When I grow up I want to be a...

PDA

Diesle
December 27, 2002, 07:51 PM
Not trying to collect resumes but I’m curious enough to ask....

After prowling TFL for some time and now coming here as a member, I’ve had a chance to make some assumptions about some of your professional interests.

If you’re willing, can you post your professional interest(s) and memberships? (What you do or have done to put bread on the table) I have some catching up to do as it seems that so many of you know each other well already. I imagine there are other new folks in the same boat.

Disclaimer: I do not represent a Government agency and your information will not populate any data warehouse and will not be further disseminated in any manner. ;)

I am the Manager of Network Services for a Technologies Consultancy.

Diesle

If you enjoyed reading about "When I grow up I want to be a..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dd-b
December 27, 2002, 08:09 PM
I'm a software engineer. In recent years my specialty has been web server backend programming. In the longer term I've done applications, utilities, communications, drivers, protocol stacks, and embedded code of various sorts.

My main hobbies are photography, science fiction fandom, and shooting.

denfoote
December 27, 2002, 08:17 PM
I started out as an electronics technician, but ended up as a manager for a large janitorial firm.

blades67
December 27, 2002, 08:29 PM
What I'm doing now is in my Profile.

Line Rider
December 27, 2002, 08:29 PM
When I was a kid I wanted to be BATMAN (Adam West). POW!! SOCK!! WHAM!!

I am a police officer. My strongedt influence was my Granddad. I can still remember him in that old NYC style wool coat and that 8 point hat. :)

Hkmp5sd
December 27, 2002, 08:34 PM
haven't grown up yet. Don't plan to either. Afflicted with a major case of Peter Pan Syndrome. :)

George Hill
December 27, 2002, 08:42 PM
Let's see... I managed network engineers for Cisco Systems, Nortel Networks, and now PC techs for a national computer superstore. :(
Before that I was a gunslinger by trade. Not an easy transition.
Now, I am looking for something more interesting that just PC sales and repair.

RANash
December 27, 2002, 08:42 PM
I'm a computer systems engineer and technical instructor in the San Francisco Bay Area.

It seems like a lot of us in the high tech world are also pretty conservative, and have interests that run counter to "political correctness". In most of my classes, there are shooters. I sometimes put a good looking handgun on my computer as a wallpaper (my Valtro, at the moment), and pretty soon all the shooters are sharing stories.

Chaz
December 27, 2002, 08:46 PM
I wanted to be a FIRE ENGINE... So my mom says.

m.i.sanders
December 27, 2002, 10:33 PM
Another Network Admin here. I'm currently the Manager of the Server Admin Team/Network Security Officer, or as I term it, lead gimp. There does seem to be a number of IT type people here though.

Brian Williams
December 27, 2002, 10:38 PM
Grow up, WHY?????

Aging mandatory,
Growing up not!

SkunkApe
December 27, 2002, 10:54 PM
I'm Manager of Manufacturing Engineering for an automotive supply company. My current interests include upland gamebird hunting (ruffed grouse and woodcock), computers, and reading. An occasional trip to the roulette tables isn't out of the question, either.

I also like to watch SpongeBob SquarePants.

Wakal
December 27, 2002, 11:01 PM
I still haven't decided what I want to be when I grow up, although that "fire truck" answer sounds interesting...

In the meantime, I'm hiding in the Overage Cub Scouts....errr...Air Farce. Ex-munitions guy turned Intelligence Analyst, and yes, all the jokes are TRUE :)

I shot a lot of IPSC and IPSC 3-gun, with some IDPA and Cowboy Action thrown in for good measure. Used to shoot bullesye, but I discovered this stuff called "adrenaline." Great fun.

Alex

Gewehr98
December 27, 2002, 11:03 PM
But I will retire after 20 years come May of 2006. Then I will be free to play the curmudgeon. :D

2dogs
December 27, 2002, 11:11 PM
I do not represent a Government agency

But I do.

