Springfield XDs Recall

PDA

Pages : [1] 2

AJChenMPH
August 28, 2013, 07:39 PM
Didn't see it listed...so until a mod adds it to the list in the sticky:

3.3 XD-S™ SAFETY RECALL
Issued August 28, 2013

Springfield Armory® is initiating this voluntary safety recall to upgrade 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm and 3.3 XD-S™ .45ACP pistols with new components, which eliminate the possibility of a potentially dangerous condition. We want to emphasize that no injuries have been reported to date.

Springfield has determined that under exceptionally rare circumstances, some 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm and .45ACP caliber pistols could experience an unintended discharge during the loading process when the slide is released, or could experience a double-fire when the trigger is pulled once. The chance of these conditions existing is exceptionally rare, but if they happen, serious injury or death could occur.

What should you do?

STOP USING YOUR 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm or .45ACP PISTOL AND CAREFULLY UNLOAD IT!

To begin the upgrade process and for fastest response, go to www.springfieldrecall.com. Request a return authorization for the 3.3 XD-S™ Recall. You will need to provide your name, address, phone number, email address and the serial number of your 3.3 XD-S™. The serial number is located on the frame beneath the dust cover (accessory rail).

If you don’t have computer access you may initiate the upgrade process by calling 800-680-6866. If you no longer own the 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm or .45ACP pistol, please advise Springfield of the current owner.

What pistols are involved?

This Safety Recall applies only to:

Springfield 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm pistols - serial numbers between XS900000 and XS938700.

Springfield 3.3 XD-S™ .45ACP pistols - serial numbers between XS500000 and XS686300.

This Safety Recall does not apply to any XD® or XD(M)® pistols.

What will Springfield do?

Springfield will send you a return authorization and mailing label, allowing you to return your 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm or .45ACP pistol to Springfield at no cost to you. Springfield will upgrade your 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm or .45ACP pistol with the new components, and return it to you. Springfield will provide tracking numbers so you can monitor the receipt and return of your upgrades.

Questions?

Visit www.springfield-armory.com for further information about this safety recall. You can reach Springfield at 800-680-6866. Springfield apologizes for this inconvenience, but your safety is our paramount concern.

We greatly appreciate your loyalty to Springfield products.

http://www.eastexshooting.com/Notice.pdf
_____

Note: there are reports that the website is having issues with certain serial numbers...if your pistol falls within the range but the website is giving you a hard time, call Springfield directly.

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield XDs Recall" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
August 28, 2013, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the link. I just filled out the online form and received an email with a shipping label. :rolleyes:

Tommygunn
August 28, 2013, 11:50 PM
My thanks as well. I just purchased one of those pistols and unfortunatly it IS within the serial # range. Just got through printing out the label.

jimbo555
August 29, 2013, 07:48 AM
Thank you,mine's going back also

horsemen61
August 29, 2013, 07:57 AM
Yep mine has to be shipped back I just hope they take their time and don't just rush every pistol out the door :(

JimC
August 29, 2013, 03:10 PM
I have been considering the purchase of an XDs .45. I have been waiting for my dealer to get them in to make the final decision.
The light strike and failure to return to battery issues have influenced my thinking negatively.
SA has now helped me with that decision...I'll wait a few months before buying any XDs if at all.
Good for SA for stepping up and issuing the recall.

GBExpat
August 29, 2013, 04:50 PM
I am going to wait a few months to send in my XDs45 ... let the queue shrink.

460Kodiak
August 30, 2013, 10:35 AM
Bummer. I have a 80 mile round trip drive to drop it off. Oh well I guess. Time to take a trip to the big city.

I guess my Ruger SP101 will get a little hip time out of this.

GBExpat
August 30, 2013, 10:40 AM
460Kodiak, I thought I was stuck in the same situation, until I did a Google search for FedEx locations and discovered that they have added one only about 10 miles away ... so mine will eventually be going back.

Outlaw Man
August 30, 2013, 01:06 PM
Looks like mine's going back, too.

August 30, 2013, 01:14 PM
Mine went out today.

460Kodiak
August 30, 2013, 03:31 PM
Hey what is the best option for packaging? They say not to send any of the accessories. I was planning on putting it in it's case , boxing up the case, and then sending it that way.

Should I just ask the Fedex people?

Last time I shipped a hand gun I sent it in a case, but that was an X frame revolver. It seems silly to send the big suitcase they give you with the XDs.

August 30, 2013, 03:37 PM
I wrapped my XD-S in bubble wrap and put it in a small cardboard box about 8" x 5" x 3" (Wilson Combat barrel box) and attached the label. Springfield says to send in a "clean" pistol ... bloody cheek if you ask me!!

GBExpat
August 30, 2013, 04:47 PM
Springfield says to send in a "clean" pistol ... bloody cheek if you ask me!!

:confused: Why? They are going to have a difficult enough time disassembling, replacing parts, reassembling and returning all of these pistols to their owners in a timely fashion without having to waste additional time & effort to also clean them.

August 30, 2013, 05:28 PM
:confused: Why? They are going to have a difficult enough time disassembling, replacing parts, reassembling and returning all of these pistols to their owners in a timely fashion without having to waste additional time & effort to also clean them.

How about the additional time and effort I have to waste filling out a form on the internet, printing a label, packing up the pistol, driving to/from a FedEx location to drop off and pick up the pistol. That's an hour of driving not to mention the cost of gas. For some folks this is a huge inconvenience. I guarantee that Springfield will spend less time correcting the issue with my pistol, clean or dirty, than I will have to spend ferrying it all over this great state!!

rhinoh
August 30, 2013, 06:11 PM
Dang! I've got TWO of them to send in:(
I think I'll send one, wait for its return then send the other....both .45

Added info- when you input the serial NUMBER be sure to put the first two LETTERS as well. If you don't Springfield will say it is NOT subject to the recall. Their website guy needs to do a little tweaking....

GBExpat
August 30, 2013, 06:21 PM
So being able to send the pistols in filthy and, thereby, delaying their return will somehow improve this PITA for you? OK.

Me? I will happily clean my XDs45 in the hope that it will aid SA in completing the mods and returning it to me a little quicker.

I agree that the travel time & expense is a big inconvenience as well as not having the use of our pistol(s) for a month or more, but filling out a form, printing a label, packing the pistol ... not so much.

I hope that you, and all early returners, get your pistols back PDQ! :)

skoro
August 30, 2013, 10:11 PM
It seems silly to send the big suitcase they give you with the XDs.

I couldn't find a box that the XDs case would fit in, so I put the gun in a ziplock bag, packed it up with styrofoam and bubble wrap in a smaller box and sent it off this morning.

The return instructions make no mention of sending it in the box, so I'll bet they aren't picky about what you ship it in, within reason.

460Kodiak
August 30, 2013, 10:50 PM
Just boxed mine up. Older box, but with enough clear packing tape and bubble wrap to ship a Faberge Egg. Dropping of tomorrow. Weird, feels like dropping a friend off at a bus station.

Jeeze, I gotta move, and meet someone.

burk
August 31, 2013, 12:12 AM
Dang! I've got TWO of them to send in:(
I think I'll send one, wait for its return then send the other....both .45

Added info- when you input the serial NUMBER be sure to put the first two LETTERS as well. If you don't Springfield will say it is NOT subject to the recall. Their website guy needs to do a little tweaking....
I'd send both back immediately if they're on the list. There is no advantage in keeping one that you can't take the chance and use. The reality is a pistol that can fire when a round when the slide is released is very dangerous. And some of these pistols have been going full auto. Get it fixed. I know it's a pain in the butt, but the pistol you're keeping is simply dangerous.

rhinoh
August 31, 2013, 04:54 AM
There is no advantage in keeping one that you can't take the chance and use.

Sure there is.
What if it turns out Springfield screws up their fix? I'd feel better about sending both in at the same time if they bothered to let us know exactly what they plan to do.

I know it's a pain in the butt, but the pistol you're keeping is simply dangerous.

Dangerous? Really? How is sitting in my gunsafe awaiting return of it's mate dangerous?:uhoh:

critter
August 31, 2013, 06:47 AM
Anybody have a guesstimate as to turn-around time on this recall fix?

460Kodiak
September 1, 2013, 02:57 PM
Sent mine, and now comes the waiting game.

woodwrkr
September 1, 2013, 04:13 PM
I dropped mine off at the FedEx terminal Friday. This makes the third time I've sent it back to Springfield! The first two times were for light primer strikes issues. They never did fix anything. I had to figure that problem out for myself. I put stronger mag springs in the mags (Tripp Research part no. MS-14C048).

The first time I returned mine to Springfield i asked how they wanted me to package it. The CS guy said to remove all accessories from the case, make sure it's empty. and return it in it's plastic case. The case fits perfectly in a 12"x4"x16" large shipping box. He also said it's best to have the plastic case inside the shipping box before entering FedEx. I guess that just helps prevent raised eyebrows and bad scenes with other customers.

I'm about ready to yell LEMON!!!! at the top of my lungs and ask for a refund.

slamfirev10
September 2, 2013, 02:13 AM
sent mine in too, with this 3 day weekend, SA will get a flood of guns tues and wed

anyone know if one asks SA for a refund, will they?

TahoeDust
September 2, 2013, 02:27 AM
sent mine in too, with this 3 day weekend, SA will get a flood of guns tues and wed

anyone know if one asks SA for a refund, will they?
That would be awesome. If that was an option, I would gladly take it. I was getting ready to sell it anyways...

jimbo555
September 2, 2013, 08:38 AM
I love mine. I'm thinking of buying a new one outside the serial number range of the recall. (If there are any!)

OilyPablo
September 2, 2013, 08:53 AM
I'm thinking about the pile of boxes on their dock........mine went on Friday. Never had any issue.

460Kodiak
September 2, 2013, 10:19 AM
Yeah I haven't had any issues either. I love that gun. I carry it all the time.

351 WINCHESTER
September 2, 2013, 08:15 PM
I'll bet they will be backed up for a year fixing all those pistols.

September 3, 2013, 11:50 AM
My XD-S was delivered to the Geneseo facility at 10:00am this morning. I dropped it off on Friday so it's been four days thus far.

Captains1911
September 3, 2013, 01:59 PM
My guess is the queue will only be longer a few months from now, as only the most "in tune" people are even aware of the recall.

Captains1911
September 3, 2013, 02:00 PM
My thanks as well. I just purchased one of those pistols and unfortunatly it IS within the serial # range. Just got through printing out the label.
Every XDs produced to date is within the serial number range. IOW every XDs has been recalled.

GBExpat
September 3, 2013, 02:24 PM
My guess is the queue will only be longer a few months from now, as only the most "in tune" people are even aware of the recall.
That is a good possibility ... or perhaps reality will settle somewhere in the middle.

