Yeagers youtube video "1911's Suck" :neener:

The Lone Haranguer
August 22, 2013, 11:35 AM
I'm 0 for 3 on 1911s. A Para-Ordnance P12, SIG Revolution Carry and Colt Combat Commander (this was a used gun made c. the early 1990s but looked like new), all jam-o-matics. The SIG was so bad that (to their credit) they replaced it with a whole new gun ... and then that one broke. This is too bad, because no other gun quite matches its speed into action (from cocked and locked) and accuracy, they fit my hand perfectly and are also very slender and flat. I tried to work with them, but my patience only goes so far. The P-O also committed the unforgivable sin of eating a hole in my hand.

PJSprog
August 22, 2013, 12:01 PM
Oh, boy ... a James Yeager reference.

I've been mostly a revolver guy over the 40 years I've been shooting, at least when it comes to handguns. I bought an RIA 1911 Tactical from a coworker a few years ago. It had barely been shot when he decided to "upgrade" to a Range Officer. I have yet to get that thing to fail, either with WWB 230gr ball or my own 185gr XTP handloads. As Roadking mentioned above, it just eats everything. Maybe I'm just lucky, but my first experience with a 1911 has been 180 out of phase with everything I've always heard about them. Sorry to read that you've had so much trouble, MagnunJoe.

Skylerbone
August 22, 2013, 12:21 PM
If it doesn't feed or extract or lock the slide back or fire correctly, believe it or not there is always a reason. If an owner takes the time to learn about the platform such mysteries that otherwise result in frustration or trade fodder simply become an adjustment, often one-time and a perfectly reliable firearm.

If I had to bet my life on any of my firearms, I would grab whatever was closest. I trust them all.

MarshallDodge
August 22, 2013, 12:28 PM
When you buy a $500 1911, your expectations should be low.

Hanzo581
August 22, 2013, 01:23 PM
If it doesn't feed or extract or lock the slide back or fire correctly, believe it or not there is always a reason. If an owner takes the time to learn about the platform such mysteries that otherwise result in frustration or trade fodder simply become an adjustment, often one-time and a perfectly reliable firearm.

If I had to bet my life on any of my firearms, I would grab whatever was closest. I trust them all.

I guess that's the thing. I don't want to "learn about the platform" I want the gun to go bang every time I pull the trigger. And to the person that didn't like the Yeager comment, well, assuming he isn't lying and has been a part of thousands of classes I have to appreciate the data he's compiled on which guns seem to fail more than others. Your 1911 may run perfectly, but many don't. I had a close friend with a very high end Kimber, beautiful gun, felt fantastic in my hand but gave him all kind of trouble (yes different mags and ammo was tried).

Call me crazy but if I spend that kind of money I want the gun to run flawlessly and shouldn't have to tweak anything to get it going.

tarosean
August 22, 2013, 01:55 PM
And to the person that didn't like the Yeager comment, well, assuming he isn't lying and has been a part of thousands of classes I have to appreciate the data he's compiled on which guns seem to fail more than others.

I prefer people whom document rather than give anecdotal opinions...

The following person runs them till he doesnt feel comfortable as a Carry weapon.

Springer 1911(current Test gun)
49,999 rounds - 14 stoppages - 4 parts breakages

Past test guns.
Glock 17 gen 4
71,260 rounds - 19 stoppages (+1 w/non-LCI extractor) - 3 parts breakages

HK P30
91,322 rounds - 13 stoppages - 5 parts breakages

Endurance tests can be found by searching the below site.

http://pistol-training.com/

Its interesting none the less.

Like I said previously too many players to issue a blanket statement about an entire type of gun sucking..

Buzznrose
August 22, 2013, 05:03 PM
I've been through 3 Gunsite pistol classes, 250 twice (second time was to accompany my daughter) and the 350 class. Each class of about 16-18 students is a week long and approx 1000 rounds.
In every class, I shoot my Glock 23 Gen 4 with factory remanufactured ammo.

My experience is that roughly half the students will bring 1911's, the other half run a mix of iron guns (HK, Sig, Beretta) and plactics (Glock, XD, M&P).

Without exception, the guns that have problems were 1911's. And these are typically quality guns like Les Baer, Wilson, Colt, et al. First time I attended Gunsite, my wife and I went, and as the ran two classes concurrently, we asked to be in seperate classes (married for 20 years, you learn what works!).