Also worked in private sector for many years before and after college, in construction, office work, manufacturing etc.

Still looking for my niche, really.

JPM70535
December 27, 2002, 11:14 PM
RETIRED LEO

priv8ter
December 27, 2002, 11:24 PM
Well, I just spent 9 years in the Navy, now I am working for Puget Sound Naval Shipyard...I wouldn't mind any kind of power plant type job for now, but when I grow up, I want to be a teacher. Just doesn't pay well enough to do it right now. Can't wait to make my kids read Heinlein instead of Steinbeck.

2nd Amendment
December 27, 2002, 11:27 PM
And you can't make me! :D

Sadly I never "wanted" to be anything. As such I kept winding up doing my own thing. A garage for a few years, managed a parts store(my one attempt at working for someone else), owned a couple restaurants and then a couple car lots. Now I'm babysitting an ISP and playing with computers at least until spring for the family. To say that I don't deserve the things I have and what I've accomplished would be an understatement. God seems to like me, and I have no idea why. I should definitely thank Him more often, though.

TheLastBoyScout
December 27, 2002, 11:36 PM
MARINE!... oh well, I still have a few more years left in HS

PATH
December 27, 2002, 11:40 PM
Teacher and part time gun store employee.

Big_R
December 27, 2002, 11:44 PM
I'm a machine maintenance technician for a medical device company.

Ryan

Alan Smithiee
December 27, 2002, 11:49 PM
Pro Cat Cushion, and the Medical Industry (90% of every dollar I make goes to medical costs, so I figure I really work for them) I'm also the person people call when the computers stop working (I don't know why, but they do)

Tamara
December 27, 2002, 11:52 PM
Unemployed bum.

sm
December 27, 2002, 11:56 PM
Just want to be content.
Finish school

What I have done:
35 yrs retail, includes/not limited to buying diamonds, setting diamonds.
When returned to college, spent time in the main OR of a hospital.
Have/do act as consultant on some security needs.

Looking for a job
I'm available for adoption (under right circumstances);)

SquirrelNuts
December 28, 2002, 12:01 AM
Youth minister at the only church I have ever attended. I was the first baby born into the congregation. The building was still being built and services were held temporarily in the cafeteria of the elementary school across the street. I was babptized in the cafeteria. It makes for some funny pictures :) and no, it did not take place in a mixing bowl.

-SquirrelNuts

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
December 28, 2002, 12:18 AM
huh. Interesting question. Upon reflection, things I have done for money are...

By education, I first held a degree in economics with a minor in computer science. Then I worked for my Uncle for a few years, then went into my family's business. Worked for the state government for a few more years. Got tired of that, went back to school, got my BS in nursing; worked in neurooncology. Got fed up with the HMO situation. Owned a coffeehouse, which is an oxymoron if you consider that a paying gig, but it sure was fun. Currently I get paid to be a hardware analyist for a large multinational computer manufacturer with a three letter monogram. Who the hell knows what I may decide tomorrow.

Regards,
Rabbit.

Please do not eat the big pink mint.

RustyHammer
December 28, 2002, 12:36 AM
... computer god! (Note: Am working on promotion to "upper case" God.) ---- swooosh ----->>>> Lightning bolt raining down from my computer station !!!

:p :o :)

BamBam
December 28, 2002, 12:44 AM
I own an access control buisness. Keypads, card readers, etc.

Interests are family, cars, boats, guns, gizmos.

DeltaElite
December 28, 2002, 12:49 AM
Door man at a strip club. :D

ZekeLuvs1911
December 28, 2002, 12:51 AM
Currently a Packaging Supervisor at a major pharmaceutical corporation. My hoobies are target shooting, skiing, books, movies, wargaming, and computer gaming.

voilsb
December 28, 2002, 01:00 AM
when I was a kid I wanted to be an astonomer. then I got to college, and found out I was too lazy to spend a week on one math problem.

so I checked out the army rotc program, got hooked, and became a history major. thinking about changing my major if it'll speed up graduation.

