ever buy a gun after reading an article on it?

PDA

chez323
August 26, 2013, 10:50 PM
I was cleaning and came across the April 2008 issue of Guns & Ammo. Nothing special about that, but on the cover was a Kimber SIS 1911. From the moment I saw it and even more so after I read it I wanted that gun. I never came across one until about 2 years ago, walked into a shop for a transfer on gun I bought off a forum member. Guess what I saw in the case, brand spanking new Kimber SIS Custom..... it's pictured below with the magazine that made me want it in the first place. Thought I'd share..... plus I can't be the only one who read an article on a gun and then went out and bought one.

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j426/chez323/cd423f2d-82c6-484b-90f2-7259611adc16_zps156a312c.jpg (http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/chez323/media/cd423f2d-82c6-484b-90f2-7259611adc16_zps156a312c.jpg.html)

If you enjoyed reading about "ever buy a gun after reading an article on it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ColtPythonElite
August 26, 2013, 11:04 PM
Yep....SP101 .357....I read a gun rag torture test on it and knew I had to have one.

chez323
August 26, 2013, 11:32 PM
SP101's are a great gun, got one myself......

MaterDei
August 26, 2013, 11:35 PM
Not an article exactly but I bought a Marlin Camp 45 after reading Lights Out here on THR. Unintended Consequences has also peaked my interest on a few guns.

dondavis3
August 27, 2013, 01:17 AM
Yes I have.

I've bought several guns that were covered in articles ..

I'd read about it & begin the long search.

Fun to do ..

I'd try to handle & shoot it before buying it.

:cool:

pockets
August 27, 2013, 06:23 AM
Never ..... not once in 48 years of firearms ownership.

Esoxchaser
August 27, 2013, 06:38 AM
I looked at my EMP because of an article I saw upon it's introduction, but I bought it on it's own merits when I handled and shot one.

ku4hx
August 27, 2013, 07:10 AM
Just once, a Smith and Wesson 1006 circa 1990. The only regret I have is not buy a 1076 at the same time.

SleazyRider
August 27, 2013, 07:33 AM
Most of the guns I buy are a result of reading a magazine article or discussion on the Internet, and if I hear about a gun from another source, I always follow up by reading a review on the Net or by thumbing through back issues of gun rags.

Here in New York, at least in my small circle, the "G word" isn't spoken very often; and when it is it's usually about more restrictions, so I count on magazines and Internet articles for informed discussion.

Some of my "magazine purchases" that were a result of articles include a Polish Wifama wz.78, a CZ 82, a CZ75B, and a Sterling 400. These guns aren't even on the radar at my LGS, Dick's, or Ginder Mountain.

wally
August 27, 2013, 09:40 AM
Pretty much always. I like to get other's opinions before I buy much of anything -- cars, guns, appliances, etc.

Sam1911
August 27, 2013, 10:11 AM
Not exactly, but I've taken the plunge based on reading lots of material before.

I bought my .44 629 without ever having fired one before.

I BUILT my first AK without ever having even held one, I don't believe.

Dframe
August 27, 2013, 10:41 AM
My love affair with the 44 special was initiated by articles I read by the late Skeeter Skelton.

Furncliff
August 27, 2013, 10:50 AM
Yes...often.

7.62 Solution
August 27, 2013, 10:59 AM
SP101 4.2" barrel, read about it in American Rifleman and had to own one. There have been others but that was the quickest decision based on reading one article. (Then again it doesn't take much to convince me I need to buy another)

horsemen61
August 27, 2013, 11:01 AM
Yeah my LCR read about how advanced it was had to have it.

X-Rap
August 27, 2013, 11:08 AM
Of course, that's why they write these things. In about 50% I have been satisfied and the gun has lived up to the hype. The rest have been sold to some other reader.

C0untZer0
August 27, 2013, 11:25 AM
Ya, I read a glowing review of the Intratec CAT-9 and went out and bought one.

