Can someone define trolling vs flaming?

PDA

YZ
August 22, 2013, 08:45 PM
see title

If you enjoyed reading about "Can someone define trolling vs flaming?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JShirley
August 22, 2013, 08:51 PM
Flaming is an attack on a particular member.

Trolling is named after trolling for fish: it's posting something that's designed to start fights and cause trouble.

YZ
August 22, 2013, 08:54 PM
thanks

BowerR64
August 22, 2013, 08:57 PM
I may not be right but i think of a troll as some one who just posts stupid posts doesnt contribute a thing to the forum never has anything good to say. They may join just to post links to their website or put down something or the forum usually arnt around very long before they get banned. They usually break the rules quickly.

Flamed is when you get yelled at by regulars to the forum who dont agree with a post or a topic.

JShirley
August 22, 2013, 09:44 PM
Well, anyone can get flamed.

It's wise to remember there are various kinds of trolls. One common type here at THR will join and deliberately post as though they were completely ignorant of firearms, just to provoke a reaction.

John

Walkalong
August 22, 2013, 09:47 PM
Flaming: That has to be the worst way in the world to do that. Who would ever think of doing it that way? (Very similar to insulting)

Trolling: 1911s are the worst gun ever invented. (Looking for a fight by getting people mad.) Some trolling is more subtle.

YZ
August 22, 2013, 10:12 PM
To my teenage son (and to his friends obviously) a troll is someone who spoils the others' good time on purpose. Or in a mild variation, just teases you constantly.

Sam1911
August 22, 2013, 11:11 PM
Hmmm. I thought that was a "wet blanket." Though I haven't heard that expression in a while. "Buzzkill" is popular. (And a few other non-THR variants.)

Most of the time what folks here get called "trolls" for is starting a thread, or jumping into a thread, to post something like...

"I don't see why background checks are such a bad idea...", or
"Soldiers know the AR-15 is a piece of crap...", or
"Maybe if we just gave them the gun show loophole thing they'd leave alone our duck guns...", or
"I found this great gun group that's more reasonable than the NRA. They're called AHSA and they really represent us 'normal' gun owners...", or
"1911s never run right, so here's a list of some pistols that are better than 1911s...", or
"My watch commander says we're going to upgrade to the 10mm MP-5 next month because of increased gang activity at the retail facility where I'm a customer security and loss prevention officer...", or

... some other sentiment SO naive, or bullheadedly opinionated, or grossly defeatest, or inflammatory, or unbelievable, or just irresistibly WRONG as to get under every other member's skin immediately and bring down the ire of the entire board on the poster's head. The real "skillful" ones work as subtly as they can to see just how long they can keep the farce running and how many replies they can get.

You ever go to a gun forum and see a thread where the OP states that he thinks the Glock's grip angle is "just wrong," and there are 27 PAGES of replies, with dudes still arguing about it a month later? Yeah...that's a troll at the top of his game.

Flaming is sort of the natural meat of the troll. Overheated, nasty, loud-mouthed responses to his posts, where he gets the members to look like utter mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging cretins, acting like children and-or drop-outs from anger management class.

YZ
August 22, 2013, 11:49 PM
I thought a troll is strictly a pest, but you include much more than that. People express themselves differently. That makes a discussion interesting even when the subject is boring or short-lived.
"I don't see why background checks are such a bad idea..." That's an opinion, stated as an opinion.

Sam1911
August 23, 2013, 12:32 AM
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, as Dr. Freud would say.

And that's the troll's real art. When he's got everyone just not quite 50% sure they just KNOW he's yanking their chains but they can't quite resist hitting the "Post" button anyway.

If they were obvious about it, it wouldn't work. And, if there weren't plenty of folks who DO ask these questions legitimately, he'd have no cover, no camouflage. Sometimes a troll is very deliberate. (All hail the greatest of all time: Gecko45 (http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/)) Sometimes, one has to assume, they're just a legitimately opinionated dude who really really really believes that the 5.56 can't cut it on the battlefield, or that Obama isn't really "all that" anti-gun, or that his job chasing shoplifters at the Midland Heights Mall puts him on the front lines of the War on Terror -- and that he needs to convince everyone else of the truth he's revealed.