<shrug> Even if you are correct, when I do finally send my pistol (which is operating flawlessly) in the folks fixing them will be well-trained & seasoned to the task and the process should have all of its kinks worked out. I am happy to have them "practice" on all of those pistols shipped in the initial surge. :)

September 3, 2013, 05:29 PM
I am happy to have them "practice" on all of those pistols shipped in the initial surge.

Or as the saying goes "familiarity breeds contempt". I'll be selling mine once it gets back with full disclosure to the new owner. I realized that I much prefer my Ruger KLCR to the XD-S both in terms of carrying and shooting. The recall has nothing to do with my decision to sell the pistol.

GBExpat
September 3, 2013, 06:59 PM
Or as the saying goes "familiarity breeds contempt".

:confused: Sorry, but you have lost me with this. I understand the saying, just not your use of it here.

slamfirev10
September 3, 2013, 08:03 PM
sent fri 8/30 delivered today

rhinoh
September 7, 2013, 06:07 AM
Springfield is now quoting 30 DAYS turn around.
Sure glad I have other carry guns, feel really bad for people that don't.

http://www.springfieldrecall.com/Recall%20FAQ.asp

GBExpat
September 7, 2013, 07:03 AM
Apparently, they have also indicated that the "upgrades" will not actually begin until mid-September.

ejfalvo
September 7, 2013, 07:05 AM
I sent mine back in a small FedEx box, wrapped it in bubble wrap. Taped a business card to the firearm (you never know). Local FedEx office didnt say a word. Arrived Tues (9/3) at 9:45, along with 7K other XDs. Talked to SA and they expect 250K units to be returned. Normal turnaround would be 2-3 weeks, here they expect 4-6 weeks.

Back to the Sig P220 Compact for my EDC.

rhinoh
September 7, 2013, 11:29 AM
Arrived Tues (9/3) at 9:45, along with 7K other XDs.

I'm curious how you determined how many other XDs pistols were delivered the same day as yours? That is a staggering number for ONE day, or really even in total this early in the recall.

Capt. Ct.
September 9, 2013, 01:15 AM
I sent mine back Thursday the 5th. Supposed to arrive Monday the 9th. Second day air.

Bo
September 9, 2013, 05:47 AM
Did SA notify you that they received it? Just wondering, FedEx shipped mine last Tuesday, 9-3-13 and I haven't heard a word.

ejfalvo
September 9, 2013, 06:35 AM
Actually spoke with the SA CS manager who stated "we received over 7K units this morning". Perhaps it was a huge over-estimate, but IHHO, a huge amount of XDs was received. Far more than anticipated.

dgod
September 9, 2013, 08:46 AM
Place the Firearm in the original case, it fits into a Large Flat Box at FEDEX, with your RMA from Springfield it is VERY Painless. All of 5 minutes. BTW, Springfield has a Second Day Delivery Waiver, Ask the Shippers if they have facilities to store firearms overnight, and if not do you need additional insurance, They will get it out that evening if at all possible.

460Kodiak
September 9, 2013, 10:37 AM
Did SA notify you that they received it? Just wondering, FedEx shipped mine last Tuesday, 9-3-13 and I haven't heard a word.

No man, but if you put in your tracking number on Fedex's website it will tell you if it was delivered. That's how I confirmed delivery.

I sent mine on August 31st. Hope she comes home soon. I am carrying an SP-101 in the mean time, but boy am I remembering why I made the switch. IWB carry is so much easier with the XDs.

Kahuna5
September 9, 2013, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the info. Just notified a good friend who has one that falls into this recall. Hopefully everyone receives their SA's back in a timely manner!

Backroad
September 10, 2013, 12:16 PM
I think we should start a new thread to track when folks have sent theirs in and when they get them back....

al

Captains1911
September 10, 2013, 01:09 PM
I think we should start a new thread to track when folks have sent theirs in and when they get them back....

al
please don't, there are already tons of similar threads over on XDTalk, enough to cause nausea... They are acting as if the sky is falling...

GBExpat
September 10, 2013, 01:14 PM
please don't, there are already tons of similar threads over on XDTalk, enough to cause nausea... They are acting as if the sky is falling...

What he said.

gym
September 10, 2013, 01:46 PM
Here is my take, If you haven't already sent in your gun, then you may be better off waiting until you see when they are going to start returning them. If my gun is going to sit someplace for a few months, it may as well sit in my house. the likelihood of the gun having that issue is very low, "my opinion", since I have never heard of one having the issue, "either issue". Springfield says that it "could" happen, but as of yet there are no cases of it happening.
Also perhaps this may turn into a situation where they can send out the part if you so choose, and have it replaced yourself. I think that they had no idea of the gravity of how this would hit them until they see the thousands of guns coming in.
I had already gotten my RMA stamp sent to me, when I decided to wait. I have other guns to use and until I know exactly what part is bad, and how long it's going to take, the gun can sit here. There is a good chance that this occurrence will never even happen.
I sounds like you really have to worry upon loading the gun, so if it's in the nightstand there is a million to 1 chance that it's going to happen to your gun.
I don't suggest anyone do this, but it's what I am doing for now, until more information comes out. I don't need my gun rusting in some warehouse while they figure out that they underestimated the time frame on this which large companies are famous for. I would like to first know what they are replacing, and if they have the parts and manpower to do it in a timely manner or if the gun is going to be gone for 6 months.

jimbo555
September 10, 2013, 05:38 PM
I don't know what the fix is but on their website the pictures show a roll pin on the grip safety as an indicator of the recall being done.What could that roll pin do?

gym
September 11, 2013, 11:45 AM
It could be that simple, a roll pin may allow the grip safety to engage improperly thus causing the gun to fire. If that's all it is, I would get the part and fix it in 15 minutes myself rather than lay the gun up for who knows how long. But I would think there is more to it than that, otherwise why is it turning into a machine gun, unless it's the roll pin for the sear or it's the roll pin plus something else. I am sure one of our members will figure it out soon. That XD forum is scary, from looking at some of the posts, no one really knows what the problem is. It mentions roll pin, grip safety, and trigger assembly for the most part, but no one knows for sure what it is.
The fear is that hey are hiring non gunsmith people to get the guns done fast. Again, if it's the pin or safety or even a couple of springs, they "in my opinion" should give people the option of doing it themselves.
Some mentioned a new trigger assembly, which could make the gun less attractive if not engineered properly, "rushed". Perhaps we will learn more as the week comes to a close.
Many are holding off to see how long this is going to take, mainly for the reasons I mentioned above, if it's going to sit in a warehouse for 3 months, it may as well sit here and when they are finished rushing, then I will send mine in. Plus there may be other or better options down the line. Like a kit. I am no gunsmith, but opening up a Tupperware gun is pretty easy to do, I have done that many times, so if they are just dropping in a part or two, it should be an option. Probably for legal reasons of liability they haven't made it an option. If you don't put the parts in right, they would be liable for allowing you to do it.

skoro
September 11, 2013, 01:37 PM
Mine arrived at SA a week ago. It'll be "interesting" to see how long it takes for them to send it back. I'll let the forum know when I receive it.

ares338
September 11, 2013, 02:02 PM
This is the second trip for my XDs. Right at 400 rounds the slide lock lever broke on it and I sent it back in per instructions from SA. It's been 300 error free rounds and now the recall. FYI SA customer service was excellent the first time around and I got my pistol back in 8 days counting shipping. I think might be a little longer this time. Anyway we'll see!

460Kodiak
September 11, 2013, 06:52 PM
I'm sure there will be a flood of "I got my XDs back !" posts when they start coming home. I'm choosing to trust SA. I've never heard anything bad about their CS and yes even though they have a mountain of work to do and a lot of pistols to fix, I think they will likely be pretty dedicated since this gun only hit the market last year, and they are really pushing it.

And for good reason, it is a great carry option. I want another one even though I have no reason to buy a second one.

Now if they really want to keep their customers happy, each gun should come back with a free 5 round magazine. Doubt that would happen though.

slamfirev10
September 12, 2013, 01:10 PM
there are reports of the problems happening , just google "xds full auto"

watch this for a double fire: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0ob2nkeRGN4#t=15

slamfirev10
September 12, 2013, 01:12 PM
here is the slow mo of the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uoog6QLwHUg

at least it looks like it has an a+ rate of fire

gym
September 12, 2013, 04:33 PM
I can't tell anything from those. Am waiting for an official version of what is broken or requires replacement prior to shipping mine out I would pay for a new grip safety if that's all it is. There are already upgrades on the market "larger ones, and plated versions".
that's just me, follow your own feeling on it.

dab102999
September 28, 2013, 09:06 PM
Buddy of mine has a xds and was pretty bummed. He got a email today and this is part of what it said.

We originally estimated a 30-day turn-around time, but it has unfortunately taken longer to develop and identify an upgrade solution. Please know that we are continuing to test potential upgrade solutions at this time and we have been doing so since we became aware of this issue. This testing is nearing completion and we will post any new updates as soon as we have identified a final upgrade solution. We will post our next*update*no later than Friday, October 4, and we will communicate immediately if a final solution is identified prior to that date. We wish that we could provide you with a specific return date at this time, but we are unfortunately unable to do so. Upgrades will be completed on a "first come / first served" basis.

OilyPablo
September 28, 2013, 09:08 PM
Email from springfield:

Dear springfield customer,

We greatly appreciate the tremendous response to the 3.3 xd-s™ recall upgrade. We have received a
very large number of pistols in a very short time, and upgrades will be completed on a "first come / first served” basis.

The upgrade repair is in the final stage of testing, and should be determined soon. The xd-s™ pistols
already received at springfield will be upgraded and returned as soon as possible, beginning within the
next few weeks. Given the volume of xd-s™ pistols now on hand, we expect it will take eight to ten
weeks to upgrade and return the current inventory to their owners. Pistols currently being returned to
springfield for the upgrade, please allow approximately ten to twelve weeks turnaround time.

We are doing our best to increase the speed of the upgrade while maintaining a high level of safety and quality. As the upgrade process progresses, we are hopeful that the return time will become shorter.

We know it is inconvenient for you to be without your pistol, and we sincerely apologize. We assure you that we are working as fast as we can, and we know you will be very pleased with your upgraded 3.3
xd-s™. Thank you for your patience and loyalty. And remember; do not use your 3.3 xd-s™ until the upgrade has been performed.

Once your pistol has been upgraded and is shipping back to you, an e-mail confirmation and tracking information will be sent to you at the e-mail address you provided.

If you still have further questions please call 800-680-6866 or send your request again to recall@springfield-armory.com we appreciate your patience and support!

Sincerely,

team springfield

burk
September 28, 2013, 09:33 PM
One of my customers alerted me to this today. Apparently Springfield has not YET developed a fix!