I'm in the oregon army national guard, in an infantry company. I will commission as an infantry officer, detailed from the signal corps. this means I will be infantry for 2+ years, then signal for the rest of my career. I want to command infantry, though, so I'm gonna see what I can do to get that.

outside the military, I'd love to be a highschool calculus or physics teacher, or get into law enforcement.

Diesle
December 28, 2002, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Tamara
Unemployed bum.

I had a feeling thats what you'd say... ;)

Diesle

Griff
December 28, 2002, 01:58 AM
When I was little I wanted to be a "big red jet airplane". Now that I'm not so young anymore I travel a lot, guess wishes can come true.

Hi, I'm new here, found this site from TFL (betcha never heard that before), looks like a lot of good experience and opinions well worth reading. Looking forward to learning from you all. Thanks for the site, Ladies and Gentlemen.

Schuey2002
December 28, 2002, 02:22 AM
.."field rep" for a certain German small arms manufacturer.
(The one located in the small town of Oberndorf,Germany.)

Now,that would be the life. :D

JeFF D
December 28, 2002, 02:45 AM
Once I get out of HS(Junior) I'm going to school to become a Machinist.

Pointman
December 28, 2002, 03:04 AM
I would say I'm just another technology exec, but unlike many tech execs I'm also a netadmin, sysadmin, programmer and EMPLOYED.

In previous lives I've been a pizza shop mgr, gun shop owner, and gunsmith.

What a long strange road it's been....

80fl
December 28, 2002, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by Tamara

Unemployed bum.

Now, does this mean that you were formerly a professional bum who is now unemployed?:D

Moondancer
December 28, 2002, 05:11 AM
Currently Ops. Manager for an automotive supplier plant.

Seems like I've been in the automotive industry (manufacturing side) forever, but it's only been since 1976:D ! Started out as a fork lift operator, went to Supervisor (foreman in those days) to General Foreman, to Quality Assurance Supervisor, to QA Manager to Plant Manager to Ops. Manager. Three different companies, four different plant.

Like 2nd Amendment, I've never really wanted to be anything (except maybe James Bond, or for you older guys out there, Napolean Solo). God seems to like me, too, as I seem to be in the right place at the right time doing what the right thing.

Ala Dan
December 28, 2002, 05:20 AM
Career Law Enforcement Veteran: at an early age I decided
to dedicate myself to "Protect and Serve" the public. I'm still
doing the same; but to somewhat of a lesser degree!

Prior to this I was a student of this occupation; learning from
some of the very best in the business. Law enforcement can
be a good source of income; if you are fortunate enough to
get hired by a "major" agency.

But a word of warning is in order: "You won't get rich; but it
pay's the Bill's". The only lay-off's in this business are of the
permanent type, called "TERMINATED"!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

berettaman
December 28, 2002, 09:39 AM
During high school I just wanted to be cool.Ok so I failed at that.After HS I went to college for a while and studied "not going to class" and "alchol consumsion".Many others were in my field but alas they offer no degree's in this.I soon found a great job with my aquired knowledge of "spirits" and started as a beer inspector at a local bar.This job paid nothing and cost extream amounts of money,however I made several contacts.I hung mufflers for a living for about 5 years when one of my contacts got me a job at the local cable company."Hallaluah"I was now cool.Meeting good looking chicks,driving a cool van and getting every channel known to man for free.The pay sucked but the fringe benifits.Twelve years later I was the cool of the cool,"Line Tech","Cable God".Alas after being bought out by five different companies over the years it wasn't the same place I went to work for and decided to leave.I now am a contractor that builds the physical cable plant.Better money and hours.

