Your Scariest Hunting Experience?

PDA

rcmodel
August 24, 2013, 09:36 PM
Here is the top five in my lifetime.

1. Falling through the ice on a Federal Reservoir (Perry) in 10 degree weather up to my arm-pits.
While carrying 12 duck decoys, a Browning A-5, and a box of shells, in hip boots.
Managed to get out of the ice, and walk over a mile back to the truck with clothes frozen stiff as boards.
I was so cold when I got to the truck I was barely able to hold the keys in both hands to unlock & start it and get the heater running.
Thought I was gonna die!

2. Swamped by a Rogue Wave on a Federal Reservoir (John Redman) in Kansas!!
We were hunting the lake in a 14’ aluminum boat with a full camo cover, three guys, three shotguns, two bags of decoys, and enough ammo to start WWIII.
About 20 degrees, with a thin sheet of ice over the lake.

Calm cold morning, no wind, no wave action, no nothing.
The lake was a sheet of glass.
Chugging along, breaking skim ice to get out to an island below the dam when a 4 foot rogue wave swept across the lake and almost swamped our over-loaded boat about a half mile from shore.

I only heard the ice cracking northwest of the boat, saw a white cap coming in the moonlight, and had time to turn it into the wave or it would have capsized us for sure.
Turned out we took on about a foot of water, but the old Ouachita boat kept afloat until we could do some furious bailing.
Only the canvas side skirting from the camo cover kept enough water out to keep us from sinking.

All three of us were going 'WTH was that? And where did it come from??'

Found out later, there was a 5+ magnitude earthquake in southern Illinois which was felt throughout the eastern portion of Kansas.
Thought I was gonna die!

3. ‘Almost’ rode a dirt bike off into an abandoned & unmarked mine shaft.
On the side of a mountain at 0-dark-30 on a pre-season deer scouting trip near Cripple Creek CO.
Laid it down and skidded to a stop with both wheels hanging over the edge of a deep dark hole.
Thought I was gonna die!

4. ‘Almost’ stepping in a 40’ deep water well covered over with tumble weeds while pheasant hunting.
Only got one foot in before I fell over backward to keep from falling forward into the well.
Thought I was gonna die!

5. A friend and I were coyote hunting early one morning and killed two.
I threw them in the trunk for skinning later, as the guy I was hunting with was big into selling hides..

So, I take my friend back to his apartment complex and open the trunk.
The next thing I knew, a bloody snarling 'Dead' coyote climbed up over my cowering body, and disappeared down the street & around the corner going like he had just seen the White Light at the end of the tunnel!
Far as I know, he is still running, and that was 43 years ago!!
Thought I was gonna die!

So there’s my top five.
What’s yours.

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "Your Scariest Hunting Experience?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MCgunner
August 24, 2013, 09:45 PM
I shot a pig once, first one I'd ever shot, 200 lbs or so, shot him too far back and blood trailed him into the brush with my .357. When I caught up with him, he charged, I shot and won, but I had the shakes for the next 10 minutes.

I was putting out deeks in the Guadalupe Delta on a pothole there. I could hear the guys hunting the spot up from me as they went to their pot hole. My gun was in the salt grass 20 yards away, pitch dark except for a bright flare stack at a nearby plant shedding some light. I hear an animal coming in the marsh, thought it was those guys' dog, but it was a hog, had to be 350+ lbs, walked right up in my pot hole and stopped and stared at me. I froze. I could see his tusks by the light of that flare stack, were intimidating. I had no gun, so I decided to yell, jumped and waved my arms wide and yelled at him. He stood there for a few seconds, grunted, and just walked on. After that, I slung my shotgun and kept 2 rounds in the magazine when I was putting out deeks.

That's really all I can think of. I've hunted around gators, but never made me nervous like that hog. I've done a lot of water fowling. My hog hunting started about 20 years ago. They're the only animal I've been around except gators (which I never got a tag for) that were even half way dangerous. We don't have bear down here.

Oh, we don't have ice, either. :D

MCgunner
August 24, 2013, 09:52 PM
Oh, I got hit by a rattler a few years ago on my snake boot. Didn't really scare me at all, though, just sorta startled. I see a lot of rattlers out there, it's why I wear snake boots.

There's one fellow, is it "Kodiak beer"?, that has been attacked by a brown bear/griz. THAT was a scary story just to READ.

Liberty1776
August 24, 2013, 10:56 PM
early 70's - wading back after setting decoys - stepped up on a stump to look at something and my right foot went down inside the rotten stump. and then of course I fell backwards. had to stick my Model 12 into the water butt first to help hold me up til the guy I was with could come out and pull me up... could barely hang on long enough for him to get there...if I had been alone, I'd have died...

rcmodel
August 24, 2013, 11:07 PM
Dang!

That's a good one Liberty1776!!

Once again shows how thin a spider web our lives are hanging on.

rc

hipoint
August 24, 2013, 11:14 PM
Doesn't hold a candle to some of these mentioned, but scary none-the-less... For the record, using a .22 LR for hunting deer IS legal in western north carolina, or at least was the last time I checked (last year)

I was out on a farm patrol scouting for groundhogs, I only had my ruger 10/22 on me with a big aftermarket mag hanging out of the bottom. Something told me I should lay down a play sniper for a minute, no sooner than I laid down than a big herd of deer walked into our blueberry field. I was right beside their preferred "exit" to the field, so I thought "heck, I'll just lay real still, let that little buck get right up on me and blast him"... I laid real still... Let that little buck get right up on me, he saw me and started snorting, pawing, and rearing up bashing his front hooves on the ground. I thought, jeez, he means to come over here and stomp me! I guess he was about 50 ft. away at that point, so I put the crosshairs right between the eyes... CLICK... dang. real easy I moved my hand up to the charging handle, racked in a new shell... CLICK... dang. by this time, my slow movements were really bothering the buck and he was quite angry with me. again, moved my hand up, pulled the handle, the mag dumps about 10 rounds out into the action... DANG! I am dumping the rifle out, trying to clear the jams, finally get them clear and he is actually coming over to investigate further... That time it fired, but it was a squib round. THUMP... I saw the bullet fly like a pellet gun would and bounce off his skull. Luckily that was enough to make him leave, but I was pretty freaked out. I don't know what would have happened if I had stood up, might have run away, might have attacked.. a 10/22 makes a TERRIBLE stick to hit something with.

anyhow, that's when I quit using a .22 LR for deer, I had taken plenty before with that same gun, and a GOOD .22 shell will do it at the proper range but I can't trust the ammo anymore.

actually, that's probably more funny than scary haha, but I sure was scared at the time, all I could think about is how sharp those hooves are.

hipoint
August 24, 2013, 11:23 PM
before I get bashed, deer are varmints on my farm and we have depredation permits for them... BUT, this is a prime example of WHY you don't use a .22LR on deer!

tarosean
August 25, 2013, 02:19 AM
. Falling through the ice on a Federal Reservoir in 10 degree weather up to my arm-pits.

Ive done that, kind of.. I actually slipped on a large rock I was standing on, fell below breaking all the thin ice. Everyone swears I walked on water getting out.
I couldnt make the hike back up to the vehicle so I just stripped nekid and we started a fire.

Nothing else really scary, slips and falls that resulted in broken guns but otherwise I ended up okay.

savanahsdad
August 25, 2013, 04:28 AM
about 15 years back I was in a tree-stand, about 18' up, the stand was about 3'X3' with walls on 3 sides about 3 1/2' high you could set your gun in any of the four corners and not worry about it falling , real nice stand with a good seat it in it , at about 8am some deer came out at about 75 yards , got my gun up, picked out a nice doe , waited for a clean shot ,, then nothing ! dam... I forgot to take off my safety ! click off safety , aim ,,,, deer turned, no shot , nothing but tails ,, set gun back it it's corner, ... about 1/2 hr later, more deer came out, but closer , I slowly reached down for my gun , and bang !!! I never put the safety back on :banghead: ,and when I reached down ,not taking my eyes off the deer my finger pushed straight down on the trigger ! never touched the gun , just the trigger , and that's the day I learned what a 270win sounds like 10' from my ear ! about a week later A guy came into the spots shop were I helped out at to show us his LUCKY HAT , the brim had a bullet hole in it :what: I guess his ears were ringing longer than mine by a good day !

41 Mag
August 25, 2013, 06:00 AM
Quite a few years back I had picked up a Contender in 7x30 Waters for a handgun only hunt in Wisconsin that I got invited on. After working on loads all summer I had settled on a pretty warm loaded, (for the Contender anyway), 140gr Nosler BT. It shot groups of less than 2" at 250yds. So after shooting numerous hogs with it during the summer and finding how well it actually DID preform on them, I had made my trip with no shots fired. A couple of weeks after that I was helping out my friend and his wife with a somewhat deer drive at his place.

We were actually hoping that one of the three of us would get a shot on a huge ol buck we had all seen hanging out in their front woods. IT was about a hundred acres or so and the plan was him and his wife would set up on the far side, and I would first drive my 4 wheeler down the near side which usually ran everything that way simply by the noise, and then I would still hunt back and forth through the woods towards them, stopping at the road in the middle to set up and wait. The hopes were that if the noise and my movement didn't get him moving that he would slip by one of us while we waited.

Well none of that worked out for the buck, but while sitting up next to a tree I had a bunch of hogs getup from under a fallen tree some 50'ish yards out from me. One of them looked to be a pretty decent sow. Least thats what I thought. I figured I would take it with the Contender so I set my rifle down against the tree, and eased out on my rear in order to get a clear shot. After several attempts to pick a hole through the brush I finally had a clear lane, and as luck would have it the hog stepped right into it at about 40yrd. I was waiting with arms stretched across both knees I dropped the hammer when the cross hair settled on it's lower shoulder. As the recoil subsided all I could see was this huge hog coming straight to me in a full tilt run with jaws snapping and tusk showing each time they opened. I had no time to get another round in the Contender to I ditched it and crab crawled backwards to my rifle. As soon as I got it pointed at the hog it was to me. I literally rolled out of it's way and shot at the same time. It took about 10yds to come to a stop and turn around but it was coming back for more. Just as I was pulling the trigger for the second time with the rifle it dropped.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=177947&d=1358587695

We couldn't get the huge thing out where he was, but as you can clearly see the Contender and it's 14" barrel don't look very big up side his head. We have taken several hogs from that area that bumped over the 400# mark, but none with as nasty a temperament as this one had. He was coning to share the pain with me for sure.

Same place several years later, I was back down by the river again after the hogs. I had set up on a creek bank that overlooked a potion of pipeline. Just before dark I had the hogs coming out single file down their trail. I shot one big sow, another popped out, I shot it and another popped out. This went one until I was out of bullets in my little Ruger 308. Four of the five I got were laying right there in a neat area of about 5 yards. The third one had made it into the thick stuff but was only a few yards in. I could tell it was down but I wanted to finish it off quickly and start getting them ready to haul out.

I loaded the rifle back up, and walked the 30 or so yards over to the edge of the pipeline. I had to bend over and sort of squat down to get under the low hanging tree limbs where the hog had gone. When I did, it was just as if someone had hit me in the back with an axe. I lost all function of my legs, the pain was so intense I nearly passed out, and I literally just face planted right then and there. I sort of waited for the muzzle blast of who ever had shot me, it was the first thing that went through my mind. Then reality set in and I was laying face down not able to move not 20 feet form this very hurt, and very pissed off hog. Problem was I was laying on my rifle and wasn't sure I could get off it. I knew one of us was going to go, and I sure didn't want to go without a fight, so I summoned up all I could bear and pulled the rifle out, and finished off the hog. The other thing was I was 2 miles from anywhere, about 3/4 of a mile from my 4 wheeler, and my friend and his wife were about a mile in the other direction from me. I sucked up all I had in me to get to my feet. I have never in my life hurt as bad as I did then and there. I still had no idea what was going on, only that I cold hardly stand and walking was even more of a task. I managed to get back up the pipeline to the road, where luckily for me I could see my friends waiting by my 4 wheeler. They knew I should have been there and when they saw my light they came to get me. What I had somehow managed to do was to herniate two disc in my lower back L3 and L5 at the same time. Haven't got a clue as to why, but I know one thing, it was a VERY long 2 hour drive back home, and then a LONG 4 months of recovery and therapy to get over it. Yes it scared the bajeebers out of me. I couldn't imagine what had happened other than I had possibly been shot, or that I might have stumbled on some crackheads camp back there in the woods and he had literally hit me with an axe. Not to mention the hog I was staring at while laying there not able to move. Up until the instant I bent over and went under that limb I had no indication or pain what so ever in my lower back. So as you can imagine all sorts of stuff was running through my mind competing with the pain.

Or it could have been the couple or three times I have come face to face with poachers. Each time they and I were armed, but I guess the fact I had mine up and meant business, kept things from escalating.

Boxhead
August 25, 2013, 07:02 AM
It was a grizzly hunt in BC a few years ago. I took the shot with my 338-06, one I thought was good, and the bear started spinning like the little Taz devil we know muzzle in the wound. He spun from view and all went silent. We slowly proceeded heading up the ridge a bit having no idea where he may have headed but assumed to the woods above. We found him 50 or so yards up dead. My nerves have never been so I any hunt.