In my wife's class was Wiley Clapp and two gun execs, one from Colt, other from TALO. They were all shooting the new Wiley Clapp Colt Commander, TALO exclusive. They had serious fits with their guns and I heard the school Smithy spent several hours getting them to run right.

Not every 1911 had issues, but every gun that had issues was a 1911. Many 1911 shooters brought at least 1 spare gun for the class.

Some issues were magazine related, some were gun related.

At least one 1911 shooter from each class finished the class with a different gun than they started the class with.

I don't own a 1911, but I want one. After discussing with different Gunsite instructors, im looking hard at a Springfield. That seemed to be the flavor they saw the least problems with. Interestingly, another gun that was recommended was a Citadel, with the caveot that I replace all springs with a quality Brownells 1911 Spring Kit.

I don't know much about the 1911 other than it is a true American icon, and I love the way they shoot. But I am going in understanding they can be finicky...

chrt396
August 22, 2013, 05:19 PM
I am in love with 1911's!! They all work flawlessly with a rare exception.

Les Baer Premier - eats anything
Les Baer Premier II - eats everything
Ed Brown Special Forces - Eats everything
Wilson Combat CQB - eats everything
Springfield trophy match - jams on everything but 230g RN
Kimber Custom - eats everything
Kimber Custom Target - eats everything (now stolen)

The ONLY 1911 that has been tempermental is my Springfield TM. It is a Jam-O-Matic on so many levels! In fairness...I have not given it 100's of rounds because all my other 1911's perform without aggravation.

Oldman1151
August 22, 2013, 05:51 PM
I have purchased three brand new 1911's this year. A Colt Talo edition, Remington R1 Centenial Edition and Springfield Loaded Bi-tone. Have only used target ammo in them. I have not had any jams, misfeeds or misfires in any of them. Each one has functioned flawlessly. I must be lucky or I am doing some thing wrong. ???

Skylerbone
August 22, 2013, 07:24 PM
I'm definitely doing something wrong. None of mine have ever failed to feed, fire and extract. Even my SW 1911 that had serious fitment issues causing irregular and premature wear never once stumbled. Do I put thousands of rounds through my 1911s year after year? Well yes, yes I do. Do they need secretive voodoo or special care to make them work? No. A bit of CLP and ammo.

For those not inclined to learn a platform they intend to shoot, I say stay away from firearms, they're dangerous! Loading, charging, safeties, magazine releases, sights; these are things that deserve attention. These are things you should know. These are things that could, with any style firearm, save your life.

Almost, but not quite astounded that we still have weekly chats akin to "A carburetor can't work because it ain't fuel injected". My take anyway.

LeonCarr
August 22, 2013, 07:40 PM
I gave up 1911s in 2003, switched to Glocks and have never looked back. Thousands of hard earned dollars were spent towards the college funds of gunsmith's children to get them to run right, and they never did run right for me.

In 22 years of having to qualify with firearms at least once a year as a condition of employment, the guns that have kept me from getting long lunches or going home early during quals were all 1911s :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Aceoky
August 22, 2013, 09:05 PM
Another proud RIA 1911 owner - never any issues, don't care for Glocks YMMV

Skylerbone
August 22, 2013, 09:20 PM
My father just qualified for his 50 State carry (retired) with a bone stock Colt. Had it not been for the massive bandage on his thumb (protecting a dozen stitches) I'm certain he would have done better than the 85% he turned in as drills were timed and several required weak hand shooting/magazine drops/switches.

MagnunJoe
August 23, 2013, 12:13 AM
Sorry pal, Rugers and Remmys don't go For $500. U must be thinking RIAs. Or other Filipino brand.

tarosean
August 23, 2013, 12:50 AM
Les Baer Premier - eats anything
Les Baer Premier II - eats everything
Ed Brown Special Forces - Eats everything
Wilson Combat CQB - eats everything

change a few models and that is my experience

Les Baer Monolith Heavyweight
Ed Brown Special Forces
Wilson Professional
NightHawk Falcon
Colt LW Commander

Of those 5 guns I can count malfunctions on one hand... I cannot say the same for my 3 Glocks.

MagnunJoe
August 23, 2013, 09:54 AM
It's un-American to have to spend 2,3 or ever 4K for a 1911 that will work flawlessly. I only say this because the 1911 is a true American icon that should work well out of the box even if U "only" spend $700

Paul7
August 23, 2013, 10:55 AM
I have a Dan Wesson Valor that has never malfunctioned and recently bought a worn 1994 Series 80 Colt police turn-in that hasn't missed in 300 rounds so far, including JHP.

