Would an AR be your only rifle? (what rifle type would an only rifle be?)

PDA

Warp
August 23, 2013, 02:03 PM
Yes, this is one of those "if you could only have X" threads. If you don't want to play, don't play. ;)

Some of us enjoy discussing hypotheticals about guns because we like talking about guns, some of us like to force ourselves to prioritize, and consider how much consolidation we could, some of us might be in a financial or living situation where multiple rifles are not feasible, etc.

If you could only have one rifle, would it be an AR type?

We'll see that, for purposes of this poll/thread/discussion, you could have an alternate upper allowing for a couple of different cartridges. (a .22lr bolt in a 5.56 upper would not count towards the two cartridges). That would still count as one rifle (and if you would select a non AR, you could do the same, if applicable to that rifle)

This is not a SHTF thread, necessarily. This is not a deserted in the wilderness survival situation thread, necessarily.

What this is, is take your life, in its entirety, as you know it at this moment in time and what you expect for the future...select ONE rifle for the remainder of your life. What would it be?

There are sub categories/questions in the poll responses.

If you enjoyed reading about "Would an AR be your only rifle? (what rifle type would an only rifle be?)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Outlaw Man
August 23, 2013, 03:25 PM
If I had to choose just one, I'd probably go with a suppressed bolt gun in a moderate, flat-shooting caliber, like a .308 or .243.

zonzin
August 23, 2013, 03:28 PM
But why can't I keep them all?

Many tools in the tool box.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
August 23, 2013, 03:41 PM
Yeah, I don't hunt anymore. The AR would serve me fine. I would miss long range with my bolt actions, but I would sacrifice that to keep the AR as a HD rifle(don't get me wrong the shotgun is my first choice for HD). The AR can fill so many rolls, that is the most important to me. One gun to do the most that I will ever need done.

Good poll Warp, I like the choices.

chicharrones
August 23, 2013, 07:48 PM
As much as I think a black AR is not as fine looking as a nice bolt gun, or nice lever gun . . .

The older I get, the AR seems to have everything I would want for the coming decades.

- Good accuracy
- Light recoil
- Fairly inexpensive ammo (in 5.56)
- Adaptability of different hardware or optics (when you change your mind)
- Standard capacity mags
- Semi-auto (future arthritis may make working a lever or bolt a pain)
- It's already a .22 (a fast one) and everyone needs one of those
- Can be kept light
- Easy to get parts and work on myself (so far)

I could see myself shooting an AR 'til I'm 90 years old. A .308 bolt gun? Not so much.

Hmmm. When I'm 90 the AR will be nearly 100. By then, we may look at the AR the way we look at lever guns now. ;)

DAP90
August 23, 2013, 10:09 PM
Making the assumption I can still have my shotguns and handguns I’d go with the Encore I currently own as an only rifle – not counting my rimfires.

I can cover HD/SD with the handguns and clays/bird hunting with the shotguns. I use the Encore for the limited big game hunting I do. If I could have separate rimfire rifles, great, otherwise I guess I just get some for more barrels for the Encore.

beeenbag
August 23, 2013, 10:18 PM
I would have to pick the trusty "turdy turdy" in a lever action. It works for hunting and for HD if called up on to do so.

TexAg
August 23, 2013, 10:31 PM
I hunt, but I've never hunted outside of Texas as much as I'd like to. Given that, I could live with the AR as my only rifle. .223 isn't my favorite deer/pig round, but it'll work. Home defense, predator control, shooting games and range fun; it fills more categories than any other.

dprice3844444
August 23, 2013, 10:51 PM
colt le901 308/223

Inebriated
August 24, 2013, 12:59 AM
SGL-21 would be the last rifle to leave the stable.

mljdeckard
August 24, 2013, 01:16 AM
Sure. Even more so if it's an AR-10.

paintballdude902
August 24, 2013, 02:15 AM
id get an ar and just swap uppers :) ill be the only person when SHTF that has one lower and 10 uppers LOL from .22lr up to .50bmg

.......... i can dream cant i?

August 24, 2013, 03:09 AM
300 win mag

68wj
August 24, 2013, 12:09 PM
Voted AR.

ugaarguy
August 24, 2013, 12:22 PM
ARs have been the only rifles that have stuck with me. I rarely if ever hunt, so I can leave that criteria off. Right now a couple of 5.56 ARs and a dedicated .22 LR upper cover all my needs & wants from HD to plinking. If I need more oomph than Mk 262 Mod 1, then a .300 blackout upper is an easy swap to light .30-30 ballistics. Ammo can be hand loaded with light 30 caliber bullets, properly resized .223 / 5.56 brass, and a new set of dies as the only requirements to switch from loading 5.56 ammo.

So, would an AR be my only rifle? A couple of them already are.

montanaoffroader
August 24, 2013, 03:15 PM
Levergun for me. My favorite hunting rifle is a Marlin .30-30, no reason to change it.

jmr40
August 24, 2013, 03:52 PM
If I never hunted anything larger than deer an AR would be just about perfect. But while deer are the primary large game I hunt, black bear are a very real possibility. Elk are on my bucket list too so a lightweight, accurate 308 bolt rifle would be the one I'd keep if forced to only have 1 centerfire.

Roadking Rider
August 24, 2013, 04:10 PM
No, I have a few rifles but I have to admit my 1981 Marlin 336 30/30, just might be the rifle I could not part with if I could only have one for protection as well as for food. It's all around real world simplicity, length, weight, accuracy and durability makes it such a winner in my book. If my life had to depend on a rifle I think I'd want to keep it as simple as possible.

Jackal
August 24, 2013, 04:15 PM
If I could only own 1 gun, it would be a German K98 with a pile of ammo. There is literally nothing you cannot do with it (that guns are used for) and it will work in the worst environments on this planet. Need to hunt small game such as squirrels? Make traps.

Officers'Wife
August 24, 2013, 04:37 PM
If the choice was taken away and I could only keep one it would be my Lee Enfield. But somehow I don't believe if such a choice came to pass either the AR or Enfield would be allowable choices.

beatledog7
August 24, 2013, 04:43 PM
A lever action rifle in 30-30, for many purposes. I'd have to pass on really long shots, but I do that pretty much anyway.

I don't currently own such a rifle, but that's because I'm not limited to just one.

savanahsdad
August 25, 2013, 02:31 AM
opps... I voted before reading post :banghead: and I voted semi auto, thinking of cal , I would have picked one of my 44mags "Deerfield" or "Ruger Carbine" because I have 44mag wheel guns to match , now I'm thinking AR15 with a few uppers , anyone making a 44mag upper yet :eek:

justice06rr
August 27, 2013, 02:28 AM
If I was forced to buy only one rifle and it had to be an AR, I'd be ok with that. I would even use it for hunting if necessary

Although It would have to be chambered in .308, and will be between Knights Armament or LMT only.

captain awesome
August 27, 2013, 03:12 AM
I love my Encore. Its a varmint rifle, an elk rifle, a deer rifle, a bear rifle, and a prarie dog rifle. And it shoots as good or better than any other rifle I own. The only down side is slower reloads.

Nappers
August 27, 2013, 08:23 AM
Beeenbag: I would have to pick the trusty "turdy turdy" in a lever action. It works for hunting and for HD if called up on to do so.

