Missing Anything for First Comp?

PDA

jwrowland77
August 28, 2013, 02:23 PM
I've decided that I'm going to compete in my first rifle competition at the end of September. I using buddy's chrono this weekend to get MV.

My question is, am I missing anything from the list below that I might need or will need to help compete? I'll be competing in a mid-range 600yd prone.

Rifle (of course, has bipod and 8-32x44 scope on 20 MOA base)
100 rounds of hand loads (too many? Not enough?)
Ear and eye protection
Spotting scope
Wind meter
Notepad and pen/pencil
Brush hat (to keep sun out of eyes
Rest for butt of gun
Blanket
1/4 MOA adjustment chart for 600yd
Ballistics app on phone

That's all I can think of. Anything else that I might need that I'm not thinking about?

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and comments on previous post as well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Missing Anything for First Comp?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
allaroundhunter
August 28, 2013, 02:40 PM
First off, what type of competition?

jwrowland77
August 28, 2013, 02:47 PM
Mid range 600yd prone. 3x20. 2 sighters. Using .308

taliv
August 28, 2013, 05:38 PM
ok so just to nitpick the terminology a bit

when you say "prone" that means in NRA parlance, you will be shooting laying down, using a sling, with no bipod, bags, or other support. typically, you will be using a leather or canvas shooting coat.

using a bipod or front rest would put you in F-class. there are various divisions (F-TR, F-Open depending on details of your config.)

for most club-level matches I've attended, (regardless of "prone" or "Fclass" you get "unlimited sighters and 20 rounds for record in a 25 minute block time" which means to shoot the 3x20 you will need 60 rounds for record and the other 40 could be sighters. normally, i shoot 5 or so sighters just to warm up and figure out what the prevailing wind conditions are. in important or larger matches you may get 2 minutes for 2 sighters and 20 min for record shots or something like that. my memory is not too good and someone will come along and correct me

assuming that is the case, the point is, don't sweat your MV or dope. just try to get it close enough so your sighters are on paper. from there, the guy in the pits will show you where you are shooting and you can make adjustments

aside from the shooting, to enjoy the day better, remember that you will spend 1/3rd of the day pulling pits for other relays and 1/3rd of the day scoring for other relays, so make sure you bring stuff like
sun screen,
lunch,
ample water,
snacks,
a camp stool or range cart to sit on while you're scoring (otherwise you'll be on the ground),
doughnuts
some way to carry your gear from your car to the line and pits and back (you may be carpooling too, as parking in the pits is often limited) such as a jogging stroller, cart with wheels, garbage bin bungee corded to a dolly (you'll see all kinds of contraptions)
and you'll want a bag to put your gun in
and you'll want a chamber flag at most events

if you live in a warm climate with sun, you will probably appreciate a sweatband and a towel which you should keep in easy reach so you can wipe the sweat/sunscreen/bugspray out of your eyes during your string.

jwrowland77
August 28, 2013, 05:48 PM
Actually, thank you for the terminology correction. Still learning everything, so thank you.

I'll have to add that to my list. Water and snacks. I generally don't eat a lot when I spend a day on the range, just kind if nibble.

taliv
August 28, 2013, 05:49 PM
i just saw your other threads about memphis. so yeah, you DEFINITELY want to take steps to keep sweat out of your eyes. mirage will likely be annoying there, so plan on shooting at less than your 32x max.

oh, and you'll wnat to keep $3 in your pocket if they have a "challenge fee" which means if the guy in the pits scoring your target calls something an 8 and you think it's a 9, you can pay $3 to have the pit officer wandering down to your target and double-check his work. if you win, you keep your $3 and get the higher score.

i was mostly joking about the snacks, but something salty like a can of almonds, or beef jerky or chex mix will make you drink more which you need to do, and also replenish electrolytes. you don't need a 7 course meal or anything.

jwrowland77
August 28, 2013, 05:55 PM
On the chamber thing, I've done Steel Challenge with pistol, and I used a zip tie to show chamber clear.

Is it acceptable at a match like this as well?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to learn.

taliv
August 28, 2013, 06:34 PM
depends on the range. they will have them for sale for a buck or two if they are picky.

keep the questions coming!

also, blanket will prob be ok, but if you are shooting from a sling, i'd recommend a mat that is more grippy so your elbows don't slide around. the key is natural point of aim, and so you don't want to have to rebuild your position constantly.

jwrowland77
August 28, 2013, 07:08 PM
Ah ok. That makes sense.

What are the shooting jackets and shooting gloves for? Why?