PonyKiller
August 25, 2013, 10:35 AM
Pales in comparison, but it's all I got. I was set up on a convergence of game paths just off of a hillside about 25 feet from walking path.I hadn't seen anyone in the area for days so for around here I was pretty secluded. About an hour before sundown I hear something off to the left. Before I could see what it was I knew it was someone walking down the path not any sort of game so I laid my shotgun across my lap and put my hands on my knees. I was sitting on the ground back against a tree orange from waist to head. He comes walking up the path scanning the trees looked me directly in the face and kept walking. I sat there motionless, not wanting to startle him, he went up the path, turned around came back and passed by again, this time looking the other way, I let him walk on again not wanting to starle him, hoping he'd cruise back from whence he came. He poked around the hillside for a moment, and again returned. This time he looked me in the face again and continued on, me still sitting motionless, at this point I come to the conclusion, he is either color blind, or oblivious, either way I don't want him setting up near me, so I wait for him to pass by a few steps, and give him a moderately loud very clear "hello fella, another hunter here!" in a very even un-confrontational tone. The guy practically jumps out if his skin , drops the barrel of his shot gun to the ground and starts scanning the forest in front of him. I stay seated and slowly wave my blaze orange hat back and forth and say "back here". He slowly turns and looks till he see's me.
He asks me if i'd been there the whole time, I say yes. He apologizes and tells me he's going back to his truck, he's done for the day , unloads his shot gun and walked off visibly shaken.

GTLrider
August 25, 2013, 11:05 AM
Deer hunting in New Mexico many decades ago when I was 16. I was driving a covered Jeep. My passenger friend was being very careless with the muzzle of his rifle - letting it point at my head. I told him to keep it away from me several times. As we were pulling into camp, he allowed the muzzle to point at my head one more time.

I stopped the Jeep, pushed the rifle away from me and told him with more vigor to not point it at me. He got mad, said it didn't matter because the gun was not loaded and slammed the butt against the floorboard of the Jeep. The rifle fired. I instinctively grabbed my head and rolled out of the Jeep. I stood up ready to beat the crap out of him, but saw that the incident scared him worse than it did me. He thought he had shot me and was in shock.

I later got back in the Jeep and from where the bullet hole in the top was located, the bullet couldn't have missed my head by more than an inch or two. I think it was the same year that a game warden was taking his horse (wearing a fluorescent orange blanket) out of his trailer when a "hunter" shot the horse.

The shooter later said he thought the horse was a deer. A deer? Wearing an orange blanket and backing out of a trailer with a uniformed game warden next to it? That was the last time I went deer hunting.

Kingcreek
August 25, 2013, 11:46 AM
I fell through the ice while hunting pheasants as a teenager. Crossing the creek in the same place I crossed it a half hour earlier. A few degrees above zero and a mile from the truck. I got myself out and moved as fast as I could.
Bow hunting in December during a snow that turned ugly into sleet and freezing rain. I should have left right away but the deer were moving. When I tried to climb down everything was glazed and slicker than snot. I slipped and went down on the wrong side of a 4" limb. I couldn't get down without getting up and over so I was hanging from my safety belt like a piņata. Tried everything. My cell phone could not get a signal and my spare safety belt was a mile away in the truck. I took off my leather belt and looped my arm through it and cut my safety line. Belt broke and fell 16' landed on my back, compression fracture L1, broke 2 ribs and chipped a couple teeth and still had to hoof it a rough mile and cross a creek to get to my truck. Ouch and more ouch.
Got lost in northern Minnesota boundary waters 18000 acres wilderness swamps because I didn't believe my compass, lots of iron ore boulders that can fuddle a compass. Had one AA flashlight. I found my way back to a firetrail but I had a match worth of light by then and I walked in the dark as much as I could. I got back to the cabin as the other guys were discussing how to start the rescue search. Damn was I glad to see the cabin gas lights.

der Teufel
August 25, 2013, 11:55 AM
Several decades ago, while still in high school, several buddies and I decided to hop in the family boat (an old plywood, 15-foot 'ski boat' that had a 25HP outboard motor) to go rabbit hunting at night along the Neches River between Port Arthur and Beaumont, Texas. The river used to meander, but was long ago 'straightened' for ship traffic. In the old curvey channels the Navy had stored dozens of mothballed ships. In the 60's there were old escort carriers and all kinds of cool vessels there. We figured we'd land in some remote spot and go after the rabbits in the marshes.

We are hauling heinie through one of these old channels in the dark, when suddenly we see something flash by. We're loaded up for rabbit hunting, meaning winter jackets, gloves, wading boots, and pockets full of shotgun shells and .22 ammo. We have life preservers in the boat, but no one is wearing any sort of floatation device. We look at each other with quizzical expressions, and then something else goes by in the dark. Now we're somewhere between curious and concerned. We're traveling about 20-25 miles/hour through the water. Yet another dark shape whisks by and someone says "Did you see that?"

"Yeah, someone else replies, what was it?"

"I dunno, but I've seen a couple of them so far" I respond.

I'm driving the boat, so I slow down and tell someone to come forward with a flashlight. They do and pretty soon we realize that we've been driving through a mooring area. The objects flashing by were floating 55 gallon drums holding mooring lines for ships. If we had hit one we would have seriously holed the boat and probably thrown everyone into the water. Did I mention that this was January or February, and the water was cold and deep?

We slowed to a crawl and put a guy on the bow with a flashlight and crept out of the area without further incident, but we were all more than just a little shaken.

zdc1775
August 25, 2013, 12:25 PM
When I was about 16 I was hunting our back fence line which boardered land owned by a paper company and leased by a local hunting club my grandfather and I were members of, anyway as I was walking out of a ground blind that we have I forgot to put on my orange vest. I made it about thirty yards before I realized this and turned to go back. Well some jack*** that one of the fellow members had brought out to hunt on the club heard and saw movement but couldn't verify what it was so he thought "Hey why don't I just shoot where I think this thing might be at?" So he fires one round hoping to either hit the deer or scare it so he can shoot again, only problem it isn't a deer he is shooting at it's me. He was about 75-80 yards away shooting a 30-06 and the round hit a small oak tree about three feet to my left and two feet in front of me. From where he shot the round must have passed within about a foot of my torso. Between the sound of the gunshot, the bullet passing, and the impact I honestly thought I would never hear again. I hit the ground and dug out the radio we used and called my grandfather and uncle to come help because somebody was trying to shoot me. I layed on the ground for about thirty minutes with my rifle pointing where the sound came from waiting for either the shooter to come or for my family to come rescue me. We didn't find out until later that one of the member had brought a friend and set him up in a stand over by the fence line. He also never would tell us who the friend was so we filed a grievance with the board against him and he lost his membership.

CApighunter
August 25, 2013, 01:16 PM
Stumbled across an active pot grow on public land. I turned around and headed out when I heard people speaking Spanish headed right towards me. I booked it in a different directio and made my way back to the truck. I drove as fast as I could to the main highway and called the sherriffs department. Never found out if they busted the growers or not, but I was scared for my life.

Bull Nutria
August 25, 2013, 01:18 PM
i read RC's 5 near misses and WOW he has been in some tough spots. i can't recall any thing as serious as RC described but i have been shook up a few times when boating at night either going duck hunting or returning.

one nite a few years ago a buddy and I were returning from a late pm duck hunt at the mouth of the Atchafalaya River delta in nov or dec, when white out fog set in as we head back to the landing. Luckily we had laid down a bread crumb trail on my GPS, it did not show the floating tree top in the river current that we hit at about 15 mph in the fog. well the branches of the tree were above water but the trunk hit the lower unit in my 90hp outboard 17ft runabout causing the bow to take a dive, well the water splashed over the windshield and at same time the lower unit rode over the trunk and the bow popped up. it was very close to submarine city and the water was very cold we would have been goners!!

i have retired from riding in boats in the fog at nite! there is no duck worth the risk!

Bull

skiking
August 25, 2013, 01:31 PM
A few years back I was spring bear hunting. Walking up a ridge I came face to face with a big grizzy. He huffed and pounded his paws into the ground and then charged. Stopped a few feet from me and ran off.

Another time I was hunting whitetails opening day. I was headed in before light and got a sick feeling in my gut, looked to my left and about 10 feet from me was a mountain lion with his haunches in the air. I fired one shot with my rifle pointed in his general direction. He stood up and walked down the road I was walking down.

There are more moments that are terrifying, don't know why I am still alive, and I still have a few years before I hit 30.

OptimusPrime
August 25, 2013, 02:11 PM
These are as close as I've been to dying (that I know of).....

Duck hunting on the Rock River in southern Wisconsin. My brother dropped me off and I was stringing out the deeks along the shore. He took the boat and had gone scouting somewhere while I walked along the shallows and setting up the spread. Suddenly, I realized that I wasn't moving but the water level was inching up. I had stepped into some sort of primordial ooze that threatened to suck me right down into Middle Earth somewhere. I didn't know what to do; it started as thigh-deep water but I was down to about mid-chest by now. The water was about an inch from the top of my waders and I was fast reaching decision time. The mud had compressed my waders around my foot so they weren't gonna get kicked off, and I had no knife on me, no gun, nothing that would help. I kept trying to pump my legs up and down like I was standing on a bicycle but nothing was working. Have you ever held onto a decoy and tried to pretend it was a flotation device?
Short story my brother came back in time and we used the boat's motor to pull me out of the mud while I hung on to the side. Solid ground feels GOOD. I THOUGHT I WAS GONNA DIE! :uhoh:

Another time there was a sapling that absorbed the slug that was meant for my chest. We were in the woods flushing out the deer, and a smaller group was outside the woods paying no attention. Deer came out and ran between the 2 groups as always. Us on the inside knew where the standers were so we held fire. The standers disregarded that little bit of safety and BAM. I saw the sapling explode before we heard the shot of course, but we hit the ground and screamed like we were getting shot at. Cuz we were. Upon later review the slug was stuck 9/10 of the way through the little tree with just his little lead nose poking out. A bunch of splinters and shrapnel had burst forth, and it was sternum-height and in my general direction from the shooters. Thank God for trees.

LeonCarr
August 25, 2013, 02:21 PM
About 20 years ago I was hunting hogs with a co-worker and his little brother in Ames just outside of Liberty, Texas. I had a Marlin 1895 .45-70 loaded with Remington 300 Grain JHPs, co-worker had a Winchester 100 semi-auto .243 (One of those that had the factory recall because they would go full-auto) and little brother had a Universal M1 .30 Carbine with a 30 round magazine. After walking around for about an hour, we run across about 50 hogs inhaling acorns under several big oak trees. We get behind a fallen oak tree and Co-worker shoots at one with the .243. All of the little hogs run off, and about 8 of the big ones start running TOWARD us. I shot one with the .45-70, and about one second later I hear "tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat" about one foot from my right ear from the little brother opening up with the .30 Carbine. I shot another with the .45-70 at about 80 yards and it spun him around like a helicopter rotor. When the shooting was over and the other hogs had headed for the woods we had a 343 pound Boar, a 252 pound sow, and a 207 pound boar with about 11 holes in him on the ground. Guess what made the 11 holes?

I got the Heebie Jeebies big time when the little hogs ran off and the biguns started running towards us.

RC, you should start carrying Ground Penetrating Radar on your hunting trips and motorcycle outings :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

critter
August 25, 2013, 02:25 PM
My buddy and I were on a winter duck scouting trip. We were in a 14" Al boat in a flooded bottom land full of bald cypress trees-and frozen over. Ice was just about as thick as the boat would break, so going was VERY slow. We were about a mile out into the swamp away from land---and a SEVERE thunderstorm hit!

LOTS of near nickel to quarter sized hail and LOTS of lightning running up and down those cypress trees! Lasted about 20-30 minutes. Seemed like a WEEK!

We were VERY happy to get back to land once the fireworks were over!

splattergun
August 25, 2013, 02:38 PM
Duck hunting on the Bear R. in Idaho, I didn't choose the right driftwood log to tie on to while loading the boat in the dark. The current pulled the boat, line and log out into the river and the soggy log sank with the line. This shallow river, like a lot of western rivers, has a mud bottom, deep and sticky. I waded out in my hip boots, caught up with the boat just a few yards out, but like an idiot, I was on the down-stream side. :banghead: My feet were stuck in the sucking mud and the current was pushing the boat over me. So here I am, stuck in the mud being pushed over into the 37 degree water slowly but surely, and I couldn't escape.

I managed to push the boat to drift around me, but it was too late to keep my balance and I splashed into the mud. My buddy, laughing himself silly, came out and helped me up and out. Then he went downstream to a fordable gravel bottom and snagged the boat. Funny, yes. But if my partner had been up at the truck a quarter mile away, I could have drowned struggling to get out of that sucking mud.

He stopped laughing when he saw me shivering and realized the morning hunt was over before it began.

351 WINCHESTER
August 25, 2013, 03:27 PM
I wounded a hog early one morning at out hunt club. I had taken my brother in law hunting and he had a 12 ga. single barrel with buckshot. We looked for the hog for about any hour and on our way back I spied him in the brush. I put two .308 silvertips in him and here he come. I could not pick him up in my scope so I guess I dropped it and pulled my .45 gm. I put 7 slugs into him before he finally dropped. I asked my brother in law why he didn't shoot and I got no reply. I turned around and he was gone. I hollered and he was back at the truck in the truck with the windows rolled up. I never took him hunting again.