We originally estimated a 30-day turn-around time, but it has unfortunately taken longer to develop and identify an upgrade solution. Please know that we are continuing to test potential upgrade solutions at this time and we have been doing so since we became aware of this issue. This testing is nearing completion and we will post any new updates as soon as we have identified a final upgrade solution. We will post our next update no later than Friday, October 4, and we will communicate immediately if a final solution is identified prior to that date. We wish that we could provide you with a specific return date at this time, but we are unfortunately unable to do so. Upgrades will be completed on a "first come / first served" basis.

www.springfieldrecall.com/Recall FAQ.asp

bigfatdave
September 28, 2013, 10:36 PM
Makes me glad I haven't sent in my two yet. No fix also implies that the rollpin in the grip safety is just a cosmetic indicator of the theoretical upgrade/repair and does nothing functional.
So now I have in the neighborhood of $1000 tied up in a pair of pistols that (in theory) aren't safe to even load, let alone carry or shoot.

I'm also annoyed that my simple questions via EMail haven't been answered, either directly or in the FAQ - Can I send both my XD(S) pistols in together, and is SA-inc going to get me a FedEx pickup?

I'm not inclined to make a PITA drive in my precious freetime to deal with a surly FedEx register/counter drone.

ole farmerbuck
September 28, 2013, 10:54 PM
Hmm, I'm glad I havent sent my 2 in either yet. I might start thinking, 'if it aint broke, dont fix it'.:confused:

TahoeDust
September 28, 2013, 11:01 PM
Hmm, I'm glad I havent sent my 2 in either yet. I might start thinking, 'if it aint broke, dont fix it'.:confused:
The only problem is you may not know it is broke until you have an "incident". There are some pretty scary stories I did not know about until the recall. Google XDS full auto or XDS slam fire.

chaddy
September 28, 2013, 11:28 PM
There's 2 9mm 1 45 at the gun store. I want the 45. What should I do.

OilyPablo
September 28, 2013, 11:35 PM
There's 2 9mm 1 45 at the gun store. I want the 45. What should I do.

Tell them about the recall???

Internet causes funny reading skills.

thefamcnaj
September 29, 2013, 12:31 AM
They received mine on 9/9/13.
I don't expect mine back until the end of October or beginning of November.
It bothers me that I have that much money tied up in a pistol that's doing me no good. I do haveother options as far as carrying goes.
SA customer service is top notch and I believe in them so ill be as patient as needbl be.
On the bright side I have enjoyed carrying my g19 again.

herrwalther
September 29, 2013, 06:34 AM
Had to convince (and slightly direct order) my LEO friend to send his back in. First thing he did when he read the recall was went out and fired 50 rounds through it. Decided not to send it back because it "worked fine." What convinced him was Springfield pays for shipping both ways. And I loaned him one of my backup pistols to serve as his temporary off duty weapon until he gets the XD-s back. Signed paperwork, witnesses and all that jazz for a loaner.

rhinoh
September 29, 2013, 08:49 AM
Springfield posted a notice on their website 9/27 that still have NO FIX for the recalled guns.
One of mine has been there for a month and they don't even know what they are going to do? Unbelievable.

Now where was that guy that said I should send both in and thought it was wrong of me to send ONE in and wait for its return before sending the other?
This kind of fishy business is exactly why I would not send both in at the same time.
They should offer full refunds if they can't do any better than that....

GBExpat
September 29, 2013, 09:47 AM
I am satisfied to keep my XDs45 in my south gunsafe until Springfield actually determines the source of the problem(s), develops a fix, designs/orders/receives the new part(s) and properly trains the repair techs.

O'course, I take it out periodically to test new loads that I am developing for it ... just got my CHRONY back from its memory upgrade. :)

Steve H
September 29, 2013, 10:46 AM
Damn.......sure glad I decided to wait to return mine. From what I have read on the XD site Springfield has a LOT of guns sitting there. There seem to be an opinion out there that the problem that prompted the recall may be user error, at least that is what one thread on the XDs website implies. This has me thinking more about picking up a 3.8 XDM in 45.

September 29, 2013, 11:59 AM
The fact that Springfield initiated a return without a solution is nothing short of a DISGRACE!! They should have been honest about it but some bean counter probably figured that this will cost them less money. I could care less about the wait since I much prefer a pair of Ruger KLCRs for CC but it does delay my ability to sell my XD-S. However, for others it's a much bigger deal and I would be livid if an XD-S I'd sent in was my only defensive pistol. I sold a NIB M1A Scout Squad recently at a profit (that the buyer claimed was defective and had to send to Springfield) and will make a sizable profit on the XD-S. I'm done with this company.

Steve H
September 29, 2013, 12:35 PM
This is from the XD forums. Not my post, nor my experience. I thought some of you may find it interesting.

"Well folks I think I just proved the theory correct. I just got back in the house after making my xds double fire two times (that's four shots total). First of all remember my xds has 1500+ rounds through it with zero issues so I trust this gun. What I did was use the seven round extended mag so I could maintain a secure grip on the pistol while not touching the grip safety. Using my own fairly light handloads (4.0gr bullseye/200gr LSWC) 750 fps, I loaded two rounds in the mag inserted it in the pistol and closed the slide like I normally would. Then I gripped the gun below the grip safety and used my left thumb to engage the grip safety just enough to allow me to start to pull the trigger. At this point I securely gripped the gun with both hands and firmly pulled the trigger all the way to the rear and held it there. BANG BANG two shots. It took me three tries to do this as not allowing the trigger to move forward under recoil with the akward grip proved difficult. I then reloaded two rounds and did it again just to be sure. BANG BANG! I then quit this nonsense and went back to shooting the gun normally just to function test it again after the experiment. It worked fine for 25 more rounds so I was satisfied and came in the house and started typing."

HOOfan_1
September 29, 2013, 01:19 PM
The fact that Springfield initiated a return without a solution is nothing short of a DISGRACE!!

They probably didn't want defective guns out there in circulation risking people's safety....

Rule3
September 29, 2013, 01:46 PM
If you wait to send it in you are just further back in the line. First in, First out.

So you wait either way just longer.

It's not a disgrace it's very smart business from a liability standpoint. They found a problem so get them out of peoples hands who will not listen to the warning and still fire it.
Then something bad happens and they will be the first to blame SA.

Same as folks who disregard reloading data and warnings and then blow up a gun, then it's the powder or guns fault:rolleyes:

bigfatdave
September 29, 2013, 06:18 PM
Can anyone else confirm that the "issue" is with partially depressed grip safety levers allowing the striker to trip/fire as the slide closes?

I might have to try that, under controlled conditions on the outdoor range with a 20' high backstop.
And if it really is the issue, I'll likely just bulk up the GS and wait for SA-inc to get their act together before sending in my guns.

September 29, 2013, 06:36 PM
It's not a disgrace it's very smart business from a liability standpoint. They found a problem so get them out of peoples hands who will not listen to the warning and still fire it.

I consider their lack of honesty to be a disgrace!! Read the last sentence. That was all they had to do until they identify a solution to the problem.

"We understand that our decision to announce a voluntary safety recall without a final solution in place has caused confusion and frustration. We sincerely apologize for that inconvenience. However, your safety is, and always has been, our paramount concern. And that is why we decided to issue the voluntary safety recall before we had a guaranteed upgrade solution in place.

Our decision not to wait was based on putting you, our customer, first. Some companies build in several weeks of lead time before announcing their recalls. But, we didn't feel that was the most responsible approach in this case since our priority is your safety.

Please know that we are committed to resolving this matter as quickly as possible and we are committed to ensuring that you will be very pleased with your upgraded 3.3 XD-S™. As a reminder, do not use your 3.3 XD-S™ until the upgrade has been performed."

GBExpat
September 29, 2013, 06:37 PM
If you wait to send it in you are just further back in the line. First in, First out.

So you wait either way just longer.

<shrug> Only an Issue for those who are not using their pistols at all prior to shipping them back.

OilyPablo
September 29, 2013, 06:39 PM
Frankly this does not look promising at all. If they have not identified a fix yet, it may not be fixable without some other serious compromise.

Rule3
September 29, 2013, 07:31 PM
I consider their lack of honesty to be a disgrace!! Read the last sentence. That was all they had to do until they identify a solution to the problem.

As a reminder, do not use your 3.3 XD-S™ until the upgrade has been performed."

You give a lot of people more credit than they deserve. Do you really think they will stop using them? There are several posts in this thread that state they will or not even send it back.

I went through the Ruger LCP recall, The SW Walther 380 recall, Now the SW Shield is borderline both trigger and bulging brass in 9mm. I do not like sending them in anymore than anyone else. But would rather let them have them and be in line to get it fixed than just holding it here in my safe. I never had a problem with SA and the XD and XDm. I have other guns to play with, if it was my first and only than sure I would be more upset.

I have reached a point where I don't care any more, Problems with many other "new" guns not recalls, just expensive guns that did not function so it gets old. I get more upset buying an expensive gun and it jams, stovepipes, FT fire or feed and then the company tries to make it your fault.:rolleyes:

Probably write a book but it's a whole other topic,

GBExpat
September 30, 2013, 09:04 AM
I consider their lack of honesty to be a disgrace!!

I wholeheartedly agree with you.

I think that it is utterly reprehensible.

Piratesailor
September 30, 2013, 09:48 AM
I've been following this recall, as an xds owner and a businessman, and SA has handled this recall poorly (huge understatement). Poor communication (or even zero communication), lack of transparency which is critical to protect the brand in a crisis/recall and inconsistent messaging.

Will they recover? Sure. A few years from now this will be a footnote however many will remember, specially if SA tries to release a "new" firearm of any type.

Hunter991
September 30, 2013, 11:06 AM
I have one that I am waiting for. SA really messed this up. I doubt I will trust them ever again.

skoro
September 30, 2013, 12:33 PM
Feels like the public was used as unpaid beta testers for their XDs line. As I understand it, the flaw was reported to SA by users, not identified by their own internal QC process.

Very sloppy on their part. But, having seen it's a problem, they're (hopefully) doing something to correct the flaw. So far, they certainly haven't been inspiring any confidence.

Today marks 1 month since I sent mine in. I hope to get it back before Thanksgiving, but that seems optimistic right now. Maybe xmas... :rolleyes:

460Kodiak
September 30, 2013, 01:00 PM
I know everyone is pissed about being without their guns, but we have to be patient. If they can't fix it I imagine they will offer the 3.8 in trade or offer refunds.

It sounds to me like they identified a potentially dangerous situation and called them back for our safety, and certainly for liability. Isn't that the responsible thing to do rather than take the time to figure out a fix while people are out walking around with a potentially defective and dangerous gun?

Personally, I think there is no problem with my gun, but if something happened, and I had an accident with an injury to myself or someone else, and I didn't send the gun in when they have spread the news far and wide that repairs are needed, who do you think would be held liable???? I would, because I was notified that I had an unsafe gun, and I chose to not send it in. I understand waiting for the que to shrink a bit, but I'd seriously rethink carrying the gun when they have specifically said "do not use it."