Pete D.
August 29, 2013, 06:39 AM
If I may add to the very thorough advice that has been given...
A good supportive shooting jacket, often worn over a shooting sweater or a sweatshirt, provides a quite a few helpful elements to the task of getting all the bullets to the same place on the target. Shooting jackets frequently have rubber patches on the "sling" arm at the elbow and upper tricep. These provide a non slip mount for the sling and for the elbow on the mat. The jacket will often have a similar patch on the shoulder where the butt of the rifle rests.
The jackets, often quite stiff, protect the arms against the restricting pressure of the sling which might otherwise cut off circulation to a degree. More importantly, the thickness of the jacket/sweatshirt insulates the rifle, to a degree, from the effect of the pulse/heartbeat...minimizing the movement of the sights.
Shooting gloves, many different types available, are an adjunct to all of that...protecting the hand from the sling, cushioning the rifle in the hand, providing a positive nonslip contact with the rifle.
Can one shoot without a jacket and gloves? Yes, but the winners wear them.
pete

jwrowland77
August 29, 2013, 08:59 AM
These jackets, I assume they make both right handed and left handed? I was cursed being right handed, but having a left dominant eye, so I shoot left handed. Lol

Deer_Freak
August 29, 2013, 11:25 AM
Most people start out in NRA small bore. Everything about small bore is designed to hold down costs. From the questions you are asking you would get a lot more out of just watching the match.

Jeff H
August 29, 2013, 12:17 PM
If I may add to the very thorough advice that has been given...
A good supportive shooting jacket, often worn over a shooting sweater or a sweatshirt, provides a quite a few helpful elements to the task of getting all the bullets to the same place on the target. Shooting jackets frequently have rubber patches on the "sling" arm at the elbow and upper tricep. These provide a non slip mount for the sling and for the elbow on the mat. The jacket will often have a similar patch on the shoulder where the butt of the rifle rests.
The jackets, often quite stiff, protect the arms against the restricting pressure of the sling which might otherwise cut off circulation to a degree. More importantly, the thickness of the jacket/sweatshirt insulates the rifle, to a degree, from the effect of the pulse/heartbeat...minimizing the movement of the sights.
Shooting gloves, many different types available, are an adjunct to all of that...protecting the hand from the sling, cushioning the rifle in the hand, providing a positive nonslip contact with the rifle.
Can one shoot without a jacket and gloves? Yes, but the winners wear them.
pete

All good info Pete, but he isn't shooting prone. He has a bipod and rear rest. The only thing a shooting coat would do for him is make him sweat more. :D

jwrowland77
August 29, 2013, 12:50 PM
Most people start out in NRA small bore. Everything about small bore is designed to hold down costs. From the questions you are asking you would get a lot more out of just watching the match.

I'm not too worried about cost since I reload. All the .308 brass I have I scavenged so not too much cost there.

I do compete in Steel Challenge so comps aren't completely new to me, just this form of competing.

jwrowland77
August 29, 2013, 12:58 PM
It might be by sling. In the calendar, they list it as Mid & F-Class 600yd.

taliv
August 29, 2013, 01:43 PM
that's because it's the same course of fire, so they shoot on the same relays.

the only difference is if you use a sling, you will have a 6" X ring and if you shoot off the bipod you will have a 3" X ring at 600 yards.

So... if you are decent with a sling, you can benefit from the target that is twice as big. strategically, if you can hold hard, the larger target is much more forgiving for missing those little gusts and swirls of wind. if you choose to shoot off a bipod or rest, then you are going to have to be perfect on your wind calls to keep the rounds in the 1/2 MOA circle.

usually, they will put all the F-class guys on one end of the line, and the prone guys on the other, so they don't have to change the centers between relays.

yes, jackets are left or right handed. i'm on the other end of TN, but have a well-used left handed creedmoor hardback you can borrow or buy if you happen to be in the neighborhood

jwrowland77
August 29, 2013, 02:16 PM
I might have to go that route then. I'm pretty good at wrapping a sling around my arm and making a solid base. Something to think about....

I might have to check into that jacket...it's normally hard to find left handed anything for shooting as in guns and whatnot.

Thanks for all the replies everyone...I am definitely learning and soaking this all in.

BullfrogKen
August 29, 2013, 03:05 PM
Sounds like Tom got the gear topic covered already.

Definitely bring something to eat. Depending on the number of shooters and the amount of relays they run, you could be there until well after lunch. And they won't break for it. Everyone eats in between their turn on the line shooting.

Go show up. Shoot. Have fun.

No one's really going to care all that much about your score. They'll want to make sure you shoot the match safely, and yes the NRA safety procedures are going to come across very nanny-like. it is what it is. Beyond that, they'll just want to make sure as a new shooter you know how to score the target - someone will show you - and that you enjoyed yourself so you feel welcome and come back.

So be sure to tell them this is your first match. It'll make the event much better for you.

Nwflycaster
August 29, 2013, 05:11 PM
If you're going with a sling you are likely only competing against yourself if you have a telescopic sight. At least that would be the case around where I live. All of the sling prone shooters are using iron sights.
But even if you're the only one shooting telescopic sights don't let that stop you, you're still getting in there and trying something new. If you really enjoy it, then you can go out and buy a good set of iron sights if you want to.

