Ammo Question

PDA

lpsharp88
September 4, 2013, 11:22 AM
I picked up some shotgun shells yesterday from Walmart, and one of them looks like this

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s523/lpsharp88/245C94BB-B3A2-4108-9EDF-DD0A714CE9F6-850-000000E41277DA1E_zps87e77e04.jpg

Is that safe to shoot?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
FuzzyBunny
September 4, 2013, 11:35 AM
To be safe I would say no.

I would not feel safe with the powder load or anything about it. Things happen with machines and they do that. Even if that round cost $1 or $10 I would report it and not shoot it.

Compare the cost of that round to the cost of the POSSIBLE damage it may do to your firearm or body. Is it worth it? Call the maker give them the lot number and send them the picture.

I would be concerned about the whole lot/batch. Call me super cautious or paranoid but benefit to risk ratio is not worth it to me. Just my opinion.

Stay Safe

RaceM
September 4, 2013, 12:03 PM
And that's why it pays to inspect every round in a new box of ammo. I found a couple in a box of Estate 20GA that I considered no-go. The hulls were swollen right above the brass, maybe ran through the machine crooked or smashed too hard during crimping. Gutted them out for use as snap caps.

huntsman
September 4, 2013, 12:06 PM
yuck what is it? safe to shoot? in a break-open gun yeah I'd shoot it but I'm a cheapskate.

lpsharp88
September 4, 2013, 12:09 PM
yuck what is it? safe to shoot? in a break-open gun yeah I'd shoot it but I'm a cheapskate.
It's a 00 buck shell from Walmart. I'd use it in my Mossberg 590A1, but not sure about safety or potential damage to the firearm

witchhunter
September 4, 2013, 12:52 PM
It probably won't chamber.

eastbank
September 4, 2013, 02:56 PM
i would just chuck it in the landfill, why take a chance with your eyes or fingers or your shotgun. <deleted> happens, report it to where you bought it and try to get a replacement. myself if it was only one i would forget it. eastbank.

javjacob
September 4, 2013, 03:22 PM
theres no way I would try to shoot that.

allaroundhunter
September 4, 2013, 03:42 PM
Those are supposedly military overrun buckshot. In addition to problems like you see there, they typically don't pattern worth a dang. Not one of my recommendations for defense.

Fred Fuller
September 4, 2013, 03:45 PM
Email your photo to the manufacturer and let them know the lot number (should be on the inside of the flap of the box), tell them where you bought it and when. Hang on to your receipt if you still have it.

That's a QC failure that should be brought to their attention...

And no, I wouldn't advise shooting it. As indicated earlier, it's a good example of why every round of serious ammo should be inspected before use.

Steve C
September 4, 2013, 03:58 PM
If it chambers it will fire. The metal base on the shot shell is there to give the extractor a solid grasp and has nothing to do with chamber pressure or other safety issues.

I would first try it in a break open shotgun or remove your barrel and see if it drops into the chamber. I wouldn't risk jamming it up in a semi auto or pump without checking it first just because of the potential aggravation in removing it if the base is forced into the chamber.

Fire it as a practice round if it chambers, if not just discard it.

oneounceload
September 4, 2013, 06:06 PM
It is not safe; it will not chamber in any gun that is safe to shoot; send the pic to the maker and they'll probably send you a coupon good for a free box

JohnBT
September 4, 2013, 07:23 PM
Back when I was younger and poorer I would have straightened out the rough edges and shot it - in somebody else's gun. :)

I really think it would be fine to shoot. The metal sides are just for tradition's sake.

Fryerpower
September 4, 2013, 07:25 PM
I second the contact the manufacturer with the lot information comments. They need to know this stuff so that they can monitor and improve their processes. They will likely give you some sort of credit.

Jim

lpsharp88
September 4, 2013, 08:48 PM
I sent Winchester an email that had a description of the problem and the same picture I posted here. I don't plan to fire the shell, and will likely just throw it out. I'll keep you all posted!

smalls
September 4, 2013, 09:37 PM
Don't throw it out, Winchester will likely want you to send it to them.

DNS
September 4, 2013, 10:09 PM
Is that a bulge in the case too or just a trick of the light?

No, not in my shotgun.

huntsman
September 5, 2013, 12:21 AM
That shotshell reminded me of the cheapie S&W shot shells from the 70's we used to shoot.