I had a Glock 21 that never did run right, even after going back to the factory. Same thing with a RIA 1911, the factory eventually gave up and sent me a new one, which I sold.

MagnunJoe
August 23, 2013, 12:18 PM
If I didn't have many other handguns that work great, I would say that I must be doing something wrong. I clean and lubricate my guns more than most people. I can strip field a 1911 in 10 seconds.

BillBloggins
August 23, 2013, 12:41 PM
My Para Expert, an inexpensive 1911, eats anything I throw in its' blowhole: factory hardball, 175 gr SWC lead, TC, any and all of my reloads. I followed their break-in advice to not touch anything until 500 rounds went through it. Not a single problem and I am very fond of this doodlebug as a result.
Man, after the 500 rounds of a massively varied break-in diet, it was like cleaning a chimney, I had to avert my gaze initially!

Skylerbone
August 23, 2013, 01:22 PM
Well...all sorts of "My 1911 has never failed" stories and an OP saying his Springfield failed a half dozen times with the 150 rounds/year he put through it. Didn't take advantage of the lifetime warranty, sold it. Bought a Ruger and Remington, both with warranties, similar problems, no service calls made. Hasn't bothered to describe the failures in detail that someone might enlighten him as to the problem.

Now I get lazy. I understand. I applaud it at times. What I cannot comprehend is posting a complaint and replying over and over with naysaying rather than asking about the root cause of the failures, wanting to learn why $650 pistols won't go bang or even making a phone call to get a shipping label so that the problem gets fixed. There is lazy and then there is inanimate. As my lawyer is fond of saying, "Don't ask for solutions to problems you don't want solved, it's a waste of everyone's time".

w129
August 23, 2013, 02:07 PM
I have a Dan Wesson Guardian ($1400 9mm commander). I bought and went to the range inside the same store. I had around 5 RTB's in the first 50 rounds, after that I have not had a single failure in 500-700 rounds.

I also had an RIA tactical in 9mm ($450). Again out of the box and to the range, not a single failure in over 500 rounds. I did sell it only because it is much heavier than my DW and decided I didn't want a range only gun and when I carry a 1911, it will be the DW.

If I were to take a multi day handgun class, I would run my DW and my Glock 23. The 23 would not be a back up to the DW, but more because I use both for CCW.

The only maintenance I have done for either the DW or RIA was to field strip, clean and lube after the initial 200 rounds.

MagnunJoe
August 23, 2013, 03:15 PM
Some guy calls me lazy 4 not sending the gun in... Shooting is my pastime, inluding trying to figure out why it's not working 100%. Besides I ordered new mags.
What he failed to realize is that It's actually easier to send the gun in than to write and read posts and trying to figure out what is going on. Changing springs and buffing feeding ramps is fun for me, calling CS is not.

tipoc
August 23, 2013, 05:45 PM
Now and again it is not the guns, it is the shooter. Some folks do not do well with 1911 platform guns.

tipoc

Mike J
August 23, 2013, 09:30 PM
I'm fairly new to the 1911. I just bought a SR 1911 in July. I've only got a couple hundred rounds through it so far but I haven't had a failure yet. If I had a problem with my SR 1911 I believe I would call Ruger & let them deal with it. If you want to try to figure out the problem & fix it yourself then you would probably need to be specific about what the problem is & let some of the more knowledgeable amongst us guide you towards a solution.

SwampWolf
August 24, 2013, 12:10 AM

The op was only reporting his experiences. They are what they are and your experiences don't have much to do with his.

Call me crazy but if I spend that kind of money I want the gun to run flawlessly and shouldn't have to tweak anything to get it going.

I don't think you're crazy. If you are, so am I.

I have not had any jams, misfeeds or misfires in any of them. Each one has functioned flawlessly. I must be lucky or I am doing some thing wrong. ???

Maybe it's time for you to buy a lottery ticket...:D

It's un-American to have to spend 2,3 or ever 4K for a 1911 that will work flawlessly. I only say this because the 1911 is a true American icon that should work well out of the box even if U "only" spend $700

Yep, I'm an American too. There's absolutely no reason why a $700.00 pistol shouldn't work perfectly right out of the box. Many other "platforms" do and there's no reason why a 1911 shouldn't. The ones I have did and do.

