gen 4Glock 26 trouble.

PDA

thefamcnaj
September 4, 2013, 11:58 AM
I own quite a few Glocks and have never had trouble with any of them until this gen4 26.
This 26 went through its first 400 rounds flawlessly. Now its stove piping out of all three mags. Ive only shot federal champion out of it. I haven't change my cleaning/lubing method. 400 rounds is not enough to wear the internals out.
When the gun stops it always looks the same. A spent casing stuck in the ejection port.
I'm wondering what this could be? If the gun was going to have problems, I figured it would show before 400 rounds.
This is happening at least once out of each mag, under slow controlled fire.
Should I send it back to Glock? Or is this something a glock armour could fix?
Am I over looking something obvious?

If you enjoyed reading about "gen 4Glock 26 trouble." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Roadking Rider
September 4, 2013, 12:32 PM
If I had to guess from here. I'm thinking recoil spring has developed some sort of problem. JM.02

ku4hx
September 4, 2013, 01:02 PM
Before I'd send it to Glock, I'd try a new recoil spring assembly. If that doesn't fix it you at least have a spare.

My first thought was magazine springs, but happening in several makes that unlikely.

Maybe a chipped or bent extractor claw. I replaced three on my Glocks before I realized I was causing the problem by letting the slide close with a round in the chamber.

eam3clm@att.net
September 4, 2013, 08:58 PM
How many rounds are in the mag when it stove pipes? What I am asking is does it have the same round cound in the mags when it stove pipes? Federal champion seems to be weak when I shot it in the past. Did the problem start with a new batch of ammo (different lot number).

thefamcnaj
September 4, 2013, 10:11 PM
Rounds 5 and 6 in the magazine are where the problem is happening.
I honestly don't know about the lot number.

tarosean
September 5, 2013, 03:04 AM
Should I send it back to Glock? Or is this something a glock armour could fix?

That will be up to you but its generally been a combination of RSA, extractor and ejector. to fix many of the issues like brass to the face, etc.

Sometimes a simple 336 swap to 30274 ejector solves issues for many and then there are the others who will swap parts till they are blue in the face and never solve the issues.

Lots of people will claim the issues have been fixed with new guns, but a quick peek at glocktalk will prove otherwise. Then there are the diehards that will blame you or your ammo.

thefamcnaj
September 6, 2013, 01:10 AM
I have a 336 ejector in my 26 and its bent at a 45 degree angle to the right.
My friend said they come that way due to firing small casings. Is this true?
Then I was advised to bend it back straight with pliers.
I cant figure out to get a pic up to show it.
If it is bent should I just take pliers to it? Or is my friend right in saying its suppose to be that way?

tarosean
September 6, 2013, 01:19 AM
here is a picture of the difference between the two ejectors. It should have a slight angle to it, If yours is truly bent at 45deg angle then it needs to be replaced. bending it with pliers will only result in it breaking.

http://www.gunnewsblog.com/2012/10/gnb-looking-in-to-glock-ejection-problem.html

*you can post pictures by going advanced and the using the attachment button (paperclip)

thefamcnaj
September 6, 2013, 01:36 AM
That's the best picture I could do. From what I'm gathering this is normal. I did clean all three magazine's real well

thefamcnaj
September 6, 2013, 01:47 AM
I plan on getting a recoil spring ordered tomorrow

WinThePennant
September 6, 2013, 09:45 PM
Even though Glock didn't 'recall' the RSA for the Gen 4 G26, it might still be a good idea to buy one of the new ones. I bought a 'spare', and liked it better than the original so I'm using it. The new Glock RSA for the Gen4 G26 looks better than the old one, so give it a shot.

Glock REALLY should have recalled the RSA for the Gen 4 G26, IMHO.

thefamcnaj
September 6, 2013, 11:07 PM
Where did you buy yours at? When I Google it a lot comes up. How would I know if I were getting a new one or another one like my current one. Are the new ones called something different? Is the stainless worth 40$? If that's what it needs then I'll go that rout.
Thanks for the help.