December 28, 2002, 01:13 PM
Went to school here and there, didn't accomplish anything.
Spent a short time in the military and six years in the reserves.
Worked briefly for DMV.
Workd briefly in a power plant.
Worked for seven years as a paramedic for a private ambulance company that ran duel response with FD on all the 911 calls in a fairly big city.
Have worked for 11 years as a firefighter/paramedic in that same city to present.
Really enjoy my job and wouldn't have any desire to do anything else. However, I am still waiting on that lotto ticket to come in. I actually had a ticket on that powerball drawing that I had bought in West (by god) Virginia. Wrong town and wrong store however.

cratz2
December 28, 2002, 01:30 PM
In the IT field in one form or another for about 10 years. Training and entry level management before that and extremely underworked and overpaid construction worker before that.

I'm in need of a career change - I'm burnt out... Been thinking about opening a pawn shop but I think I'd also be perfectly happy being a lot attendant at a Porsche or BMW dealership and just keeping nice cars clean.

grampster
December 28, 2002, 01:53 PM
Former leo and presently a senior agent for a large midwest insurance company. (till 9-1-05, 2yrs-9mos and 3 days; but who's counting)
As a kid, I chased firetrucks but don't remember wanting to be anything except maybe Crazylegs Hersch. Went to college for awhile and then became a leo which I left to do the insurance gig.
During the last 10 years I have and am serving my community as a Township Trustee, Planning Commissioner, Zoning Board Administrator, Fire Department Commissioner, Lake Improvement Board Chair, Trustee of a municipal sewer authority, County Board of Public Works Commissioner and watchdog of the local public schools. Pheww. I never really thought about all the stuff I have gotten myself into before...Sheesh maybe I need to step back and take some time to play with my firearms a little more.

Happy New Year Highroaders!

Finch
December 28, 2002, 01:58 PM
Bah, I have been asking myself this question since I started highschool, now I'm in my second year of college and I still have no real idea what I want to do. First it was Culinary Arts, I went on a job shadow with a Chef and relized that was a horrible job. Second was Network Technican. I went to school for about a year for that, got my CCNP, MCSE, and A+, and got a job as a Network Analyst. Then I realized I was surrounded by Lord Of The Rings geeks and people who had no clue what they were doing, not quite fond of being the only one who works while the rest just play LAN games. This was a Microbiologist. I thought this was the one, but it turned out that I didn't feel like sitting behind a microscope all day.

Now I would like to go into law enforcment. The more I think about it, the more I wish I was 21 already (19 now). I really enjoy physical work, guns, and getting one over on people who piss me off, so I think being an LEO would fit me just fine. Now I just need to start running.

HS/LD
December 28, 2002, 02:08 PM
When I grow up I want to be a....

MALL NINJA!!! :D

HS/LD

TheLastBoyScout
December 28, 2002, 02:11 PM
I really enjoy physical work, guns, and getting one over on people who piss me off, so I think being an LEO would fit me just fine.

LOL!

Waitone
December 28, 2002, 04:51 PM
I'm currently an unemployed sales and marketing weenie. Always wanted to be a sales and marketing weenie (proof positive one can grow up without a life). Problem is my industry is circling the toilet.

Since its clear to me clean living is a lost cause I'm thinkin' about buying land on a major interstate interchange and putting in the following:

--convenience store with gas and beer sales
--liquor store
--cigar store
--gun shop
--police station
--house of ill-repute
--medical clinic.

Opps! Now that I think of it, South of the Border got there ahead of me. Well, now looking for plan B.

Hand_Rifle_Guy
December 28, 2002, 05:44 PM
I come from a long line of doctors. One granddad was a Lokheed rocket scientist. My brother works for NASA at Jet Propulsion Laboratories. My sister has a degree in aerospace engineering, and worked for Rockwell on the shuttle program before she quit.

Me? I make stuff. Cabinets. Furniture. Stairs. Chandeliers. Display fixtures. Lots of different things. And I seem to be really good at it.

Just got a new job, after too long without one.

