Wisconsin Gun Ownership

PDA

acschenck
August 27, 2013, 10:45 PM
Hi everyone,
In July of 2010 I received a felony drug charge in the state of Wisconsin. I had just turned 18 and was a stupid kid who thought taking the rap for a friend would show everyone that I was a real man. I received what Dane county (county I was charged in) calls "drug treatment court" which is a deferred adjudication in which I make a plea of no contest and enter an agreement with the judge to complete a special court program and then the charges will be dismissed on the prosecutors motion. I completed the program and had the charge dismissed, and later moved on to contacting the feds and getting my finger prints removed along with my arrest record. I am wondering if I am able to buy a gun? I am not a drug addict and in Wisconsin a deferred adjudication sentence in which the case is dismissed is not classified as a conviction. Ive bought a few guns at gun shows and what not, but not yet have I tried to buy one from an FFL dealer. Some people have said that chances are I will initially be denied but could then contact the ATF and after a few weeks could purchase the gun. I've heard it just takes a few weeks to buy a gun instead of being able to get it right away, but I am not sure. I rather not waste my time filling out paperwork to be told I cant have a gun and have everyone at the store think im a felon. Any help is appreciated!! God Bless

If you enjoyed reading about "Wisconsin Gun Ownership" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gunnutery
August 27, 2013, 11:34 PM
IIRC, I don't believe a retailer ever gets information on why a person was delayed or denied. You're probably better off asking a WI lawyer that specializes in firearms issues. I could see paperwork possibly getting delayed, but if they look into your matter they should easily be able to see that there was no conviction. My guess is that .gov doesn't just expunge prints, but I suppose they should be able to amend any sort of flag your personal info may have attached to it.

Black Butte
August 27, 2013, 11:43 PM
If it helps, I had a fiend with a single arrest on his record who would always get delayed when he underwent a background check. After he had his record expunged, he no longer received the delays.

If you enjoyed reading about "Wisconsin Gun Ownership" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!