Gotta love the "Turdy - Turdy!"

Officers'Wife
August 27, 2013, 11:37 AM
Gotta love the "Turdy - Turdy!"
Turdy turdy? That's a new one... My grandfather always called it the Chuck Conner's tap dance.

henschman
August 27, 2013, 11:49 AM
It would be an AR in 5.56 for me. It can take down pretty much any of the game we have in these parts if I actually have to use it to feed myself; but I'm thinking if there is a situation in which I'm forced to grab one rifle and head out the door, I am going to be a lot more worried about those 2-legged varmints. In dealing with them, I'm thinking the ability to carry a lot of ammo would be a very good thing -- and playing the odds, the 5.56 does well at the distances you are most likely to be needing a fighting rifle at. If I'm mostly expecting to use it at just 0-300m, I might as well go with something that is light, low recoiling, for which I can carry a lot of ammo, and for which I can scavenge mags, ammo, and parts off BG's who have no further use for them!

mavracer
August 27, 2013, 12:20 PM
Didn't vote because honestly it wouldn't matter all that much to me. I could get by with a lever or bolt gun as good as a auto.

Warp
August 27, 2013, 12:23 PM
Didn't vote because honestly it wouldn't matter all that much to me. I could get by with a lever or bolt gun as good as a auto.

Would you choose a lever? Or would you choose a bolt? Or would you choose a semi auto?

BigBore44
August 27, 2013, 12:33 PM
I hate this question because of the amount of variables. So I voted all other. I think in a survival/worst case/gotta have meat scenario, I want the least amount of moving parts possible. KISS. I'm also assuming that we wouldn't be able to just hop online and order some new parts next day aired to our shanty in the deep woods. I'm thinking a break over with iron sights in 243 or 7mm-08. But also, how available is ammo for this question? That dictates my caliber choice.

Warp
August 27, 2013, 12:54 PM
I hate this question because of the amount of variables. So I voted all other. I think in a survival/worst case/gotta have meat scenario, I want the least amount of moving parts possible. KISS. I'm also assuming that we wouldn't be able to just hop online and order some new parts next day aired to our shanty in the deep woods. I'm thinking a break over with iron sights in 243 or 7mm-08. But also, how available is ammo for this question? That dictates my caliber choice.

However available ammo is right now, and however available you expect ammo to be in the future.

mavracer
August 27, 2013, 02:15 PM
Would you choose a lever? Or would you choose a bolt? Or would you choose a semi auto?
I'm perfectly capable of running any of the three.
Browning BLR, Ruger GSR or AR10 in .308 I'll let you chose which one I can have.

hipoint
August 27, 2013, 04:52 PM
I'd have to vote for a bolt action .22 magnum. Accurate enough and enough power to take down anything I 'need' to take out and quiet enough. I'm voting as an all around rifle as well as a SHTF rifle. I can carry a TON of ammo if need be. It won't destroy a squirrel and will take a deer as well as being LEGAL (certainly not ideal) for deer hunting in my area.

I'd take a semi-auto .22 magnum as well, but rather have a nice tube fed bolt gun.

I don't see myself ever having to fend off hordes of zombies and have no desire for an AR.

Elm Creek Smith
August 27, 2013, 05:08 PM
Ruger Mini-14 5.56X45mm/.223 Remington with ATI stock, red dot, Weaver K2.5. I have plenty of ammo and magazines. It's plenty accurate, will shoot just about any kind of ammo (unlike my brother's HBAR), is "strong like bull," folds, and everyone in my family can use it well.

Then, I thought about an H&R/NEF with scads of barrels. Nope. Definitely the Ruger,...maybe.

ECS

silicosys4
August 27, 2013, 05:30 PM
If I were limited to one rifle in one caliber, it would be a bolt action rifle in an easy to find intermediate cartridge. Most likely a 30-06.
My needs include the ability to reliably and efficiently kill elk at 300+ yards if need be though.

ldlfh7
August 27, 2013, 05:35 PM
I would take my bolt 308...Why? Because I have the ability to make as much ammo for it as I want with no electricity. If I had the cash, it would probably be an AR-10.

planetmobius
August 27, 2013, 07:27 PM
Bolt action 30-06. It does everything.

Warp
August 27, 2013, 07:32 PM
Bolt action 30-06. It does everything.

Nothing does everything.

Not well or kinda-well, anyway.

I don't think I'd reach for a bolt action .30-06 as my home defense gun, for example. I don't think I'd use it for a defensive carbine/pistol match either.

Officers'Wife
August 27, 2013, 07:43 PM
Nothing does everything.

Not well or kinda-well, anyway.

I don't think I'd reach for a bolt action .30-06 as my home defense gun, for example. I don't think I'd use it for a defensive carbine/pistol match either.
30-06 for home defense? Completely worthless, just ask any veteran of WWI, WWII or Korea.

Warp
August 27, 2013, 07:57 PM
30-06 for home defense? Completely worthless, just ask any veteran of WWI, WWII or Korea.

Which bolt action .30-06 did they opt for in houses?

Refresh my memory.

Additionally, this isn't the 1920's. We have more and better options now than we did 90 years ago.

Dean1818
August 27, 2013, 08:39 PM
My AR15 in 6.8 would fit my needs...

doc2rn
August 27, 2013, 08:51 PM
Weatherby Mk V in 30-06

Officers'Wife
August 27, 2013, 08:51 PM
That would and still does depend on their preference. Options are just that, options. There is also the option of a 1911, Brownings, Glocks and Walthers. Yet there are more than a few diehards out there that depend on revolvers.

The 06, is a excellent cartridge and the bolt a useful platform for those versed in the character and performance. And while it is no longer a military cartridge, the only reason it was discontinued was to create interchangeability with weapons of other NATO countries not from it's lack of effectiveness. I personally feel much safer defended by a man with a bolt action he was practiced with than the guy with the "modern" option that believes newest will overcome personal inabilities. In the end a good machine operator and perform miracles with outdated equipment, the mediocre operator is going to blame the machine.

Item last, in an emergency I would walk three steps to get my Enfield if hubby's AR was within reach. Simply because I have the edge of many years of experience with the Enfield and fired the AR two times with one cartridge, the first and the last.

DeMilled
August 27, 2013, 09:01 PM
I've settled on the FN FAL as my general purpose rifle.

I'd go with an AR in 6.8 as a close second...

silicosys4
August 27, 2013, 09:55 PM
Which bolt action .30-06 did they opt for in houses?

Refresh my memory.

Additionally, this isn't the 1920's. We have more and better options now than we did 90 years ago.

The 30-06 is as good or better home defense round than the .223 is a hunting round.

Warp
August 27, 2013, 10:10 PM
The 30-06 is as good or better home defense round than the .223 is a hunting round.

Okay?