JMO. Yours will undoubtedly differ.

GBExpat
September 30, 2013, 01:14 PM
I understand waiting for the que to shrink a bit, but I'd seriously rethink carrying the gun when they have specifically said "do not use it."

I agree. Since reading about the Recall, I do not carry it and only use it for developing both loads and muscle memory for its particular form factor (for the time when a will use it for carry). I also will not charge it with a mag containing more than one round ... JIC.

Capt. Ct.
September 30, 2013, 03:45 PM
I ordered a spare magazine from SA. That was three months ago. I don't have it yet. If they can't even send a magazine in a reasonable amount of time I hate to think when I may get my gun back.

Captains1911
October 1, 2013, 11:47 AM
I know everyone is pissed about being without their guns, but we have to be patient. If they can't fix it I imagine they will offer the 3.8 in trade or offer refunds.

It sounds to me like they identified a potentially dangerous situation and called them back for our safety, and certainly for liability. Isn't that the responsible thing to do rather than take the time to figure out a fix while people are out walking around with a potentially defective and dangerous gun?

Personally, I think there is no problem with my gun, but if something happened, and I had an accident with an injury to myself or someone else, and I didn't send the gun in when they have spread the news far and wide that repairs are needed, who do you think would be held liable???? I would, because I was notified that I had an unsafe gun, and I chose to not send it in. I understand waiting for the que to shrink a bit, but I'd seriously rethink carrying the gun when they have specifically said "do not use it."

How were you notified? Apparently even people that registered their guns with SA weren't contacted directly by SA. This I will never understand.

Captains1911
October 1, 2013, 01:37 PM
I ordered a spare magazine from SA. That was three months ago. I don't have it yet. If they can't even send a magazine in a reasonable amount of time I hate to think when I may get my gun back.
ditto

ole farmerbuck
October 1, 2013, 11:20 PM
How were you notified? Apparently even people that registered their guns with SA weren't contacted directly by SA. This I will never understand.
Yep, if I hadn't read it here, I would have never known.

ares338
October 2, 2013, 07:33 AM
I was NOT notified by Springdield or the LGS I purchased my XDs from. That is the thing that chaps my butt. Like a lot of people I learned of the recall on a forum. :fire:

GBExpat
October 2, 2013, 08:29 AM
Just gotta wonder how many folks who purchased an XDs do not frequent online forums and, therefore, may not be aware of the potential danger.

460Kodiak
October 2, 2013, 10:21 AM
Yeah, I guess you guys are right. I read it on hear as well. Website, and forums reach a lot of people, but not all. Does the latest NRA pub have a notice? Just wondering.

Anyone who has a GS and carries SA guns aught to have the notice posted on the counter too hey?

herkyguy
October 2, 2013, 04:35 PM

problem is I don't want the 3.8 XDM. I want a single stack 45 that conceals under a t-shirt. and I don't want the extra weight of the 3.8 either. That's why I bought the daggone thing.

But maybe, just maybe if they offered me a chrome slide........

BigWoolyBanjo
October 2, 2013, 04:39 PM
Would you prefer to have your gun REGISTERED so that the manufacturer (and anyone who wants to audit them) knows to contact you?...

GBExpat
October 2, 2013, 04:57 PM
Would you prefer to have your gun REGISTERED so that the manufacturer (and anyone who wants to audit them) knows to contact you?...

Many/most of us have registered our purchases with SA, BWB.

chaddy
October 2, 2013, 05:45 PM
Anybody think Springfield will ever find a fix?

lauderdale
October 2, 2013, 05:50 PM
I seen the recall on here 3dys ago, printed shipping label and called, they called next, I have to say when I was also told no fix I was left wondering. am reloading and changing press over to 40 s&w in a few mins. and got a new vega holster for my 40c m&p! They should give us an option of upgrading no?

460Kodiak
October 2, 2013, 08:39 PM
Anybody think Springfield will ever find a fix?

I'm sure they will. It hasn't been that long yet. Give them time to work.

460Kodiak
October 2, 2013, 08:49 PM
problem is I don't want the 3.8 XDM. I want a single stack 45 that conceals under a t-shirt. and I don't want the extra weight of the 3.8 either. That's why I bought the daggone thing.

Same here. I also bought an extended mag and a hybrid holster for mine. Both would be worthless if they can't fix it. I'm confident they will though.

I'd take a stainless 5.25 .45 though. My point was just that I'm sure they'll make it right. They'd ruin their rep otherwise.

Captains1911
October 3, 2013, 09:21 AM
I'm sure they will. It hasn't been that long yet. Give them time to work.
I'm sure they will. I only hope that it doesn't alter the feel of the gun in any way. I was really starting to fall in love with mine, especially since I had just put it through a 2 day training course.

gym
October 3, 2013, 12:41 PM
I recommended not sending your gun in until they came out and stated what it was that was wrong with it in the first place.
This because it may have been a drop in part that you could have done yourself at home.
I kind of felt that they did no know what was wrong with the guns, and it turns out I was right.
If the gun is going to sit on loading dock someplace it may as well sit here in my safe.
Honestly, if they hadn't have told us anything was wrong, we never would have known.
It's probably as safe to carry the gun now, as it was for the 2 prior years. If this was a one in ten million occurrence, the odds are you will win the lotto before your gun goes full auto.
Plus there maybe a fix a month from now that is a drop in part. I am not carrying mine full time as I used to, but it can still sit in the nightstand with my other weapon. I am sure it will fire if and when needed and probably never do either of those two things that they don't know how to fix in the first place. Just aim at the floor when loading, lol,
If it goes full auto when I am aiming at a bad guy, it may be the first legal full auto xds pistol I have seen. I sincerely doubt that will happen.
In any case with a hundred thousand guns to fix, and no fix in sight, it will be a long time before any of those guns come home. There are after market grip safety's that are sold by other manufacturers, if that is the part , I will just order one and put it in myself. Rather spend 50-75 dollars than lose a gun for what may end up a year.
Watch for a class action lawsuit next, things like this have put companies out of business before. I don't wish them any harm, "I like their guns". But they better get their ass moving on at least coming up with what the problem is, or they may find this to be something they can never recover from.

herkyguy
October 3, 2013, 12:48 PM
Same here. I also bought an extended mag and a hybrid holster for mine. Both would be worthless if they can't fix it. I'm confident they will though.

I'd take a stainless 5.25 .45 though. My point was just that I'm sure they'll make it right. They'd ruin their rep otherwise.
I also have the extended mag and a crossbreed OWB holster for it that just sits atop my safe right now. frustrating to say the least. I was really starting to enjoy shooting it.

An XDsc in 9mm stands duty in a pistol safe upstairs, mostly because it got to be a bit heavy for CCW when I first bought it a few years ago. Great gun, just not what I want to carry. same for the 3.8 i suspect.

But, being the rational guy I am, I would also settle for an EMP in 9mm with the wooden grips.

Springfield, you here me out there?

jimbo555
October 3, 2013, 04:23 PM
I purchased a glock 36 yesterday. Couldn't wait any longer for the xds to come back. First 100 rounds of fmj blazer fired without incident. It beats up my knuckle some,but so far I'm pleased. If and when the xds returns I will see if I keep both.

460Kodiak
October 3, 2013, 04:53 PM
EMP……yes…yeeeees

XD 45acp
October 3, 2013, 06:52 PM
I have both the XDs and XD45. My service model has never failed me, the XDs has had issues from day one (light strikes, ect), and now this. As soon as it comes back, It's a goner. I'm going back to a XD9SC. I still have faith in Springfield Armory, just not my XDs.

gym
October 3, 2013, 11:50 PM
It's a shame because so many guys were using that gun as their EDC. It had the size and weight down perfect for a 45. I went to a PM9, and will see if this ever gets fixed what I will do. I may just use my Glock30 or go for a Pro series S&W 1911 compact.
I prefer a 45, as long as it is small and light enough.
That Liberty ammo helps cut down weight with a 78 grain 45 round.

XD 45acp
October 4, 2013, 03:07 PM
Here is the latest update just released

XD-S™ Voluntary Safety Recall FAQ
Updated Oct. 4, 2013
This information applies only to XD-S™ pistols in the serial number ranges below
Springfield 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm pistols - serial numbers between XS900000 and XS938700
Springfield 3.3 XD-S™ .45ACP pistols - serial numbers between XS500000 and XS686300

This Springfield XD-S™ Recall FAQ will be updated every Friday through the recall process. Please check back for updates.

Thank you for the positive response to our voluntary safety recall and to our most recent update. We exercised extreme caution by issuing this recall and we did so because safety is, and always has been, our paramount concern. We truly appreciate the enormous support, patience and loyalty of our customers and we remain committed to resolving this matter quickly and ensuring that you are pleased with your upgraded 3.3 XD-S™.

As we noted in last Friday's update, our testing of potential upgrade solutions has continued and we are pleased to tell you that we have made significant progress over the last seven days. We have now identified what we believe is our final upgrade solution and throughout this coming week we will be continuing with our thorough and exhaustive testing of that solution. It's because of our commitment to your safety that we are conducting such extensive testing and we are working as fast as we can so that we can return your upgraded pistol to you.

We understand that our voluntary safety recall has made it inconvenient for you to be without your pistol, and we sincerely apologize for that. We expect to have more definitive information to share with you by Friday, October 11.

As a reminder, do not use your 3.3 XD-S™ until the upgrade has been performed

460Kodiak
October 4, 2013, 05:19 PM
Getting closer...... If you believe them. I do

Thanks for the update

OilyPablo
October 4, 2013, 06:18 PM
Thanks for monitoring their site for us.

Hunter991
October 4, 2013, 07:49 PM
That's the point. They have had it longer than I have

October 5, 2013, 02:43 AM
So, no fix and no refund? Am I hearing this right? They are just sitting on the pistols telling people to wait indefinetly?

TahoeDust
October 5, 2013, 03:56 AM
So, no fix and no refund? Am I hearing this right? They are just sitting on the pistols telling people to wait indefinetly?
Yep. That pretty much sums it up.

tnxdshooter
October 5, 2013, 05:34 AM
Yep. That pretty much sums it up.

It's sounding like a lawsuit is about the only thing going to get Springfield to make this right. Either for refund or trades for a different model.

Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.

dab102999
October 5, 2013, 05:52 AM
I totally get all the frustration but I have a question for a ffl...if they would even answer it anyways.

roughly 38699 9MM and roughly 186299 45 ACP's are in this recall. Besides adding in all the extra cost involved what would be a close monitary value of this to Springfield. I know what the average joe buys it for isn't what the ffl gave for it but I am also sure they ffl isn't making 300 on each gun either.

skoro
October 5, 2013, 10:56 AM
Reader's Digest version:

"We haven't even begun to start repairing your pistols. Keep waiting patiently. We'll get this figured out eventually. We think."