I stepped on a 6 1/2' eastern diamondback while rabbit hunting. I took several steps as I thought I had stepped on some cow dung when I realized there were no cattle where I was hunting. I turned around and he had curled up. I unloaded my nylon 66, reloaded in haste and unloaded again. I was shaking that time.

Numerous encounters with cottonmouths. I assume they are all armed and dangerous and shoot everyone I can. I even caught one on a plastic worm. I guess the last diamondback I killed was about 5' and my youngest son was with me. I had shot him in the head with my .38 wadcutter and put him in the back of the truck. Several hours later my son told me he was still alive so I cut off his head. I don't waste bullets on pigmey rattlers. I just walk up to them and stomp em dead.

When we were kids me and my brother were exploring my uncles farm in Pa. during the winter. The creek was frozen over and my brother fell in. I pulled him out and we hightailed it to the house for him to get warm. On that same farm another year I got in the hog pen and got chased by a rather big porker. I outran him and don't remember if I ever touched that fence or not, but I'm sure I did cause I wasn't more than 8 or so.

We were shrimping/fishing from the bank one night and I was in chest deep water and the tide was incoming. Three feet from me was a manatee (I guess) and I don't think I have ever been that scared.

H&Hhunter
August 25, 2013, 04:25 PM
I think waterfowl hunting may well be the most dangerous form of hunting in the world. No kidding almost everybody I know who's had a serious almost dead outdoors experience has been a waterfowl hunter who got into trouble with freezing water in frigid temperatures. these posts tend to verify my thoughts on the subject ducks and geese are the most dangerous game!

With that said I'll a couple of my terrifying hunting moments.

Aggieshakshak river drainage in the Alaskan Arctic early October 1992. At the time I was working as a bush pilot out of kotzebue AK and in between trips had a week off for some caribou hunting. I flew into a river bar and set up camp under a nice bunch of black spruce trees. The second day out I killed a good bull and spent the entire day packing him the 5 miles back to camp on my pack frame. It took me two trips for a total of 20 miles of hiking that day. I cached the meat away from camp and cooked up some caribou steaks, sucked down a medium sized cup of whiskey and retired to my little one man walrus tent and immediately fell into a deep exhausted sleep.

My spot up on the Aggie....This is a picture taken several years later after I had progressed to a Kifaru Tipi tent with a stove, but it's in the same spot as the incident.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y187/GTAllyn/alaskacamp.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/GTAllyn/media/alaskacamp.jpg.html)
I had made one almost fatal mistake in grizzly bear country however. In my fatigued slightly drunken state I'd neglected to take off my caribou blood stained long johns and place them away from camp. In my hazy state of exhaustion I'd crashed out still wearing them.

I was in a deep dreamless sleep at about 02:00 when I suddenly awoke with ice water terror running through my veins and my heart pounding in an instant primal fear induced adrenalin rush. I didn't know what had woken me but my sixth senses were telling me that something was seriously wrong and danger was near. I lay still for a moment and located my S&W .44 mag Mountain Pistol that was always by my side. As I lay there trying to figure out what had spooked me I heard a large animal moving very near my tent, in fact it was right next to my head. And then it made the unmistakable sound of sucking in a large volume of air and woofing in out. It was a bear right next to my head within feet if not inches. I froze except for moving the pistols muzzle into line with where I thought he was.

He heard me move and was silent for a moment. The grizz moved again, this time he bumped his nose into the tent fabric bulging it in and sniffing trying to figure out what I was. I cocked back the hammer and simultaneously screamed "GET OUT HERE YOU SORRY SOB!" (internet friendly version of what was really said) and was desperately trying to get untangled from my sleeping bag and unzip the tent fly one handed all while trying to keep the .44 pointed at the bear with the other hand.

I wound up halfway out of my tent with my legs still tangled in my sleeping bag desperately clawing my way around the tent to get a clear shot at the bear. The bear however had taken leave and I heard him crashing through the brush and headed hell bent for leather the other direction. Thank god he'd decided to run and not fight.

Camp was a wreck the bear had torn up everything he could get a hold of including my 6 gallon water jug which he bit and squished flat. He'd demolished my camp cook set and torn my tarp to shreds. I spent the rest of the frigid night calming down by a roaring fire with my .375H&H in hand. For some reason I no longer felt tired!

So how do I know it was grizz and not a black bear you ask? Simple case of deduction my dear Watson...

The track tells no lies. This is an unmistakable grizzly track as you can tell from the long front claw marks. Not a big grizz but big enough!
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y187/GTAllyn/Grizztrack_zps6900099a.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/GTAllyn/media/Grizztrack_zps6900099a.jpg.html)
Here is better picture of the tracks where the bear came into camp. http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y187/GTAllyn/Grizztracks2_zpsc90ee2c0.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/GTAllyn/media/Grizztracks2_zpsc90ee2c0.jpg.html)

My second closest call was in the Zambezi valley of Zimbabwe. Myself a friend and his girlfriend had been tracking a herd cape buffalo all day. We'd cut the tracks at first light and had been trying to catch up to the herd without success into the mid afternoon. Finally it was decided that we should head back to the land Cruiser as we had a long way to go to get back to the truck.

We proceeded back towards the truck and had been walking for several hours in thick forest when suddenly we broke out into a huge lush green valley or a "vlei" as it is locally known. It was a scene right out of a National Geographic magazine. There were multiple animals peacefully feeding including impala, bush buck, a kudu or two, warthog and on the far side three hundred yards distant a group of six cow elephant.

We stopped and were taking in the shear beauty of the scene when to our right a huge trophy impala ram stepped out of some tall grass and started grazing unaware of our presence about 100 yards distant. My buddy decided that he wanted to harvest the ram. There was a short conversation between him and our PH, Lance of which I could tell Lance was uncomfortable with the idea but my buddy was insistent and it was decided to allow him to take a shot.

Now let me back up a bit and add this. It had been briefed on the night prior to the hunt that if anything happens like an elephant charge or a buffalo problem the girl friend was to attach herself to someone with a heavy rifle and stick with them under all circumstances. Well we all know the old saying about battle plans and the first contact with the enemy...

So my buddy makes a beautiful shot with his iron sighted .458 Lott and smokes the ram. At the the shot the six elephant turn, zero in on the source of the sound and immediately start charging our direction. At first we stand there in disbelief thinking surely they'll break off and move away, but no, they are zeroed in and coming on with it. They have formed a loose wish bone formation and lead cow is out front blasting some shrill trumpets, her ears are pinned back and she is coming right for us.

It now becomes apparent that it's time to get the heck out of the way. I pop open my .470 NE double rifle and fling the soft point that I had loaded in my right barrel over my shoulder and quickly load a solid in it's place. As a group we start to run to our right to get off the line of the charge. The elephants shift direction to intercept and keep coming hard. They are now about 100 yards away and starting to look really really big. I am hanging at the back of the group with my double rifle, my buddy is in the middle and the PH is leading the way with his .470 NE double I figure we've got this thing covered. The girlfriend is just ahead and off to my left by about 15 feet.

The lead cow now at about 50 yards lets out another terrifyingly loud and shrill blast from her trunk which causes the girlfriend to panic. She drops and tries to hide under a very small bush, in her state of terror her legs simply gave out on her. I come to a skidding halt and bring my rifle up and put the front sight on the lead cows forehead and am simultaneously yelling at the lead cow to "PLEASE GO AWAY DON'T MAKE ME SHOOT YOU MA'AM" (Once again this is the family friendly version of what was really said.) and I am yelling at the girl friend to get her "posterior" up and moving right NOW! She is frozen the elephant are coming hard I am just getting ready to drop the lead cow with a frontal brain shot of which I have never attempted on a charging elephant, but I have read the directions....

This is all happening FAST, just as I'm getting ready to shoot our Matabele tribesmen tracker sprints in from the right snags the girlfriend by the collar yanks her off the ground, spins and drags her in a full sprint out of the way back to the right. I keep my front sight on the lead elephant and quickly start side shuffling to the right as well. At the last possible moment the elephants shift off course and continue on nosily crashing through the bush and on about their way.

Our PH simply states that hiding behind a small bush simply won't do in an elephant charge. We take a moment to collect ourselves the girl friend has a few tears to shed and we go and retrieve my buddies gorgeous impala ram. As I am standing watching the pictures being taken and the cleaning of the ram I walk over to the Matabele tracker. I thank him for his actions, he scantly acknowledges me with a slight nod of his head and continues to scan the distant bush with his never changing staunch expression.

Elephants are the most terrifying animal on the planet when they are in kill mode.

OptimusPrime
August 25, 2013, 04:59 PM
Wonderful job of telling a couple scary stories, H&H.
"Elephants in a wishbone formation"; I can just picture Knute Rockne barreling through the middle of them. :D

Double_J
August 25, 2013, 05:06 PM
I saw a friend come back to the camp sight one morning dragging a 6.5 foot diamondback rattlesnake. He had killed it coming back from the latrine, lucky for him as he put it. That snake tasted pretty good when cooked over an open flame. Did I mention we were probably a good half day hike into the woods? And that the closest hospital was over an hour away? I am always careful when out in the woods back home due to rattlesnakes, copperheads, and my all time favorite "target" the water moccasin.

My brother and I were out hunting/fishing/killing time one afternoon when we came across a "nest" of moccasins, there must have been 15 of them all balled up on each other. They were on the bank of a little stream we were about to cross and we only noticed them by the distinctive smell they have in our area. We ran out of ammo shooting them to pieces and went back the way we came. There is NO WAY I was going to get bit by a snake that I did not see, even wearing snake boots. I have seen pictures of moccasins that looked like tires when they were coiled up, and those pictures were taken not too far from where we were at.

rbernie
August 25, 2013, 06:32 PM
I'm not much for hunting stories - I tend towards a low drama kind of lifestyle. Having said that, I was out stalking some fallow deer through a ravine and this 500lb fella appeared to decide that he wanted to tussle. Contact distance, and me with a 7.62x39 chambered AR and a bad ankle in ground too rocky to run and scrub too small to climb. Took four shots, with the last two straight down into the boiler room behind the neck, to get him to stay down.

I shook like a tuning fork for a good 30 minutes afterwards....

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=89381&d=1229388127

That's about as dramatic as I get. :)

H&Hhunter
August 25, 2013, 07:31 PM
Wonderful job of telling a couple scary stories, H&H.
"Elephants in a wishbone formation"; I can just picture Knute Rockne barreling through the middle of them.

OP Thank you!

And yes that's just exactly what they looked like. A charging offensive front line in a wishbone. Maybe that's where Knute learned it from?;)

SimplyChad
August 25, 2013, 09:43 PM
Not so much a hunting trip but camping in New Mexico. My former wife, my platoon mate, my wife's best friend, my dogs and I had a few close calls with animals.

After the 6 hour drive to where we normally hiked and camped I took one of the dogs on a 50 ft leash to go potty. Ive had several dogs but never one with a prey drive like her. She doesn't even bother to go to the bathroom because she caught a sent. Went nose to the ground and was going. I holler back to everyone else and off we go after what I thought was a rabbit for the skillet. 2 miles of tracking at a good pace with new snow falling we finally come across some nice fresh tracks. Not rabbit or coyote but nice big deep mountain lion. Only thing I had was a 22 revolver and a 100 lbs pit bull still trying to drag me after it. I finally drag her away back along my covered tracks and find more cat tracks covering my own. The next mile was very very slow and deliberate looking over my shoulder.

Second one was scary after the fact. We didn't get to a area to set up camp until it was sundown. My buddy just lays his bivy sack out to bed down and I set up a tent for the girls. Where we discover my wife left my bivy on the porch. So I bed down with the girls. Late that night my dog walks across my face waking me up to sniff the edge of the tent. I sit up to see what she is doing and we get a deep snorting sniff back from the other side. My dogs start barking like they want to play and something runs off. Next morning we get a good look at the camp sight. Bear sign everywhere. Left my buddy and I very shaken. Girls didn't understand why.

Makes me miss that dog. Wife took her in the divorce while I was deployed.

Bush Pilot
August 25, 2013, 10:15 PM
Once on a mtn goat hunt here in Washington I managed to work my way onto a ledge that couldn't have been more than a foot wide. It took me 2 hours to work back down the ledge to where I finally felt safe. Needless to say I never went back after that billy. BTW, it was probably a 500 ft drop off.

On a sheep hunt in the Yukon I had a grizzly come in my so called cabin, didn't even know he was there until I got up to answer mother nature's call and found muddy tracks everywhere.

During a moose hunt in Alaska we had a sow grizzly and her two cubs keep us pinned in my friend's cabin for 2 days. We thought she'd left, she hadn't and she charged us from a different direction. She was destroyed, never heard if F & G came out for the cubs.

On that same trip I managed to find a tree branch with my left wing tip as I was taking off with a plane full of moose meat. It was really scary because it was too dark to be looking for a place to set down if there had been major damage.

Once I was clearing brush on my place in Montana. I heard some commotion in some really thick stuff and thought it was a deer. I crawled on my hands and knees and came face to face with a big black bear. I'm not sure who was more startled, we both took off like a bat out of hell in opposite directions.

AKElroy
August 25, 2013, 11:21 PM
These are great stories, mine are not that intense, but they were scary nonetheless. 4 years ago, I am filling feeders with 2 buddies. It is late afternoon, and a beautiful thunder boomer is off in the distance. We are not hearing any thunder, and the sun is shining bright where we are. After filling a feeder, I am holding an ALUMINUM ladder, turning to toss it into the truck on the other side of the pin we are standing in, when BOOOM. The flash of lightening was so bright I could feel the heat in the back of my cornea, and it was so loud my ears were ringing. I was on the ground, as we're the other two. The bolt struck a T-Bar at the corner of the pin we were standing in. We ran screaming like little girls back to the truck. Never did rain, never heard another strike or even distant thunder.