This thread/topic isn't really a caliber/cartridge war.

orionengnr
August 27, 2013, 10:16 PM
If I read the OP correctly, and it assumes the ability to have multiple uppers in various calibers, (and one lower were able to accommodate those varied chambered uppers...) then yes, I would consider an AR as my only rifle.

jrdolall
August 27, 2013, 10:36 PM
Good question as posed.
I much prefer to hunt with a bolt or a lever gun. I prefer a shotgun for HD. Since this is a "I can only have one" question I believe I would go with the AR. Based on my current circumstances I can kill any type of animal around with the .223. I would have the option of relatively long distance shots as well as the versatility of semi auto with "hi-cap" magazines. I could hunt, defend and attack using the AR if needed.
It isn't the best gun for all my needs but when I am forced to choose just ONE it is probably the best out there.

planetmobius
August 27, 2013, 10:36 PM
Well, if the rule is one rifle, then I'd rather settle on a 30-06 for home defense than a 5.56 for moose and bear.

mavracer
August 28, 2013, 08:03 AM
Well, if the rule is one rifle, then I'd rather settle on a 30-06 for home defense than a 5.56 for moose and bear.
Since they make bolts and autos in both calibers, that really has nothing to do with the OP's question.

arizona_cards_11
August 28, 2013, 11:46 AM
Other:

I'd choose a semi in 308.

mavracer
August 28, 2013, 12:30 PM
If we're talking hypotheticals here, I'll take both a bolt action and a semi auto. No reason you couldn't shrink down the BOHICA upper into a standard long action length it wouldn't even be that hard to devise a magazine system with a mag that feeds a 30/06 class round, that would have an adapter that locks in place and accepts AR15 5.56 mags. so I could concievably have one rifle that's a 22lr, 5.56 semi auto and a .308, 338 win mag bolt action.

Fiv3r
August 28, 2013, 01:14 PM
I could easily get by with just an AR in 5.56. Actually, of all my rifles, it's the one that I would grab in just about any situation I feel like I would be faced with.

For me, a rifle does two things. Punches paper for fun, and protects my home. I don't hunt. The AR does those two things just fine, and I rather enjoy the platform.

Now, for the fun of expanding it to a "what if" situation, I like the idea that the AR is modular. Some people would like to have a gun that have very little to go wrong with it, and I can see the wisdom in that. Hell, I have several old soviet warclubs that have been rocking and rolling along since WWII. However, I like that the AR is by design repairable should it need to be. For me, a handful of spare parts would probably keep the gun functioning for a good long time.

As for the cartridge itself, the 5.56 is just fine for my needs. Big enough for a man and could take a deer for food if need be. Might not be the best thing for bunnies and tree rats, but we are talking about a compromise here.

In short, yes, the AR would be my only rifle if I could pick only one.

Warp
August 28, 2013, 01:49 PM
If we're talking hypotheticals here, I'll take both a bolt action and a semi auto.

You only get one.

Pick.

mavracer
August 28, 2013, 02:06 PM
You only get one.
One can be both ;)
There are many shotguns that operate as a pump or SA.
1903 Springfield with Pederson device.
Ar15 with bolt upper.

Warp
August 28, 2013, 02:09 PM
One can be both ;)
There are many shotguns that operate as a pump or SA.
1903 Springfield with Pederson device.
Ar15 with bolt upper.

I'm pretty sure shotguns aren't not relevant to an "only rifle" question in Rifle Country.

For purposes of this poll it is considered a semi auto if it is capable of being fired in semi auto.

So, if it's both, please respond to the poll as semi.

mavracer
August 28, 2013, 02:11 PM
For purposes of this poll it is considered a semi auto if it is capable of being fired in semi auto.
At least we know the purpose of your poll now.

Warp
August 28, 2013, 04:42 PM
At least we know the purpose of your poll now.

Do you intend to vote, or at least add something constructive?

silicosys4
August 28, 2013, 04:45 PM
Do you intend to vote, or at least add something constructive?

Speaking of constructive....Do you intend to stop being confrontational with people who's stated preference or opinions differs from your own....after asking for preferences and opinions in your OP?
The more I read this thread and your inputs, the more it seems you are looking for a specific answer, and just picking fights when you don't get it, rather than being truly interested in the outcome of the poll.

Warp
August 28, 2013, 05:10 PM
Speaking of constructive....Do you intend to stop being confrontational with people who's stated preference or opinions differs from your own....after asking for preferences and opinions in your OP?
The more I read this thread and your inputs, the more it seems you are looking for a specific answer, and just picking fights when you don't get it, rather than being truly interested in the outcome of the poll.

I'm not sure what you are referring to...but anyway...

I'm looking for people to answer with what their answer would be.

And the reason a firearm capable of being fired in semi auto should be voted in as semi auto is because, legally, it's a semi auto, if I'm not mistaken. I mean, I could put a weak round (like a CCI snake shot or quiet round, or whatever) into just about any semi auto and operate it as a single shot or a hand-action (pump, whatever)...but I'd still consider that gun to be a semi auto. Likewise I would consider a convertible Benelli that can be fired semi auto or pump to be a semi auto, as an example.

And thank you for voting.

dcarch
August 29, 2013, 11:41 AM
I would sell my truck before I'd sell my converted Saiga. Love that gun to death.

savanahsdad
August 30, 2013, 09:50 PM
wow close race, I didn't see that one coming . I would have thought "other semi , primary hunting," would have been at the top,

M14, Win100, SKS, AK, Browning BAR, Ruger Carbine , Minnie 14, Ruger Deerfield, Rem1100 slugGun , Marlin Camp 45, ect , ect ,,,,,,

PabloJ
August 30, 2013, 10:03 PM
socom 16.

PabloJ
August 30, 2013, 10:31 PM
PS. I suppose it depends on use. If I was avid moose, bear, elk woods hunter Merkel semi-auto in 9,3x62 with electro-optical sight would be at top of my list.

Warp
August 30, 2013, 10:42 PM
PS. I suppose it depends on use. If I was avid moose, bear, elk woods hunter Merkel semi-auto in 9,3x62 with electro-optical sight would be at top of my list.
Of course it depends on use.

The idea is that you vote based on your uses/needs.

If you were avid at that, vote with what it would be. If you aren't, vote with whatever it is

Ignition Override
August 31, 2013, 12:24 AM
On the contrary. Life is too short to be less than very frank.
My only image of a gun with the strongest character is the M-1 Garand, The US battle rifle. How various guns appeal to other people makes no difference-none at all. We could die next week.

As a youngster (age 8) in '63, the only 'battle rifle' memories were Sgt. Saunders on "Combat" with Cage, Kirby, Little John, and guys in those 60's movies i.e. The Longest Day. Maybe the plots were mostly Hollywood, but this gun helped to forge history in the 20th century. My Dad never wanted a gun.

The gun besides the M-1 which appeals to me the most is the Enfield #4 series. Why? The unique features, and M-1As are too pricey when you factor their ammo prices with the cost of the gun ('08-'12).
At OTS ('78) and in the AFRES/ANG (early 80s) we were not even exposed to the AR/M-16, or any other rifle.

Old judge creek
August 31, 2013, 12:38 PM
I would choose a JM stamped Marlin (NOT one of the Remington junkers), or one of the currently made by Miruko 1892 Winchester pattern pistol caliber rifles, or my old pre-1964 Winchester 94 30-30s.

I would prefer it to be in 44 magnum caliber or 357 magnum caliber because with today's components I can easily handload those rounds to near duplicate 30-30 ballistics.

My choices come from hands on experience with the rifles I've chosen.

My old 30-30's are now safe queens - but they'd do... and do well at that.