;)

OilyPablo
October 5, 2013, 11:35 AM
This just in. Squalid and late is no way to run a company.

Dear Springfield Customer,

We understand that our voluntary safety recall has made it inconvenient for you to be without your pistol, and we sincerely apologize for that.

Once your pistol has been upgraded and is shipped back to you, an e-mail confirmation with tracking information will be sent to you at the e-mail address you provided.

gym
October 5, 2013, 12:05 PM
It is going to be in the 20+ million at $300 per gun, "just playing with some imaginary numbers", If the guns cost 3 hundred to make, and there are 250,000 of them. "Assuming that number is somewhat close" This may cost the 20-50 million dollars, if they had to refund 400 dollars, per gun. It would be cheaper to offer a new gun, like the 3.8, or a gift card, once you turn in your gun. If the cost of the labor shipping and parts, exceeds their cost for a new firearm, could that happen?
Or would that tarnish their reputation forever, as the company that couldn't fix their own product, "even if it were easier". It has to take a lot of time to fix a quarter million guns, and run your normal production lines. Does anyone think they would put a safety on the frame?
I just got the email from them while posting, says no self install kit along with the other stuff mentioned. Also the roll pin on the grip release is one of the fixes.
I am still holding on to mine, why would a roll pin in the grip safety stop the problem, if it just goes through the plastic?

bigfatdave
October 5, 2013, 12:10 PM
I can't see a rollpin through the grip safety as anything but a cosmetic thing to indicate a post-recall gun.

If someone can show me that I'm wrong on that, I'd be delighted.

GBExpat
October 5, 2013, 12:16 PM
OilyPablo, I received the same email this morning.

I figured that it must be a non-specific response to the email that I sent them in late August.

Perhaps this is their belated effort to notify all registered owners, y'think?

dgod
October 7, 2013, 09:22 AM
I spoke with Customer service, they are saying about 30 days, give or take, mine is due back this week, we will see...

Captains1911
October 7, 2013, 10:32 AM
It is going to be in the 20+ million at $300 per gun, "just playing with some imaginary numbers", If the guns cost 3 hundred to make, and there are 250,000 of them. "Assuming that number is somewhat close" This may cost the 20-50 million dollars, if they had to refund 400 dollars, per gun. It would be cheaper to offer a new gun, like the 3.8, or a gift card, once you turn in your gun. If the cost of the labor shipping and parts, exceeds their cost for a new firearm, could that happen?
Or would that tarnish their reputation forever, as the company that couldn't fix their own product, "even if it were easier". It has to take a lot of time to fix a quarter million guns, and run your normal production lines. Does anyone think they would put a safety on the frame?
I just got the email from them while posting, says no self install kit along with the other stuff mentioned. Also the roll pin on the grip release is one of the fixes.
I am still holding on to mine, why would a roll pin in the grip safety stop the problem, if it just goes through the plastic?
If they send me back a gun with a manual safety I will be a little upset, considering one of the main reasons I purchased it in the first place was because it had no manual safety.

Mainsail
October 7, 2013, 11:18 AM
If the guns cost 3 hundred to make...

I seriously doubt they cost $300 a copy to make.

When the AF went to the M9, those of us that were required to carry concealed under a flightsuit cried. I started an effort to get the Glock G19 as a carry gun for aircrews. Glock sent me a huge package of literature on their guns, and the price they would sell them to the AF for.

That’s where the project died. The AF was paying $199 per for the M9.

meef
October 7, 2013, 05:05 PM
"If they send me back a gun with a manual safety I will be a little upset, considering one of the main reasons I purchased it in the first place was because it had no manual safety."

While that would no doubt be an annoying situation - the quick fix for their manual safety would be... just don't engage the darn thing.

:D

herrwalther
October 7, 2013, 08:13 PM
I can't see a rollpin through the grip safety as anything but a cosmetic thing to indicate a post-recall gun.

If someone can show me that I'm wrong on that, I'd be delighted.

I imagine that is the reason since their is no released information on what the fix actually is. The only other reason I can think of is the grip safety is part of the upgrade, the part that they have figured out so far.

This recall doesn't make me disappointed with Springfield. Every large firearm company has gone through recalls and most have survived. I still carry my XD and plan on getting more including an (upgraded) XD-s.

meef
October 9, 2013, 08:49 PM
Visual only this time.

http://springfieldrecall.com/Images/Upgrades_2.jpg

October 9, 2013, 08:53 PM
The latest notification from SA - the included image is a little big, but it is informative.

You're about three weeks behind with that post.

To receive updates by text message, text XDS to 25827

October 9, 2013, 08:56 PM
I received this email notice from "Team Springfield" about an hour ago.

XD-S™ Recall Update 10/09/2013
XD-S™ Upgrade Testing Very Near Completion

We last updated this site Friday, October 4, with the good news that we have found what we believe is the final solution for the XD-S™ upgrade and that we would be continuing exhaustive testing through the week.

We are very pleased to let you know that a large majority of the testing is complete and is going extremely well. We believe we are very close to being able to give our valued customers more specific information about when they can expect their XD-S™ pistols to be returned to them.

We will update this site again on Friday, October 11 and fully expect that we will have more great news to share.We are making final arrangements for upgrading the pistols that our customers returned to us.

In the meantime, please accept our heartfelt thanks for your patience, loyalty and support of Springfield Armory®. We remain fully committed to resolving this recall as quickly as possible and we are confident that you will be extremely pleased with your upgraded 3.3 XD-S™.

As a reminder, do not use your 3.3 XD-S™ until the upgrade has been performed.**

meef
October 9, 2013, 09:07 PM
You're right, I missed getting the correct update in there.

I'm gonna go out in the backyard now, fill the hot tub with tar and feathers and immerse myself.

:(

Captains1911
October 10, 2013, 09:04 AM
I received this email notice from "Team Springfield" about an hour ago.

XD-S™ Recall Update 10/09/2013
XD-S™ Upgrade Testing Very Near Completion

We last updated this site Friday, October 4, with the good news that we have found what we believe is the final solution for the XD-S™ upgrade and that we would be continuing exhaustive testing through the week.

We are very pleased to let you know that a large majority of the testing is complete and is going extremely well. We believe we are very close to being able to give our valued customers more specific information about when they can expect their XD-S™ pistols to be returned to them.

We will update this site again on Friday, October 11 and fully expect that we will have more great news to share.We are making final arrangements for upgrading the pistols that our customers returned to us.

In the meantime, please accept our heartfelt thanks for your patience, loyalty and support of Springfield Armory®. We remain fully committed to resolving this recall as quickly as possible and we are confident that you will be extremely pleased with your upgraded 3.3 XD-S™.

As a reminder, do not use your 3.3 XD-S™ until the upgrade has been performed.**

It would be nice if they would provide a little more technical information regarding what exactly they are testing. I'm getting tired of the lawyer updates.

gym
October 10, 2013, 10:37 AM
Yes I agree, either it's fixed or it's not. What's with the "getting close" bull. It's not the Space Shuttle, either they found out what was wrong, or they didn't.

skoro
October 10, 2013, 11:41 AM
"Please wait patiently for awhile longer while we still try to get this figured out. We've only had your pistol for a little over a month. We'll return it someday. Probably."

:rolleyes:

herkyguy
October 10, 2013, 01:50 PM
I support Springfield, but quit it with the "we have great news...we've made just a tiny bit of progress" nonsense.

Just lay it out. Here's what I want to know:

1. We have isolated the problem to XXXX

2. We are currently modifying the XXXX component

3. Testing should be complete by XX/XX/XXXX

4. Repairs to returned pistols will begin on XX/XX/XXXX

5. The expected turnaround time is XXXX

just lay out the facts. enough of the politicking.

Prince Yamato
October 10, 2013, 11:38 PM
I'm betting the problem requires a complete reengineering of the trigger group and they can't fit it within the dimensions of the pistol. If it's taking this long, it means there's something that they can't figure out. Basically the fix won't fit the frame. They're probably discussing what reimbursement for the pistols will be or something to that extent. It's like the old Vektor pistols; the parent company realizes it's cheaper to refund than fix the problem with the gun.

Is there a chance the guns have to go back to Croatia? That's where they're made.

WYO
October 11, 2013, 09:25 AM
I don't see how you can state this unequivocally. There could be patent questions that would require research and, possibly, negotiations and contracts. Further, if it took over a year to find the problem I can understand that there would be some caution in saying that a solution conjured up in a couple of weeks was 100% good to go.

Captains1911
October 11, 2013, 11:27 AM
The design flaw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiDL8cxVNMw

gym
October 11, 2013, 11:37 AM
Watched the video, now what, can this be fixed, or are they going to have to refund money or replace the gun with a gift card, or something else. I appears that it's not easy to fix this.

OilyPablo
October 11, 2013, 11:43 AM
Today is supposed to be the big announcement of the real fix.

Tommygunn
October 11, 2013, 11:48 AM
Captains1911;
Wow. That is as bad as I'd imagined from what I'd heard. The trigger doesn't reset when the slide cycles when grip safety is not enagaged!
As the video stated correctly the slide ought not even cycle!!!!!!
I am doubly glad I sent mine in. I hope they get this fixed.
That video gave me separation anxiety though, cause that two-toned job he used looked EXACTLY like mine, and if it was a .45 it WAS exactly like mine (maybe it really WAS mine???...nawwww, mine's being fixed. ;) )

Mainsail
October 11, 2013, 02:45 PM
As the video stated correctly the slide ought not even cycle!!!!!!
Says who? Springfield was criticized for that 'feature' in their other XD pistols. The slide should cycle without the grip safety depressed, however the trigger (and the safeties connected to it) should reset when the slide comes forward. That's the issue the video mentions.

GBExpat
October 11, 2013, 03:33 PM
I saw this flaw demonstrated a week or two ago in a YouTube Vid by another, less excitable, fellow.

Bottom line, if you "tape down" the grip safety, everything else in the Safeties System will always work as it should.

Captains1911
October 11, 2013, 03:34 PM
Update from SA:

http://www.springfieldrecall.com/RecallUpdate.asp

OilyPablo
October 11, 2013, 03:34 PM
XD-S™ Recall Update 10/11/2013

We are pleased to announce that our testing was successful and is complete.
We will receive our first shipment of upgrade parts early next week and will begin shipping upgraded XD-S™ pistols back to our customers the week of October 21 on a first-received/first-upgraded basis.