The second was two years ago. I was spotlighting coons with my 10 year old, when we saw one in a tree a few hundred yards off the road. Probably 11 at night. I had the only flashlight, ( the spot was plugged into the truck), so I have my boy just ahead of me while I light the way. I see a rattler, 5' at least, laying across the trail, and I tell my son to stop, and grab his shoulder. He keeps walking, oblivious. I yell snake!! And he is looking around, still walking, when I grab him by the collar and yank him off his feet backwards toward me. His next foot-fall would have been on that rattler. 10 rounds from the marlin .22, and he kept right on crawling off into the brush.

We let the coon live.

mnhntr
August 26, 2013, 01:22 PM
1) On the way home from work on the last day of the waterfowl season I saw a big flock of honkers on the half frozen river. I got home grabbed the shotgun and my trusty lab Jake and headed down for a stalk. We got there and in range and I let one rip connecting with a big honker as he was getting up off the water. My lab ran out on the ice (approx 15ft shelf off the bank) and into the water I was thinking about a goose dinner. After fetching the goose I noticed he was not able to climb back up on the ice and was getting tired. I tried to get him to come down steam were it would be a lot easier but once a lab makes his mind up thats it. He tried and tried until he started to go under and I raced out on the ice on my belly lowcrawling to spread my weight out as much as I could. I grabbed his collar and pulled him up on the ice. The whole time that crazy dog had that big honker in his mouth and as he got up on the ice the whole shelf started to break off the bank sliding into the river. I never moved so fast and as I hit the bank I looked around for Jake and he was sitting there with the goose like no big deal. I thought we were both going to drown in that ice cold water.

2) I was taking a buddy bow hunting on a secluded piece of deer hunting heaven. I had never had a problem out there on this little known piece of state land until that day. After getting my buddy set up on one end of the ridge I headed for my stand on the other end which wound up being stollen. I was mad as heck but decided to make the best of it hunting from the ground. I had shot several deer this way so no nig deal. As I sat on the edge of the ridge on a trail I heard noises getting closer. I looked up to see 2 big black fur balls coming down the trail. It turns out to be a sow and a yearling. I put my bow down and pulled the phine out to get some pics. Then I realized they were too close and put the phone in my pocket and pulled the 1911 I carry in the woods. I clicked off the safety just in case, which by the way a bear can hear at 35yds. The cub went flying up a tree and momma starred right at me trying to figure out what was in her space. I thought to myself I do not want any trouble and do not want to have to shoot her but if it comes to it she will get 8 rds of 230gr ball ammo before I get eaten. She woofed a few times then mock charged me to I guess see if i run? I was shaking like a leaf keeping the big oak between us and the 1911 pointed at her. She backed up and made one more attempt at making me crap my shorts withanother mack charge. She then turned and hauled butt out of there. The cub took its sweet time coming down and then followed her out. I went back to the truck to collect myself and my buddy heard me going out and showed up shortly after asking what I had shot and telling me he saw two bear. After I told him the story he couldn't believe I didnt shoot when she charged. After I thought about it she cut 35yds to 20yds so quick I may have never gotton more than a couple shots off if her intentions were bad.

Patocazador
August 26, 2013, 02:06 PM
Mine has to do with an accident while hunting. Three of us were walking a draw in Wyoming. One on each rim and one in the draw attempting to jump a muley. I stepped over a piece of sagebrush and woke up a while later in the bottom of what I thought was a dry well about 15 feet deep. Not thinking straight after the concussion, I tossed my rifle up out of the hole after 3 attempts. Then I thought, "I could have signaled my buddies with it."
After about 15 minutes, I realized the shaft was fairly narrow and propped my arms and legs against opposite sides and slowly worked my way up to the top.
My friends had been searching for me for over 30 minutes to no avail.

It turned out that there is a phenomenon there where the soil washes out eventually forming a "J"-shaped tube that exits at the side of the draw or canyon. The one I fell if hadn't completed the "J".

I spent over a year wearing a corset for the back injury.

Arkansas Paul
August 26, 2013, 02:08 PM
One big scare was my own fault. I was about 15 years old and was climbing into a tree stand without a rope or sling. The gun was fully loaded with one in the pipe. I dropped the darn thing and it fell straight down and hit the ground, butt first, about 12 ft below with me looking down at the business end. All I can say is thank god for the half cock feature on .30-30s.

The other was while dove hunting in September. I wasn't looking where I was stepping, stupid I know, but I hear something and look down to see a small rattler coiled up ready to strike about 3' from my boot. 20 gauges from 3 feet do a lot of damage to snakes BTW.

CoRoMo
August 26, 2013, 02:34 PM
The short version...

I was deer hunting here in Colorado, in the back country, miles from the jeep-trail where I parked my truck, in winter, alone in deep snow, and I misjudged exactly which slope I was on and which one I came off. I was lost and spent a number of hours trying to find my way. I wasn't able to get it right by the time dark came so I had to makeshift a camp and set out the coldest, windiest night of my life. It was the second time that I ever laid my head down for the night, not really knowing if I'd make it through the night alive.

The same night, my wife had an equally terrifying experience when I didn't come home as planned.

lobo9er
August 26, 2013, 03:12 PM

The Grand Baboon
August 26, 2013, 03:58 PM
My family usually hunts elk in the mountains of Wyoming, but the first time my father ever took me elk hunting was when I was around 14 years old in Idaho.

About forty minutes outside of Idaho Falls there exists an elk feedground situated deep in the foothills to the west of the city. We had been told about the spot by a dearly beloved neighbor, and decided to do a scouting trip two weeks prior to the season opening. Sure enough, we spot around 200 head of elk and make plans for camp.

Two weeks later we head out the evening before the season starts to make camp at the spot previously selected.

This was our first time hunting in this area, so the terrain around us was completely new to us.

During the night, it seemed as if the entire herd of elk came down to the feedground area (not 50 yards from our camp) and spent the entire night barking and yipping, keeping myself, my younger brother, and my father awake all night.

We had a quick breakfast at 0500 and popped out of the tent to commence the hunt. The elk had moved on, but we could still hear them in the distance. It was still dark, and the light from the sun was barely coming over the horizion. Off to the east we saw a trail of lights on the road leading up to the camp. Apparently we were the only ones to actually camp on location, 98% of the other hunters slept in warm beds and then hoofed it out at 0400.

The terrain is rocky and full of sagebrush. It's quite obvious where the herd had gone, a trail of fresh poop and trampled grass made it easy to track. About a half an hour in, a fog starts to settle. The elk slow down and we start to catch up.

We followed the elk for about two hours, winding up and down draws, through sagebrush, and scrambling over rocks. Finally, at about 0700, my father spots a cow standing broadside in the mist about 75 yards away. She had separated herself from the herd and was listening for the rest of them while looking the other direction. The herd had started to travel down a decently sized hill into a large valley. My father took a quick offhand shot and dropped the cow, DRT.

As we were gutting the elk on the side of the hill all three of us heard gunshots reverberate through the valley. The road from the town eventually winds its way into the valley where all the elk had headed.

By now the majority of the fog had settled into the valley below us. We had a pretty clear view of the surrounding land, but not into the valley.

The next thing we all here is a loud *crack* and thud. Followed by a second, and a third. We hear some more *zips* and thuds further away. Another *crack* and thud hits the grassy hill beside us. I distinctly remember hearing the distinct "wzoooooo" of a ricochet bouncing off of a rock somewhere in the distance.

During this entire time, we hit the deck and prayed to God that we didn't get hit. The hillside in our general area had next to no cover, but lots of concealment. As a young boy who grew up seeing westerns and an occasional war flick, I thought being shot at was a trivial matter. This scared the living daylights out of me, my brother and father too. In the 40+ years of him hunting elk, he's never heard of or experienced such reckless and dangerous behavior.

The shots stopped just about as quickly as they started. In hindsight I'd say that the event took place over the course of a minute, but it seemed like an eternity at the time.

After my father shot the cow, the rest of the elk had traveled right down the spur of our hill to the "parking lot" area of the valley where most of the "hunters" had congregated. The hunters went hog wild, to say the least, probably jumping from their warm vehicles in a frenzy while the elk walked into plain sight. From our position it appeared that the "hunters" were shooting at just about anything that poked its unlucky head out of the mist. With the elk coming down the same spur that we were on, missed shots went high up the hill to our location. Elk aren't stupid, and they started back up the hill from where the came as soon as the shooting started. After coming up the hill they split off in another direction away from us.

At about 0900 to 1000 the fog lifted. By then we were packing the elk back to camp, which turned out to be about two miles from our location. During that time we saw multiple dead elk scattered around the area. People took shots, thought they missed (which in most cases it seemed they did) and tried to shoot again, only to hit another elk. We also met a lot of folk who I'd describe with words ranging from "outright poacher" to "probably should be on medication."

It was a scary and surreal day. The allure of an easy and carefree hunt had brought out the bottom of the barrel in humanity. I've vowed to myself to never do two things.

1. Go hunting in an area that can be accessed readily by vehicle.
2. Go hunting in an area that is within artillery distance of a major city.

sixgunner455
August 26, 2013, 07:12 PM
1 - I wasn't actually hunting, but ... I was in Afghanistan, and had been working with another unit on some things, and they kindly let me know that they had acquired some steaks and chickens and were going to light some fires and grill the meat, and when I should arrive to consume my share.

As I walked past their field sanitation "wee-wee" tube area, which was surrounded by stacks of sandbags, I was startled to see a *large*, coiled-up snake on one of the sandbags, glaring at me. I stepped back quickly and raised my weapon ... but the shiny black snake was not moving.

It seems that early that morning, a soldier from their unit had gone to do his business at the "wee-wee" tube, and this large, black cobra had coiled around the tube he selected to use, in order to gain some warmth from the decomposing material that had been deposited down the tube. He killed it with his 9mm when it rose up and flared its hood. He and his buddies then arranged it on the sandbags to startle passersby. :D

2 - Back home in AZ, I was hunting quail with my Brittany one fall, and she charged into some tall grass and weeds as we made our way toward a wash I wanted to hunt. I was trying to catch up to where she was bounding through the weeds (a little Brittany will bounce herself up several feet in the air to get a look at where she's going when the grass or weeds are too high) when I heard something rustling near my feet and then a rattling noise.

That was scary, but it wasn't quite as scary as nearly falling off the edge of the 15' drop over the side of the wash when I suddenly stopped running a few moments later. :D

We hunted up the wash, but walked back to the truck a different way.

3 - That dog is always finding stuff - rabbit legs, cat skulls, dead birds, etc. One time, she found a live black cat hiding in a bit of brush. Only, that particular cat seemed to have a white stripe on its back. Luckily, she will call off most things. Not usually rabbits, but that skunk had her confused, and it wasn't running away, so she decided to leave it there and go look for more birds with me.

4 - Hunting in a dry river bed with large cottonwoods and poplars overhanging the sand and so forth. The Brittany was running up and down the wash, nosing brush and so forth, but then stopped and started clinging to my legs. I got up to where she'd been when she turned around and came back to me, and saw some really, really big paw prints in the sand, resembling a cat's paw print. And me with a 20guage and a couple handfulls of #7 1/2 shot loads. We turned around and headed back to the truck, me scanning those big, heavy overhanging limbs a bit nervously.

Art Eatman
August 26, 2013, 11:07 PM
As near as I can tell, my night vision is generally better than most folks. The result is that I've always enjoyed meddling around in the boonies at night.

That includes pre-sunup. I'd had a bit of a poacher problem in my back woods, and figured to play wait-and-see, early one morning. Sure enough, I heard a fence-wire creak as somebody climbed over.

I was on an old haul-road, a jeep-trail sorta thing through the woods, and figured he'd likely come down it toward me. I guessed a right-handed fella, and so stood behind a large oak tree on the right side of his coming along the trail.

Have you any idea of how high a fella can levitate when a voice from maybe four feet away says, "GOOD MORNING!"

No argument whatsoever about returning to where he belonged. :D

morcey2
August 27, 2013, 12:10 AM
When I was 12 and my older brother dressed me as a "decoy" for the deer hunt. Neo in the matrix had nothing on me! :)

The scariest moment was actually when I got a deer right after I got married. Unfortunately, we got it with the front end if my grandpa's truck and we had a bunch of my brothers and cousins in the back of the truck. This was back in a time when that was fairly normal. The doe flew about 80 feet. One of my cousins had a minor head injury that looked a lot worse than it really was, but if he had been sitting on the bedrail like he was 30 seconds before impact would have been much, much worse.

Matt

HOOfan_1
August 27, 2013, 01:44 PM
Nothing to compare to most of the stories already told, but I was only 10 or 11 when this happened, so it was pretty scary at the time.