I don't know much about the 1911 other than it is a true American icon, and I love the way they shoot. But I am going in understanding they can be finicky...

Again, there's no good reason why prospective buyers of a 1911 pistol should have to expect that their new 1911 will be "finicky". Too many people give too many excuses as to why a given pistol doesn't function correctly from the get-go: bad ammunition, limp-wristing, bad magazines, wrong recoil springs, extractor needs attention, needs 500 or so rounds of break-in, etc. Now any of these reasons might be a factor in terms of why a gun is malfunctioning but, imo, too many times the manufacturer is given a pass for producing a sub-standard firearm. How many other types of purchases that don't work right initially, from toasters to lawn mowers, do we give the benefit of the doubt to the maker? Not very bloody many is my guess.

tarosean
August 24, 2013, 01:28 AM
Yep, I'm an American too. There's absolutely no reason why a $700.00 pistol shouldn't work perfectly right out of the box. Many other "platforms" do and there's no reason why a 1911 shouldn't. The ones I have did and do.

Now-a-days with exception of AR's. What other type of firearm is manufactured by dozens and dozens of companies? maybe CZ clones come the closest with a small handful of clones... Otherwise a Glock is a Glock, etc. etc. etc.

Too many people give too many excuses as to why a given pistol doesn't function correctly from the get-go: bad ammunition, limp-wristing, bad magazines, wrong recoil springs, extractor needs attention, needs 500 or so rounds of break-in, etc.

Agree 100%..

Valkman
August 24, 2013, 01:45 AM

As have my 7 1911's which includes a Kimber Compact CDP. The CDP is my carry gun and I trust it completely. If you want to shoot a Glock then shoot a Glock but don't say all 1911's are unreliable.

Skylerbone
August 24, 2013, 11:37 AM
How many other types of purchases that don't work right initially, from toasters to lawn mowers, do we give the benefit of the doubt to the maker?

Having worked in a department store many moons ago I can tell you that no brand, of the thousands we carried, ever managed to be 100%. Not Sony, not HP, not Remington, not Beretta, not Graco, not Weider, not Bunn or even Nike. The most failed products we sold by far were lawn mowers. Murray, Lawn Boy and MTD. Why? Buyers would yank the giant orange warning tag off the top without reading it, the one advising them to pour the bottle of oil attached to the tag in to the law mower before using because they are shipped empty. We gave up selling mowers.

Without specifics, the OP is not asking for help in fixing the problem. All mechanical devices need adjustment from time to time. Tune up, new ink cartridge, air up a tire, oil a chain. Yeah, we don't think about the "passes" given and we wouldn't accept someone showing up here to say "Fords don't like me. After only 59,000 miles my Ford stopped running."

Would anyone ask if it ran out of gas? Had it ever had an oil change? Was the radiator damaged when the car hit a deer on the highway? No, Fords don't like me really doesn't fly.

Concerning the OP who now says he likes to tinker with his 1911...I like to tinker with my Jeep but I make sure I know what I'm doing first. I suspect by the body of your post you do not. So here's post #46, still no closer to a solution, merely arguing back and forth as to the ability of a mechanical device's ability to work. As I stated, complaint thread, and a waste of time.

ExTank
August 24, 2013, 12:21 PM
I must have good gun "karma." I read these posts about jams, misfires, etc., and have only been plagued by any kind of similar problems once in 30+ years of shooting, and it was definitely bad ammo.

I am NOT disputing the OP, but I have 3 different 1911's (all Springfields), and have shot many more makes/models of 1911s, 9mms, .40s, etc, and have never had a problem with any of them.

My P22, considered by many as a cheap, plastic & pot metal problem gun, has performed flawlessly for 3,000+ rounds with the cheapest ammo I can find at the time.

gpb
August 24, 2013, 03:15 PM
I guess I’ve been lucky with 1911s. I have purchased three in life. All were bought new in the box. All three were .45 ACP.

The first was in 1971. It was a Colt Government model. The second was in 1995. It was a Kimber with adjustable sights. The last was a Rock Island Armory GI model purchased in 2011.

With all three purchases I bought one box of factory hard ball with the pistol. In all cases the pistols were disassembled, cleaned and oiled before use. In all cases there were two to four stumbles in the first two to three magazines of ammunition. After the initial stumbles the pistols ran through the remainder of the factory ammunition with no problems. After the first box of factory ammunition, only reloads were used after that with no problems.

