Colorado Recall

PDA

Praxidike
August 24, 2013, 08:25 PM
I'm just wondering do any of you think the two Democrats in Colorado who are facing a recall on Sept. 10th because of their support for new gun laws that passed in their state will actually lose their jobs? What message and impact do you think it will have on pro 2nd amendment rights if the they win the recall by a large margin?

Last I heard is that they out raised their opponents about 2 to 1, Bloomberg is helping bankroll and is running ads, and that most Coloradans do not support the recall...

If you enjoyed reading about "Colorado Recall" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mokin
August 25, 2013, 01:35 AM
I think the 2nd Amendment rights "issue" is just the tip of the iceberg and more of the recall is about long time Colorado residents finally saying enough is enough from folks who moved here from somewhere else only to turn it into the place they left.

coloradokevin
August 25, 2013, 05:11 AM
Statistically speaking we ought to have a very good chance of pulling off some of these recalls. The real question in my mind comes down to wondering how well the Democrats will manage to manipulate this particular election... I was recently reading that they rammed some legislation through during this last session that would allow voters from other Colorado senate districts to vote in the recall election if they show up and say that they 'intend to move to the district (where the recall is taking place) in the future', or some such nonsense.

On the basis of the voters in these districts alone, I think there's a strong possibility that the recalled senators will lose their jobs. But, if the Dems bus in a bunch of liberal college students on election day to help sway the vote in their favor, then who really knows what will happen! Personally, I just hope we get a fair and ethical vote in this instance!

Carl N. Brown
August 25, 2013, 09:08 AM
http://www.quinnipiac.edu/images/polling/co/co08222013.pdf
22 Aug 2013 Quinnipiac U published a survey of 1,184 Colorado voters on the gun laws that led to the recall vote and the recall vote itself.

On recall in general: voters were 2 to 1 that "efforts to remove legislators when people don't agree with their vote should be when they face reelection" rather than in a special recall election.

On recall of Morse and Giron specifically: voters were 5 to 3 or almost 5 to 4 against those specific recalls.

On the gun laws that prompted the recall vote: 54% of voters oppose the stricter new gun control laws and 40% support.

If the recall vote is a referendum on recall in general, or recall of Morse and Giron in particular, you could have one result.

If the recall vote is a referendum on the gun control laws, and Bloomberg's meddling could focus the recall on gun control, you could have another result entirely.

Trunk Monkey
August 25, 2013, 09:39 AM
The problem I have with those poll stats is that regardless of what the poll says, in both districts more people signed the recall petition than voted in the original election.

If those folks show up on election day Morse and Giron are out of a job.

Also (and I realize this is not scientific) whenever the network affiliates post anything about the election on their FB pages the respones is overwhelmingly against Morse/Giron.

I think Colorado voters have had it with the Californication of our state and I think we're going to go very red next election.

Praxidike
August 25, 2013, 09:41 AM
Statistically speaking we ought to have a very good chance of pulling off some of these recalls. The real question in my mind comes down to wondering how well the Democrats will manage to manipulate this particular election... I was recently reading that they rammed some legislation through during this last session that would allow voters from other Colorado senate districts to vote in the recall election if they show up and say that they 'intend to move to the district (where the recall is taking place) in the future', or some such nonsense.

On the basis of the voters in these districts alone, I think there's a strong possibility that the recalled senators will lose their jobs. But, if the Dems bus in a bunch of liberal college students on election day to help sway the vote in their favor, then who really knows what will happen! Personally, I just hope we get a fair and ethical vote in this instance!
I don't know, but I hope you're right. It would send a strong message either way. If they win, then the next group of lawmakers in Colorado and abroad will be even more liberal with new intrusive gun laws, but if they lose, it will send a strong message that Bloomberg's money might be able to influence Colorado's politicians but not it's voters.

I'm surprised that others have not been following this historic event...

Praxidike
August 25, 2013, 09:50 AM
The problem I have with those poll stats is that regardless of what the poll says, in both districts more people signed the recall petition than voted in the original election.