What a horrible gun.

osteodoc08
August 27, 2013, 11:29 AM
My Smith 586 comes to mind.

beatledog7
August 27, 2013, 11:43 AM
Secondary research is always a factor but never the end all and be all of my firearm decisions.

oneounceload
August 27, 2013, 11:57 AM
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY back before the internet, that's how you found about guns and whether they were decent or not

Speedo66
August 27, 2013, 12:55 PM
When the Glock 26 "mini Glock" came out I read an extensive test report article about it. I had been carrying an S&W 36 Chief Special, and the Glock kind of blew it away in my mind. I went ahead and bought one with night sights, even though at that time my agency was strictly revolvers.

When we transitioned over to Glocks, I was ahead of the game, and loved it as a duty gun. Still love it, although since retired, my Ruger LCP gets carried more often.

Jim Watson
August 27, 2013, 03:13 PM
I have.
Sometimes it worked out, sometimes it didn't.
Sending a gun to a gunsmith recommended by a gunzine writer was a hassle 3 times out of 5 tried.

I guess the worst thing is to read about something, take an interest, find it too expensive or too hard to locate, and buy a second choice. That seldom comes out well.

MasterSergeantA
August 27, 2013, 03:24 PM
Yup. Do it all the time. My wife figured it was easier to let my subscriptions lapse than keep me out of the LGS.

Cokeman
August 27, 2013, 10:47 PM
I bought a gun after seeing a movie that had one in it.

bannockburn
August 28, 2013, 10:11 AM
Yes, probably more times than I can remember. There was the then new Browning Hi-Power Mk.II which was featured in an article in Combat Handguns. Drove an hour and half the next day to a big gun distributor, who had just got them in, to pick one up.

Did nearly the same thing with a S&W Model 649, also from a review in Combat Hanguns, though for that one I only had to drive about 15 minutes to my local gunshop.

roadliner
August 28, 2013, 11:58 AM
Most of my purchases have been triggered by a magazine article. It actually doesn't take much prodding to get me to by a new gun. ;)

Thaddeus Jones
August 28, 2013, 12:06 PM
No, never. I can't recall ever seeing a truthful article in a gun magazine. They are simply salesmen for their sponsors. Why do you think S&W and Kimber place so many adverts in American Handgunner? Ever seen a bad review in that gunrag of a S&W or Kimber product?

I would never base a purchase on the writings in some gunrag. :what:

snooperman
August 28, 2013, 12:14 PM
Yes, several times. Most have been good choices for me.

HOOfan_1
August 28, 2013, 12:37 PM
I used to turn my nose up at Glocks, but after watching hickok45 shoot them so much, I decided to buy a Glock 19. I love it now. I am not a fan boy or anything, but still a complete 180 on my attitude towards them.

Resist Evil
August 28, 2013, 01:04 PM
I bought the Beretta 92FS and a Heritage Arms Stealth based upon magazine reviews.

I was again tempted by magazines covering Volkmann pistols. I successfully resisted until I met and spoke with Luke Volkmann while he was still associated with a local gun shop.

herrwalther
August 28, 2013, 02:09 PM
I don't necessarily read article reviews on firearms. Far too often they are "This gun is great yada yada yada." Many of them do a better job as ads than an actual review. Instead I look over the stats, options, disassembly etc to see if there is something I don't like about it that would prevent me from looking at one, such as a heavy trigger pull or difficult to take apart.

rbernie
August 28, 2013, 02:17 PM
In the early 1980's, I bought my very first handgun (a S&W 686) based on the information in magazine articles of the time. That was my first introduction to what I now take for granted - that magazine articles are largely designed to entertain and to sell product.

The Lone Haranguer
August 28, 2013, 02:27 PM
I have a couple of times. One, a SIG P220 endorsed by Chuck Taylor in Petersen's Handguns (as the magazine was known then), was a great gun. But another, a Taurus PT945 written up in the same mag, was a total POS.

Oxidation
August 29, 2013, 02:01 AM
Yep that is why I picked up my DS ARMS SA58 pistol

Blue Brick
August 29, 2013, 02:40 AM
No, never. I can't recall ever seeing a truthful article in a gun magazine. They are simply salesmen for their sponsors. Why do you think S&W and Kimber place so many adverts in American Handgunner? Ever seen a bad review in that gunrag of a S&W or Kimber product?

