Convert cheap Pietta 1858 into carbine?

PDA

colonelhogan44
August 28, 2013, 01:36 AM
has anyone ever done it? Octagonal barrel blanks are fairly cheap, so it seems like it could be easily threaded for the frame of the revolver. Make a wood stock and you have a sweet little carbine for under ~400.

Thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Convert cheap Pietta 1858 into carbine?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jasonmackuk
August 28, 2013, 05:38 AM
It will look good but i would not like to beholding it if it had a chain fire

Carl N. Brown
August 28, 2013, 05:53 AM
I have always been intrigued by the cap'n'ball revolver carbine. I have been worried about the chain fire possibility. I do note the recommended method of holding a revolver carbine while firing is the same as that for the Mauser C96 pistol with shoulder stock: you hold both hands around the pistol grip, or use the off-hand to grip the wrist of the the shooting hand and stock.

zimmerstutzen
August 28, 2013, 08:25 AM
Saw an original revolving shotgun years back.
Awful hefty chunk of iron

Why not just buy the 1858 carbine Uberti makes.
?

Prairie Dawg
August 28, 2013, 10:29 AM
You NEVER put your off hand forward of the cylinder face on any cylinder gun, rifle or pistol, in spite of what you see in the movies.

I've seen them for sale at around $350 rather frequently.
Not cost effective to make one.
By the way, I've had several and they are very accurate.
And a hoot to shoot with both the cap & ball and conversion cylinders.
--Dawg

rodwha
August 28, 2013, 12:09 PM
Where I would really see it shine is with a 12" barrel for brush use, especially with hogs.

That's one thing I really like about the Colt models. Easily swap the barrel for a shorty or a carbine (~12") and a stock. One pistol to most anything.

The .36 cal model would make a nice small game carbine!

colonelhogan44
August 28, 2013, 12:18 PM
I have only seen them for sale for around 500-600 bucks. I have an 1858 pistol sitting around that I rarely shoot, so I just got to thinking.

What kind of velocity gain do you get with the longer barrel? Probably negligible due to the cylinder gap, I'm thinking?

Crawdad1
August 28, 2013, 12:24 PM
I just could never warm up to them cause of the awkward shooting style of the hand placement behind the cylinder. Put a long barrel on it and make it a Wyatt Earp Buntline. No? Not want you want?

Carl N. Brown
August 28, 2013, 02:26 PM
Under 16" barrel is OK with a black powder cap'n'ball revolver carbine, but a cartridge firing revolver carbine must observe NFA restrictions: 16" minimum.

colonelhogan44
August 28, 2013, 05:42 PM
Correct. I like rifles. It was just a thought...

realitycheck
August 28, 2013, 07:56 PM
projects like that are cool. you could go farther and thread a blank to it and maybe go even farther with it. you could flute the blank, add some rails to it for laser/light,etc. you could camo it up.you could flute the blank bbl for lightness.you could add a weaver grip handle to the blank to hold. you could weld a buttstock somehow maybe to the bottom of the grip and tang. all thats easily doable. something harder to do if possible at all would be to get a blank cylinder and drill it to .50 cal and use a .50 bbl blank and as long as its a steel frame revolver it should be strong enough. im no machinist though so i dont know how feasible all the last part is.

goon
August 28, 2013, 08:50 PM
Sounds like a "why the hell not?" type of idea to me. You might even look up the barrel from one of those "buffalo" versions that used to be around and just screw that on your frame. Please post the pics after you do it.

Busyhands94
August 28, 2013, 08:56 PM
I'm wondering about the possibility of attaching some kind of forward pistol grip on the barrel, kind of like some AR's have, or a Thomson submachine gun.

goon
August 28, 2013, 09:17 PM
The only issue with anything forward of the cylinder is the possibility of chainfires.

rcflint
August 28, 2013, 09:49 PM
I made one many years ago from a Navy Arms Remington 44. A Numrich 45 barrel, triggerguard pieces from DGW and brass stock, a Kentucky rifle buttplate and hand made shoulderstock. I cut open the gripframe and straightened the tangs, used a Winchester mainspring. I have photos of it somewhere.

I built it some years before Uberti started making the carbine. Mine has a 24" barrel, and is actually more authentic in shape than the Uberti, as I copied originals I saw at antique gun shows.

realitycheck
August 29, 2013, 12:35 PM
i said the same.one of those weaver attached pistol grips off ebay.

realitycheck
August 29, 2013, 12:40 PM
chainfires are talked about a lot.it would suck if that happened.way i understand it,they usually happen from the nipple end. what can you say.just use a wad if it makes you feel better,and make sure the caps are on good. i dont use wads,the balls shave lead and i put lube on top,never had a problem. You can always get a Kirst conversion cylinder and use .45 black powder cartridge ammo,if chain fires are a concern.

colonelhogan44
August 29, 2013, 01:12 PM
It would be interesting to make a front hand shield similar the the Rossi Circuit Judge revolving carbine.

wap41
August 29, 2013, 05:01 PM
You can buy a new one from dixie for under $500.

goon
August 29, 2013, 05:20 PM
I can see why the OP might want to make a shoulder stocked revolver. Since it's BP you can get away with a shorter barrel length. I wonder if just cutting the recoil shield on a standard 1858 to take a stock and making a detachable stock wouldn't do the trick...

rcflint
August 30, 2013, 04:47 PM
There is a shoulder stock for the Remington already, see DGW. It needs no frame cutting, it uses anew hammer screw with an extended head on the left and nut on the right to hold the top of the stock. But I did cut a notch in the butt with a Woodruff key cutter similar to the 1860 Colt to stabilize the bottom.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a293/rcflint/Guns/shoulderstockedrevolvers_zpsf89b4e8a.jpg (http://s13.photobucket.com/user/rcflint/media/Guns/shoulderstockedrevolvers_zpsf89b4e8a.jpg.html)

If you enjoyed reading about "Convert cheap Pietta 1858 into carbine?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!