Once your pistol has been upgraded and is shipped back to you, an e-mail confirmation with tracking information will be sent to you at the e-mail address you provided.
For additional update information please click the link below to view the FAQ for the XD-S™ recall. If this document doesn't address your question, please call 800-680-6866 or send your question to recall@springfield-armory.com

http://springfieldrecall.com/Recall%20FAQ.asp

slamfirev10
October 11, 2013, 03:43 PM
thanks for the vid Captains1911

not good

jimbo555
October 11, 2013, 04:56 PM
Free extended mag,sounds good to me!

herkyguy
October 11, 2013, 04:57 PM
Glad to finally know what the daggone problem was. I never noticed it myself after putting a couple of hundred rounds downrange.

Now comes the long wait for repair and shipping......

gym
October 11, 2013, 05:17 PM
Well looks like I can send mine in now that they figured it out.

OilyPablo
October 11, 2013, 05:19 PM
Now it's finally (feeling) good to be one who sent it in the first day.

XD 45acp
October 11, 2013, 06:02 PM
The grip safety always did feel mushy weak. Of course thats comparing it to my full size XD.

lauderdale
October 11, 2013, 06:21 PM
Thanks Captian! sure apprc. the info. They have been known to be reputable,i will have patience!

Simmy952
October 12, 2013, 07:47 AM
Just got this last night -

XD-S™ Recall Update 10/11/2013

We are pleased to announce that our testing was successful and is complete.

We will receive our first shipment of upgrade parts early next week and will begin shipping upgraded XD-S™ pistols back to our customers the week of October 21 on a first-received/first-upgraded basis.

For additional update information please click the link below to view the FAQ for the XD-S™ recall. If this document doesn't address your question, please call 800-680-6866 or send your question to recall@springfield-armory.com

herkyguy
October 12, 2013, 03:05 PM
Anyone else notice on the website they said you'll get a free extended mag and grip insert?

Nice of them to include.

OilyPablo
October 12, 2013, 03:16 PM
It's like no one is reading previous posts. Dept of Double Redundancy.

powder
October 13, 2013, 01:12 AM
Sooo what was the problem?

Captains1911
October 13, 2013, 11:57 AM
It's like no one is reading previous posts. Dept of Double Redundancy.
You noticed that too...

Tommygunn
October 13, 2013, 04:16 PM
Heard on Tom Gresham's GUNTALK:

The "fix" is a new grip safety as well as a more positive interface between the sear & trigger. The representative on the show from Springfield said it was so simple it was ... sorta hard to think up I guess. The rep also stated there will be a roll pin visible on the grip safety as pictured earlier in this thread.
Guns will start shipping back in a three+ weeks.

gym
October 13, 2013, 11:07 PM
I'll wait to see how long they average on the return. I may sell my house by then the way it looks.

Gun Geezer
October 15, 2013, 07:28 PM
I have not seen one for sale at any gun store in the last 3 weeks. Has Springfield stopped shipping new ones?

Captains1911
October 15, 2013, 09:24 PM
I have not seen one for sale at any gun store in the last 3 weeks. Has Springfield stopped shipping new ones?
I'm sure they have. No point in shipping firearms that need to returned for a recall.

sithlord3
October 15, 2013, 09:47 PM
hopefully wont be too long before the 2nd gens start to show up....I have been waiting since September 5th for one...;)

October 18, 2013, 03:32 PM
Just got a text from Springfield to say that they've started shipping pistols back!! :D Heck, maybe I'll keep it.

http://www.springfieldrecall.com/RecallUpdate.asp

meef
October 18, 2013, 05:42 PM
Specifically:

XD-S™ Recall Update 10/18/2013

We are pleased to announce that the process of upgrading XD-S™pistols has begun, and we will start shipping TODAY on a first-received/first-upgraded basis.
In our last update, we reported that upgraded pistols would start shipping sometime next week. But our team has been working around the clock and we are thrilled to start shipping today.

powder
October 18, 2013, 05:50 PM
The "fix" is a new grip safety as well as a more positive interface between the sear & trigger. The representative on the show from Springfield said it was so simple it was ... sorta hard to think up I guess. The rep also stated there will be a roll pin visible on the grip safety as pictured earlier in this thread.
Guns will start shipping back in a three+ weeks.

Meh, doesn't sound too bad or abnormal production probs..

Captains1911
October 18, 2013, 06:53 PM
I'm not too happy about the disclosure that the mods will increase the pull weight of the trigger. We will see.

Tommygunn
October 18, 2013, 07:24 PM
That may not be such a bad thing, safety wise ...but if it makes it really obnoxiously heavy in terms of trigger pull, yes on a small pistol that WOULD be bad.
As you say, we will see . . . .

OilyPablo
October 18, 2013, 07:32 PM
Define: just a slightly increased trigger pull.

bigfatdave
October 19, 2013, 04:33 PM
Great.

Now I wait for reports on the trigger pull change. They claim "smoother", so I'm not entirely pessimistic about it.
The XD(S) is a nice little gun, but neither of ours has a nice trigger, exactly. Not like the XD45c or XD9sc - those have very nice triggers for striker-fired guns, in my opinion.

460Kodiak
October 19, 2013, 10:25 PM
I got a mailing from SA today about the recall. Ummm I sent mine in august 31. Weird.

I'm just glad they found a fix. I miss me little ole 45.

aeriedad
October 19, 2013, 10:59 PM
I got the same letter.

GBExpat
October 20, 2013, 07:24 AM
I got a mailing from SA today about the recall. Ummm I sent mine in august 31. Weird.

They are probably just shotgunning all info ... everyone in their XDs dB(s) gets all notifications.

Easier, cheaper and safer that way. :)

jimbo555
October 20, 2013, 08:26 AM
Miss mine too,Won't be long now!

Captains1911
October 20, 2013, 09:59 AM
I had over 500 rounds through my XDs before sending it in, without a single reliability issue of any kind. 500 rounds is usually my preferred minimum before trusting a gun for defense.

I'm now curios as to how many additional rounds other people will feel comfortable with after getting theirs back, assuming they were satisfied with the reliability before sending it in, and considering the technicalities of the repair. Do you treat it as a new gun and start over?

OilyPablo
October 20, 2013, 10:08 AM
I had over 500 rounds through my XDs before sending it in, without a single reliability issue of any kind. 500 rounds is usually my preferred minimum before trusting a gun for defense.

I'm now curious as to how many additional rounds other people will feel comfortable with after getting theirs back, assuming they were satisfied with the reliability before sending it in, and considering the technicalities of the repair. Do you treat it as a new gun and start over?

I had well over 500 through mine and not a hint of a problem. For me if a gun can shoot 100 or maybe 200 rounds reliably, then it should shoot 1000-2000 or 10,000-20,000. Maybe it comes down to what the failure mechanism is - did these parts reach some wear state? Were some parts at the minimum material condition? I believe Springfield mentioned parts with more and beefier material.

But also I thought one issue was the ability to rack the slide without the palm safety, therefore chambering a round, but not resetting the trigger, leaving the firing pin unrestrained other than the firing pin spring.

gym
October 20, 2013, 12:04 PM
I still have mine, and re checked it a hundred times, safety's work fine. The trigger resets just like it is supposed to. I understand the gravity of the situation, but will wait until they get these guns out of the way, before being without a gun that works fine, at the present time.
As long as it's pointed in a safe direction when loading it, the most that can happen is a hollowpoint hit's a concrete slab.

samurai
October 20, 2013, 12:06 PM
Received an email stating one of mine would be back on Tuesday

borgranta
October 20, 2013, 03:54 PM
BUYER BEWARE: Rural King is selling the the recalled XDs in unrepaired condition and admitted that they were the recalled ones and were unrepaired affording to a poster on http://illinoiscarry.com/forum

borgranta
October 20, 2013, 04:04 PM
Apparently their have been some incidents of slamfiring due to the defect and in other cases the defect only resulted in the primer getting dented.

powder
October 20, 2013, 10:33 PM
If you all want an excellent polymer trigger, find a PPQ M2.

460Kodiak
October 21, 2013, 10:56 AM
Received an email stating one of mine would be back on Tuesday

Just curious samurai, when did you send yours in? I'm just trying to establish a time frame.

gym
October 21, 2013, 05:05 PM
Got a letter today, asking for my gun. It's funny they must follow the forum because I didn't buy mine from a gun store, I bought it from a private party, who I am sure only knew my first name if that, when we looked at ID"S, So either he has the best memory, "over a year", "maybe more" or they got my name from some ware, like perhaps a warrantee registration I don't remember filling out. Watch out for black helicopters.

Mainsail
October 21, 2013, 11:00 PM
I got a letter in the mail today asking me to send mine in, except it's already there.

Backroad
October 22, 2013, 09:15 AM
had the same experience as Mainsail - sent mine in 8/2, got a letter in the mail asking for it on 10/15.

Al

Mainsail
October 22, 2013, 09:35 AM
I heard on another forum that they've started trickling back to their owners....

....now begins the endless whining about the returned condition, trigger pull, etc. I hope it doesn't become another standard weekly thread like bear guns or open carry. :barf:

horsemen61
October 22, 2013, 10:00 AM
Hey y'all would you carry your xds in bear country :neener:.

Captains1911
October 22, 2013, 11:23 AM
Hey y'all would you carry your xds in bear country :neener:.
or, if you could only have one gun.....

Back on topic...I have read a few reports indicating the trigger is a bit smoother as result of the "upgrade," and the increased pull weight is barely noticeable, maybe 1/2 lb or so. I Also read that the "upgrade" is not a bandaid fix but the standard moving forward on new production XDs guns. Certainty encouraging news if it turns out to be accurate.

I really miss my XDs, looking forward to its return.

hypno444
October 23, 2013, 09:04 AM
Got an email with shipping data saying my XDs will be here today. Sent it in about a month ago, when the notice first came out. It arrived via Fed EX about 1000 this morning. Came with an extra 7 round magazine.

GBExpat
October 23, 2013, 10:52 AM
I received my Springfield XDs RECALL letter yesterday, the 22nd. It is dated the 11th.

After I read some good reports from folks testing their returned pistols and it appears to me that SA has sent most of The Surge back, I will send mine in.

thefamcnaj
October 23, 2013, 11:41 AM
I got a letter from them in the mail yesterday from SA saying I need to send my xds into them because my serial number falls in range of the recall. They already have my xds.
The only thing was they had the wrong serial number on my letter. I'm going to call them today and make sure I get my name matched up with my serial number in their system. I understand they are buried in work and I hate to call them, but this could be a potentially bad problem.

460Kodiak
October 24, 2013, 12:30 AM
Got an email with shipping data saying my XDs will be here today. Sent it in about a month ago, when the notice first came out. It arrived via Fed EX about 1000 this morning

You know, I'm trying to be patient but this makes me a little mad. I'm happy for anyone who has gotten their pistol back, but I sent mine in almost 2 months ago and haven't heard a thing. I thought it was going to be first come first serve. My patience is fading.