After reading of all the problems that people have with 1911s, I consider myself to be fortunate that the ones I’ve owned have been trouble free.

Officers'Wife
August 24, 2013, 04:42 PM
My Colt "Commander" seems to digest round nose ammunition without problem or complaint. But I'm told it's not a "real" 1911 since it's chambered for 38 Super instead of 45 ACP.

treg
August 25, 2013, 03:33 PM
As a machinist in the machine repair and modification industry and a huge admirer of JMB, I've tried to like the 1911 but they just don't fit my hand "right".

Now the HP on the other hand.........

Aceoky
August 26, 2013, 12:30 PM
Horse "feathers" thousand upon thousand of folks have proved that to be totally false a $500 or so pistol won't likely have the finish of a more expensive one- but they go bang when trigger is pressed and many, many are very accurate- ask me how I KNOW this

Stevie-Ray
August 26, 2013, 04:02 PM
I've had 3 1911s that worked perfectly and one that didn't. That puts me at 75% perfect for just mine. The percentile goes up if I include all those I've shot. Conversely, I'm at 50% for Glocks. Personally, I like both, but advantage: 1911.

W.E.G.
August 26, 2013, 06:29 PM
I've had four different 1911's, and I've fired several others.

I get brass-to-face (BTF) on every flavor I've ever tried.
I guess the 7-round magazine wasn't that big of a detriment, since I'd be "out of the fight" from blindness before I could ever finish a mag.

Spent a bunch of money and time on one of 'em to try to solve the BTF issue, and never got it resolved.

Sold all but one of them (has .22 rimfire kit in it now), and moved on to other guns for my important handgun needs.

tomrkba
August 26, 2013, 06:52 PM
When one buys eight big name 1911's over the period of a decade and only two work properly out of the box, it tends to make the buyer believe "1911's suck". For the most part, they do. It is a crappy design that needs too much tweaking to get right. Hilton Yam goes on and on able how to test a 1911 for reliability. I could do all that or I could buy a different gun based upon a better design. I bet that raising the top cartridge so it is more in line with the chamber would improve the situation quite a bit. However, such a beastie would be a SIG, Glock, HK, or any of a large pool of modern handguns.

Teachu2
August 26, 2013, 07:12 PM
When one buys eight big name 1911's over the period of a decade and only two work properly out of the box, it tends to make the buyer believe "1911's suck". For the most part, they do. It is a crappy design that needs too much tweaking to get right. Hilton Yam goes on and on able how to test a 1911 for reliability. I could do all that or I could buy a different gun based upon a better design. I bet that raising the top cartridge so it is more in line with the chamber would improve the situation quite a bit. However, such a beastie would be a SIG, Glock, HK, or any of a large pool of modern handguns.
The 1911 as designed works great with the ammo it was designed for. The problem is that the design gets improved by every manufacturer/gunsmith/pistolero/tinkerer that makes or owns one. Add "improvements" and reliability suffers.

Take a box-stock 1911 that was built to original specs and feed it hardball, and it'll be reliable and combat-accurate. Tighten it up, add a match barrel, and feed it ashtray hollowpoints or SWCs, and it may have issues....

Double_J
August 26, 2013, 08:00 PM
I own a Taurus PT1911 and I have only had one issue with it in over 800 rounds. The issue I had was that it would not feed one brand of JHP. I fixed this issue by changing brands that I bought and never looked back. I have heard the same thing from several other people who own this same model. I personally think that the issue is how the feed ramp is cut, but the pistol was designed for round nose ammo.

I have shot quite a few different 1911's over the past 15 years of my pistol career. Those range from worn-out sloppy colts to brand new HIGH DOLLAR race guns. I had two of them give me headaches, one due to being so used that nothing was within tolerance anymore, the other was a brand new pistol that had less than 100 rounds downrange. The worn out model was retired until it could be rebuilt, the owner guesses it had over 300,000 rounds through it. The brand new model ran fine after we tore it down, cleaned it, lubed it, and spent some time shooting it. After about 250-300 rounds it was shooting fine.