I was out spring gobbler hunting with my dad. The woods in which we were hunting are basically part of a flood plain for a river, and it had rained a lot that spring. So there were flooded areas all through the woods. I was going back to the truck to get some water or something and every time I thought I was going in the right direction, I would run smack dab into a flooded area. I eventually got so turned around, I had no idea where I was. This was before cell phones, or at least before they were more than just car phones. So I just had to yell at the top of my lungs until my dad came and found me. We had to basically trudge through the flood waters several times to get out of there.

ldlfh7
August 27, 2013, 03:55 PM
I was attacked by 5 grizzly bears once...Luckily I was able to beat them to death with my bare hands...no pun intended :D

Arkansas Paul
August 27, 2013, 03:59 PM
^ And you're now on my "don't screw with" list. lol

August 27, 2013, 08:17 PM
This involves fishing,so delete it if you want.Three of us were on a flats trip on the west coast of Florida. We were in an open 20 ft. boat 5 miles from the ramp.We went back in the reeds to a snook hole.Just when the fish were hitting,a storm rolled in behind us from the Gulf.We were the highest objects for miles.The boat accumulated water up to our ankles,the Lightning was so close it sizzled and you could smell it.The sound of it rolled away from us.We got down as low as we could and got soaked.When it eased up a little,we negotiated the narrow channel out of there and ran back to the ramp.The temp dropped and we were cold.The news showed a tornado that destroyed some buildings.

stressed
August 27, 2013, 10:10 PM
This involves hunting, I was in an area up north here. I was following some tracks (with correct orange) and a tree exploded about a foot from my head sending some bark dust into my eyes and face, followed by an echo of a distinct gunshot. I yelled out top lungs and cleared my eyes to get a look. Man was a good distance off, 60 or so yards on top of a hill (this was heavily forested area. He wasn't not wearing orange or in hunting gear). I then noticed another man run from his side, he stumbled back a bit and pumped his shotgun. I had a 9mm carbine slung and instinctively grabbed it and prepared it at the low ready. This area is known for meth labs due to it's remoteness, state land and the county's record high meth use. Needless to say, they man ran off, and may have been inebriated due to how he was running. I am sure he thought I may have been an animal, but I wasn't taking any chances on how many there were and if they were armed and with what. I never reported it, as I didn't think anything would be gained from doing so, however I hear about labs being there. My neighbor stumbled across an area with many guessing stolen ATVS and vehicles, and a stolen helicopter (yes, a helicopter) in the middle of the same forest. He notified authorities, although I am not sure if any arrests were made.

BP Hunter
August 28, 2013, 06:57 PM
I don't know if this is scary for you but it was for me.

Once I lived in deep South Texas huting just a few hundred yards north of the RIo Grande river. I was in my buddy's 200 acre ranch. It was opening day for bowhunting for deer. In TX, it was illegal to carry a firearm when hunting during bow season. I usually hunt alone. That morning I had this weird gut feeling that I "needed" to bring my rifle. I did and left it in the truck while I hiked to my huting ground blind. AFter a few hours early in the morning, I hiked back to my truck and saw 3 individuals who obviously looked liked they crossed the river from south of us. I knew who the people around my hunting area and I did not recognize these guys. They were blocking my only locked exit of the ranch. They asked for water but I waved them to go away. I was alone with my truck and they were 3. After not leaving, I grabbed my rifle and handed them my bottled water. They walked away and never looked back. I waited for awhile before I locked the gate, then left.

1KPerDay
August 28, 2013, 07:23 PM
I hiked a 9,000 foot slope of Utah shale going after Devil Birds (chukkar)... I felt like puking and my legs were shaking. Near the summit I was 80 yards away as I witnessed about 50 of the little demons lifting off and mooning me as they laughed their cocky little laughs at me, zooming down to the bottom of the mountain.

I THOUGHT I WAS GONNA DIE!

tahunua001
August 28, 2013, 07:38 PM
my scariest? walk up on my bear bait to find two bears there.
I shoot, and subsequently miss because I misjudged my holdover.
5 minutes later, two NEW bears show up!
(now knowing the proper holdover) I shoot at one of them and know I hit it.... but MY GUN IS JAMMED!

so I had to walk back to my truck to grab my backup gun and then walk back in and track my bear knowing that there were 3 other bears in the vicinity!

that's the best I got.

stressed
August 28, 2013, 10:49 PM
my scariest? walk up on my bear bait to find two bears there.
I shoot, and subsequently miss because I misjudged my holdover.
5 minutes later, two NEW bears show up!
(now knowing the proper holdover) I shoot at one of them and know I hit it.... but MY GUN IS JAMMED!

so I had to walk back to my truck to grab my backup gun and then walk back in and track my bear knowing that there were 3 other bears in the vicinity!

that's the best I got.

Perfect example of why a 30 round capacity magazine should be legal at least stored for hunting, for when you encounter three very angry and hungry bears. ;)

What exactly happened to jam? FTE,FTL/C,FTF? double feed/stovepipe? mag problem? Weapon type and caliber?

BigBore44
August 29, 2013, 01:55 AM
I've been shot at 5 separate times. Twice with rifles. Three times with shotguns. Hit (peppered) twice. Almost drowned after our 12 ft. duck boat decided it wasn't capable to handle rough water. Stared down a big boar hog at maybe 15 ft. Had to jump out of a tree about 18 feet up when the bottom of my treestand broke while standing up to shoot. But I don't have a story that comes close to H&H's elephant charge. I always am so calm during the actual crisis. It's afterwards, during reflection than I get shaky sometimes. I can only imagine that charge.....

leadcounsel
August 29, 2013, 04:05 AM
Not hunting, but scary experiences in mother nature...

Circa 2002 or so, my married friends John and Megan and I went on a hike and camp in the Colorado Rockies. I had a 12 gauge pump gun with me for critter protection and .357 magnum. We got off to a very late start and erected our 2 tents in the dark (one for me, one for them). We are in an open field area, at the edge of a small stream and small lake, and definitely in bear territory. We cooked a meal and it started to storm so we hurriedly got in our respective tents. Windy rainy night... O-dark-30, I awake to loud and repeated snorting coming from inside our tent perimeter. John is deaf and cannot hear it. Megan also doesn't hear it, but I swear it's happening. This goes on for what feels like forever, and we are shouting back and forth from inside our tents. More snorting. I swear I am certain there is a bear just outside my tent door. More snorting. Finally, I muster the courage to investigate. I rack a shell and with my headlamp on, I warn them to stay in their tent and I slowly unzip my tent. I expect to be face to face with a bear. Nothing there. It is pitch dark and my light can barely penetrate the darkness. More snorting coming from behind my friends' tent. I swear there is a bear there. I start moving around that way expecting to blast a bear. Nothing is there. Then it becomes apparent the snorting is my friend John clearing his sinuses - Since he's deaf and couldn't hear what I was hearing, and Megan is so accustomed to it she has blocked it out and doesn't even register it. DOH!!!! That was an extremely intense 10 minutes.

When I was about 12 years old, two friends and I were walking on the ice covered edge of a class 2 or 3, wide, deep and powerfully cold Michigan river called the Grand River. In the winter it swells and develops a real powerful undercurrent, and sometimes the edges frost and freeze over with a thin layer of ice. We were walking about 1/3rd of the way out... extremely dangerous. I broke through the ice. I looked death in the face for a few minutes as my friend and savior Joey pulled me to safety. I dodged the icey hand of death that day thanks to his courage of staying on the ice and pulling me out. I had no business surviving that incident. We were 1/3rd of the way out on the ice and had I gone under, I wouldn't have lasted 30 seconds.

v8stang289
August 29, 2013, 10:25 PM
Mine is very tame compared to most up here. When I was 13 or so, me and my dad were hunting a piece of land that we accessed by taking our small boat down river and going up into a creek a ways. It was mid December and in the low 30's. We were standing on the edge of the bank beside the boat when I lost my footing and slid down the bank into the water. I slid right under the boat but caught the rail with my right hand and kept my head above water. In my left hand held above my head I was clutching my Marlin 336. My Dad got into the boat and pulled me out. He was happy I was ok and happy that I didn't drop the gun into the water. It scared the heck out of me and that ride home up river with soaked clothes was the coldest I ever remember being.

tahunua001
August 30, 2013, 04:11 PM
Perfect example of why a 30 round capacity magazine should be legal at least stored for hunting, for when you encounter three very angry and hungry bears.

What exactly happened to jam? FTE,FTL/C,FTF? double feed/stovepipe? mag problem? Weapon type and caliber?
I had my 45ACP with 13 HPs and FMJs alternated but not knowing how much adrenaline these bears would have I felt better with a full powered rifle cartridge in my hands. I was using a type 44 arisaka carbine in 6.5x50mm and it was a mechanical failure with a bar that disengages the trigger until the bolt is completely shut. I've since fixed the issue but at the time the bolt was completely seized.
everything turned out good. the bear barely made it to the treeline before he dropped so I didn't have to track at all and I only had to drag the bugger about 100 yards to my truck... luckily for me, I was very out of shape at the time.
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p563/tahunua001/100_1529_zps77c9d494.jpg

and for what it's worth, 30 rounders are legal in idaho, I just didn't feel like packing my SKS or ARs out that day so I took my 243 as a backup.

swampcrawler
August 30, 2013, 11:57 PM
Good lord. I feel like less of a woodsman now... Never experienced anything close to most of this.

duck911
August 31, 2013, 12:50 AM
8 or 9 years ago, I went duck hunting the morning after a strong storm here in Colorado.

The storm dumped 3 feet on the eastern plains. If I recall, it was Dec 3rd, and I know for sure it was -8 below with some wind, as I walked out to a spot on the Platte river near Sterling, about two miles from my truck, alone.

When I reached my spot, I was on top of a cut bank, and looked down at the sandbar with my headlamp to find a soft sandy spot to jump onto, right next to the ice ledge that had formed on the water. I took the 2 1/2 foot leap down, but the sand had been wet, so instead of the soft landing I anticipated, I hit ROCK HARD and snot-slick sand. My feet immediately went out from under me, and I pitched forward, broke through the ice, and into the South Platte. As I pitched forward, my knees cracked into the bank (read: extreme pain), my shotgun went under water, and I ended up drenched.

To this day I can remember pulling my shotgun out of the water and watching in awe as my headlamp shined in it: it froze from one tip to the other, solid, in 5 seconds, right before my eyes, and the ice continued up my gloved hands, up my sleeves, to my shoulders. In 20 seconds, I was an ice block.

Unfortunately for me, it was 10 minutes before shoot time. Had it been an hour before sunrise, I would have headed back to the truck for SURE. It was a pretty cold and dangerous situation.

But, the skies had opened up and mallards were working the river right in front of me, and a hot water slough behind me. THOUSANDS of mallards bombed the river. To this day I have never seen a morning like it.

I shoved my frozen (empty) shotgun down my waders to defrost it. I finally broke the action open, and cleared the barrel with a stick. The magazine tube was solid ice.

I was finally able to take my first shot 30 minutes into daylight - my Rem 870 having turned into a single shot. Watching those mallards while I dry humped my shotgun to defrost it was torture.

I was so cold I could only manage to throw out 3 decoys. But I shot a limit of mallards in the next 15 minutes, one shell at a time. Each miss was AGONIZING. After the last one splashed down, I grabbed my gear, and HAULED AZZ to the truck.

By the time I was in the truck my body was shutting down, shivering, and the fingertips on my right hand were waxy, white, and numb. Worse, I had to head straight into work, and had no chance to warm up with a shower. To this day, my fingers on that hand are sensitive to cold.

Looking back on it now, it was a great hunt. Also stupid as hell.

Then there was the time in North Dakota, outside of Kenmare. It was o-dark thirty, I was alone miles from anyone within earshot, and 1,000 miles from home from a wife who didn't expect to hear from me for another week.

I was walking in thigh deep water along a slough, in waders, loaded with decoys. My right leg dropped into what I think was a beaver hole that had no bottom. My momentum carried me forward and I damn near broke my leg off in the hole. More alarmingly, the drop brought the water up to my chin. I was an inch away from drowning, and had no traction/leverage to get myself out. Long story short, after about 5 minutes of struggling I was able to use my shotgun to push myself out of the hole, and to safety.

I've had a few other close calls (damn near lost it down a cliff on Deer Creek in California while hunting mountain quail, almost drown while duck hunting at Sacramento NWR, nearly flipped a boat in a raging flood coming down a slough on the Sacramento River in the middle of winter, etc, etc).

Keeps a guy on his toes!! :D

splattergun
August 31, 2013, 02:10 AM
oops

tightgroup tiger
August 31, 2013, 10:26 AM
Mother nature experience, no animals involved but I was scouting out a new hunting area on my atv and when I got close to the river reservoir I notice they had let most of the water out of the river apparently to work on the dam.

The mud looked dried out and cracked open in pads the size of frying pans. I poked around at them with a stick and they seemed stable enough, I stepped out on the dried up mud and well it seemed to be solid.

I drive out onto this and can see another old logging or railroad clearing down the river that I didn't know was there, Every thing is going great so I drive down to it and everything is still going well.
I notice how beautiful the scenery was so I stopped and paused for a minute to take it in. When I went to start moving again I noticed my atv didn't want to go. It had slightly sunk with depressions in the mud under the tires. Nothing bad, I got off of it to look for something like small pieces of drift wood to use to get it moving again. I took ahold of the grab bar on the back of my machine to lift and the crust broke and went up to my armpits in back foul smelling soup. If I wouldn't have had ahold of the grab bar I would have gone clear under.
The mud acted as a vacuum under me pulling me down on me.
Suddenly panic took me over and I realized how stupid I was to go out there in the first place, but to late now!
I still had a hold of the grab bar on the back of the ATV and tried to pull my self back out. I could see the back of the ATV start moving while I was doing this so I stopped and just hung there trying to think of how I'm going to get myself out of this one. I started working my way back up by leaning backwards and working my legs.
I finally got worked up out of the muck and was covered with it to my arm pits. I crawled up the shore line like I was on thin ice and made it to the bank exhausted. Man did that muck stink. I found enough drift wood to re-enforce a trail back down to my ATV and went after it. It was still sitting on top of the crust and I was able to drive it back up out of there.