CornCod
August 31, 2013, 12:44 PM
While an AR would be a good choice as an "only rifle", my late middle-aged eyes really hate peep sights so I guess an AK pattern rifle in 7.62X39mm would be my only rifle. The AK may not be the best rifle in the world, but it has the fewest vices.

SlamFire1
August 31, 2013, 12:50 PM
For as long as I can see irons, it will be this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/M1a%20and%20Garand%20Receiver%20Pictures/Selectorswitchsidefulllength.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/SlamFire/media/M1a%20and%20Garand%20Receiver%20Pictures/Selectorswitchsidefulllength.jpg.html)

For the days when I cannot, it will be a M70 similar to this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/M70%20pics/DSCN2145M70257Roberts_zpsc93bde44.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/SlamFire/media/M70%20pics/DSCN2145M70257Roberts_zpsc93bde44.jpg.html)

Goju
August 31, 2013, 12:55 PM
If I could only keep one of my rifles, it would be my AR in 6.5 Grendel. Capable cartridge for intermediate target shooting (up to 1000 yds), it is a supreme whitetail ( and pig) round, and would be very capable as a SD tool. Yes, you can have your cake, and eat it too.

Ratshooter
August 31, 2013, 02:03 PM
I would prefer one of my 30-30s over any AR type rifle if limited to just one gun. I would pick the Marlin handsdown. But the old winchester would be a close second.

This with my winchester pump 12 and I would be well armed for all the hunting I do. Plus both will be good SD guns.

Murphy4570
August 31, 2013, 03:42 PM
Only one? For everything?

My M1917 or one of my Mosin-Nagants. Bolt action battle rifle. Can be used for damn near everything, except for varmint hunting.

BK
August 31, 2013, 03:48 PM
Can't vote.

My option would be, AR15 (primary use = being the only gun for everything [hunting, defense, plinking, etc])

kgpcr
August 31, 2013, 04:18 PM
I am glad I have more than 1 :)

Warp
August 31, 2013, 10:32 PM
Can't vote.

My option would be, AR15 (primary use = being the only gun for everything [hunting, defense, plinking, etc])

Vote AR15, primary use hunting

Sheepdog1968
August 31, 2013, 10:59 PM
If I could only have one, it would most likely be a 30-30 lever action. I just like them. I would miss having a lever action more than any kind of rifle.

CallmeGray
September 1, 2013, 02:53 AM
ar for everything, there is nothing in NA that an AR can't kill, and if you cant kill it with the first round, well use the other 29.

76shuvlinoff
September 1, 2013, 06:52 AM
I deeply love all my wood and blue levers but if it's only going to be one it's the AR for accuracy, handling ease, recoil, range, follow-up recovery, capacity, durability.

jim in Anchorage
September 1, 2013, 07:29 AM
[QUOTE]ar for everything, there is nothing in NA that an AR can't kill, and if you cant kill it with the first round, well use the other 29.
[/QUOTE
Well I guess I know who I'm not inviting up to Alaska for brown bear or moose hunting.

Armor Snail
September 1, 2013, 08:26 AM
.357 lever action.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Warp
September 1, 2013, 08:28 AM
.357 lever action.

Would you mind voting as such, please?

Armor Snail
September 1, 2013, 08:46 AM
Sure. Didn't know it was a poll. This is all I see on my app.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/01/pemaje9a.jpg

Have to view in browser to vote

mtrmn
September 1, 2013, 09:32 AM
ar for everything, there is nothing in NA that an AR can't kill, and if you cant kill it with the first round, well use the other 29.
I mostly agree with this.
IF it ever came down to ME having only 1 gun it would have to be under duress from one of those "unmentionable" situations. Not only would you be hunting, you may be hunted as well.
Brown bears etc would HAVE to be dealt with by whatever means you have in hand. You would be hunting to eat, not sportsmanship. Given a choice between bear and deer-types I'd leave the bear alone anyway unless under attack by said bear.
If I could have an AR10 then I agree it would be much better all-around caliberwise than the AR15 other than weight.

jim in Anchorage
September 1, 2013, 11:59 AM
Will some of you guys accept the fact you're not in the military and in a war zone? A AR as your only rifle? Guess I will keep my bolt 30-06. Can't play GI Joe, but it doses the trick.

Warp
September 1, 2013, 12:06 PM
Will some of you guys accept the fact you're not in the military and in a war zone? A AR as your only rifle? Guess I will keep my bolt 30-06. Can't play GI Joe, but it doses the trick.

There is no need to personally insult other people because they choose differently.

I don't want this thread closed for going down that (low) road.

fragout
September 1, 2013, 12:55 PM
I voted "other" semiautomatic rifle on the poll, as I do not have a use for an AR of any caliber at the prices that they are asking for them now. ( Sold off the AR's I had regardless) I already have used mine for hunting ( pigs, coyotes, deer, bear, and elk)..... so it has been tested rather well for that area, even though the primary purpose for this rifle would be security.

As for the "multiple uppers" idea, I would rather have 2 complete rifles instead. (While the concept may look good on paper, I did not find it feasible or practical as compared to the "spare" rifle idea.

Half of one rifle would be useless if the one and only lower receiver were to go to crap.

Spare lower parts might do the trick, but then again, a "spare" rifle would as well.

If one = none, then 1 and 1 half would still = none...... since a fleet of extra uppers would still rely on the one lower in order to have one working rifle.

All of those extra uppers would take up more space, and weigh more than a complete spare rifle too boot.

Multiple calibers that use the same AR magazine is another concept that looks good from a logistical standpoint, but not so good from a practical standpoint IMO.

The KISS principle can get chewed up and spit out quickly if a body happens to have his loadout of mags topped off with 5.56mm, but only has his 300BO upper ready to rock at the time.
Using Magpull mags for one caliber and GI mags for another might alleviate possible mistakes in the dark, but starts to tear up the logistics behind the idea at this point.

The spare rifle idea uses the same parts and magazines, along with the same caliber of ammunition.

Too each his own however. Food for thought at the very least.

Warp
September 1, 2013, 01:09 PM
I voted "other" semiautomatic rifle on the poll, as I do not have a use for an AR of any caliber at the prices that they are asking for them now. ( Sold off the AR's I had regardless) I already have used mine for hunting ( pigs, coyotes, deer, bear, and elk)..... so it has been tested rather well for that area, even though the primary purpose for this rifle would be security.

As for the "multiple uppers" idea, I would rather have 2 complete rifles instead. (While the concept may look good on paper, I did not find it feasible or practical as compared to the "spare" rifle idea.

Half of one rifle would be useless if the one and only lower receiver were to go to crap.

Spare lower parts might do the trick, but then again, a "spare" rifle would as well.

If one = none, then 1 and 1 half would still = none...... since a fleet of extra uppers would still rely on the one lower in order to have one working rifle.

All of those extra uppers would take up more space, and weigh more than a complete spare rifle too boot.

Multiple calibers that use the same AR magazine is another concept that looks good from a logistical standpoint, but not so good from a practical standpoint IMO.

The KISS principle can get chewed up and spit out quickly if a body happens to have his loadout of mags topped off with 5.56mm, but only has his 300BO upper ready to rock at the time.
Using Magpull mags for one caliber and GI mags for another might alleviate possible mistakes in the dark, but starts to tear up the logistics behind the idea at this point.

The spare rifle idea uses the same parts and magazines, along with the same caliber of ammunition.