And sometimes it just doesn't matter which. We rarely simply stifle such folks. But we also consider it disruptive of our board's purpose to let such "flame fests" drag on for very long, which is one of the reasons we get the regular question here in Tech Support about why we close "so many" threads. We have a principle of "asked and answered" or the "3 Page Rule," or simply "Enough already!" that tends to limit how long a trip down one of these rabbit holes the forum has to endure.

blarby
August 23, 2013, 12:52 AM
Ahhh, gecko45........

Blast from da past !

BowerR64
August 23, 2013, 01:09 AM
Ahhh, gecko45........

Blast from da past !
Thats kinda scary, he talks like he knows what hes doing with a little twist of out there.

YZ
August 23, 2013, 03:45 AM
So? At least he is remembered by all!

^^^
I think I got it

Justin
August 23, 2013, 08:58 AM
Ultimately, trolling is a behavior that arises out of a deliberate misrepresentation of oneself on a forum in order to accomplish a goal that isn't obvious to other users. In most cases, people troll because they think it's funny to try to get a rise out of others, commonly referred to as "doing it for the lulz." In other cases, trolling can be done for more serious ends. For instance, here at THR, a concern troll is someone who is, in real life, anti-gun, but will sign up here and misrepresent themselves as someone who's pro-gun but who "has concerns." For instance, someone who starts a thread with a title along the lines of "I'm very pro-gun, but I'm concerned about the proliferation of assault weapons" or "I'm pro-gun, but I have concerns about how the NRA represents gun owners."

For a recent, but perfect example, of concern trolling, see this thread:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=726304

User dc dalton posts a link to an article that makes a big deal about the NRA engaging in the kind of data gathering that every major corporation, non-profit, and political activism group engages in every day, but uses the article as a pretext to sow FUD about the NRA. He didn't explicitly state his affiliation with another gun-related organization until confronted with that fact. (It's interesting to note he's added a sig line to his organization, but still doesn't divulge the fact that he's the founder.)

On a lighter note, the following website is an amusing compilation of the various kinds of people you're likely to run into in online discussions:

http://www.flamewarriorsguide.com/

YZ
August 23, 2013, 02:06 PM
Is there a term for jumping on a bandwagon, with endless repetition of the same? Say, eye protection is good, or don't point your gun at people? On and on, beating the dead horse, everyone is right and holier than Pope?

9mmepiphany
August 23, 2013, 02:35 PM
Is that your attempt at trolling?

YZ
August 23, 2013, 02:39 PM
I forgot you were there. No, evidently a question for someone else.

9mmepiphany
August 23, 2013, 03:42 PM
Even inadvertently, it is a good example of a trolling post

Black Butte
August 23, 2013, 11:37 PM
Troll: Anybody who purchases a Hi-Point lacks even the basic cognitive ability possessed by most sewer-dwelling microbes.

Flame: Your purchasing a Hi-Point proves you're even dumber than you are stupid.

Polite: I don't much care for Hi-Points.

Honest: Hi-Points are cheap guns.

Aggressive: If you purchase a Hi-Point, I'll slap you silly.

Humorous: I got a Hi-Point for my wife. It wasn't a good trade.

YZ
August 23, 2013, 11:43 PM
Much depends on the context I suppose. Someone can and will take "cheap" as a backhanded insult.
Any case, gun for wife was funny. I'll save this one for work.

Radagast
September 2, 2013, 08:02 AM
John Melvin Davis.

Edit: Just posting that name could be construed as trolling. That's Gunkid, the internet's worst gun board troll for years.

http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2006/07/target-is-dismounted-troll-in-open.html
http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com.au/2006/07/goodbye-gunkid.html
http://multigun.wordpress.com/2010/11/03/the-return-of-gunkid/
http://www.voy.com/9259/7854.html

Dframe
September 2, 2013, 10:55 AM
As far as I'm concerned they're both worthless. Definitions aside, neither makes a useful contribution and should NEVER be engaged, simply ignored.

zxcvbob
September 2, 2013, 11:03 AM
On a lighter note, the following website is an amusing compilation of the various kinds of people you're likely to run into in online discussions:

http://www.flamewarriorsguide.com/

I was going to post this, but you beat me to it -- and saved me the trouble of finding it again cuz it keeps moving around. I'm glad to see it's still available w/o having to use archive.org

I have a signed print of "Evil Clown" in my office ;)

Potatohead
September 10, 2013, 08:25 PM

YZ
September 10, 2013, 09:38 PM
Guilty of nothing bud. Don't do this now.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can someone define trolling vs flaming?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!