Definitely the stupidest thing I have ever done hunting, scouting, or other wise.

Another incident, this time not stupidity.
Another time I ruined a new shot gun small game hunting when I stepped in vent hole for an abandoned limestone mine that had grown over with bramble. It was a 2'x2' framed hole that went down 20' into the ground. I was carrying my shotgun with both hands and went I fell the shotgun was long enough to catch both sides and stop me and was the only thing hold me up. It bent the hell out of it but I was unhurt so I crawled back out of the hole, looked at my bent up shotgun and started to shake.
I very carefully started looking around the area for more holes while walking out of there and walked into a large depression in the woods. I looked at the other end of this depression and there was an entrance large enough to drive a semi- truck into. This mine had been abandoned for years from the looks of the area.

I left the area and never hunted there again.

Forest, Jefferson, and Clarion PA counties (and a lot more) were just riddled with old coal and limestone mines that were never recorded or reclaimed.

I never had problems with the black bears in our area, I just ignored them and they ignored me.

TRMIN8R
September 4, 2013, 12:17 AM
This happened in deep East Texas,(Wood County).

While walking to my deer stand early in the am, well before sunrise, I could hear something in the woods. Figured it was a squirrel, rabbit, or 'yote. Got to my stand, could hear what sounded like a growl VERY close. My deer stand had one window in the front, so that's where my .270 was pointed lol. The growl went away......then about 30 yards from my stand I hear this crazy loud screaming, REALLY loud and like nothing I'd ever heard. When the sun came up I got out to investigate. I found very large cat tracks. Still not knowing what it was (I was about 16 at the time), I asked my grandpa when he picked me up if he heard the same. That's when he told me it was a panther screaming. Went back and looked around, found panther tracks all around my stand and parallel with my path to my stand.

Never walked to or from a stand on that lease ever again lol.

Zardaia
September 4, 2013, 12:30 AM
Sliding all the way down backwards in a vehicle from 3/4 of the way up a frozen hill, with steep drops on either side. Managed to keep it straight, new driver at the time. Parked it at the bottom and walked in, so slick I could barely make it up on foot.

KC45
September 4, 2013, 01:32 PM
About 20 years ago I was hunting for hog in a hammock early in the morning with my brother. We were about 300 yards away from each other, him up in a tree stand and me sitting under a large oak tree.

About an hours into the hunt I didn't see or hear anything but the early morning strong coffee was kicking in so I felt the need to empty my bladder and maybe empty my colon soon. I leaned my rifle against the oak tree and walked over to a tree about 20 feet away and unzip and start peeing... holding my weener in my left hand and holding up my pants with the right hand.

Just as I start I hear a sound to my right and I look to see the biggest black/gray hog I've ever seen stare at me from 50 feet away. In the excitement he looked to be about 350 lb. with large lower tuskers so in reality he was probably about 250 lb. I dropped my pants and grabbed the revolver from my shoulder holster with my right hand and pointed the 357 mag revolver at the hog one handed. We stare at each other for about 5 seconds (felt like minutes) before he slowly turns left and walk down the trail. In the mean time I'm still peeing as you all know how hard it is to stop in mid stream. After he walk away I took a deep breath of relief. As I look down to pull up my pants I realize I had pee on my pants and there were couple of brown Hershey squirts on the pants too... and I had no toilet paper on me but did have a brown scarf. I sacrificed that brown scarf.

Needless to say my brother tells that story to everybody every chance he gets.

H&Hhunter
September 4, 2013, 08:25 PM
What a crappy story...;)

Geno
September 6, 2013, 11:50 PM
I don't know which of the following two was more unnerving:

1) staring-down a Russian boar at about 12 feet, and being armed with a Colt, WWI 1911, .45 ACP. Three shots to drop it. Never again. I'll go back to an Encore pistol in .444 Marlin or Encore pistol in .45-70 Gov't.

--or--

2) nearly getting run-down by a 7-point whitetail. I had fired on it twice. I know I hit it. But the thing did not react at all. At the last second, I dove right, and the deer leapt to his right. We missed by maybe 12 feet. I pulled the trigger of a Weatherby Mark V, .300 Win Mag shooting shotgun style. There was no time to acquire the target in crosshairs. As it leapt into the air, the bullet struck the deer's left shoulder. It came down on its antlers, did a cartwheel, breaking off one side of its antlers, and was expired. When I got home, I examined the remaining rounds...I de-capped a couple. In error, I had grabbed the 168 grain Match projectiles. I suspect that the first two rounds simply passed through not expanding at all. Visually, they looked no different than the 165 grain HPs beside them.

Geno

Lennyjoe
September 7, 2013, 04:01 PM
Back in 1993 while hunting off the edge of a clear cut Southeast of Tacoma, Washington, I was shot at 3 times. Had a tree stand in the timbers just off the edge by the creek and I seen a red truck about 700 yds away come up a logging road and stopped. Sat there for about 15 minutes when a guy got out of the cab and rested his rifle on the truck bed. I then started looking around the clear cut to see what he was aiming at when the first shot went off and I heard the bullet fly through the branches above me. Second shot was a bit closer and by then I trained my rifle his direction. Third shot hit the tree about 15 ft above me. I proceeded to return fire and he got the point when I think I hit the bed of the truck. He ran around the front, got in the truck and took off.

My buddy came up about 15 minutes later asking what the hell I was shooting at and I told him. We got in our truck and looked for him but never found the guy and the red truck. Needless to say, we never went back there.

As for why he was shooting at me, no idea. The land wasn't private but maybe it was his favorite hunting grounds and he didn't like me being there. I had an orange hat on and he maybe had an idea of where we were based on where we parked off of the road.

CA Raider
September 7, 2013, 04:36 PM
have to agree that going through ice into freezing water is a bad experience.
I was up in the high Sierras many years ago ... mid winter. not hunting. i was looking for some friends doing an alpine climb - but did not locate them. worked my way down a snow slope with some brush and suddenly went through ice into water. stupid, stupid, stupid. would have been bad if it was a deep pool, because there was no-one around but me. lucky the stream was shallow. i pulled myself out of there, waded through waist-deep snow and got back to my pickup. stripped off and got some warm clothes on. fortunately, I was not too far from the vehicle.

it really pays to have someone else around in freezing conditions.

CA R

tahunua001
September 7, 2013, 05:16 PM
during my first elk season last year we were up on the mountain, unusually warm and dry for the mountain in november but it still rarely peaked past 40 degrees. I ended up crashing through a sheet of ice into a rain water collection bin out in the middle of nowhere. luckily the bin was only about 2 1/2 feet deep and I was wearing gators over wool pants. I was wet from just below the knee to about halfway up the thigh and my boots filled with water from wicking down the wool pants. good thing about wool pants, even when wet still held a bit of warm and my older brother's and BILs constant heckling over falling through the ice kept me moving so I didn't go extremely hypothermic, still sat in front of the tent stove for most of the night when we got back but I wasn't shivering too bad.

CajunBass
September 8, 2013, 08:41 AM
Many years ago, when I was just a pup, and knew little and nothing about what I was doing, I was bow-hunting in the Pocohantas State Forest for deer. I was on the ground, with my back to a tree..it was about "dusty-dark" when suddenly I heard a CHUFFF noise behind me. The hair on the back of my head stood up. I gripped my bow tighter. My eyes were as big as coffee saucers in the black/gree/brown of my camo makeup I'm sure. Another CHUFF...then another...then it started to move...chuff, chuff, chuff...it sounded like a steam locomotive.

My logical side was telling me...It's nothing here that will hurt you." The goofy, scared, kid side was telling me...It's the Boggy Creeks Monster's bigger, uglier brother."

In a few seconds later, an old doe came out of the Laurel thicket huffing and puffing.

I had never heard a deer snort before. I'm not sure I even knew they COULD snort. :D

Now, if you wanted to talk about being scared in a bass boat...I got a few of those.

hatzing
September 8, 2013, 01:26 PM
When I was a kid I went hunting with my uncle, I was a beginner at the time and never saw a bear in my life, until the day I finally seen one. I was shaking in my boots but it turns out they are not so bad after all, and if you leave them alone. They will do the same for you.

bhhacker
September 9, 2013, 01:54 AM
My story happened almost a year ago today. Some buddies of mine went to a place called admiralty cove cabin up here in Juneau Alaska to hunt blacktail deer. Its on Admiralty island which is known for its brown bear population of 2-3 per square mile. I having just moved up here from Texas had my trusty 30-30 and my Glock 27 on my hip. Not the best combo for being out in Brownie territory but i used what i had.

My buddies had done a little partying that first night and had a few too many sodas the night before. When it was time to go out in the AM no one wanted to come with me. Now this place is only accessible by boat which is something i didnt own at the time, so i was going to go out and bag me a deer come hell or high water. I loaded my rifle and took it for a walk.

I was about 2 miles away from camp all by myself with not another soul around for miles. It was very quiet, serene, peaceful. I had almost given up on seeing anything when i turned the corner of the trail and heard something. I was so excited thinking it was a deer that when i rounded that corner and saw a Brown bear i almost pooped myself!

It was in some berry bushes about 30 feet away. It looked pretty busy so i thought i would be able to back off slowly without it knowing i was there. WRONG. I backed up and it turned around and stared at me. At this point I knew it was a brown bear, it was huge, and it was very close to me. I had to fight every ounce of instinct i had not to run away. I said "Hey bear" in as calm a voice as i could. It looked at me and stood up.

At this point im more than a little frightened. I wouldnt have much time at all to deal with a charge and i raise my hands as far above my head as i can and acknowledge the bear once again with a "whoa bear." I havent moved an inch.

This dang bear gets back on its fours and then it does something that REALLY creeps me out. It gets really low. The only way i can describe it is that it was like a cat ready to pounce on something, but hasnt quite bounded onto it yet. just really low to the ground and it takes a step....forward....toward me.

At this point i still have my arms up and faster than i could have ever done on my own i have that marlin shouldered and my irons on that bear and i say "NO BEAR" and i mean it. At this point it is still sizing me up, I have my freaking 30-30 beaded on a brown bear thats 30 feet away from me, with my friends most likely still passed out about 2 miles away and reality hits me. I could very well get eaten and thats the end. Me being all alone i make up the decision that if it takes one step further im going to shoot and have to tussle with this brownie.

I knew for a fact that i would get one, MAYBE two shots if i was lucky before it was on me but i had my glock on my hip and i swear to god i would give him the worst case of indigestion i could if he wanted it.

Id like to think that the bear knew my mindset when i unslung the rifle, and didnt flinch. He huffed a little bit which is usually a sign of them psyching themselves up to do something which made me even more nervous but i didnt back down. just waited for it to move with forward or back.

It turned away and ran after that. I think i walked backwards 2 miles straight and got back to camp so much faster than my trek out there!

I kicked myself later about this and to this day, i hunt out there in tandem or a larger group. That island is spooky as all get out.

22-rimfire
September 9, 2013, 06:24 PM
Scariest moment hunting was when I was 15 or 16 hunting public lands in PA for whitetail. I was stationed at a stratigic location at the head of a hollow with a sloping wooded bench behind me below the top of the mountain. The "spot" allowed me to hunt pretty much 360 degrees around me. I hear brush/leaves cracking/crunching behind me. I get ready and see "legs" (deer legs)..... probably 75 yds from me. I'm scoping the legs hoping to see a legal buck.... all of a sudden shots rang out directed right at me. The buck drops and starts to crawl through the woods toward me.... shots keep firing... I get behind a large tree and stay put. The buck crawled with 20 yds of me and died. I was a bit irratated with the shooting.... the other hunter did not know I was there and was not in the least concerned that he had been shooting wildly in my direction. Instead he's afraid I'm going to try to claim the deer as mine. The guy was a butt. I got out of there.

Have had quite a few rattlesnake encounters in the woods. Never been bit. Been struck at. Have stepped across a rattlesnake. Not fun. That Cobra story was a bit errie. Guys I used to work with used to station dead coiled rattlesnakes where they knew I would walk. I got used to it and didn't react much while they were all giggling like kids.

Black bear charges scare the you know what out of me. Had that experience a few times in the woods.

A tiny bobcat kitten scared the you know what out of me when I tried to catch it with my hands. I can't imagine what it would feel like to face a real lion on foot.

CoRoMo
September 9, 2013, 06:38 PM
Almost forgot about this one...
A couple years ago on our annual elk hunt in the backcountry...

We always pack/hike in, several difficult miles, to the same spot, and we've only ever seen one or two hunters make it to that spot over all the years we've been camping there. So Dad and I set up camp for the first night and went to bed in each of our tents. Excitement kept me from going to sleep and I would occasionally turn on my light to check the time.

It was just past midnight when I hear footsteps coming right through our camp. Midnight, way out in the middle of the dark nowhere of mountainous backcountry. Two guys with flashlights walk right through our camp, and step less than two feet from my flesh, only my tent wall between me and them as they walk right by. Quietly and without a word.