I am a believer that if a mechanical device does not work right the first time, look it over for an obvious fault. If you are unable to find an obvious fault, then have someone else look at it. I have seen times when the issue is as simple as incorrect operation, limp-wristing, failure to lube properly, using cheap ammo in an expensive gun, not cleaning the gun before use, and not reading the users manual. (I know we should all know how the gun works, but there might be some quirks that we need to understand before use)

chrt396
October 15, 2013, 02:26 PM
They will ALL run out of the box..usually! The more expensive guns just run better with supreme accuracy! (as long as I do my part!)

tipoc
October 15, 2013, 03:02 PM
Boy every time I read the internet I'm amazed at how many fellas just cannot shoot a 1911. They learn to shoot on polymer guns, and sometimes just video games or you tube, and just cannot shoot a 1911. The gun flummoxes them, confounds them, confuses them, scares them, etc. I've run into fellas like this on occasion at the range. They complain. I pick up the same gun and bang, bang, bang.

"They brass hits me in the face": The fella was standing too close to the wall of the lane and it was hitting the wall and bouncing into his face. He cried like a baby. Pretend it's rain! So wear a hat! That's why the Army invented baseball caps. Brass Avoidance Sspecialized Eequipment for Ball cap, as in ball ammo. BASEBall Cap. That's how the game of baseball got it's start. One fella wore the cap another stood by with a bat to knock the brass away from his face. Go Big Papi!

It's too heavy, sob, sob, sob. All day long your momma picked up your 30 pound chubby baby behind up and down and carried you everywhere, and maybe still does, but you can't carry 42ozs. of steel! Plus your momma carried you for 9 months deep concealment as your head kept swelling, and you complain more about a side arm then she complained about you. Cowboy up!

It's a poor design! So are you but you're momma loves you anyway. By comparison the 1911 works wonderfully compared to ya'alls lazy no gun shooting behinds! :)

It's an old design, sob, sob, sob! So is the ax and the knife. They still work and so does the 1911.

It take a $3,000 gun to get one that works. Why do I keep getting $400. guns that work well I wonder? Maybe it's because I can tell a good one from a bad. If a fella can't find a good one for under a grand it's the shooter not the gun that is at fault.

More often many who complain about not being able to shoot a 1911 or get one working right are correct. But it's more often these days the fault of the shooter.

tipoc

Joespapa
October 15, 2013, 03:09 PM
If I had to have a bet my life reliable firearm, it'd be my Sig P226 or Ruger P89. I've never ever had an issue with either one through thousands of rounds each.

IF I had to bet my life......

It would be a REVOLVER!
JMT,YMMV

tomrkba
October 15, 2013, 06:29 PM
They will ALL run out of the box..usually! The more expensive guns just run better with supreme accuracy! (as long as I do my part!)

Not in my experience. Five of seven either never worked or needed two or more trips back to the factory to make them functional. Only the two Colts I have owned were great out of the box.

chrt396
January 29, 2014, 01:02 PM
You are right! They ALL should work! It's just so much nicer with a beautiful trigger... impecible finish...and superb accuracy. HOWEVER...they should all go bang without fail!

chrt396
January 29, 2014, 01:08 PM
Boy every time I read the internet I'm amazed at how many fellas just cannot shoot a 1911. They learn to shoot on polymer guns, and sometimes just video games or you tube, and just cannot shoot a 1911. The gun flummoxes them, confounds them, confuses them, scares them, etc. I've run into fellas like this on occasion at the range. They complain. I pick up the same gun and bang, bang, bang.

"They brass hits me in the face": The fella was standing too close to the wall of the lane and it was hitting the wall and bouncing into his face. He cried like a baby. Pretend it's rain! So wear a hat! That's why the Army invented baseball caps. Brass Avoidance Sspecialized Eequipment for Ball cap, as in ball ammo. BASEBall Cap. That's how the game of baseball got it's start. One fella wore the cap another stood by with a bat to knock the brass away from his face. Go Big Papi!

It's too heavy, sob, sob, sob. All day long your momma picked up your 30 pound chubby baby behind up and down and carried you everywhere, and maybe still does, but you can't carry 42ozs. of steel! Plus your momma carried you for 9 months deep concealment as your head kept swelling, and you complain more about a side arm then she complained about you. Cowboy up!

It's a poor design! So are you but you're momma loves you anyway. By comparison the 1911 works wonderfully compared to ya'alls lazy no gun shooting behinds! :)

It's an old design, sob, sob, sob! So is the ax and the knife. They still work and so does the 1911.

It take a $3,000 gun to get one that works. Why do I keep getting $400. guns that work well I wonder? Maybe it's because I can tell a good one from a bad. If a fella can't find a good one for under a grand it's the shooter not the gun that is at fault.