Good luck and welcome to mid range.

Jeff

jwrowland77
August 29, 2013, 05:17 PM
Yeah, I was looking at the Palma matches. Looks like it would be pretty fun to do those...kind of go back to old school no Highpower scope, just metallic sights. I think that's why I enjoy shooting my muzzleloader so much.

I did contact the MSSA, and asked a bunch of questions as well yesterday. I wish my 20 MOA base would come in. I have 25 up adjustment with the scope I have now, but I really don't want to have to sight in my rifle again.

Thanks Jeff, I can't wait to get out there and shoot in my first match. I've done plenty of testing of my reloads, but I can't wait to really test them at a match.

taliv
August 29, 2013, 05:32 PM
you should only need about 15 MOA to get to 600. no need for a 20MOA base.

it's been a while so i may be misremembering the rules, but usually when there are only a couple shooters in a division (such as Any rifle/Any sight, as opposed to Any rifle / Iron sights) they just dump those guys in with the other division.

i think they do the same for classes like expert, marksman, sharpshooter so if you are a marksman you normally compete against other marksman, but if you're the only one, you'd get put in another class.

BullfrogKen
August 29, 2013, 05:50 PM
Yeah, it's usually in the match program that if there are less then 5 shooters in a class/division, the match director will combine until he has at least 5 to have a class/division award.

Not enough Marksmen, they'll combine them with Sharpshooters. Still not enough, then they'll comine those two with Experts.

By the way, you'll be starting out competing with the Master class until you get your classification.

jwrowland77
August 29, 2013, 05:54 PM
Cool. I was wondering where I would start out.

So do the NRA keep up with this, or do I need to get a notebook and keep track of it myself? I assume, the match director will send in something to the NRA to help keep track of my classification.

Nwflycaster
August 29, 2013, 05:56 PM
If you do really enjoy it and want to get further into it and are only looking at prone and not across the course stuff. When you purchase a jacket you wont really need one of the upper end jackets as they are more for multi position shooters and are stiffer than you need for prone.

If I only shot prone I would look for a jacket that had really good elbow padding as well as gripping and also had a sling keeper so the sling wont slide down your arm as you're shooting.

Everyone's different but that's what I would do.

Shooters are a good bunch of guys and I'm sure you would easily find people that would let you try on their jackets and sling up to see what you liked the best.

Nwflycaster
August 29, 2013, 06:01 PM
Yes, the match director will send in the info to the NRA, but it's a good idea to keep records yourself and add pertinent info. Like your MOA adjustments for each range, wind, temps, scores, and shot placement. plus any notes you may want to look at for future reference.

It comes in handy to look back at.

BullfrogKen
August 29, 2013, 06:01 PM
The match director will send the scores into the NRA, and the NRA will send you a classification card once you have enough rounds to earn your classification.

If Memphis runs the Mid-range matches as 3x600s (three, 20 round matches in a day), you'll have enough rounds for record at the end of your second time out to get classified.

taliv
August 29, 2013, 06:19 PM
you will need to be an NRA member. the match director will need your NRA member number to submit your scores.

i agree with the flycaster post above re: not needing a high end jacket just for prone

jwrowland77
August 29, 2013, 06:19 PM
The match director will send the scores into the NRA, and the NRA will send you a classification card once you have enough rounds to earn your classification.

If Memphis runs the Mid-range matches as 3x600s (three, 20 round matches in a day), you'll have enough rounds for record at the end of your second time out to get classified.

Sweet. I'll have to go look for the classification break down.

I'm not looking to do any good my first several times out, like the first 10 times out. I'm mainly looking to gain experience, learn about reading conditions out to that distance and just plain having fun shooting. I've shot plenty of rounds out to 200 yards and plenty of deer and hogs from 5-200yds, I'm doing this to give me a new challenge and to better my marksmanship. If I do good...great, if I do bad...well, it's better than sitting at home on my 6. I'd take a bad day of shooting over a good day of just about anything else. If I could make a living reloading and shooting I would

twofifty
August 29, 2013, 08:45 PM
a few more things to bring along:

- insect repellent
- eyeglass cleaner.
- basic first aid should you cut yourself.
- a few basic 'smithing tools like hex wrenches, screwdrivers.
- cleaning kit w rod, patches, solvent.
- gun lube.
- ball cap.
- clothes for a change in the weather.
- fresh socks to change into for the drive home.
- spotting scope & tripod ?

Teachu2
August 29, 2013, 11:52 PM
And all the skill you can muster....

jwrowland77
August 30, 2013, 07:10 AM
And all the skill you can muster....

LOL...only experience I have is, deer and hog hunting in Arkansas, and military...it probably won't be very pretty my first several times out. LOL... But I'm gonna give my all.

If you enjoyed reading about "Missing Anything for First Comp?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!