Too each his own however. Food for thought at the very least.

Have you looked around recently? AR prices are back to being as low as, if not lower than, they were a year ago. Rock bottom (serious).

fragout
September 1, 2013, 01:26 PM
AR's have been overpriced for well over a decade now.

( Not so serious)....lol

It's your money however. Spend it on what floats yer boat

Walkalong
September 1, 2013, 01:39 PM
Yep, and you have to keep .308 segregated from .270 for bolt guns just like you have to keep different AR caliber rounds segregated. Organizational skills are needed universally unless you keep only one caliber weapon.

The AR is an awfully versatile rifle, and is certainly one to be considered for an "only" rifle.

I could be happy with my Sako .308 bolt gun if I could have only one, but I could be happy with an AR for my only gun.

I could use a caliber adapter to shoot small game with my .308, or an extra upper for an AR.

Is the question only one rifle, period, no extra uppers etc? Where do the extras stop, whether it's an AR or something else?

fragout
September 1, 2013, 02:33 PM
A much easier task in the dark, since 270Winchester is a necked down 30-06......compared to 308 Winchester.

No way that 270 Win is gonna fit inside an M14,FAL, or G3 mag.

Much easier to confuse multiple calibers of similar size, and that are designed to be used in the same magazine.

One caliber system with virtual duplicate rifles makes for less of a footprint needed.

Tried the caliber insert thru my M14S, but it didn't achieve the accuracy I wanted.

Of course, traps work 24/7 for small game and fish.;) No need wasting time, money, weight, and space on small game for me at least.

270 at left. 308 at right in pic below.

Goju
September 1, 2013, 04:10 PM
With all due respect, some shooters prefer autoloaders, and the AR platform offers a nice compact platform when you are humping your gear back in the woods. For many years I hunted with my BAR in 30.06....I'm sure you'll agree that doesnt peg the "tacticool" meter. But for me, the platform was to heavy, barrel needlessly long, in a caliber that was overkill for the game intended. So I transitioned to the AR in a hunting caliber, with the following benefits : much more compact which is great when humping stuff thru the woods and up and down trees, I dont have to worry about scratching fancy bluing or high lustre walnut stocks, and I can wrench on 80% of the thing and be my own 'smith if needed.
Believe it or not, every AR does not include 3 feet of picatinny rails, a tactical light, vertical foregrip, and a 30 round mag.

Never been in the military, and dont know anything about that career choice (but thanks to those that have served). I am much to old to be a mall ninja, but smart enough to know a valuable tool when I find one.

sixgunner455
September 1, 2013, 11:37 PM
Will some of you guys accept the fact you're not in the military and in a war zone? A AR as your only rifle?

Some of us are/were in the military, thank you very much, and survived war zones so that all of us could be here debating what rifle we'd have for our onliest one.

Having carried an M16 in a couple of those places, whenever I think about "My Rifle", I think about an M16 or an AR. If I need a rifle for home defense, I want my AR carbine. If I want to go plinking with centerfire ammo, I want my AR. If I want to stick a rifle under the backseat of my truck, my AR carbine fits just fine. I have a 5.56 upper and a 6.8 upper. If I want to hunt, I can use my AR. But that is where I start to look at my bolt actions and think, man, I like to use those, too. And they sure don't beat up my brass like the semi does.

If I was really, truly, and definitively only going to have one rifle ever again, and could pick it for myself, it would have to be an AR. I can build one from parts, and repair one without help. Of course, I can rebarrel a Savage bolt action, too ... And a drilling as a dedicated universal hunting arm makes tons of sense, especially if a guy can have a pistol or short pump shotgun for HD.

I don't think there's one true universal answer. But I really like my AR, I'm confident in it for lots of different things, and I'd be really ticked off if I had to give it up.

Armor Snail
September 1, 2013, 11:45 PM
I love my AR but chose a .357 lever for two reasons. First is because it offers two caliber choices with massive choices of loadings.

Secondly is the lack of a detachable mag. If I can have only one I want it simple.
Especially in a SHTF type situation. Solar flares anyone, not zombies. I'm a realist.

Although if an AR had a 30 rd tube mag Lol.

Wait, can I cheat this? How about a BRNO .270/12 gauge combo?

shadow9
September 2, 2013, 11:55 AM
Bolt action 308, Rem 700 Stainless/Synth -

Realistically, I find a 308 would do most of the work of a .30-06 just fine...and the R700 has parts galore, works reliably everywhere, and the S/S setup would also be much more resistant to weather anywhere. You can load the .308 to potent or puffy levels, and put anything .308 sized into its mouth, as long as it's under 200 (220?)grs.

Legionnaire
September 2, 2013, 03:14 PM
No doubt in my mind. If I could only have one rifle, it would be a bolt action ... most likely a .30-06 or .308. I'd have to work up some loads using Trail Boss for plinking, but I'd want something optimized for big game hunting.

Casefull
September 2, 2013, 03:41 PM
Will some of you guys accept the fact you're not in the military and in a war zone? A AR as your only rifle? Guess I will keep my bolt 30-06. Can't play GI Joe, but it doses the trick
I do not see the ops comment as insulting to anyone but I think how you see yourself using a rifle has a lot to do with selecting one rifle. I have lots of ar's and would want one for some situations but the 308 bolt gun would be my choice if I could only have one.

DM~
September 2, 2013, 05:30 PM
i do not see the ops comment as insulting to anyone but i think how you see yourself using a rifle has a lot to do with selecting one rifle.

+1

dm

ugaarguy
September 2, 2013, 10:14 PM
A 30-06? That's a war cartridge developed for a war rifle, the 1903 Springfield. Will you accept the fact that you're not in the military and not in a war zone? A 30-06 bolt action as your only rifle? Guess I'll keep my 50 cal muzzle loader. I can't play wannabe sniper with it, but it'll harvest game. :rolleyes:

yzguy87
September 2, 2013, 11:37 PM
Yes in 308 or maybe if I had lots of $$$ I'd have the bn30-06 by Noreen! But realistically in 308!

fireside44
September 2, 2013, 11:49 PM
Will some of you guys accept the fact you're not in the military and in a war zone? A AR as your only rifle? Guess I will keep my bolt 30-06. Can't play GI Joe

You already are playing GI Joe though. 30-06 is a military cartridge and a bolt gun was commonly used in warfare prior to Vietnam. Still is in some places.

You should've said 7mm mag.:neener:

taliv
September 3, 2013, 05:24 AM
i don't get the bolt action preferences above.

in my experience (directing and participating in over 30 sniper/field matches in the past 30 months where 90%+ of competitors used bolt guns and formerly directing 3gun matches where 99% used semi) I would say under pressure people have more malfunctions with bolt guns than they do with autoloaders. i know people will find that hard to believe, but despite their simplicity, they still break a lot, and there are user-induced feed malfunctions pretty much constantly.

reliability aside, ARs are generally about as accurate and hold more ammo. they can be lighter weight too.

so why, if you could only have one, would you choose a bolt?

(don't get me wrong, i love shooting long range with my bolt guns)

sixgunner455
September 3, 2013, 01:04 PM
taliv, if I were going to pick a bolt, it would be for several reasons: they don't tend to beat up brass as much, so it will last longer; I've found it easier to make accurate loads for them; I like the way they feel and balance as hunting weapons; amount of accuracy per dollar spent seems to favor them.