Tommygunn
October 24, 2013, 12:53 AM
460Kodiak, yea, I'm in the same boat you are. I get the standard generic weekly upadate e-mail but that's it.:mad:

OilyPablo
October 24, 2013, 06:24 AM
I've not a heard a peep on mine and it went back the day of........whine whine whine :D Just want my small .45 back!!

Captains1911
October 24, 2013, 08:28 AM
If you guys want to complain about not getting your pistols back yet, go over to XDtalk and do it, you will fit right in. There are thousands of people whose pistols arrived at SA the first day and haven't heard anything back, myself included. Patience is a virtue.

October 24, 2013, 10:04 AM
I sent mine in almost 2 months ago and haven't heard a thing.

I sent mine in on August 30th so that's eight weeks this Friday. My house goes on the market on 11/1 and I'm leaving Arkansas on 11/7 and so I'll most likely have to ask Springfield to send it to an FFL here in Arkansas.

slamfirev10
October 24, 2013, 11:45 AM
sent mine 8/30

received by sa 9/3 (remember 9/2 was a holiday so sa received a ton on 9/3)

last night was status received

this morning: Your Recall Status: Your Gun has been Fixed

looks like next week for me

herkyguy
October 24, 2013, 12:09 PM
anyone else think it's weird that Springfield kept marketing the crap out of the XDs despite the recall? I appreciate them initiating the recall and i'm not complaining about not having my XDs with me for an extended period of time, but it seems a bit shady to me that they kept littering the magazines with advertisements minus any mention of the gun's problems.

460Kodiak
October 24, 2013, 01:54 PM
Just because they were marketing doesn't mean you could find one in stores. I haven't seen one since the recall started. I'm sure they still plan to sell a bunch afterwards, especially now that the bugs are getting worked out. While the entire deal has been irritating, I still love the gun and can't wait to have it back.

I may pick up a lightly used second one as I'm sure plenty of people will get theirs back, not trust it any more, and ditch it.

Outlaw Man
October 24, 2013, 03:02 PM
The recall has only been going for a couple months. Generally those kinds of magazines are printed weeks before you see them and things like advertisements are decided long before that. I'd be willing to bet they paid for a block of advertising over a six month period or longer.

Vodoun da Vinci
October 24, 2013, 03:11 PM
I may pick up a lightly used second one as I'm sure plenty of people will get theirs back, not trust it any more, and ditch it.

Yup. Me too. Some folks are bound to be put off permanently which is unfortunate. I still have a huge desire to own and shoot an XD-S in .45 so when the smoke has cleared I'll be in the market for a new one or a low round count used one.

This whole ordeal has been frustrating but the springer XD-S is still a very potent and functional piece. If they have the bugs worked out I'm ready to go!

VooDoo

DAdams
October 24, 2013, 10:54 PM
Mine will be back soon. I haven't missed it but I'll be glad to have it back.
In the interim XDm compact .45 has sufficed.

rhinoh
October 25, 2013, 04:44 AM
You know, I'm trying to be patient but this makes me a little mad. I'm happy for anyone who has gotten their pistol back, but I sent mine in almost 2 months ago and haven't heard a thing. I thought it was going to be first come first serve. My patience is fading.
I'm with you- sent one of mine in almost TWO months ago also..to hear of someone getting theirs back in ONE month is disturbing. I suspect the poster got his date wrong.
Heck one person in this thread sent his in 3 weeks before the recall was even announced!

xwingband
October 25, 2013, 07:06 PM
The latest email has a video and boy is it interesting to see pallets of XD-S's. I didn't send it in the case with mine so I imagine there were a good amount of others around too.

I kind of miss my XD-S because I'm carrying everyday now where I didn't before and the width helped.

Captains1911
October 25, 2013, 09:32 PM
I'm with you- sent one of mine in almost TWO months ago also..to hear of someone getting theirs back in ONE month is disturbing. I suspect the poster got his date wrong.
Heck one person in this thread sent his in 3 weeks before the recall was even announced!
They are still working on guns that arrived on 9/3. They just started shipping those pistols back to the owners last week. Therefore there is no way possible that somebody received theirs back in a month. Mine was delivered the morning if 9/3 and I haven't heard squat. I hope it to be soon but I'm not going to complain about it, I'm sick of the whining.

DAdams
October 26, 2013, 12:06 AM
Anguishing does no good. Keep it or sell it when it comes back.
Has anyone been in
a gun fight where the outcome would have been different if you were carrying your XDs and didn't have it? What were you carrying previously. It worked then, I am assuming you are carrying it now.

GBExpat
October 26, 2013, 07:49 AM
The latest email has a video and boy is it interesting to see pallets of XD-S's. I didn't send it in the case with mine so I imagine there were a good amount of others around too.

I strongly suspect that very little (if any) of that video interlude contains images of the XDss being "upgraded" ... it is merely generic footage of XDss being assembled and shipped ... which explains all of those big black XDs cases.

They wanted some video that they would look like the repairs being done. As with most companies these days, they are more interested in appearance than honesty (like the now-infamous message, "Send us your XDs and we will have it "upgraded" and returned within 30 days").

Doesn't really matter so long as they get the pistols repaired & returned asap. Early reports that I have read seem to indicate that SA managed to repair these XDs without screwing up something else, which, if it proves out, will be the Good News. :)

BTW, I believe that they are accurate in referring to these repairs as Upgrades, since they have actually improved & replaced the design of key components.

Not trying to pick on you, xwingband ... I just saw that you mentioned the video and that was the target of my post. ;)

xwingband
October 26, 2013, 01:18 PM
Yeah, I too could care less if it's real or not for the footage, so long as the fix is being done. I remember a shot of pins being driven out of the gun so I'd tend to some of it being quite real. Knowing how many were sold through just my local area it was just a good reminder at the volume being gone through though. If one person can go through a gun in 5 minutes to upgrade it, it would take a while to go through thousands.

Like I said I'll be happy to get my pistol back. I have others and it'll be nice to add it back into the rotation once it's been returned. Mine was in the first batch so it will hopefully be back soon.

Captains1911
October 28, 2013, 02:05 PM
I just checked the website and my status has changed to "fixed." That means I should expect my pistol back by the end of the week. For reference mine was delivered to SA the morning of 9/3.

October 28, 2013, 02:36 PM
My XD-S is being delivered this Wednesday!! I shipped mine on August 30th. I just received a text from FedEx to tell me that a package is being delivered but I've heard nothing from Springfield. I went to the FedEx website to track the package and it's coming from Geneseo, IL so it's obviously from Springfield. :D

slamfirev10
October 28, 2013, 02:48 PM
received by sa on 9/3

(today is monday 10/28)

on fri fedex showed delivery for tomorrow (tuesday)

i happen to be home just now and saw the fed ex truck stop in front. jumped on the tracking site and it shows out for delivery!

just signed for my xds!!

i had the frtb problem (see: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=720488) which is still present :(

i will know better after a trip to the range. i had forgotten how good the ergos are on this little gun...... so far happy with the fix (and new 7 round mag)

Rule3
October 28, 2013, 07:44 PM
Just got notice that mine will be home Wednesday!:D

I sent it in on 8/30/13, so doing the higher math, 2 months. I think that is pretty good considering the sheer volume of pistols involved.

460Kodiak
October 28, 2013, 07:51 PM
I got a notice too. Sent mine 8/31. Delivery is supposed to be Wednesday for me too.

Woo Hoo!

Coltdriver
October 28, 2013, 10:48 PM
Did anyone here actually have a problem with their xds denting a primer or actually firing on racking a round or double shooting?

460Kodiak
October 28, 2013, 11:58 PM
Nope

Rule3
October 29, 2013, 12:05 PM
Did anyone here actually have a problem with their xds denting a primer or actually firing on racking a round or double shooting?

No. Never had a problem with my Ruger LCP or my SW Walther PPK but was not going to be the "poster boy" for them.

If the company says it's broke and will fix it free, not about to argue with them.:)

horsemen61
October 29, 2013, 12:27 PM
So can anybody comment on the fix/trigger pull I am interested

Tommygunn
October 29, 2013, 07:14 PM
Your items have shipped and a copy of the invoice is attached. Thank you for your business!

Please click on the Tracking # to go to the shipper's web site.
If your email program does not allow clickable links, please copy the link below and paste it into your browser address bar:

Invoice # XXXXXXX Tracking # XXXXXXXXXXXX

Sincerely,

Team Springfield

Phone: (800) 680-6866
Email: Invoice@springfield-armory.com

YIPPEEEE!!!! Finally! My baby is coming home!
I can't wait ..... ;)

skoro
October 29, 2013, 08:12 PM
Sent mine on Aug 30th, was received by SA on Sept 5th, status still showing "received." :rolleyes:

slamfirev10
October 29, 2013, 10:44 PM
So can anybody comment on the fix/trigger pull I am interested

on mine, the trigger pull is definitely heavier but is still smooth

now if they will only fix the ftrb

gym
October 30, 2013, 12:29 AM
Mine will go in this week

critter
October 30, 2013, 06:47 AM
Mine left my house on 8/29 and supposed to be back today-10/30. I'll have to run a couple of boxes of ammo through it to check it out.

herkyguy
October 30, 2013, 07:58 AM
I sent mine in late September as I was out of the country when it first started. I am tempted to speculate that the turnaround time will be quicker for pistols sent in later since we went almost a month with no fix at all....

or it could be that so many pistols went back that the backlog increases with each day we waited to send ours in. either way, i'm happy to get mine back, whenever that may be. mine still says received, but I'm optimistic it will come back soon...

October 30, 2013, 11:58 AM
FedEx delivered my XD-S this morning. The pistol showed up in a "new" hard plastic box measuring approximately 9"x6"x2" and came with a 7-round magazine as promised. As others have reported, the trigger is definitely heavier and the pull feels longer than I remember but it's smooth. On a side note, you can still pull the slide back without depressing the grip safety (unlike XD/XDM models). I was wondering if that feature would be retained. I didn't have any issues before I sent the pistol in to Springfield but I'll shoot the pistol this week, carry it today and decide what's next for this thing.

fedlaw
October 30, 2013, 12:03 PM
Got my XDs 9 back yesterday. The trigger may have a bit more take up and it definitely has bit more weight to the pull, but the let-off is still nice and crisp.
The pistol was clean, was returned in the box I shipped it in and the extra 9rd mag was included.
All in all, well done. (Although I had never had any problems with the gun prior to sending it in.)

Captains1911
October 30, 2013, 04:23 PM
A very good review here comparing the new with the old:

http://www.tacti-cool.com/diy/

iblong
October 30, 2013, 05:45 PM
So what does all the extra parts do to the trigger pull and reset?
I have not sent mine in yet,not sure I want to.My trigger is pretty good for
a strieker and has given me no issues in over 1,000 rounds.

