Gun Trust Help

PDA

Praxidike
August 27, 2013, 04:51 PM
I've already searched, but could not find exactly what I was looking for. Can anyone point me to a detailed step by step tutorial on what needs to be done?

Also, I already have a lawyer who is part of a general practice firm, so they do wills, prenuptials, divorces, etc. I know that I would have to ask them, but I would like you guys opinion on using a general practice lawyer and whether or not they should be good enough...

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Trust Help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Outlaw Man
August 27, 2013, 05:16 PM
I have spoken, on a few occasions, with a lawyer who does estate planning and end-of-life type documents who just happens to be a gun nut (even has a C&R). I haven't gone down that road yet, but I probably will, soon, and will likely use this guy. I think there is some merit to having someone who is familiar with the firearm laws and has done gun trusts in the past. Not to say a general practice lawyer can't do it. He or she may just have to do more research.

I think even using a general practice lawyer is definitely a better route than one of those generic/online forms. They can really tailor it to your specific needs.

As to the steps, I'll let someone who's actually done it outline those.

Bartholomew Roberts
August 27, 2013, 06:03 PM
Have you read this thread in the NFA forums yet?

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=719848

As far as what needs to be done just:

1. Form and fund your trust according to state law
2. Find the NFA item you want to buy
3. Buy it as trustee for the trust
4. Fill out paperwork (Form 5320.4 or Form 5320.1) and attach $200 check
5. Wait the rest of your natural life for ATF to get around to checking it

Praxidike
August 27, 2013, 09:43 PM
Thanks "Outlaw Man" and "Bartholomew Roberts" for the advice and info. No Bartholomew, I never noticed the NFA forums, but thanks for point that out to me.

medalguy
August 29, 2013, 12:23 AM
Find an attorney well versed in NFA regulations. There are a lot of special things that really should be included in an NFA trust that a non-knowledgable attorney might miss. Then do just as Bartholomew Roberts suggested.

351 WINCHESTER
August 29, 2013, 10:32 PM
If I want to leave all my guns to my kids can I just will them to them?

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Trust Help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!