Inebriated
September 6, 2013, 11:25 PM
Your ejector is fine.
Where did you buy yours at? When I Google it a lot comes up. How would I know if I were getting a new one or another one like my current one. Are the new ones called something different? Is the stainless worth 40$? If that's what it needs then I'll go that rout.Buy the next box of premium JHP's you find, and try them. The spring could be too weak to process
Check the test-fire date on your brass packet if it came with one, and see if it's recent. You can also look at the Seial Number Research Project HERE (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1445829). For a point of reference, I got a Gen 4 26 that I got in May of 2011, and it's had absolutely zero malfunctions in well over 3K rounds.

If you've got another gun, I'd probably just send it to Glock and let them handle it. But if you don't want to do that, then my money is on a new RSA solving your issues.

thefamcnaj
September 7, 2013, 01:59 AM
Is there a certain one that I should buy? What I'm asking is which website should I use to purchase the RSA. There are so many. Do they all sell the same thing? I see them on Amazon for 20$ or so. I'm going to get an RSA I jus had no idea there were so many. If my problem is the RSA will one of these on Amazon be fine to correct the problem.

ku4hx
September 7, 2013, 07:36 AM
Is there a certain one that I should buy?
The one designated for the G26. I like Lone Wolf; their part number is GLO-2211 with "GLO" indicating it's Glock OEM. There are numerous RSAs out there and you just have to decide do you want the Glock OEM or one made by a different company. After that, it's a matter of who do you trust.

I've bought a very few Glock parts from Amazon and I never had a problem. I tend to prefer OEM parts so that's what I look for and Lone Wolf meets that need for me.

WinThePennant
September 7, 2013, 08:27 AM
The new Glock 26 RSA is part number: SP02211.

thefamcnaj
September 7, 2013, 08:51 AM
Thank you. I ordered two off of amazon last night. They both were sp0211. They should be here in a week. I sure hope they fix my problem. If its SP0211 that means Glock ome right?

WinThePennant
September 7, 2013, 09:03 AM
The problem you describe could be attributed to either the RSA (I am doubtful), or the extractor (likely). Lone Wolf makes an excellent extractor for the G26, but it is never in stock. Mine has been on backorder for weeks.

I wish Apex would make an extractor for the G26. I have their extractor in my G19 and my G17.

You might also consider putting a stronger extractor spring in your G26. I used the White Sound Defense stainless extractor spring. Part number: WS-00119. Available from Glockparts.com.

ku4hx
September 7, 2013, 10:15 AM
If its SP0211 that means Glock ome right?
Yeah ... sort of. SP02211 is Glock's OEM part number.

HexHead
September 7, 2013, 10:31 AM
That will be up to you but its generally been a combination of RSA, extractor and ejector. to fix many of the issues like brass to the face, etc.

Sometimes a simple 336 swap to 30274 ejector solves issues for many and then there are the others who will swap parts till they are blue in the face and never solve the issues.

Lots of people will claim the issues have been fixed with new guns, but a quick peek at glocktalk will prove otherwise. Then there are the diehards that will blame you or your ammo.
The recoil spring assembly is the same in the Gen4 G26 as it's always been.

OP... Try some other ammo and see what happens before you start swapping parts out.

WinThePennant
September 7, 2013, 12:22 PM
Federal Champion, by the way, pretty much SUCKS. It is underpowered, and it is a known fact that a lot of Glocks fail to cycle Champion ammo very well.

Amazing, a great company like Federal figured out a way to make the most reliable semi-auto ever devised FAIL with some regularity (depending on individual guns).

fastbolt
September 7, 2013, 02:48 PM
If it were me (as a Glock owner & Glock armorer), before I started trying to change things on the gun, thinking it's a "gun problem", I'd try some different ammo to make sure it's not an ammo problem. Shooting budget ammo that runs to the low end of the normal power levels can cause feeding & functioning issues.

If you're shooting 115gr budget loads, at least try some 124 or 147gr loads.

DO NOT start taking pliers to an ejector (especially while the ejector is located inside the trigger mechanism housing inside the frame), thinking to "fix" something. :uhoh: You'll risk damage to the ejector, as well as the plastic trigger mechanism housing or even the frame.

Yes, the standard 9mm ejector requires a slight inward angle. Yes, both the old-style & new-style (Gen4) 9mm ejectors have this inward angle. Don't fool with them.

