First attempt at gripmaking

PDA

Rojelio
August 24, 2013, 04:29 PM
I wanted some lighter colored grips for my Pietta Remington navy so I decided to try and make some.

I made a few mistakes along the way, but, I guess that's how you learn.

I think they turned out ok for a first attempt.

Any guesses as to what wood that is. It's very dense and tight grained.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb280/rojelio0/IMAG0288_zpsa1b4f51a.jpg (http://s205.photobucket.com/user/rojelio0/media/IMAG0288_zpsa1b4f51a.jpg.html)

If you enjoyed reading about "First attempt at gripmaking" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
9mmfan
August 24, 2013, 04:46 PM
Those are very nice. I wouldn't even know where to begin on such a project, though I would like to learn some day.

Can't help with the wood type, but I do like the blonde hue.

swathdiver
August 24, 2013, 05:24 PM
Nice job! Way better and nicer than my first attempt, they didn't even fit! LOL

Red Maple or Oak? What kind of hardwood do you have in South Texas?

Rojelio
August 24, 2013, 05:50 PM
Red Maple or Oak?

Nope. We do have quite a few hardwoods down here like live oak and mesquite. I do have some mesquite burl drying in my garage for future use.

toolslinger
August 24, 2013, 06:02 PM
Those are right nifty sir. Looks like oak or maple.
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh50/sotoolslinger/slinger/IMG_6460_zps6922464c.jpg (http://s253.photobucket.com/user/sotoolslinger/media/slinger/IMG_6460_zps6922464c.jpg.html)
I also like blonde grips.

OptimusPrime
August 24, 2013, 06:06 PM
They look great, first time or not.
I was going to guess mesquite but you already answered that one.
So, how about cherry?

Rojelio
August 24, 2013, 06:14 PM
I also like blonde grips

Yep, especially on a stainless gun. Mine is not stainless, the previous owner took all the finish off so I just keep it polished up.

The wood is persimmon. We have a lot of it around here. It's a very tough wood. You can't hardly break it. Old timers around here used to make walking sticks out of the smaller branches. The trunks never get larger than about 1 ft. in diameter.

toolslinger
August 24, 2013, 07:00 PM
Nice. I also live in TX. PM me with your address and I'll send you some Red Oak and I think I might have some Cherry

kituwa
August 24, 2013, 07:34 PM
Do a search on the web for knife makers supplies. Like shefield knife makers,,Texas knife makers supply, and Jantz knife makers supplies. They have some exotic woods and ivory replacements and micarta that will make some fine grips.

BowerR64
August 24, 2013, 10:00 PM
Ide like to have a fat extended grip on one of mine also. Like the grip on my 357mag thats my favorite revolver grip.

It would ruin its look though im sure.

swathdiver
August 25, 2013, 03:15 AM
You can get a brass dragoon grip for an ROA, the old ones came with them.

BCRider
August 25, 2013, 10:38 PM
Rojelio, yes indeed our mistakes are how we learn. And from the one picture it would seem like your mistakes were smaller ones. The grips look darn nice.

9mmfan, a project of this sort if the best way to start out with a new hobby or at least a side line to your gun hobby. The best part is that if you mess up you just toss the small pieces of wood away and you've lost nothing but your time. But with each attempt you learn more and more.

If you take up the challenge the idea isn't to start out with some snazzy pieces of rare and costly wood. Instead get some good hemlock or fir trim wood from the local lumberyard and learn your lessons on that. With woods of that sort you're looking at about a buck's worth of risk per side AT MOST!

Jaymo
August 31, 2013, 03:28 PM
Nice persimmon. That wood will play hell on a chainsaw chain.
Not surprising. It's in the ebony family.

If you enjoyed reading about "First attempt at gripmaking" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!