But I voted AR, because of familiarity and capabilities they have that would be difficult to duplicate with a turnbolt.

Bobson
September 3, 2013, 03:21 PM
[facts and experience here]

I voted Bolt action (hunting as primary use), because I assumed (as many others did, and many others clearly did not) that if I were to pick an AR15, that it would be "cheating" (in regards to the poll) to have one lower, and two or four uppers. The OP didn't make that clear (Edit: yes, he did), and while having four different uppers isn't the same as having four completely different rifles, it's effectively the same end result.

It takes just a few seconds to swap an upper, and if each upper has a dedicated optic, it would be both physically easier and more practical to carry one AR15 lower and 2-3 uppers, than it would to carry 2-3 different bolt-action rifles. Because of all that, it didn't seem fair to vote for an AR15 and pretend I had multiple uppers. I cemented myself to the "one rifle" concept, literally and in essence. An AR15 in 5.56 just wouldn't cut it, for me. An AR lower and two uppers (5.56 and, say, 6.8 SPC) absolutely would.

Also, the truth is I have absolutely nowhere near your level of experience with rifles, and while I've used both bolt actions and the M16A2 (USAF) enough to feel very comfortable with both, I never would have guessed that this is true:

people have more malfunctions with bolt guns than they do with autoloaders. i know people will find that hard to believe, but despite their simplicity, they still break a lot, and there are user-induced feed malfunctions pretty much constantly.
And either way, it certainly isn't true for me. But you do make an excellent point, and if I had your experience, I may well have voted for an AR15. Even if I hadn't, I definitely would have had a tougher time choosing.

ETA:

Obviously, I didn't read the OP, where Warp clearly said multiple uppers would be allowed.

Warp
September 3, 2013, 03:25 PM
I assumed (as many others did, and many others clearly did not) that if I were to pick an AR15, that it would be "cheating" (in regards to the poll) to have one lower, and two or four uppers. The OP didn't make that clear, and while having four different uppers isn't the same as having four completely different rifles, it's effectively the same end result.

Did you read the OP?

We'll see that, for purposes of this poll/thread/discussion, you could have an alternate upper allowing for a couple of different cartridges. (a .22lr bolt in a 5.56 upper would not count towards the two cartridges). That would still count as one rifle (and if you would select a non AR, you could do the same, if applicable to that rifle)

Having an alternate upper allowing for a couple of different cartridges = having two uppers. That's what an alternate upper is...a second upper.

Bobson
September 3, 2013, 03:26 PM
Did you read the OP?
You've cracked the case, Holmes. No, I just skimmed it quickly and didn't see that part. My bad.

Warp
September 3, 2013, 03:36 PM
You've cracked the case, Holmes. No, I just skimmed it quickly and didn't see that part. My bad.

It's frustrating, as a thread starter/OP/creator of the poll, when people say they voted based on an inaccurate assumption, and claim that the OP did not make something clear...because they didn't even read the OP before both voting and posting.

Bobson
September 3, 2013, 03:42 PM
It's frustrating, as a thread starter/OP/creator of the poll, when people say they voted based on an inaccurate assumption, and claim that the OP did not make something clear...because they didn't even read the OP before both voting and posting.
I understand, and you're absolutely right. I apologize for not taking the time to read the whole thing clearly.

However, after reading the posts on the last several pages, it's perfectly clear there were others who also assumed multiple uppers weren't fair game, or at least were unsure.

I could live with the AR as my only rifle. .223 isn't my favorite deer/pig round, but it'll work.Obviously this guy feels like he's limited to one upper.
It would be an AR in 5.56 for me.Same here.
I could easily get by with just an AR in 5.56.
. . .
As for the cartridge itself, the 5.56 is just fine for my needs. Big enough for a man and could take a deer for food if need be. Might not be the best thing for bunnies and tree rats, but we are talking about a compromise here.Clearly the same.
Is the question only one rifle, period, no extra uppers etc? Where do the extras stop, whether it's an AR or something else?And here's Walkalong literally asking for clarification.

I'm not just trying to bring light to the fact that I wasn't the only one who didn't follow the directions, but also that if these four folks were unclear and still selected the AR15 (the first three definitely did), then it's likely many who voted for bolt guns also assumed multiple uppers were off limits, as I did.

Persuader12
September 3, 2013, 05:29 PM
Have you looked around recently? AR prices are back to being as low as, if not lower than, they were a year ago. Rock bottom (serious).

I've been hearing this quite a bit lately, but when I look at the prices, I only see that they've gone back down to pre-panic levels, but not any lower than that. A DPMS Sporticle at Walmart was $617 prepanic. I believe it is now $629. Not much of an increase, but NOT a decrease.

Warp
September 3, 2013, 05:37 PM
I understand, and you're absolutely right. I apologize for not taking the time to read the whole thing clearly.

However, after reading the posts on the last several pages, it's perfectly clear there were others who also assumed multiple uppers weren't fair game, or at least were unsure.

A pattern of people voting and posting without even reading the ~1 paragraph long OP is no less frustrating.

Is it really too much to ask that people read a handful of sentences in the OP before voting and responding?

Warp
September 3, 2013, 05:38 PM
I've been hearing this quite a bit lately, but when I look at the prices, I only see that they've gone back down to pre-panic levels, but not any lower than that. A DPMS Sporticle at Walmart was $617 prepanic. I believe it is now $629. Not much of an increase, but NOT a decrease.

Well, hopefully you wouldn't buy a DPMS then or now.

Perhaps they are the same as they were a year ago.

Jaxondog
September 3, 2013, 05:45 PM
It has to be a Lever gun, whether it's a big bore 45-70 or 357 mag trapper.

pwrtool45
September 3, 2013, 06:21 PM
i don't get the bolt action preferences above.

in my experience (directing and participating in over 30 sniper/field matches in the past 30 months where 90%+ of competitors used bolt guns and formerly directing 3gun matches where 99% used semi) I would say under pressure people have more malfunctions with bolt guns than they do with autoloaders. i know people will find that hard to believe, but despite their simplicity, they still break a lot, and there are user-induced feed malfunctions pretty much constantly.

reliability aside, ARs are generally about as accurate and hold more ammo. they can be lighter weight too.

(don't get me wrong, i love shooting long range with my bolt guns)

Funny. My very first 3-gun match was absolutely eye-opening in a similar way.

All of the crappy tier-3 AR-15s? Worked. Not a single stoppage of any kind. Not weapon-related. Not ammunition-related. Not shooter-related. No excuses. Every single rifle, no matter how bargain-basement, worked.

The shotguns? Wow. All of them for-really-reals Remington 870s. Just about all of them had some sort of problem. We all had excuses. Crappy wal-mart winchester shells with zinc (or whatever) case heads. Short stroking. "Oh I never tested that magazine extension". Whatever. It was a parade of absolute failures.

Hell of an introduction to the sport. I've since seen quality shotguns run and crap-build ARs tear rims off stuck cases while their owners struggle for minutes (sometimes on the clock, earning a mercy limited max time) to get their rifle working again. But manually operated anything (bolt, lever, pump) takes more dedication than the above-average guy reading this post and nodding his head has put in.