If those folks show up on election day Morse and Giron are out of a job.

Also (and I realize this is not scientific) whenever the network affiliates post anything about the election on their FB pages the respones is overwhelmingly against Morse/Giron.

I think Colorado voters have had it with the Californication of our state and I think we're going to go very red next election.

Well I don't know about that... What I do know is that, even if you take this past election for example, most gun rights activist, Conservatives, and Republicans tend to be a lot more vocal about their outraged on news sites, blogs, comment sections, talk radio, tv programs, etc compared to the other side...

I think that because of that, most of us end up shocked and appalled and suffer from the "I can't believe Obama or [INSERT NAME HERE] won when everyone I know voted against him/her" syndrome... I'm nervous, but I hoping they will pull this off...

Robert
August 25, 2013, 10:13 AM
John Morse is a idiot. I have seen him speak in public and every time he opened his mouth I actually felt a little sorry for him. He does not know even the most basic information about almost any topic. His lack of firearms knowledge is border line criminal.

He said that he is ok with putting otherwise law abiding people in prison simply because they own or posses a magazine with more than 10 rounds. In prison. I heard him say this my self as another THR mod and I were speaking to him at an event.

He always touts his having been a cop, but of the officers I personally know in CSPD and EPSO that knew him when, none have anything good to say about his time as an officer. The man is simply terrible on all accounts and the sooner we remove him from office the better CO will be. If only I lived in his district and could vote against him.

Trunk Monkey
August 25, 2013, 02:11 PM
My biggest issue with Morse isn't even so much his support of this legislation as it is the fact that he supported it over the clear objection of the majority of his constituentcy and has stated that he voted against the will of the people because it was "the right thing to do."

With that atittude I'd support the recall if the issue was buying beer on Sunday.

rondog
August 25, 2013, 02:20 PM
If everyone in this state could vote on it, they wouldn't have a chance. But since only people in their districts can vote, that will make it closer. There's a LOT of PO'd people here that can only watch the recalls from outside the fence. Plus, the voting will have to be done in person, no mail-ins, and that may catch a lot of people off-guard or eliminate a lot who won't get the chance to go vote.

There's several rural counties here that are seriously pursuing seceding from the state and forming a new state. That speaks to how pissed people are. I hope more counties join in, I'd like to see it become Colorado and "Central Colorado" (Denver and Boulder by themselves!).

Carl N. Brown
August 25, 2013, 03:39 PM
Morse has stated he is perfectly OK with putting people in prison for owning a magazine with a cartridge capacity over ten rounds.

First, over ten rounds has been a standard magazine capacity for a number of common firearms starting with the 1935 Browning HP pistol.
Second, as we all know, there are gun owners who do not pay attention to these laws that felonize ordinary or obscure gun paraphenalia legal for generations.

Criminalizing otherwise non-criminal citizens by redefining what has been legal for decades is Morse's idea of "the right thing to do." It is actual a common attitude among gun control advocates nationwide.

Those of us not in Colorado should not be smug, or fail to pay attention to what the antis want. Or ignore California for example: Los Angeles Community College Board of Trustees Vice President Scott Svonkin has taken the stand banning the word "gun" from the school course catalogs, including ending a six-year old NRA gun safety course at LACC. “We should make sure that students don't come to campus being afraid to run into somebody with a gun” and “I believe that the NRA's goal is to promote gun ownership, and that guns lead to deaths. So, not having the NRA teach classes, not having the NRA classes on our campuses, is a good thing.” (reported in Katherine Timpf, "LA Community College drops NRA class after six years due to new regs", Campus Reform, 19 Aug 2013)

Criminalizing millions of gun owners over common standard magazine capacities, or ending gun safety classes, is "the right thing to do" in their mind.

BullfrogKen
August 28, 2013, 06:09 PM
This is a political topic weakly disguised as a Legal question.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colorado Recall" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!