Now I work for Accurate Woodworks. We make custom cabinetry, and these:

http://www.oldwoodies.com/img/usa/47ford_hedlund.jpg

Yup. I get paid to restore Woody Wagons. (Picture courtesy of Oldwoodies.com.) With my backround in metal and wood-working, this job is going to be FUN. Beats being a rocket scientist, I think.

More people need to have a job they really like. I got lucky.

Trsnrtr
December 28, 2002, 05:56 PM
I build targets.

Chuck Dye
December 28, 2002, 06:39 PM
When I see some advantage to growing up, I might try it. Until then, leave me alone!

While testing the waters, I have worked on wheat, cattle and sheep stations; drilled for oil, water, gas, and mineral samples; mined iron, nickle, and opal; driven a wide variety of on and off-road trucks, including 250 ton diesel-electric ore trucks, desert exploration sand buggies, and 250 foot long roadtrains; fished for shrimp, lobster, and ground fish; been a bouncer, fry cook, Cat skinner (dozer driver), and wage slave in a cannery.

Politically Incorrect
December 28, 2002, 09:02 PM
RETIRED!

Okay, so I haven't worked for over a year, own two Cadillacs and a gold watch. But I'm only 26 and my retirement cannot last too much longer.

After school, I'm looking to work in a production studio with some nonlinear editing equipment or working as a videographer.

Maybe somewhere near Las Vegas.

Butch
December 28, 2002, 09:15 PM
I wanna be Dolly Parton when I grow up. :p :p :p :p :p

CAP
December 28, 2002, 09:26 PM
Have been: boat yard boy, cabinet maker, furniture maker, interior trim man, student (poor), computer operator, computer tech, and computer systems administrator.
I get paid these days for supporting 8K+ laptops and desktops as well as 6K screaming users!:mad: :mad:

Also husband, father, shooter, fisherman, yardman, landlord, 'guy with the garage', and the guy who yells at speeders on his street (school zone).

CAP

Soap
December 28, 2002, 09:35 PM
See profile. If things go as planned, in a few years it will be "Independently Wealthy" instead of "Full Time student".

duck hunt
December 28, 2002, 10:07 PM
My husband was a doorman at a strip club when I met him, and there are few crappier jobs. No free evenings, no benefits, and regular fisticuffs defending, well, women of ill repute. No thanks.

I wanted to be a belly dancer, a teacher, an author and a princess. I've done everything but the last one now. Guess I've got my work cut out for me.

gburner
December 28, 2002, 10:11 PM
Historian, Corrections Officer, Rehab/Behavioral Mod Counselor, Certified Substance Abuse Counselor, Clinical Director...nervous breakdown...self employed co-owner of a Dance Studio. Greatest claim to fame is my 22 year marraige to my high school sweetheart and our two outstanding boys.

I still watch cartoons and eat Coco-
Krispies in my jammies.

Iggy
December 28, 2002, 11:46 PM
College student.. Vertebrate Paleontolgy
City Policeman
State Highway Patrolman
Rancher
Wishing I could retire, but ranching is a life sentence...

pax
December 29, 2002, 12:16 AM
Things I have done for money:

mow lawns/babysit
clerical work/receptionist
junk mail writer (yes, really -- best job I ever had)
secretary
construction worker/carpenter's flunky (love it)
data entry and clerical work, plus some personal assistant stuff

Done a lot of stuff that nobody's paid me for, including a couple summers work as a counselor at a camp for inner-city kids when I was still mostly a kid myself, and (more recently) lots of sucker work as the 'she'll do anything' mom for most the activities my kids are involved in, and at least a little volunteer work at my favorite range, RSO'ing and helping build stuff.

pax

The supreme accomplishment is to blur the line between work and play. -- Arnold Toynbee

RKCheung
December 29, 2002, 12:34 AM
haven't grown up yet. Don't plan to either. Afflicted with a major case of Peter Pan Syndrome.