I do like my levers, but it's hard to ignore experience.

Persuader12
September 3, 2013, 07:24 PM
"Well, hopefully you wouldn't buy a DPMS then or now.

Perhaps they are the same as they were a year ago."

No, I haven't. I've been reading too many threads where too much bad is said about them. I actually still haven't bought an AR yet, but continue to want to. Someday......

jrdolall
September 3, 2013, 08:56 PM
"Well, hopefully you wouldn't buy a DPMS then or now.

Perhaps they are the same as they were a year ago."

No, I haven't. I've been reading too many threads where too much bad is said about them. I actually still haven't bought an AR yet, but continue to want to. Someday......

I own a DPMS Sportical though I didn't buy it a Walmart and it was less than $600 a couple of years ago. It is a low end AR not as "tight" as the Colt or the Diamondback. It shoots everything I feed it and I don't recall any time that it failed to go bang. I do have some issues with a fully loaded magazine and not wanting to feed that first round but, other than that, it is flawless. Probably close to 3k rounds through it now. All of the hype against DPMS must have been for a line of guns manufactured at a different time from mine. I recently scoped it and sighted it in at 200 yards with some Winchester 64 grain bullets and it was dead on. I am considering shooting some deer with it this year.

Walkalong
September 3, 2013, 09:11 PM
Yep, after 5 pages I forgot extra uppers were OK and did not re-read the original post. My bad.

That does stack the deck in the ARs favor though.

I guess caliber adapters for bolt guns would be fair game as well.

But, if I can only have one gun, and an AR lower, with a .22 upper, a .223 upper, a 300 BLK upper, a 6.8 SPC, and a .458 Socom upper counts as one gun, I think the answer is pretty obvious.

Bobson
September 3, 2013, 09:14 PM
Yes, sir.

taliv
September 3, 2013, 09:17 PM
sixgunner and bobson, yeah those are all valid points. thanks. i was just curious.

Warp
September 3, 2013, 10:34 PM
Yep, after 5 pages I forgot extra uppers were OK and did not re-read the original post. My bad.

That does stack the deck in the ARs favor though.

But, if I can only have one gun, and an AR lower, with a .22 upper, a .223 upper, a 300 BLK upper, a 6.8 SPC, and a .458 Socom upper counts as one gun, I think the answer is pretty obvious.

Yes, fair game for sure.

Just not something I know much about and not something people tend to ask about.

But 'allowed' for the poll. ;)

hatwerinrednek
September 3, 2013, 11:15 PM
id have to say bolt, i like semi auto`s or any gun for that matter but imo a bolt gun is more reliable with less moving parts. however an ar can easily have parts interchanged /not so easy on a bolt. personally i would have a stainless syn small caliber rife with a good scope with the gun quipped with iron sights in case the scope fails. as far as caliber ,i would stick with a well known military cartridge . that being said , i recently bought a ruger mini chambered in a 223/5.56 for my shtf gun but i also have a bolt gun in the same caliber . if it came down to it and i had to ditch one of them i would ditch the auto. but thats my opinion.

jim in Anchorage
September 4, 2013, 04:20 AM
I didn't expect to ruffle so many feathers. I was only going off the "your" in the thread title. My primary hunting is moose, brown bear and sheep. No a AR would not work for me.
Plinking? I shoot 1000's of cast bullets a year in my bolt 30-06's, at pennies a shot.
BTW the 30-06 was not a active military round in my lifetime, so that was not why I picked it. I admit I am a traditionalist in gun's and the reason I use the round is it's the most common chambering in the classic guns I own/buy. I just can't see a piece of plastic and aluminum replacing my pre war Winchester 70's.

chicharrones
September 4, 2013, 08:40 AM

I was thinking along those lines for a .308 bolt gun, but it would be slow loading if firing more than one shot and the sights on the barrel might not be set for what's in the chamber adapter.

Still, it seems like something worth throwing in a bag to take along for really short range low powered shooting.

The changeable upper on an AR is superior to the chamber adapter, but the AR upper would require a larger bag. :D

mavracer
September 4, 2013, 09:42 AM
Of course I'm quite sure in this hypothetical world where people are allowed one reciever interchangable barrels and bolts would become common place.
I was thinking along those lines for a .308 bolt gun, but it would be slow loading if firing more than one shot and the sights on the barrel might not be set for what's in the chamber adapter.
One thing these threads do is bring out the "necessaty is the mother of invention" thoughts.
no reason you couldn't have more than one chamber adapter or just load said 308 with trail boss and 30 carbine bullets. As for sights toss a scope with target knobs on it and just dial scope to desired ammo.
One nice thing a bolt or lever would work a lot better with sub powered ammo than an AR would.
A 35 rem or 45/70 lever would make for a versatile "only one" since you can shoot 410s out of a 45/70 and 357 pistol bullets can easily be loaded into 35 rem brass. A 130gr 38 special @ 1000 fps is real effective for small game without being distructive.

Walkalong
September 4, 2013, 02:10 PM
A 35 rem or 45/70 lever would make for a versatile "only one" since you can shoot 410s out of a 45/70 and 357 pistol bullets can easily be loaded into 35 rem brass.I do that now with .35 Remington.

Snowblind
September 4, 2013, 05:58 PM
I'd have to go with a M14/M1A. The Garand-style action seems to be nigh-indestructible, those guns are all ultra-accurate, you've got the hard-hitting .308 cartridge, and if you go with a shorter model like the SOCOM it's still pretty quick-pointing closer in. Sounds like kind of the ultimate "one gun" to me.

I might cross some fans here, but I've never cared for the AR platform. It is extremely accurate, but between the placement of controls, light caliber (though there are versions in larger calibers), and the complex buffer system, I'd never consider it for a "one gun" scenario. I am in no way saying it's a bad gun, I just don't like the set up and would strongly prefer something else.

amprecon
September 4, 2013, 06:01 PM
I have a Rock River A-4 Mid-Length in 6.8spc with an ARP barrel, I could get rid of the rest and happily rely on this as my one and only for everything.

Snowblind
September 4, 2013, 06:06 PM
If I could only own 1 gun, it would be a German K98 with a pile of ammo. There is literally nothing you cannot do with it (that guns are used for) and it will work in the worst environments on this planet. Need to hunt small game such as squirrels? Make traps.
If I were going with a bolt gun, the K98 would be it. Pop has one passed down from his pop that's still got all the Nazi proof marks on it, stamped "1938." It functions flawlessly. It's laser-accurate and would probably shoot out to 500 or even 1000 yards no problem if we set it up right. (The original ironsights it had were incremented to 2000 meters.)

However, it was rough. The steel-backed stock was merciless under the recoil of the 8mm mauser, so it was not fun to play with and I stopped asking to borrow it xD.

PhotoBiker
September 4, 2013, 06:45 PM
Uncle Sam lent me an AR many years ago. I got that out of my system.

Bolt action for me (though I'd keep my BLR in .308 for hunting as well).

BK
September 14, 2013, 10:00 PM
- under pressure people have more malfunctions with bolt guns than they do with autoloaders.
+1
This is why I prefer semis to pump shotguns for everything shotgun (hunting, defense, clays). Handguns too. Almost all of my guns are semi auto these days.

boricua9mm
September 14, 2013, 11:20 PM
After many years of owning lots of firearms of different flavors, then fine-tuning my interests to military pattern guns, the main factors in play are...