IIRC the head was made of thin steel and we'd have to poke more than a few shells out with a stick because the rims got ripped off by the extractor, but they were cheap we were kids and we wanted to hunt and shoot.

rcmodel
September 5, 2013, 12:41 AM
Winchester will likely want you to send it to them. You really think they care anymore??

rc

Fryerpower
September 5, 2013, 12:43 AM
You really think they care anymore??

rc

Yes, they care. But they probably don't need the actual shell. The photograph and the lot number will probably be enough.

Jim

rcmodel
September 5, 2013, 01:07 AM
O.K.!
That was a little harsh on my part.

But?
If they cared as much as they cared 30-40 years ago?

That shell right there would never have got past the first Quality Control inspection.
Or the second, third, or forth.

Let alone got boxed, shipped, and sold.

rc

Kernel
September 5, 2013, 01:15 AM
Maybe the damage was caused by a forklift hitting the pallet in the warehouse or in transport after it left Winchester. I'd like to think that was true.

Fryerpower
September 5, 2013, 01:24 AM
You bring up a good point, rcmodel. They may have cut back on the inspections at the end of the production process. With a well established production line this is not a huge issue. The kinks have been worked out and it is stable. It requires less watching. But if there has been an upset in the system there is less of a chance to catch the bad product.

They are probably reducing the preventive maintenance on the equipment and trying to keep them running 24x7. If a part wears out and causes an occasional production flaw, but does not stop the line, there is less of a chance of it being caught.

They need the feedback now more than ever to let them know there is a problem.

Jim

PabloJ
September 5, 2013, 11:22 AM
It looks like mil-spec SG size junk sold in plain five cartridge brown cardboard boxes. I avid that stuff like the plague. The best stuff comes copper colored plastic case and brass washed base. Seventy mm case is about $2/shell while 76mm length is about $3.60 per shell but maximum effective range is increased by 15 to 20 steps over standard BK load.

smalls
September 5, 2013, 10:33 PM
You really think they care anymore??

I sure hope so!

I recently had an issue with some Remington handgun ammo, and they're sending me a shipping label to send it back. They want to inspect it.

But I agree with your later statements, that never should have been packaged. I don't think they even visually inspect them anymore, they probably have machines do it.

Col4570
September 6, 2013, 08:07 AM
Reload a used Shell with the components.Waste not want not.

Warp
September 6, 2013, 06:27 PM
I have come to the conclusion that Winchester QC has gone to **** lately. Mostly I notice it with pistol ammo, but that's probably because I mostly encounter pistol ammo.

Win has moved way down my list of preferred ammo manufacturers to buy from.

I would never even consider shooting ammo that looks anything like that. Seriously...risk vs reward. What's one round of ammo vs the risk of injury or property damage??

jaguarxk120
September 6, 2013, 06:37 PM
The value packs form Wally World are the worst stuff ever made. Many times guys will complain about shells not ejecting and they are the cause.

oneounceload
September 6, 2013, 07:32 PM
You guys are expecting close visual inspection of every round by trained techs when these folks are trying to crank out as much as possible to meet your whining about ammo shortages?

Most modern inspections are done via a computer and camera; when millions of rounds are being produced, it is inevitable that a few bad ones get out the door

contact them and they will make it right - the potential liability is too scary for them to think about, so free ammo is the order of the day

Warp
September 6, 2013, 07:35 PM
You guys are expecting close visual inspection of every round by trained techs when these folks are trying to crank out as much as possible to meet your whining about ammo shortages?

Most modern inspections are done via a computer and camera; when millions of rounds are being produced, it is inevitable that a few bad ones get out the door

contact them and they will make it right - the potential liability is too scary for them to think about, so free ammo is the order of the day

It wouldn't take "close visual inspection" to catch that round if it did indeed look like that coming off the line.

We are expecting ammunition quality control to remain in place right now just as it did a year ago, or two years ago, when demand was lower. Ammunition...including 12 gauge buckshot...is something that can be very dangerous if it is screwed up, and is something that can lead to bad things happening to the user if it fails.

Unfortunately for Winchester it seems to be far more than "a few" rounds. I think that, over the past few years, more rounds that shouldn't have made it past QC that I have seen have been from Winchester than from every other manufacturer combined.

eastbank
September 7, 2013, 09:02 AM
the winchester value pack four box 100 round 12ga low brass(steel) shells are just plain junk, at a trap range i shoot at they have a fiberglass 40" rod for removing stuck shells and it happens several times over several rounds of trap with several makes of shotguns. eastbank.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!