Powerwash a firearm?

PDA

leadcounsel
September 1, 2013, 11:10 AM
Would powerwashing a metal firearm damage it?

Sometimes you get a firearm that's just extremely filthy with carbon scoring. I wonder if powerwashing would strip the carbon without damaging the finish of the gun... some areas can be soaked and scrubed with CLP repeatedly, and plastic brushes used, and still have carbon residue.

I'm not familiar with how bluing, Parkerizing, or stainless is applied to metal, but I'd be concerned that you could/would be stripping those finishes as well...

Also, I realize that water pressure can be extreme and damage parts like sights, and cause small parts to go flying... I'm merely talking about a receiver/frame/cylinder, etc.... the areas that get extremely fouled...

If you enjoyed reading about "Powerwash a firearm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
FuzzyBunny
September 1, 2013, 11:19 AM
I would try a soak in a stronger solvent or cleaner first.

I use Eds Red that is mixed 3 ways the last way has much more solvent in it. Remember it is only carbon. You take a powerwasher to it is kinda drastic and yeah, you might do metal damage.

sauer1911
September 1, 2013, 12:16 PM
I really think power washing is umm, a bit over the top.

All my rifles, revolvers, and pistols are treated with great care and respect. I spend the time to clean and oil each one after I shoot it. Everytime. I reload for my 1911's and sometimes they get a good amount of carbon build up. I use synthetic oil and grease which seems to hold the carbon soot in suspension. It all comes off relatively easily, if you know how.

Take some time to research cleaners and solvents that will do the job, dont pressure wash your guns. Take time to know them inside and out.

rcmodel
September 1, 2013, 12:32 PM
I have power washed dissembled old mil-sups at the car wash to get the cosmoline off of them.

It works great!!

I would not do it to a S&W revolver or a Winchester Model 12 though!!

rc

Reloadron
September 1, 2013, 08:47 PM
I have power washed dissembled old mil-sups at the car wash to get the cosmoline off of them.

It works great!!

I would not do it to a S&W revolver or a Winchester Model 12 though!!

rc
Been there and done that. Years ago when we were buying dozens of SKS rifles, Mosin Nagants and other military surplus I would drag them to the do it yourself car wash, hit them with engine gunk and power wash followed by a final rinse. They thoroughly dry and oil. Our rifles always looked better than the competition and I got about ten bucks more than the competition.

Obviously you need to be careful using a 3,000 PSI pressure washer at close range.

Ron

Sobel
September 1, 2013, 08:57 PM
I got some degreaser from my ma because I got an old ak mag. took everything out and saw some gunk, so decided to just set it in a big bowl for a while full of degreaser and hot water. The mag now has no bluing, and is all rusty. That was my first experience with any sort of cleaner that wasn't prescribed just for guns.

ID-shooting
September 1, 2013, 08:57 PM
(Sarcasm on), I have never, ever, ever power washed/steam cleaned, or solvent bathed a M16, M2, M60, or M240 in the Army.

BBBBill
September 1, 2013, 09:10 PM
And I never, ever sneaked off to the cleaning closet where the large sink had nearly boiling hot water to wash my M-16 with dishwashing liquid. No, sir. Never happened. No need for none of that. ;) The platoon sergeant was always suspicious, but I never got caught.

Reloadron
September 1, 2013, 09:16 PM
(Sarcasm on), I have never, ever, ever power washed/steam cleaned, or solvent bathed a M16, M2, M60, or M240 in the Army.
Yeah, and I have absolutely no recollection of ever taking a shower with an M14 rifle in Marine Corps boot camp either. :)

Ron

CoRoMo
September 9, 2013, 04:44 PM
FbPC6YgnQ_Q

Reloadron
September 9, 2013, 06:29 PM
The guy doing the holding must have great faith in his friend's ability to aim. :)

Ron

If you enjoyed reading about "Powerwash a firearm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!