Use a good dry nylon or brass brush to clean out any fouling or accumulated residue from under your extractor hook. Don't let excessive solvent or CLP accumulate there during cleaning, as it can attract fouling & residue and hinder the extractor's intended freedom of movement.

Do you have a Glock armorer in your area? If changing to a different brand/bullet weight of ammo doesn't result in an improvement, then I'd have the gun inspected by a currently certified armorer.

BTW, let's not get distracted by the internet hype about the "BTF/Brass-to-face" ejection issues that occur with some Glocks.

One of my own Glocks, a recent production 9mm, exhibited very erratic ejection issues (which my older production same model didn't do ... except on the last round when lower-powered loads were used). While it took some time and trying a number of factory stock parts, I resolved the issue.

Of all the newer Glocks I've watched go through qual ranges, I've seen some occasional erratic ejection occur, but more or less to the same degree as I see with any number of other make/model/caliber pistols. I did, however, observe the owner of a Gen4 G23 experience what I felt was excessively erratic ejection. Replacing his old-style .40 ejector with a new-style .40 ejector immediately corrected the issue.

ku4hx
September 7, 2013, 03:24 PM
The attached chart is from a manual I have entitled "Loading Guide Accurate Smokeless Powder Number one" copyright 1994. I've had it for a long time and it's one of many such manuals I've gotten over the years.

The lesson I learned from this chart is it's extremely accurate. You have to have a certain "power level" to properly operate a Glock and there are likewise optimum bullets weights. Less than optimum for both powder and bullet weight will work to varying degrees, but I always opted to not settle for less than optimum just because it was cheap or on sale.

Over the years I've had pretty much 100% success following the logic shown in the chart and specifically noted in the remark: heavier bullets and slower burning powders since that's where most of the "Yes" recommendations can be found. Heavier bullets being at least 124 grains and slower powders being in the same burn rate category as the more successful AA powders and others such as Bluedot, True Blue and Power Pistol. That is not intended to be an all inclusive list, just a few examples of slower powders.

thefamcnaj
September 8, 2013, 12:59 AM
I'm stuck using under power ammo because I don't hand load and federal champion is all that's available around here. I would like an armorer to look at it just for piece of mind, but I don't know of one around me.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed its the RSA. I'm doubtful myself because 400 rounds doesn't seem like near enough to wear anything out.
My gen 3 g27 has been flawless through 4800 rounds.

fastbolt
September 8, 2013, 03:32 AM
Gun stores that stock Glocks are permitted to send their employees and gunsmiths through armorer classes. You might try calling any gun stores within reasonable driving distance to ask if they have one on-staff.

While it's certainly possible to come across an occasional recoil spring assembly that's not within spec, if it's an ammo problem, changing the RSA might not do much more than cost you money.

I'd look around and try to find some other ammo.

If nothing else, check the production lot numbers on the boxes and at least try ammo from a different production lot. Maybe you might get lucky and it was just a particularly low powered lot of that budget line, and trying a different bunch of it might result in the gun again running the way it's done up until now.

If you call Glock, or even ask an armorer, don't be surprised to hear them recommend trying different ammo before doing anything else.

ku4hx
September 8, 2013, 06:57 AM
I'm stuck using under power ammo because I don't hand load and federal champion is all that's available around here.
Obviously the current situation with ammunition has caused a lot of frustration; you can read it on every gun related forum out there. But buying locally is not your only option. If you check various internet sites, you can find ammunition that I'd not call junk or underpowered. Two sites that can help are: http://www.gunbot.net/ammo and http://www.ammoengine.com/find/ammo/.45_ACP. There are others.

My point is a rather simple one, if you buy the cheapest you can get you're going to get the cheapest you can get. And that situation seldom satisfies anybody.

Unfortunately, or fortunately; I'm not sure which, ammunition makers have gotten into the mode of supplying what people seem to want ... cheap ammunition with marginal performance.

Many of my shooting buddies do not hand load, and I see their frustrations on a weekly basis. But regardless of the situation and its causes, until such time as any shooter either buys or makes truly compatible ammunition, performance problems will likely continue.

If you enjoyed reading about "gen 4Glock 26 trouble." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!