Ammo tip color codes

PDA

Henry Bowman
March 23, 2004, 02:04 PM
I've searched here and at TFL and cannot find a "full" list of what the tip colors mean for milsurp or new rifle ammo. For example, orange, green, black, etc -- incendiary, tracer, AP, etc.

Can someone suggest a link?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo tip color codes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
AJ Dual
March 23, 2004, 02:17 PM
Me too...

I have some Orange tip .30 carbine I inerited from my grandfather, and I've no idea what it is.

I can only assume it's tracer, as I doubt Uncle Sugar was busy loading .30 carbine AP or API, but I'd like to know for sure.

Ian
March 23, 2004, 04:26 PM
With American ammo (WWII .30-06 at least), it's generally thus (IIRC):

Black: AP
Blue: Incendiary
Orange/Red: Tracer
Green: Semi-AP (newish .223 only)
Green w/ silver band: Frangible
Silver: API
Yellow: Spotter (exploding)

Other countries have totally different schemes. I've poked around various types of .303 British ammo, and they tend to use headstamp and primer sealant color more than tip colors.

I don't know of any links for this stuff, though. Hopefully someone else does.

Poodleshooter
March 23, 2004, 05:40 PM
Hi guys,
Do a search online for "Army Ammunition Data Sheets"
AKA: "TM 43-0001-27"
That will give you the army data sheets for all small arms ammunition up to 30mm. The information includes every cartridge variant, as well as bullet weights, tip colors,etc.
Within ammo types, there have been several changes and variations. The orange vs. red tip for tracers is but one example.

Henry Bowman
March 23, 2004, 05:43 PM
Thanks! That's exactly what I needed. And yes, I was specifically interested in WWII era .30-06 stuff.

P95Carry
March 23, 2004, 06:16 PM
Just a small addition ..... I have some belted .303 Brit rounds .... 18 only now. They have a purple tip paint. Some while back I posted about them but no one was totally sure. I pulled one and ''dissected'' it .... and then put a flame to the core ... they are tracer, with a red burn.

This pic shows the appearance ......

http://www.bedford.net/design/shoot3/303_trace_01_s.jpg

Black92LX
March 23, 2004, 11:23 PM
And yes, I was specifically interested in WWII era .30-06 stuff.

that case you ordered have some colored tips in it??

Henry Bowman
March 24, 2004, 09:36 AM
No, Black, it was just ball. But I recently got a present from a friend that did include some. :D

Black92LX
March 24, 2004, 10:29 AM
nice. what color tips are they??

Poodleshooter
March 24, 2004, 11:09 AM
There's some other good info from those charts. For one thing, if you shoot a Garand, you may want to watch too much firing of any ammo listed as "issued linked" or using a powder like WC852. Most of that ammo is going to be pretty hot on the op rod. I've got an sample of 30/06 that my uncle got from an older fellow. It's mixed blacktip and red tip tracer on M1919 links in an older WWII can. I'm going to pull some bullets and check the powder. If it's extruded I'll run it through the Garand for kicks, otherwise it stays as a collectors item.

Henry Bowman
March 24, 2004, 01:55 PM
Black - Lots of black tips, some orange. :evil:

Black92LX
March 24, 2004, 02:53 PM
where in the heck are we going to shoot up those orange tips? You planning on making a land purchase anytime soon:D Or actually getting time off to go to knob creek for the day!:what:
and isn't black tip penetrator ammo??

sounds like a good friend!

QuarterBoreGunner
March 24, 2004, 08:59 PM
I pulled one and ''dissected'' it .... and then put a flame to the core ...You Sir, are a very brave/foolish man. I was under the impression that tracer was a form of phosphorous and ignited on contact with oxygen?

Oh, and that's a right purty color on them there bullets.

Black92LX
March 24, 2004, 09:28 PM
phosphorous and ignited on contact with oxygen?

that's correct!

Reaction of phosphorus with air

White phosphorus glows in the dark when exposed to damp air in a process known as chemiluminescence. White phosphorus must be handled with great care. It spontanteously ignites in air at about room temperature to form "phosphorus pentoxide" - actually tetraphosphorus decaoxide, P4O10.

P4(s) + 5O2(g) P4O10(s)

P95Carry
March 24, 2004, 10:15 PM
You Sir, are a very brave/foolish man. I was under the impression that tracer was a form of phosphorous and ignited on contact with oxygen? Chris .... first off .. when I did the ''test'' I was wearing thick leather gloves, a reactive welding mask and had the door open to the outside ... I had most bases covered I think! I was being cautious. :)

Secondly .. I don't think any tracer compound is a raw phosphorous at all. IMO it is a mix of something akin to match head phosphorous compounds and probably could also contain some magnesium .. the way mine burned made me think that. I don't think it will ignite until touched off by hot gases from a powder burn (or my torch!!:p ).

QuarterBoreGunner
March 25, 2004, 01:53 PM
I had most bases covered I think! I was being cautious And you were Chris; I was simply reminded of a guy I used to know at my old shop who made a keychain out of a .50BMG round. A live round. I asked him how he deactivated it. He said that he just drilled through the case near the web and drained out the powder. I asked him if he wasn't concerned about igniting the powder? He said it never occured to him...:uhoh:

Still is a nice color.

M1911Owner
March 26, 2004, 02:34 AM
:what: And what about the primer??!! :what:

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo tip color codes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!