10/22 barrel length?

PDA

X-Rap
August 29, 2013, 11:15 AM
I picked up a 10/22 the other day and it has a 16"+ barrel which I have never seen before. I don't know that it is factory but it does have the front sight.
I looked at it and others I have and even heated the sight on a take off barrel to see if it was a separate piece and none appear to be.
Did Ruger make some with shorter barrels?

If you enjoyed reading about "10/22 barrel length?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
August 29, 2013, 11:20 AM
Ruger 10/22 Compact has 16.12" barrel.

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Compact/models.html

rc

X-Rap
August 29, 2013, 11:49 AM
Good to know, I'll be watching for more of them. It's odd but in all the years in which I kind of considered myself an enthusiast I never saw the compact. I wonder how long they have been in production and what the numbers are?
For a knock around/truck gun it is noticeably handier than my carbine models. The 2+" makes a difference.
I got mine for about 1/2 of the Ruger MSRP and it came with a BC folding stock so it fits perfect in my ATV box as well.

jmr40
August 29, 2013, 11:52 AM
They made a few sold only at Walmart a few years ago with 22" barrels too.

mac66
August 29, 2013, 02:53 PM
The original "compact" 10/22 was known as the "youth model". They changed it to "compact" a few years ago.

The basic 10/22 has a 18.5" bbl. The compact has a 16.5" bbl and a shorter, smaller stock.

Ruger also came out with a 16.5" "Tactical" model that has a flash hider but no front sight. There may also be distributor variations (plastic and/or tactical folding stocks) and in stainless.

Bass Pro has a model (10/22RR) made for them by Williams Shooter Supply with a 20" bbl and Walmart had a model made for them with a 22" bbl.

If you enjoyed reading about "10/22 barrel length?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!