I would never base a purchase on the writings in some gunrag.

+ 1

Bobson
August 29, 2013, 05:47 AM
No, never. I can't recall ever seeing a truthful article in a gun magazine. They are simply salesmen for their sponsors.
I was about 13 when I learned that if I want to read something positive, flip open a magazine; if I want to read something negative, flip open a newspaper. Still haven't ever seen a negative review for any product, in a magazine on any topic, to this day.

The answer is no for me too, by the way. If I'm curious about a firearm, and I simply can't find a way to test it myself, I'll find someone who has - or I'll buy something else.

Bush Pilot
August 30, 2013, 10:43 PM
I can honestly say I've never done this once, 3 or 4 times maybe. I consider the writer and decide if I trust them. BTW, most of my picks have been guns Mas reviewed and suggested. I've never found a lemon yet.

JRedHorse
August 30, 2013, 10:47 PM
Every firearm I own started out as an article, review or ad.

I do research on line, in print and friend recommendations, it saves me a lot of headaches and I have never regretted any of my purchases.

hardluk1
August 31, 2013, 01:37 PM
I bought a caracal after see some info on it. Good shooter, nice trigger but had the recall on ever gun and seeing that it would take many months to do it or a buy back, I took a buy back on mine. Done with caracal.

BullfrogKen
August 31, 2013, 01:45 PM
That would mean I'd have to read a gun magazine.

Which I'd rather not.

They disappoint me every time, so I gave up reading them long ago.

mljdeckard
August 31, 2013, 02:05 PM
Yes. A S&W Sigma .40. Worst gun I ever bought.

jjones45
August 31, 2013, 02:07 PM
good form of marketing and the gun companies don't pay a dime(well maybe shipping). just send the gun to a gun magazine or online reviewer and let them advertise it for them. I bought one of the first run of Springfield xd's based on articles and feel of course. next will be a cz p09 duty. the write ups get ur attention for sure.

Posted from Thehighroad.org App for Android

Magnuumpwr
August 31, 2013, 11:43 PM
Haven't bought any because they were featured in a magazine article, but have purchased several guns after seeing them in a movie! I am a "visual" gun buyer, if it's appearance puts me off I will not buy it.

788Ham
August 31, 2013, 11:57 PM
Yessir, my SP 101 3.06" ,357 revolver. I read an article in one of the shooter's mags, went to 3 different LGS til I found the 2" and the 3", brought the 3" home. This tank is a shooter too.

ShadowsInSnow
September 1, 2013, 09:29 AM
I use Gun Test magazine. They have skin in the game. They actually purchase guns off the shelf (no cherry picked models, complements of the manufacturer) with their own scratch. They shoot them, head to head and print the results. No kiss up BS or excuses for their own bad day shooting. I figure that if one example of an off the shelf gun has trouble, the rest are questionable. I also research in other rags, but try to read between the lines with those. I try to research most things before I buy. I like to get a good value for my dollar (I would rather spend more- one time and be happy- then buy the cheapest item). Pisses me off to spend money on junk.

Jim in S.A.
September 1, 2013, 03:02 PM
Memory is a little sketchy on this 'cause it was a while back, probably in the early 80s. I read an article by Bill Jordan, who was impressed with the new Ruger Security Six Heavy Barrel Revolver. I was looking for a 4" .357 magnum, and I figured, if Bill Jordan says it's okay, I probably can't go too far wrong. I still have that revolver.

johnnydollar
September 1, 2013, 05:37 PM
Some time around 1982 I read a review in G&A of the then quite new, and quite expensive, HK P7. Many years later I stumbled across one of the West German Federal Police trade-in P7s at a gun show, and I have never been the same since.

Magnuumpwr
September 2, 2013, 12:06 AM
I treat gun magazines like a teenager with adult magazines. I just like looking at the pictures, not reading the articles!
And against what some people might say, I can read, just refuse to!

FM12
September 2, 2013, 02:10 PM
Yep. First one was a S&W Model 39 in 1974. Several others since then.

Article was written by Massad Ayoob. Pretty convincing article. To me anyway!

If you enjoyed reading about "ever buy a gun after reading an article on it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!