22-rimfire
September 9, 2013, 10:33 PM
KC. Always Always carry TP or paper towels when hunting. :D A lot of us have stories along that line if you hunt much. It is one of the reasons I don't think the scent thing is as big a deal as some make it out to be. But a trophy might well be experienced enough to avoid you due to the scent.

BigBore44
September 12, 2013, 07:16 AM
I had shared a few experiences at the top of this page but here is another. Probably the most scared I've ever been in the woods. A story that to some wouldn't seem like a big deal......

I had decided to go trekking through the woods one day. I love to do that. Just throw on my 44, backpack with a little food and plenty of water for a day out. Had a big patch (several thousand acres) of timber ridges, creeks, and bottom lands I wanted to go check out. Now remember this is Oklahoma. We have pretty big black bears (one killed last year topping 600lbs), and mountain lions. I've heard one lion while camping, but only saw my first one while driving back from Fayetteville AR by Lake Weddington about 3 months ago. This incident happened probably 2 years ago.

Anyways, I'm out having a great time. Nice little 5-10 mph breeze, seeing lots of deer, a few turkeys, and I'm covering some ground. I was out about 8 hours and decided I'd had enough for the day. So I start heading back. It's NOT dark but I would say it's evenings s coming on. I have my flashlight should I need it and I have cell signal and plenty of battery so my GPS is good and I have my truck marked. Basically I have all my bases covered.

Decided I could use a swig of water so I stop to take my bottle of water out of my pack to get a drink. I just get the cap off and my body goes primal. The hair on the back of my neck stands straight up. My hearing becomes amplified 10x. My eyesight which is already really good becomes even clearer and sharper. And I am absolutely terrified. Usually when I get the feeling of something watching me in the woods I just turn my head one direction and 9.8 times out of 10 I look straight into the eyes of whatever is looking at me be it a fox, coyote, or usually deer. This time I see nothing. I do a deliberate, but controlled 360 scanning everything high and low.... Nothing. But I know it's there. And it's watching..... This isn't a person. And it sure as hell isn't a deer, fox or yote. My 6th sense is telling me I'm in REAL danger.

I dropped my water, and in one motion cleared leather, cocked the hammer, and went to the low ready. I'm scanning everywhere. I hear everything. I can smell everything the wind is blowing my way. All I want is to go home. But I can't. My body is telling me that I'm not moving, not yet. I sat there, heart pounding, scanning everything for the better part of 15 minutes. But it seemed like an eternity. Then, just as fast as it came on, the feeling just went away. I gathered my pack, and my spilled water bottle, and went back to my truck with a little hurriedness.

To this day I have no idea what it was. But there isn't a doubt in my mind that when that feeling came over me, I had just become potential prey for something. And that my friends is an awful feeling.

The_Armed_Therapist
September 12, 2013, 12:28 PM
This is officially the coolest thread EVER. Thanks for the stories!

I only have one non-hunting, but wilderness story to tell. Me and a few other people were riding some ATVs through the mountains, and got to this cool little "hidden" place. We started out in the middle of nowhere, but this place was dead center of nowhere in a little valley of sorts, about an hour's ride to "base." Well, I was going a little too fast and not paying enough attention to potential dangers... I started riding up this rock that was shaped like a quarter pipe (though I didn't realize it at the time) I flew through the air and started to basically do a back flip before landing on the ground in front of the rock with the 4-wheeler on top of me.

My leg (right shin) HURT. I was sure in that moment that I had likely broken it. My ribs, arms, back, etc., were also very sore, but not as bad as the leg. I tried moving the 4-wheeler off of me, but could only budge it in one direction until I couldn't budge it anymore. I wasn't sure where the others were at. I feared that they would assume I went off on my own and not even come looking for me until who knows how long. It wasn't dusk or anything, but it was probably 5 or 6 pm in the summer, a few hours from dark. I started thinking about how I could be out there all night, or perhaps longer, and about the wild critters who would take an interest in me. All I had on me was a Kel-Tec P32 in my right pocket.

Well, I yelled for a good 10 minutes as loudly as I could, but nothing. After about 30 minutes, I heard engines approaching, so I started yelling again. They were able to spot me from about 50 yards away, rushed over, and helped me up. To my surprise, I could walk (though, with a heavy limp) on my leg, and it was not broken. I was badly bruised, but all was well. We rode back!

I have to say that while I was starting to get scared, the adrenaline and fear were intoxicating. In a weird way, that incident was the most fun I had that whole summer. HAHAHA

The_Armed_Therapist
September 12, 2013, 12:38 PM
Now, if you wanted to talk about being scared in a bass boat...I got a few of those.

Absolutely!

jrdolall
September 12, 2013, 12:42 PM
I ain't skeered o' nothing.

I have a couple of underwear changing stories involving turkey hunting.
It has probably happened to a lot of people but several years ago I set up on a roosted tom and started my soft calling only to glance to my left after a few minutes and see a monstrous bobcat standing maybe 10 feet away from me It really was a very large male and I have the hide to prove it. Even if I hadn't shot the cat my day was ruined because it scared the crap out of me(not literally but almost).
On another turkey hunt I sat up to begin a calling sequence and had about a 6' eastern diamondback crawl almost across the toes of my boots right after it got good light. I had to let him crawl right past me, which he did without stopping, until he got far enough away for me to shoot him. I am not scared of snakes at all and will often catch them and move them to other areas but this one had my skin literally crawling.
During deer season 3 years ago I had a large owl, I don't know my owls so can't say what kind, land on a limb maybe 2 feet away from me and I didn't know he was there until he was in the act of landing. I scared him worse than he scared me.
Last year a squirrel actually jumped from the oak tree I was hunting in and attempted to land on the barrel of my rifle. That one caused me to scream like a little girl but it made me realize I was well camouflaged, still and quiet.

jrdolall
September 12, 2013, 12:43 PM
To this day I have no idea what it was. But there isn't a doubt in my mind that when that feeling came over me, I had just become potential prey for something. And that my friends is an awful feeling.
Chupacabra!

brainwake
September 12, 2013, 12:44 PM
Sasquatch!

BigBore44
September 12, 2013, 12:58 PM
It's funny you say Sasquatch actually. I don't believe he exists. But the town 9 miles north of me is the #1 place in the world for sightings of Bigfoot. No joke. The funny thing is there isn't a damn thing there but pastures and cattle. Bigfoot couldn't hide if he wanted to. I was about 20 miles south of town.

brainwake
September 12, 2013, 01:05 PM
I do my hunting near Jay. So I am pretty close to you. I have to say...I am not much of a believer either. We would see some dead squatches eventually. Most people in that area are believers though. Seems like everyone has a story. But I have seen big ol bobcats and mountain lions on deer cams. I haven't personally seen any bear, but don't doubt it.

witchhunter
September 13, 2013, 04:44 PM
I wasn't a believer either until I saw one. Scared the @#@#$ out of me. I don't blame people for not believing in Bigfoot. There is a good argument for not. However, I don't know a single person that has had an encounter that does not believe now...

SimplyChad
September 13, 2013, 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBore44 View Post

Sasquatch!

I actually just had a conversation about this last with a guy who does big foot tours. Now understand I am very skeptical of people like him but he offered me a free trip to where there are sightings so I kept a mild interest.
His words about being near a sasquatch were almost exactly the same as what you described. Might just be fight or flight but who knows.

K1500
September 15, 2013, 05:06 AM
A long time ago I had a drunk drive by our remote hunting camp while everyone (about 8 folks total) was sitting by the campfire. I was just a kid of about 19 or 20, but I instantly got a bad vibe from the dude. I went to my truck to get away from him. He pulled out a pistol grip shotgun and began waving it in the general direction of came. That was the closest I ever came to needing a gun in the woods for defense. I was prone under the truck with my hunting rifle, a pre 64 Winchester .30-30. He was just 'messing with us' but it could have got ugly. Oddly, I was the only one who left the ring of illumination cast by the fire to seek cover and a firearm. I felt like I responded well, but I would have liked to have a sidearm on my person instead of in the truck with the rifle. Live and learn.

montanaoffroader
September 25, 2013, 12:33 AM
I once had a friend open up on a deer.......that was standing directly between us. He emptied his Winchester 94 and never actually hit the deer or me, but he scared the %@$# out of me.

After I gave him an earful, we headed back down to the car. Along the way, he saw a squirrel run out and opened up again. On the last shot, he actually hit the squirrel.....the previous rounds having hit a picnic table, an outhouse (twice), and the hood of his car, none of which he saw when he was shooting. It took a great deal of restraint to keep from wrapping the barrel of that 94 around his neck.

Also, I once fell out of a redwood tree when going after a crow. Fortunately there were many branches between me and the ground, so I only free fell the last 12 feet or so.

jim in Anchorage
September 25, 2013, 09:21 PM
Fly in float out hunt for moose in Alaska. Remote river no roads or even trails. Just me, solo hunt. Pre sat phone, no commutation. Shoot a moose first day, spend next two cutting it up and packing it into the raft. My pick up point is 15 miles down river were a logging road hit the river. I badly underestimated my time to float out and left at noon. Get's dark at 8. Well at 7:30 I realize no way I'm going to make it. So [thank God] I found a sand bar I can pull the raft up on. Mind you I've got a raft full of moose meat and it's my only means of getting out of there.
Guys that was the most bear infested place in Alaska I've ever seen. That sand bar did not have a square foot that did not have a bear track. Big bears, little bears. I spent the entire night firing my .22 pistol into the air to let the bears know I was there with my 30-06 in my lap.
Most beautiful dawn I've ever seen. Took off at first light and floated 4 hours to my take out point.

RetiredUSNChief
September 25, 2013, 10:18 PM
Not a personal story, as I've been fortunate enough not to encounter the dread Rabbit of Caerbannog during any of my small game and varmint hunting.

However, one of my older brothers was deer hunting in the NC mountains once upon a time, properly decked out in bright hunter orange for the trip. He was leaning against a big ole Oak tree, looking down a valley when a jeep pulled up in the valley. Guy got out with a rifle mounting a scope that my brother described as "able to count the hairs on a fly's *ss at a hundred yards".

Guy looked right at him through the scope and put a bullet in the tree right above my brother's head.

Being a wee bit perturbed at being shot at, my brother put a few 30-30 slugs into the guy's jeep, prompting him to scramble and leave.

A few hours later a game warden came through the area. Evidently the other guy reported having been shot at and he was following up on it. My brother said "Yeah, I saw the guy you're talking about." He described what happened, showed him the tree he was standing at with the tiny hole, and admitted to shooting back at the guy's jeep.

Game warden's response? "That's about what I thought happened."

Then he left.

Whether people think my brother's response was right or wrong, I'm just thankful he's still alive and well nearly 4 decades later.

Dinosaur1
October 9, 2013, 01:43 PM
Not actually hunting but getting ready to. Many years ago just before archery season BC (before compounds) I decided Iwould learn to bow hunt. With a rummage sale bow and three gen-u-whine Fred Bear cedar arrows ( points came glued on in those days) I set up two bales of straw in a vacant lot next to my father-in-laws place and begin to shoot. Next door to the lot lived a woman everyone called Lucky. Handsome woman, sturdy built, large chested. Worked in the medical field in some capacity. Not married, no kids. Apparently my shooting drew her attention and she came out on her veranda with a glass of tea to watch the goin's on. She was wearing a yellow pattern house dress of the kind common in those days. Barefoot. As I shot, one of my arrows slid between the bales and went off into the grass so I went to look for it. As I kicked an moved the grass around I bumped a field mouse nest and a large one came out and jumped on the toe of my boot. It looked at me and I at it for a second or so and then I shook my boot to knock it off but instead of jumping off, it went up my pant leg. I dropped the bow and began to do a little happy dance to shake the mouse out. I was afraid to grab it lest it bite me. I wear boxer shorts so the door to the vault was open and in an instant the mouse was in with the family jewels. While gerbils n' rats n' such running around in your shorts may be common in Calif. and D.C., here in Mi. It was cause for alarm. Casting all modesty aside I began to de-pants myself right there. While still dancing and struggling with my belt I took a step or two backwards and fell on my back. Now, Lucky seen the whole deal from about 50 ft. and presumed from the dancing and falling that I was having a seizure of some sort and instantly came to my aid. Suddenly, as I lay there with my belt and trousers loosened there was a large woman on top of me, yelling for help trying to jam something in my mouth to keep me from swallowing my tongue. Since my pants were loose and he was being squashed the mouse made his escape up under my sweatshirt, out the neck and on to Lucky's chest. Lucky had dread fear mice and immediately rolled off onto her back screaming, "Get him off me! Get him off me!" I got up on my knees then and with pants still drooping and between Lucky's legs began to try to keep the dang mouse from going down her dress. Into this mess, drawn by Lucky's original call for help, came my wife (Ex now), from her father's garage. As I lay in the ER (getting stitches in my head) I considered how fortunate I was that the old man only had a shop broom in the garage and not a shotgun. Charging elephants an' bears an' such can certainly be scary, but a field mouse will kill you.

Cosmoline
October 9, 2013, 02:31 PM

I had a very similar feeling near Cougar Reservoir in Oregon many years ago on an otherwise unremarkable camping trip. I was walking alone in a stand of trees not far from the road that runs along the reservoir, on my way back up into the hills where the campsite was. But for no apparent reason, every sense was suddenly elevated and I felt absolute hard-wired fear. There was nothing around me I could see, no sign of any trouble or animal.