HK -

I hope you don't mean you want to be this guy:

Peter Pan (http://www.pixyland.org/peterpan/)

WARNING!!! - CONTENTS MAY INDUCE VOMITING OR CONVULSIONS

:rolleyes:

Blackhawk
December 29, 2002, 01:52 AM
I do what I want, and am continually dumbfounded that people are willing to pay me for it!

No plans to grow up and get a regular job (i.e., something that's like "work") unless I have to.

Blackhawk
December 29, 2002, 01:54 AM
rkcheung,

I'm surprised the copyright lawyers haven't shut him down yet, and your warning is right on target!

Smoke
December 29, 2002, 02:34 AM
My wife came to me the other day and said our son told her: "When I grow up I want to be a cowboy". My wife asked me if you can do both....

I haven't grown up and I still cowboy. I just decided that to put bread on the table and guns in the cabinet I better get on the right side of the loan desk. So I loan money to farmers and ranchers now.

dinosaur
December 29, 2002, 07:33 AM
Professional lap dance inspector.:D

Jessica
December 29, 2002, 09:01 AM
I'm in retail and currently trying to get on the reserve police department in a small town.

Monkeyleg
December 29, 2002, 05:37 PM
Currently a photographer and digital retoucher/manipulator. Working my way into website development as well.

Past jobs:
Dishwasher
Drug store clerk
Machine operator in a factory that made some kind of thing
Encyclopedia salesman (no sales, but met some pretty young ladies)
Men's clothing salesman
Auto parts driver (many times)
Newspaper vending machine repairman

If I could be anything, I'd go back to delivering auto parts. But the pay just isn't there. :(

NEon
December 29, 2002, 07:08 PM
When I grow up I want to have as much fun as my children have at what they do. Having fun with Guns is one thing, just having fun is quiet another.

4v50 Gary
December 29, 2002, 07:32 PM
a window washer me!:D

O.K., more serious. My hands have poor circulation and I can't take the cold. I'd be a teacher at the Jr. College level. Why? Well, because unlike the University Level, there's no publish or perish (you've got to do research to add to the prestige of the university). Besides less pressure, you get one week off for Easter, two weeks off for Xmas, a whole summer off just like the kiddies. Money isn't bad either.

WR Olsen
December 29, 2002, 07:54 PM
I am an emergency management consultant. In other words I advise clients how to plan for and survive some of the bad things that can happen to good people.

Before that I have taught trauma to med school students, managed a national bank technical recovery program and "retired" after too many years running a government management information system.

Other than that I've spent my life looking for a careet!

emann
December 29, 2002, 10:49 PM
I grew up wanting to be a train engineer. Now I am one! :)

MPFreeman
December 30, 2002, 08:36 PM
My oldest son (three total) is four years old and without question or hesitation wants to be a crocidile when he grows up and gets big like daddy. We watched a PBS show about african crocs and he was amazed and awed by the teeth and killing power of the critters. So now for the past few months, he's determined to be a crocidile. I just tell him that he can be anything he wants to be. Though I was thinking along other lines, but crocidiles are fine for now. At least he didn't say "Honorable elected official".

MPF

RANash
December 31, 2002, 01:09 AM
A crocodile is a reptile. An elected official is a reptile too, just not honest about it! :D

Rangerover
December 31, 2002, 01:26 AM
MPFreeman:

An admirable young man you have there! Crocodile-dom is a time-honored and noble profession! I, for one, daresay that he could certainly have worse role models than our toothy reptilian friend! May he thoroughly enjoy himself while embarking upon his noble quest!:D

I, on the other hand, distinctly recall that when I was somewhere around your son's age I fervently desired to grow up and be invisible...:p

Lancel
December 31, 2002, 02:12 AM
In chronological order the significant occupations I've had are:
[list=0]
Nothin'
Student
Airlines Fueler
Construction Laborer
Security Guard
Student
Army - 21 yrs
Nothin'
[/list=0]
It's good to be young again.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "When I grow up I want to be a..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!