1) Commonality- Parts, mags, gear, support...when considering the ubiquity of 5.56/.223 in Military, Law Enforcement and Civilian arenas, one would be silly not to consider an AR15 from this standpoint alone. If the answer to this question was something else, then it would drastically change the rest of the considerations below.

2) Sustainability- Due to the aforementioned commonality, the long term sustainability of any gun should be a strong consideration. Here in the USA, if we assume the 5.56/.223 caliber as being the most common rifle caliber, then the AR15 follows as the most common rifle/carbine from which to launch it. You want to be able to have a chance at being able to easily replace any parts when the need arises.

3) Reliability- Assuming the previously mentioned AR15, it's there. Having been shooting since before these forums came about, I can tell you that there is overwhelming evidence that beat-up or homemade (Bubba) AR15s account for the vast majority of reliability complaints. Lots of other firearms are very reliable, but they fall short of the commonality and sustainability needs as previously mentioned.

4) Accuracy- In the case of the 5.56/.223 semi-autos, the AR has earned it reputation for accuracy. The real world results of shooters presenting real data are quite revealing. When a higher degree of accuracy is needed, there exists an array of components to meet/exceed that need. Not much more needs to be said in that regard.

5) Modularity- If you're gonna have one gun, it should be customizable to your liking. Aside from the typical THR haters, most everyone can make an AR into something that appeals to their needs or aesthetic sensibilities. Unless of course they simply hate anything with a pistol grip and removable mag. We've come to call them Fudds.

6) Weight- If you're gonna have one long gun for everything, then weight needs to be a consideration for any able-bodied shooter. For many years I've seen people lambast others for making weight considerations. More often than not, these are the people who only carry their gun from the car to the firing line. How many of them can even jog a mile? We're talking one rifle for everything, right? Things that make you go hmmmm.

I've noticed that most people who would thump their chest and vehemently dismiss the AR haven't run a properly built gun, with proper lubrication, through its paces to even attempt to get an objective baseline. Let's just say there's a good reason why nothing else has displaced it for general issue.

tommy.duncan
September 15, 2013, 08:42 PM
I would go with my M1A. It's dead on balls accurate (that's a technical term).

justice06rr
September 18, 2013, 10:31 PM
Bumping this thread just a little, but I'd gladly have a good 308AR for my only rifle. But it would have to be from KAC or LMT.

Semiauto, large capacity, good accuracy, and intermediate caliber. I don't think you can go wrong with an AR10, even for hunting. If Military snipers use it, why can't you use the same for hunting?

Triplanetary
September 19, 2013, 11:26 AM
For me, it would be a Swiss K31.
I like it and I am comfortable around it. Not the most practical, but if only one, conditions not implied.
Honorable mention:
Ernst Stiegleder Guild Sporting Mauser
Swedish 1896 Mauser
Schmidt Rubin 1911

fpgt72
September 19, 2013, 11:44 AM
After many years of owning lots of firearms of different flavors, then fine-tuning my interests to military pattern guns, the main factors in play are...

1) Commonality- Parts, mags, gear, support...when considering the ubiquity of 5.56/.223 in Military, Law Enforcement and Civilian arenas, one would be silly not to consider an AR15 from this standpoint alone. If the answer to this question was something else, then it would drastically change the rest of the considerations below.

2) Sustainability- Due to the aforementioned commonality, the long term sustainability of any gun should be a strong consideration. Here in the USA, if we assume the 5.56/.223 caliber as being the most common rifle caliber, then the AR15 follows as the most common rifle/carbine from which to launch it. You want to be able to have a chance at being able to easily replace any parts when the need arises.

3) Reliability- Assuming the previously mentioned AR15, it's there. Having been shooting since before these forums came about, I can tell you that there is overwhelming evidence that beat-up or homemade (Bubba) AR15s account for the vast majority of reliability complaints. Lots of other firearms are very reliable, but they fall short of the commonality and sustainability needs as previously mentioned.

4) Accuracy- In the case of the 5.56/.223 semi-autos, the AR has earned it reputation for accuracy. The real world results of shooters presenting real data are quite revealing. When a higher degree of accuracy is needed, there exists an array of components to meet/exceed that need. Not much more needs to be said in that regard.

5) Modularity- If you're gonna have one gun, it should be customizable to your liking. Aside from the typical THR haters, most everyone can make an AR into something that appeals to their needs or aesthetic sensibilities. Unless of course they simply hate anything with a pistol grip and removable mag. We've come to call them Fudds.

6) Weight- If you're gonna have one long gun for everything, then weight needs to be a consideration for any able-bodied shooter. For many years I've seen people lambast others for making weight considerations. More often than not, these are the people who only carry their gun from the car to the firing line. How many of them can even jog a mile? We're talking one rifle for everything, right? Things that make you go hmmmm.

I've noticed that most people who would thump their chest and vehemently dismiss the AR haven't run a properly built gun, with proper lubrication, through its paces to even attempt to get an objective baseline. Let's just say there's a good reason why nothing else has displaced it for general issue.
For the same reasons you site it would have to be an AR, or something along those lines. The AR is not a rifle in my personal top 10, but if the zombies come it would be the one I would take for all the reasons you say. For the hand gun it would be a 92FS or a 1911 of some kind...same reasons.

el Godfather
September 20, 2013, 06:16 PM
If only ONE rifle for the rest of the time then a G3 would do for me.

mr.trooper
September 20, 2013, 06:46 PM
No way would any kind of Military rifle be my only rifle - all you guys will eat up the ammo at the drop of a hat every time a politician goes "bump".

Make my rifle some kind of .270 hunting rifle. You guys never managed to get to the stocks of that in either of the last 3 or 4 panics.

Give me a Remington 7600 carbine, or a Browning BLR 81 - No, the mag caps aren't very high, but they offer 4 fast follow up shots with a very potent and multi-capable cartridge that wont dissapear at the drop of a hat.

sanman513
September 20, 2013, 06:50 PM
Quality ak from arsenal! Will always go bang!!:beer::D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

kimberkid
September 20, 2013, 08:56 PM
While my favorites are my SiG-55x's, I voted AR because of multiple uppers ... and while the .223/5.56 is my favorite cartridge, one calibur can't be all things or fit all purposes

Warp
September 21, 2013, 08:26 PM
No way would any kind of Military rifle be my only rifle - all you guys will eat up the ammo at the drop of a hat every time a politician goes "bump".

Make my rifle some kind of .270 hunting rifle. You guys never managed to get to the stocks of that in either of the last 3 or 4 panics.

Give me a Remington 7600 carbine, or a Browning BLR 81 - No, the mag caps aren't very high, but they offer 4 fast follow up shots with a very potent and multi-capable cartridge that wont dissapear at the drop of a hat.

Would you mind telling us what, quantitatively, differentiates a "military rifle" from a "hunting rifle"?

Keep in mind we are talking generally-legal, non-NFA firearms that are available on the commercial market to regular-Joe private citizens.

Also, if you don't mind answering (don't blame you if you don't...), how many rounds of .270 do you currently possess?

If you enjoyed reading about "Would an AR be your only rifle? (what rifle type would an only rifle be?)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!