460Kodiak
October 30, 2013, 06:00 PM
The FedEx man just dropped off my XDs. I sent it without a case just in bubble wrap. It came back in a small plastic case that looked pretty well used and beat up, but that’s fine considering how I sent it. Included was a new seven round magazine also and the paperwork stating it was upgraded. The gun appears just as clean as it was when I sent it in.

The backstrap safety seems to have a little more resistance now and feels a bit more spongy, as opposed to the totally nonexistent feel it had before. It certainly won’t impeded in draw times or be a problem in any way.

The trigger does feel a little heavier than before (perhaps a ¼ to a ½ pound heavier), but it is not “HEAVY” by any means. It now feels less gritty and more smooth. All in all, the changes are noticible, but not a problem. Trigger reset and take up distance both seem the same to me.

Turn around was two months. 8-31 to 10-30. Even though it was a “fix” that SA is calling an “upgrade”, the trigger actually feels better to me now than before.

So, they did what they said they were doing. Glad to have it back as it is one of my favorite guns. I’m planning to go function test it on Saturday or Sunday.

They’re coming home all!!!!!

aeriedad
October 30, 2013, 06:17 PM
I appreciate the review, Kodiak. My XDs isn't to really mine, but my wife's. I have, among other things, the S&W M&P Shield. I bought her the XDs when the extractor on her Kimber Solo failed. Of course I offered her to trade me for the Shield, and of course she refused. By comparison, the Solo is more or less horrible, but also more or less better than nothing. Maybe. In any case, I'm hoping her XDs ships soon. Shouldn't be more than a couple of weeks now.

Captains1911
October 31, 2013, 10:46 AM
Mine was delivered about 10 minutes ago. I dry-fired it a about 10 times and honestly don't notice much difference at all, the break may be a little heavier but nothing significant like some people are claiming. I suspect it will lighten up a little with use. The reset feels the same as before, short and very crisp. Also the trigger does reset without the grip safety being depressed. I will hopefully get out to the range this weekend to put a few rounds through it.

critter
October 31, 2013, 02:13 PM
Mine left home on 8/29 and got back on 10/31. Came in a nifty but cheap looking little plastic carrying case with an extra extended mag plus adaptors.

I agree-trigger is smooth but a little harder than before. Have to shoot it to be sure all is well with her.

Tommygunn
October 31, 2013, 07:48 PM
Got my XDs .45 back at just after 2PM today. Came with the extended magazine like others.
I can't say the trigger "feels" any different than before -- I never even had the opportunity to shoot it before I found there was a recall & sent it in -- but it doesn't feel too bad now.
I'm glad to have my "baby" back, it's been too long.

fedlaw
October 31, 2013, 09:41 PM
150 rds after return of my XDs 9:
I took it to the range this morning and ran an assortment of ammo. It is still 100% reliable, but the trigger is significantly heavier with some slack before a clean break.
The accuracy seems the same as pre-fix, but the heavier trigger pull is probably what kept me from any actual 1-hole groups for 6 shots.
2 curious observations:
The gun is a natural pointer. Draw and point shoot: Dead on. Draw and aim: I was shooting low and left.
Prior to the fix, I was more accurate with the 7 rd mags. Now with the heavier pull, I am more accurate with the 9 rounders.
At some point, I will probably opt to have the trigger pull lightened, hopefully to 5 lbs, and will have adjustable sights installed.
Happy to have the gun back but looking forward to having some work done on it.

tnxdshooter
November 1, 2013, 05:28 AM
150 rds after return of my XDs 9:
I took it to the range this morning and ran an assortment of ammo. It is still 100% reliable, but the trigger is significantly heavier with some slack before a clean break.
The accuracy seems the same as pre-fix, but the heavier trigger pull is probably what kept me from any actual 1-hole groups for 6 shots.
2 curious observations:
The gun is a natural pointer. Draw and point shoot: Dead on. Draw and aim: I was shooting low and left.
Prior to the fix, I was more accurate with the 7 rd mags. Now with the heavier pull, I am more accurate with the 9 rounders.
At some point, I will probably opt to have the trigger pull lightened, hopefully to 5 lbs, and will have adjustable sights installed.
Happy to have the gun back but looking forward to having some work done on it.

I've got a springfield xd 40 with their custom shop combat trigger job with internal over travel adjustment. It breaks at 4 pounds and is smooth as glass it's well worth the money. Has a short pull and short reset.

critter
November 1, 2013, 06:38 AM
I just shot mine. Put 20 rounds of 230 gr FMJ and 50 rounds of 200 gr JHP through it. Ate them all like candy. Seems to be none the worse for the work done on it and I now feel fully safe to carry it again.

Nakanokalronin
November 1, 2013, 10:37 AM
Got my XDS45 back a few days ago, noticeably heavy around 7 1/2-8lbs easy, sold it yesterday. I don't know how much variance is in the returned XDS triggers, but many seem not to care. I don't need a NY style trigger on a carry gun.

I shot it over 2,000 times before sending it in and I knew it was a lot heavier the first time I pulled the trigger. I wasn't about to spend money to bring it back to what it used to be whenever aftermarket companies start producing lighter springs so I'll just stick with my G26 that's no harder to conceal and 3.5 disconnector for that perfect 4.5# pull.

jimbo555
November 1, 2013, 05:03 PM
Sent mine in on 9/3, notified that it is fixed today!:D

GBExpat
November 1, 2013, 05:36 PM
• All XD-S™ pistols received at Springfield Armory® on or before September 10, 2013, will be upgraded and shipped back to their owners by Thanksgiving, if not before.
• All XD-S™ pistols received between September 11-30, 2013, will be upgraded and shipped back to their owners by Christmas, if not before.
• All XD-S™ pistols received between October 1-31, 2013, will be upgraded and shipped back to their owners shortly after the holidays.

According to this schedule, the soonest that I will send mine in is 2014.

bigfatdave
November 1, 2013, 10:37 PM
That's great, tnxdshooter - but not really relevant to the XD-S recall
Am I missing something?

===

According to this schedule, the soonest that I will send mine in is 2014.

Agreed - I'll be waiting until the turnaround time is <5 weeks, and then timing it to return when I (or the Mrs) can easily sign for it.

===

Thanks to everyone reporting on their returned pistols, and for the link to the detailed breakdown!

Mike1234567
November 2, 2013, 02:22 PM
A LGS has an XD-S on sale. As soon as he saw me and my buddy looking at the pistols he said, "Hey guys, have a look at that XD-S... got it at a great price". Now I know why. :D

ole farmerbuck
November 2, 2013, 06:35 PM
A LGS has an XD-S on sale. As soon as he saw me and my buddy looking at the pistols he said, "Hey guys, have a look at that XD-S... got it at a great price". Now I know why. :D
Guess I don't understand, why?

tnxdshooter
November 2, 2013, 06:52 PM
That's great, tnxdshooter - but not really relevant to the XD-S recall
Am I missing something?

===

Agreed - I'll be waiting until the turnaround time is <5 weeks, and then timing it to return when I (or the Mrs) can easily sign for it.

===

Thanks to everyone reporting on their returned pistols, and for the link to the detailed breakdown!

It is.

I'm saying if your not happy with the trigger on the xds then send it to springfield custom shop to make it awesome.

Captains1911
November 2, 2013, 07:07 PM
I just got back from the range after putting 100 rds through my XDs. It seems to function just as reliably as before, and the slightly heavier trigger doesn't bother me a bit. I still love this pistol, time for the Ruger LC9 to go back in the safe.

arizona98tj
November 2, 2013, 11:48 PM
My XDs45 came back on Thursday. I put my trigger pull gauge on it. Unfortunately, it gained 1 pound and 4 ounces. It is much smoother than pre-recall (worst trigger I ever had on a Springfield XD platform handgun). So mine is sitting at 7lb 13 oz. I'm hoping it will lighten up after getting some rounds down range with it. Or it too may be taking a trip to the gunsmith to lighten the trigger.

bigfatdave
November 3, 2013, 02:47 AM
I'm saying if you're not happy with the trigger on the xds then send it to springfield custom shop to make it awesome.
That's great, if the custom shop can do such a job for a reasonable price.
The big issue here, though, is that the XD-S is not just a scaled-down XD or XD-M design inside - and with what they're doing to the guns, it might not be practical to have the custom shop adjust them, not to mention that S.A.-inc seems to be taking an "OK at best" trigger and making it heavier (but smoother)

I'll have to make the call on it after mine come back, I suppose - but I'm unlikely to pay S.A. to lighten the trigger they made heavier through their botched release/recall. And doing it twice (I've 1 each in .45acp & 9x19mm) is even less likely.
I'd buy an aftermarket parts kit and do it myself before sending the guns back in again to rectify the recall adjustment.

tnxdshooter
November 3, 2013, 04:01 AM
That's great, if the custom shop can do such a job for a reasonable price.
The big issue here, though, is that the XD-S is not just a scaled-down XD or XD-M design inside - and with what they're doing to the guns, it might not be practical to have the custom shop adjust them, not to mention that S.A.-inc seems to be taking an "OK at best" trigger and making it heavier (but smoother)

I'll have to make the call on it after mine come back, I suppose - but I'm unlikely to pay S.A. to lighten the trigger they made heavier through their botched release/recall. And doing it twice (I've 1 each in .45acp & 9x19mm) is even less likely.
I'd buy an aftermarket parts kit and do it myself before sending the guns back in again to rectify the recall adjustment.

I understand

ejfalvo
November 3, 2013, 07:15 AM
Got mine back on Thursday. They had it about 7 weeks. Put 150 rounds mixed ammo thru it without a hitch, RN and HP. Trigger felt different, but that is subjective as I was already pre-conditioned to expect it via the recent posts. Still functioned flawlessly, still very accurate. Came back same state I sent it with, old SA box and 7 round mag. It's back in the EDC rotation.

arizona98tj
November 3, 2013, 09:28 PM

I would consider that too....except I'm not seeing any trigger kits out there.

The PRP spring package was a bust so don't waste your money on that.

460Kodiak
November 3, 2013, 11:53 PM
Put 110 rounds through mine today without any malfunctions. Being carried again as it seems to be just fine, despite its travels to Illinois and back.

bigfatdave
November 4, 2013, 02:20 AM
arizona98tj - thanks for the warning on the PRP kit.

And again, thanks to everyone for reports on returns and triggers.

xwingband
November 4, 2013, 07:26 PM
Yeah, I got mine today. The trigger is most definitely heavier. It's still a good trigger for break and smoothness, just heavier. I guess I don't mind it at all as it had no safety. I carry an assortment that has heavier and lighter triggers both, so I probably won't be thrown off much.

jimbo555
November 6, 2013, 12:39 PM
Just got mine back,ran 50 rounds thru it. No problem and the trigger feels fine to me. I bought a glock 36 and it's surprising to me that the xds has much less felt recoil. I'm also more accurate with the xds compared to the glock.

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield XDs Recall" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!