Browser back button oddity

PDA

beatledog7
September 6, 2013, 08:16 AM
Over the last couple of days I've discovered that my browser (Safari) back button no longer takes me from the thread I'm reading back to the list of threads from which I came.

Instead, it takes me to the top of the thread page. Another "back" button then returns me to the list.

I tried a couple of other sites to make sure this was not something in the browser. They worked fine.

Is there some site setting I've somehow flubbed that's causing this?

If you enjoyed reading about "Browser back button oddity" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mal H
September 6, 2013, 09:21 AM
I don't believe there is a specific setting peculiar to THR that would cause that. I tried to duplicate what you described, but couldn't get it to fail. If I opened a long thread and scrolled to the bottom of it, the back button still took me back to the forum index page as it should. Now, if you're on page 2 of a thread, then the back button should take you to page 1 if that is the page you started with in the thread. Is that what you mean by the "top of the thread page"?

I'm using Firefox 23.0.1. Which browser/version are you using?

beatledog7
September 6, 2013, 09:54 AM
No matter where I am on the page, Back takes me to the top of that page. Another Back is required to get to the previous page.

I'm using Safari 5.1.9.

I've been using this version without the anomaly for many weeks. This is a recent (last few days) issue.

Robert
September 6, 2013, 09:55 AM
I am seeing the same thing on my Droid based phone. I hit back and it takes me to the top, I hit back again and it takes me back one page.

rcmodel
September 6, 2013, 12:40 PM
You might try clearing the cache & cookies and rebooting.

That has solved problems in the past for me that I could find no reason for.

rc

burrhead
September 6, 2013, 03:08 PM
Same thing is happening to me with Safari 6.0.5. I't only happens on this site.

mboe794
September 6, 2013, 03:36 PM
Same thing is happening on my Android phone. Not all the time, but most of the time. I'm using the stock web browser. Not sure if it is an Android or HTC product.

rcmodel
September 6, 2013, 08:43 PM
My wife has an Apple.

And Safari has more trouble with more websites then all the Windows browsers combined.

I have a feeling it is a compatibility issue with Windows based sites stemming from the Apple / Microsoft ongoing war.

Most websites run on some sort of Windows or Linex software.

And Apple hates them!!

rc

beatledog7
September 6, 2013, 08:51 PM
I doubt if it is that, rc, as it has been working perfectly for many months and just started this odd behavior.

It's a small annoyance that I'll happily take if I have to in exchange for the advantages of a Mac.

okonokos
September 6, 2013, 10:06 PM
Same here. On safari, oddly enough, only on gun related forums... (defensivecarry as well). I'm a member of several other forums (aviation related) and it works as normal, i.e. back a page.

amd6547
September 6, 2013, 10:22 PM
On my iPad, the back button has also started acting up in the last day or two. It now takes two, or sometimes three taps to make it work.

Mal H
September 7, 2013, 12:13 AM
It could have something to do with the server changes Derek made at about the same time you all started seeing the problem. I'll be sure he sees this thread.

rbernie
September 7, 2013, 09:36 AM
Same symptom on my iPad.

orionengnr
September 7, 2013, 11:09 AM
I have noted a similar problem for quite some time--and I'm not using a phone, tablet, Apple or Safari. Just a desktop running Windows.

I think I've even posted about it. Many (most) times, when I hit the "back" button, nothing at all happens.

After some experimentation, I find that if I hit the actual dead center of the "back" arrow, it will perform as designed. Hitting anywhere within the button...not so much.

So...bullseye or nothing.

This is only on THR, and has been this way for quite some time.

P5 Guy
September 7, 2013, 01:43 PM
Same for me and my MAC? Started about three days ago.

beatledog7
September 7, 2013, 02:27 PM
My laptop is doing it, too.

Safari 5.1.2.

Officers'Wife
September 7, 2013, 03:18 PM
Mine takes me back to the list.

IBM laptop with xp pro

highorder
September 7, 2013, 06:44 PM
put me in the "having trouble" column.

Running Mac OS-X 10.7.5

Mat, not doormat
September 7, 2013, 08:08 PM
Me, too. Safari on an iPad.

amd6547
September 7, 2013, 09:10 PM
Seems to be different on different sites...on rugerforum, I consistently have to tap my iPads back button three times to go back to the previous page.
On this site, two times.

another pake
September 8, 2013, 04:31 AM
It could have something to do with the server changes Derek made at about the same time you all started seeing the problem. I'll be sure he sees this thread.
I don't think it's your server. I'm having the same symptoms on several sites.
I'm also on an I Pad. Don't know about my Windows laptop.