More often many who complain about not being able to shoot a 1911 or get one working right are correct. But it's more often these days the fault of the shooter.

tipoc
That was actually funny!

I still like more expensive 1911's! I've owned Kimbers...still do! Never shot a new 1911 under $800. I started with a Kimber CDP Pro II. Hated it!! I owned a new Kimber Target...nice gun...but it was stolen. I DO have a cool gun that I bought used. It was an older Kimber Custom series 1 that was hard chromed...has carbon fiber grips and fiber optic sights!! THAT is a cool gun...has some bling to it..shoots very accurately.. and I bought it out the door for $600..used.
But..I still like Baers, WC's and Browns! Cannot help myself!!

tipoc
January 29, 2014, 01:40 PM
These type threads remind me of a fella a knew who had a blog about Honda vehicles being crap. He complained that when he bought one new the windshield wiper fluid would not work. Turned out that in assembly a fella had left a piece of tape where he shouldn't have left it. Tape removed, wipers worked.

Then he discovered he didn't like the steering wheel.
Then he broke of the key in the ignition. Complained of cheap keys.
Then he complained that the turn signal switch was in the wrong place.
Then he complained that when he was drunk and drove it into a tree it cost a lot to repair.

I know a fella who recently bought a new Dan Wesson Valor. It was his first 1911. Complained to me that it wasn't as reliable or accurate as his Glock in 40S&W. How many rounds did you put through it? I asked. 200 he said and I had 4 jams. I went to the range with him. I put 100 rounds through it with no problems with good accuracy.

Your first 1911 and you're not used to it, I told him. You may also not be used to the features on this gun, etc. Give it time. He sold it anyway and claims 1911s are not reliable. It was him that made the gun unreliable. It usually is.

Some folk are not made for the gun. Impatience and inexperience play a role. But it's rarely the gun in my experience.

Also internet blather (some of it payed for) plays a role.

tipoc

MagnunJoe
January 29, 2014, 09:58 PM
UPDATE
Tipoc Opened the door and revived an old thead.
Since receiving my MetalForm bottom welded 7 round mags, I have shot a total of 400 flawless rounds with both the Ruger and the Remy. I am a happy camper.

torqem
January 29, 2014, 10:06 PM
.45 ball aint much of a load. It's just had a billion lies told about it, that's all. If any other handgun design had even 10% as many problems as the 1911 has, it would go out of production in a year. If it was a new design and was so problematic, it probably never get off the ground, in fact. I am a big fan of the 1911, actually, but if I couldn't smith it myself, I wouldn't touch one with a 10 ft pole.

tipoc
January 29, 2014, 10:07 PM
No it was CHRT396 who's to blame. None of me.

tipoc

MagnunJoe
January 30, 2014, 09:15 AM
No harm done Tipoc, I'm glad I was able to resolve the issue with the mags since the next step was to polish the feeding system.

tomrkba
January 30, 2014, 09:25 AM

Some folk are not made for the gun. Impatience and inexperience play a role. But it's rarely the gun in my experience.

I have had seven production 1911's from 1997 through 2007. Makes were Springfield, Kimber and Colt. Only the Colts were any good. My SA Loaded M9109 was good for 900 rounds before it went belly up. My EMP 9mm needed three trips to the factory to get working. The Kimber never worked due to the external extractor AND several serious manufacturing flaws. The replacement Kimber had exactly the same issues. I paid attention to forums and how people troubleshoot 1911's. I had high quality magazines from all the major manufacturers. I used all types of FMJ ammo and kept them onhand for testing.

If 1911's are so great, why can't companies consistently make guns that function well until the first round of maintenance? I wasted so much money on them that I could have had a high end custom gun and a pallet of ammo.

tipoc
January 30, 2014, 11:06 AM
Magnum Joe,

I was mostly joking around some. But it's often the mags.

tipoc

osteodoc08
January 30, 2014, 02:10 PM
I posted earlier, but I see this thread has been going a while.

OP, if you dont like them, trade them off. No sense in keeping something around you dont like or want.

May I suggest a Sig P220 or P227. A Glock? An M&P, XDm.....the list goes on.

Paul7
January 30, 2014, 04:03 PM
Many of us have great affection for the 1911, but if I had to choose between a NIB 1911 (any make/model/mfg) and a NIB Glock 21 to bet my life on without any testing whatsoever.....well, the Glock is the winner.