Since then I've done some stupid things like crawling through bear tunnels in the dense underbrush over gigantic brown bear prints (lots of them) to get to a marginally better fishing hole. I've been chased by moose, seen quite a few bear, been in an epic car crash, etc. But never had that feeling.

What was it? It could have just been some short-circuit in the brain pan. But I suspect there was someone around there looking to do bad things. It was an isolated area near a road that connects to a highway, and there's no law enforcement to speak of. For whatever reason I wasn't on his menu. Maybe he was hunting women. And there are things in this world that do precisely that. Only they ain't bigfoot. And you could talk to one and never know the truth, except maybe that little voice in the back of your head does.

627PCFan
October 9, 2013, 04:53 PM
Maybe Im doing the wrong kind of hunting. My biggest concerns are if my Buddy Heater is still carbon monoxide safe for my insulated and drywalled hunting blind.

borrowedtime69
October 10, 2013, 07:08 PM
I was hunting coyote up in a high desert valley area in the Colorado mountains. I was wearing a ghillie suit. some ***-hats moved in on an elevated point and started "target shooting" out into thin air. turned out i was pretty damed close to the area the bullets started striking about 900-1000 yards out from where they were shooting. first i saw/heard the bullets strike a few meters from me, then i heard the BOOMs.

That'll get your blood pumping!

gonefishin1
October 13, 2013, 10:29 AM
I wasn't hunting but when I was a teenager I lived on a semi private lake in the country. I was checking my trot lines about daylight one morning when this guy started shooting at me with a shotgun. the pellets were landing all around my boat and even hit it with a few. I dove into the bottom of the boat and started yelling at him. apparently he was shooting at a squirrel multiple times.....

wgaynor
October 13, 2013, 10:36 AM
I was with my brother and we were deer hunting. I think we were about 14 or 15 years old. We each had NEF single shot 20 gauges.

We reached our hunting spot, that was on the edge of a field. We were set up in some brush overlooking the hay field. During that time, it wasn't unusual to see 20+ deer in the evening there. Sadly, now you only see about 2.

Anyway, rules of the hunt were, first one to see is the first to shoot. We were side by side.

My brother saw the first deer. I heard what sounded like a cannon before my ears started ringing. We looked at his barrel, and it looked like a bugs bunny cartoon. The barrel blew and looked like a peeled banana.

Apparently he dropped the shotgun when crossing a fence and didn't check the barrel. Couldn't hear much out of my left ear for 3 days. It did give us experience in sawing down a shotgun barrel though.

October 13, 2013, 11:04 AM
I have heard the zip-bang of bullets passing over me while lying flat in a tire rut in an over crowded public hunting area.

Oleson
October 13, 2013, 04:21 PM
Never experienced something scary, in the way some of you have.
But I've been more than uncomfortable.

Went trough the ice when I was two centimeters away from the beaver I just killed.
The water wasn't too deep, I had it up to my chin. But still, cold as *****, and I couldn't climb back onto the ice.
So I grabbed the beaver with my left hand, and smashed the ice with my right as I walked back to dry land.
My dad was taking pictures, and my brother was just pissed that I got my beaver before him.
When I finally made it back, my brother somehow got me into the car and drove me home. Just dragged myself in the shower and slowly defrosted.
I don't usually care about cold temperatures, living in the mountains of Norway will do that to you.:D
But when your clothes are sheets of ice... Brrr...
After smashing the ice I got some scrapes and cuts in my hand, they didn't close up for days. Probably something to do with the cold.

My life wasn't actually in danger, but I'm not sure that's a good enough reason to try it again...

Jcinnb
October 14, 2013, 10:30 PM
Christmas leave, 1970. I was home from Naval Academy, and ferrying the last two of our group of duck hunters back across lake. Way dark. In an overloaded 12 foot Jon boat. We heard ducks overhead. The guy in the front seat jumped up and screamed "Ducks."

When he stood up, the bow went down, and water came in/over the bow. Time went to slow motion. My thought was of the WWII newsreels of submarines submerging. I turn off outboard, closed gas cap vents and grabbed shotguns. By now we were treading ice water. My two buddies panicked.. We we 200 or so yards from shore. I gave one guy my shotgun, grabbed him around chest and started for the nearest shore, a small island. We both had on life jackets.

The second guy was holding on to a big bag of decoys. He was going nuts. I had him hold on to strap from the first guys life jacket and headed for the island.

We made it to shore and yelled across the open water that we had capsized. I remember watching the car lights going up the dirt road at the speed of heat. The driver basically burst into some house and called for help.

The worst deal was that the head rescue squad guy who picked us up and towed the boat back turned out, in time, to be my future father in law!

Anyone want to take the over/under on how many times I have had to hear that story, at family functions, in 31 years of marriage?

dark.zero.x
October 15, 2013, 03:43 AM
Last year I was doing a deer drive in a northern part of the state. It was rifle country and knowing the area I wanted a rifle not a shotgun (I frequent the southern part of the state) so I took my AR, it was the only gun I had SP for at the time. So a group of about 13 of us start pushing a cornfield being loud, and keeping in visual contact, when the 3rd guy to my right called out "BEAR!" he was about 110 ft away and the largest black I have ever seen. (may have been the fear) It started hauling away at top speed. My AR felt really really small that day.

Riceman98
October 17, 2013, 01:19 AM
This is mine:
http://www.ktvb.com/home/Missing-Meridian-family-rescued-by-National-Guard-helicopter-225998261.html

rondog
October 17, 2013, 04:14 AM
This is mine:
http://www.ktvb.com/home/Missing-Mer...225998261.html

Wow, awesome story! All of these stories are pretty awesome! Good thing I'm not a hunter, I'd likely be toast. I've had enough near-death experiences just in day-to-day life.

ApacheCoTodd
October 22, 2013, 12:12 AM
Ice
Ice over deep water
Ice over deep running water
Ice over deep running water while wearing snowmobile boots
Ice over deep running water while wearing snowmobile boots and alone... all alone.

Jack London had nothing on that afternoon!

Makes my teeth hurt and nails itch just to recall it.

Been bit by rattlers (yup - plural), hit by cars, clotheslined on motorcycles (yup - plural again) had a chute fail and been to a Juarez cat-house on a Sunday night and nothin' came close to falling through ice on moving water wearing Gumby boots with nothing but the early stars as witness.

There's alone... There's scared!

Gun Master
October 22, 2013, 12:30 AM
While still hunting squirrels, sitting under a tree, as can happen, somebody (who me ?), fell asleep. Upon awakening, a rattlesnake was on this somebody's chest. What happened ? Couldn't do nuttin', so just went back to sleep. Not !

OptimusPrime
October 22, 2013, 01:25 AM
Dinosaur may be the best storyteller on here. He gets my vote.

skoro
October 22, 2013, 08:21 AM
^^^
Make that 2

:)

Gun Master
October 22, 2013, 04:01 PM
Yeah, I liked Retired Navy Chief, too. I enjoyed all of them.

JRWhit
October 26, 2013, 09:48 AM
Out deer hunting one year, I set up on the ground in a predetermine spot where I had a clear view of several intersecting game trails. A few hours into hunting the wind shifted to sending my scent out in front of me and out into the direction I patiently sat and watched. After a few I started to hearing the crunch of an approaching animal directly behind me. I stayed froze as I heard it close to within approx. 15 ft and stayed froze as I was certain it could view me and movement would easily be noticed. Still not sure what was behind me I started hearing the scrapes in the low hanging branches. That's when a little bit of fear set in. Great, here I sit fully exposed and vulnerable with a testosterone laced buck standing behind me with the clear upper hand. As slow and deliberate as I could I began to very slowly turn to gain view, using the bill of my hat to conceal my eyes from his. As I finally made turn enough, there he was, in full view, starring right back at me. The fattest red squirrel I've ever seen in my life!:what:
That little **** had a stick in his mouth and was scrapping it back and forth across the branches and the tree as he went along, never leaving a very small area behind me,and never putting off any sort of clawing sound that's typical to their movement in the trees. There is not a sole on this earth that can convince me that the squirrel didn't know exactly what he was doing and did everything short of grunt, to impersonate a buck. I was never in any danger,but it still cost me a pair of shorts.

d2wing
November 1, 2013, 01:10 PM
I was charged by a large bull moose while grouse hunting in Minnesota. Since I was unwind and could not climb fast enough, or shoot him with birdshot, I quickly unzipped and pissed in the wind. That worked. I like to say I have the fasted zipper in the county. And maybe he felt less like a bull. Lol. But I knew the sudden smell would surprise him. He was chasing my hunting dog that had barked at him. The dog was running to me. I don't know if she was scared or saying, "hey dad, look what I am bringing to you".
Other things have happened, lost in a hige wilderness. Broke through ice, accidently shot at. Branch fell on me in windstorm. Truck stuck in remote area. My grandson says, that when things go wrong it is an adventure and grandpa has lots of those. Lol.

Gun Master
November 1, 2013, 08:52 PM
I was charged by a large bull moose while grouse hunting in Minnesota. Since I was unwind and could not climb fast enough, or shoot him with birdshot, I quickly unzipped and pissed in the wind. That worked. I like to say I have the fasted zipper in the county. And maybe he felt less like a bull. Lol. But I knew the sudden smell would surprise him. He was chasing my hunting dog that had barked at him. The dog was running to me. I don't know if she was scared or saying, "hey dad, look what I am bringing to you".
Other things have happened, lost in a hige wilderness. Broke through ice, accidently shot at. Branch fell on me in windstorm. Truck stuck in remote area. My grandson says, that when things go wrong it is an adventure and grandpa has lots of those. Lol.
Wow ! That's the best "quick on the draw" tale I've heard in a while . It was too good to have been made up . Happy Hunting !:)

Officers'Wife
November 1, 2013, 09:44 PM
My scariest was when my hubby and I decided to share a tree stand... On second thought- never mind.

Second place goes to the time my brother and I were loading wood from a tree that had been bucked out the spring before in a woodlot where we do not allow hunting simply because it's where we get our fuel wood. Suddenly there was this BOOOOM fsst fsst fsst fsst thunk! Ed pushed me down behind a tree and started doing the infantry cha cha cha. A few minutes later (it seemed like hours though) Ed brought the guy back ( he had his hand around the guy's elbow and a stick about as big around as a shopping cart handle up his armpit. I went to the truck, got my cell and called the sheriff while Ed very politely informed the guy he considered it very poor manners to trespass. Every time the - uh - gentleman tried to BS he got applied pressure to the Brachial Plexus. Oddly enough, even after his court appearance the guy never came back for his shotgun.

tgonza
November 1, 2013, 10:50 PM
This is not really about me but my son, although I did become a little scared too. About a month ago my son had an elk permit. He had hunted there several times but never gotten one although he'd seen several. He actually missed a couple last year at close range with a muzzle loader! He's really a bow hunter so he decided that this year he would try his luck with the bow. We typically sat on the edge of a big canyon and called. His call is pretty effective as he called in a herd last year and a calf started to jump up on the rock he was calling from and he had to wave the muzzle loader to keep it from jumping on him.

We took off early in the morning and his 12 year old son wanted to go but couldn't wake up. We got out there and I decided to stay in the truck as he was still asleep. My son took off and I sat reading waiting for daylight and my grandson to wake up. About a half hour later just after sunup, there's a pounding on my window. I look out and my son's excited so I assumed he got one. I opened the door and he's trembling and I said what happened. He said "I almost was attacked by a mountain lion!." He said he was using his cow call and had a strange feeling he was being watched. He said he turned to his right saw a huge Tom cat ready to pounce about 5 yards away. He jumped up got an arrow in and shot just as the cat turned. I told my grandson we were going to go look for it and he, of course, decided to stay in the truck.

We got to where he shot it and found blood just below the rock he was standing on. We started tracking it and that's where I got a a little rattled. I usually have my .44 mag with me but left it at home. My son had his bow and I had nothing. Every time we got close to a bush that the blood led us to, I got the willies thinking what if he's crouched on the other side. We saw places where he had torn up the ground under a tree. We figured out later that he was probably trying to pull out the arrow as we found it some 100 yards down the canyon. We followed the blood for about a half hour and finally came to a cliff where it stopped. He must have jumped off the cliff. We gave up at that point as the canyon got too steep to continue. We decided that it probably was not a vitals hit as it didn't look like the type of blood you find on a vitals hit. We suspect when he turned and my son pulled his bow up and shot it went through its shoulder. It was an experience and I wished we had the pelt hanging on the wall. Actually, I hope he recovered and didn't just die in a cave somewhere in that canyon. I will not forget my sidearm in the future!

PapaG
November 5, 2013, 08:27 PM
Sitting in my tree stand waiting for a deer to wander by on land where I was the "only" hunter allowed and having a slug clip off a branch a foot from my head. Hit the ground, fired off my three rounds in the air and waited to slink off to my truck. Never went back there again.
Bought my own land a few years later. Posted and pay a neighbor to watch for trespassers and poachers. Much safer.

arjppj
November 7, 2013, 11:05 PM
I had a raccoon come down a tree that I was sitting in...I just about jumped out of the treestand.:eek: Scares ya when it is still kinda dark and you can't really see what it is.

If you enjoyed reading about "Your Scariest Hunting Experience?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!