Then again, the NSA is watching... Never mind.

cfullgraf
September 9, 2013, 07:36 AM
I am having the same experience as beatledog7 only on THR with Apple devices using Safari. It started several days ago.

Other forums and websites work as normal.

Louca
September 10, 2013, 09:00 PM
Back arrow button seems to be working for me now (Safari on iPad).

Derek Zeanah
September 10, 2013, 09:10 PM
Back arrow button seems to be working for me now (Safari on iPad).

Nothing has changed...

Potatohead
September 10, 2013, 09:39 PM
You might try clearing the cache & cookies and rebooting.

That has solved problems in the past for me that I could find no reason for.

rc
Geez RC, you're a computer AND handloading expert?!

cfullgraf
September 10, 2013, 11:19 PM
Nothing has changed...

Blame it on bad electrons.:)

beatledog7
September 11, 2013, 07:07 AM
I guess the problem self healed.

burrhead
September 11, 2013, 01:32 PM
Last night I was having to hit the back button four times to get out. Works as it should today. :D

rbernie
September 11, 2013, 04:42 PM
Something changed, Derek - it's now working fine from my iPad but it was clearly NOT working fine previously. I wonder if your LB had a cache issue that's finally flushed.....

Derek Zeanah
September 11, 2013, 04:52 PM
I wonder if your LB had a cache issue that's finally flushed.....It shouldn't be caching. The web servers do cache things, and they were flushed twice with the Colorado notice maintenance. Maybe that was it?

rbernie
September 11, 2013, 05:15 PM
Could be. Most LB have an internal cache, tho - I'm surprised to read that yours does not..

Derek Zeanah
September 11, 2013, 05:34 PM
Could be. Most LB have an internal cache, tho - I'm surprised to read that yours does not..
Having it, versus having it enabled, are separate issues. Kind of like SSL offload. :)

(Once things have been running 3 months without issues I'll be more willing to test additional features...)

rbernie
September 12, 2013, 08:43 AM
Having it, versus having it enabled, are separate issues.Good copy. :)

In any event, life is back to normal. It would be interesting to know *why* it went funky for a while, but I don't know that you can really conduct that kind of forensic analysis....

JohnBT
October 12, 2013, 07:28 AM
Two days of no THR back button. It works everywhere else. Beats me.

HA! Now that I've logged in, it works. Go figure.

The other day I opened THR and the main forum page was dark gray with green lettering. A refresh fixed it.

I really need to stick to using my I7 laptop or phone and get rid of my dad's old 3-gig HP 17" loss leader from Best Buy. Or was it Circuit City.

John

amd6547
October 12, 2013, 07:40 AM
Obviously, something was going on net-wide...it happened to many people.
My iPad now is back to normal operation with nothing done by me. Since I have an iPad 1, I did no update or anything (there is no update for the 1, nor will there be).

JohnBT
October 19, 2013, 08:14 AM
Ha! So the back button wasn't working on THR just now. This is still my dad's old HP laptop, TL-60, Vista 32, 3 GB ram.

I rightclicked the back button and got a near-endless list of doubleclick.ad crap. The same one, over and over.

Off to Google I go... back button doubleclick

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/63fe4838-e694-48bd-aa24-d1fd42462d57/httpgoogleadsgdoubleclicknetpage-killing-back-button-in-ie

Lots of info. It only happens to some sites it seems.

"Yes there are 100's of questions about the back button not working in IE8/9 in the consumer forum at answers.microsoft.com

Use another search engine that does not use click through links.

or visit toolbar.google.com and download and install their googleanalytics blocking BHO.

also check your Google toolbar privacy settings... Gear Icon>Privacy tab, uncheck the option to send information to google and then go to http://www.google.com/history and turn of their online history tracking.
"

Miked7762
October 19, 2013, 08:01 PM
An advertisement is stealing the browser focus. When that happens selecting "Back" will go back to the previous object which is the web page that loaded the ad. Make a note of what advertisement or advertisements are shown at the time and you'll find which ones are doing this. The admins can then ask the advertiser to kindly knock it off.

Derek Zeanah
October 19, 2013, 09:27 PM
Yep. Let us know.

In the mean-time, it's nice to know that IE exhibits this vulnerability. Helps for testing.

If you enjoyed reading about "Browser back button oddity" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!