I've owned, built, carried, and competed with 1911s since 1980. I've owned everything from recycled parts box specials to a Les Baer SRP, and worked on many more. The SRP is incredibly tight, extremely accurate, and fairly pricey. It's also functioned flawlessly for me. So has a stock Colt Series80 Govt Stainless. My Colt Series 70 that some idiot had ported would run fine for 100-150 rounds, then start jamming as it gunked up around the ports. That's why I bought it cheap. Fitted a new barrel without ports, and it shoots nearly as well as the SRP.
My three 1911s run flawlessly, by Glock 21 never did run right even after going back to the factory.

tark
January 30, 2014, 05:32 PM
1911s are no different from any other auto pistols I have owned through the years. And I am talking over 40 years of shooting. Some work flawlessly from day one.....some don't. I have owned one automatic pistol in my life that has never malfunctioned in any way, shape, or form. I have owned it for thirty-five years and ran thousands of rounds through it. It is an Astra 400.

JDR
January 30, 2014, 08:29 PM
I own a S&W 1911 Stainless government model, and it has been a great gun.

I took my SW1911 to my gunsmith and had a reliability tune done to it; it was usually pretty reliable before, now it shoots everything I feed it without a hiccup. I told him I didn't like the FLGR and the FPB, and he said don't mess with it. I asked him which magazines I should use with it, he asked me what I was using, I said I use Wilson 47D mags, he said these were as good as any. I believe there is a value in letting a good gunsmith work on my guns.

orionengnr
January 30, 2014, 09:34 PM
I have had seven production 1911's from 1997 through 2007. Makes were Springfield, Kimber and Colt. Only the Colts were any good.
I have owned about 25 1911s from various manufacturers since 1982.
Three of them were Colts, and I don't own a Colt today.
Three of them were Springfields, and I don't own a Springfield today.
The list of 1911s I no longer own goes on, but I'll tell you what I do own (because one or more has worked 100% over a period of time):
Kimber
Les Baer
S&W
Dan Wesson

YMMV.

miles1
January 30, 2014, 11:49 PM
Sorry to hear the OP's bad luck.Its the main reason I would not spend money on a 1911 peroid.I guess expectations are different for everyone but Iv'e never had any problems with polymer guns. For the same amount of $$$$$$$ I can pick up 1-2 XD's,M&P's or Glocks and not have to worry about reliability like the ol'e jim browning classic.YMMV.

StrawHat
January 31, 2014, 01:17 PM
...reliability like the ol'e jim browning classic.YMMV...
jim browning???

JR24
January 31, 2014, 01:47 PM
Well, in my experience I've had more jamming issues with my SIGs and XD (that I no longer own) than my 5 1911's (2 Kimbers, Springfield, Remington, RIA) which have all run 100% from day one.

Guess I'm lucky?

miles1
January 31, 2014, 05:39 PM
jim browning???
Oops..tired when I typed that...John Browning.

fourspeed2
January 31, 2014, 06:04 PM
If I had a choice of one handgun to own,it would be a "Colt" 1911.Period. I own a few 1911's. Colt Gold cup, colt 1911 pre WW1made in 1912,Kimber ultra Covert, Caspian custom. I LOVE THE 1911. I love the way it shoots,I love the way the slide racks, I love the way it feels.
If I was under attack, being overrun, and had a choice that my life depended on it, I WOULD MOST DEFINETLY GRAB MY GLOCK 22 40 S&W.
end of story.

jimbo555
January 31, 2014, 06:28 PM
The weight was my issue, switched to a glock 30s. 30 ounces loaded with 11 rounds.

1911guy45
January 31, 2014, 10:45 PM
My experience has been the opposite of this. I bought a SA Loaded and have shot 300 rounds through it with no issues.:eek:

MagnunJoe
February 2, 2014, 10:28 AM
R U kidding me, now I love my 1911s. somewhere here in THR someone mentioned upgrading the mags and that's all it took for my babies to shoot well. Not to mention that flushed 7 round mags look and feel a lot better than the big huge over sized 8 round clockers they came with.

Mike J
February 3, 2014, 09:36 AM
Glad the mags cured it Magnun Joe. I haven't had any problem with the factory mags that came with my Ruger. If I were you I might try cleaning the factory mags & see if they worked better then. If you decided you wanted to sell the factory Ruger mags I would be interested.

If you enjoyed reading about "1911s don't like me." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!