Safety First: Attacked by an RTAK II: Gore Warning

PDA

Sam Cade
September 8, 2013, 10:35 PM
Just home from the ER.

Submitted for discussion.:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=188761&stc=1&d=1378693889

Yup. That is my knee. Cutting through a 3" stink-wood sapling with a freshly honed, lightly modified, very sharp RTAK II.

Standing on a steep bank and got a bit sloppy with body position. D'oh!!

Wacked through the sapling and into my knee. Very, very gnarly.

If you enjoyed reading about "Safety First: Attacked by an RTAK II: Gore Warning" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
highorder
September 8, 2013, 10:44 PM
Any tendon or ligament damage?

Sam Cade
September 8, 2013, 10:47 PM
Nope. Just meat.
A lot of meat.

But it could have been much much worse.

JohnKSa
September 8, 2013, 11:37 PM
That's probably worth getting some professional attention.

Deep wounds near joints can get complicated.

JShirley
September 8, 2013, 11:39 PM
Oh. Darn, brother.

SEE THAT, THR BRETHREN! SEE HOW SAM BLEEDS FOR YOU! APPRECIATE IT! ;)

Ow. Glad it was no worse. And I would feel guilty, but you have so many bladed instruments of destruction, I guess I shouldn't.

John

Texan Scott
September 8, 2013, 11:56 PM
I think what JShirley meant was:

http://www.alimartell.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Screen-Shot-2013-01-14-at-9.45.23-AM-300x300.png

Heal quickly and well, Sam. :(

hso
September 9, 2013, 12:11 AM
got a bit sloppy with body position
But it could have been much much worse.
Just meat.
A lot of meat.

Well, yes, yes it could. Good thing the sapling wasn't further up the bank. :evil:

So, how many stitches?

stressed
September 9, 2013, 12:14 AM
Pretty clean, you'll be fine.

Sam Cade
September 9, 2013, 12:41 AM
So, how many stitches?

6 mattress stitches so it would have been 12-14 simple ones.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizontal_mattress_stitch

Good thing the sapling wasn't further up the bank.

I had that thought :what:

On the upside, my nurse was a smokin' hot, rangy redhead who complimented the musculature of my legs and asked if I was a runner.
:eek:
I'm not, unless chasing a coonhound counts.:cool:

And I would feel guilty

Don't.
I got an ice cream cone and an purty gal laid her hand on my inner thigh. Sure, her other hand was vigorously scrubbing an open laceration, but still, totally worth it.
:evil:

On a related note, knocking off the grip hump and most of the bare "pommel" on an RTAK II goes a long way toward making it into a more efficient cutter just through weight redistribution. MUCH more efficient. :banghead:
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=188768&stc=1&d=1378701681

If anyone is looking for an interesting read, this is the same knife that John used in this excellent Tomahawk article from Shooting Reviews.

http://www.shootingreviews.com/tomahawks-hard-use-tools-and-weapons-or-tactical-toys/

hso
September 9, 2013, 12:44 AM
complimented the musculature of my legs and asked if I was a runner

That's called "bedside manner" there Lefty.

zhyla
September 9, 2013, 01:10 AM
Sam, if you can't keep from hurting yourself we're going to have to take all your knives away. Which will require a very large pickup truck I'm sure.

I hope the initial scream was manly.

50 Shooter
September 9, 2013, 01:13 AM
Well you know what they say, women love scars! You already have a redhead interested...

stressed
September 9, 2013, 01:29 AM
Well you know what they say, women love scars! You already have a redhead interested...
Really? I've been told I'm a monster. Hmm. :confused:

Wooo Sam Cade.

Mp7
September 9, 2013, 07:36 AM
sometimes i think we are hurting ourselves
to generate content for the interwebz. :D

get well soon.

Deltaboy
September 9, 2013, 07:50 AM
Prayers sent for you Sam. At least you got proper medical care.

Sam1911
September 9, 2013, 08:25 AM
Geez, man. That's gonna leave a mark! Probably wise to get the stitches.

Heal up fast! :)

Sam Cade
September 9, 2013, 08:50 AM
The morning after, and I am so stiff I can hardly move. Something of an inconvenience.

This same injury had it occurred more than a few hours away from hospital care could have been very serious.

As it was, I never managed to get the bleeding completely stopped despite a pressure bandage. I had picked up a CAT out of my bag on the way out the door and I was fixing to drop my pants and apply the damn thing in the ER when I finally got called back.

Thanks for all the positive thoughts folks!

Sam Cade
September 9, 2013, 08:51 AM
Probably wise to get the stitches.

I tried to get the doc to stitch it in such a manner so I would have a handy change purse on my knee.

No dice he said. ;)

Sam1911
September 9, 2013, 08:57 AM
Oh, ouch. Having played with them a bit, I don't relish the idea of applying a CAT to myself. As the guy instructing told us, the guy's going to be screaming, probably more from the tourniquet than the wound.

Mp7
September 9, 2013, 11:44 AM
Sam Cade

inventor of the ccw-knee-pouch-holster :evil:

(couldnt resist ...)

And don't be the guy who brings a knee to a knifefight.

Shanghai McCoy
September 9, 2013, 11:50 AM
"It's just a scratch....";)

Glad you were able to get to the hospital OK and get it taken care of.
Let this be a lesson to all of us who swing the big knives... Be aware of what is on the other side of your target.

tubeshooter
September 9, 2013, 12:15 PM
Ouch! Glad it wasn't any worse - could have been, easily.

Of course I wish you a speedy and full recovery.

Sam Cade
September 9, 2013, 01:03 PM
.. Be aware of what is on the other side of your target.

Indeed!

There is a very good lesson in this.

Don't get complacent about safety.

Swinging a chopper should not ever be a casual act as it only takes one seconds worth of inattention to cause a serious injury.

I'm damned lucky to have not maimed myself..... or bled out since I was about a mile from the house, on foot in the woods.

lemaymiami
September 9, 2013, 01:24 PM
Tough being the entertainment at the local E.R. Hope you heal quickly and without problems.... I figure that most who use blades a lot will need firstaid sooner or later (ask me how I know).

I spend a bit of time running solo miles away from one boat ramp or other and always try to work safely... None of us are error free, though. I've known dog handlers with bite scars, range personnel with bullet scars (and none of them with "war stories" they'd like to brag about....).

Glad there was a good end to this story.....

bikerdoc
September 9, 2013, 05:17 PM
Wow!
From doc the knife nut:
I own one of your machetes, complements of John Shirley. I have been lazy about posting some pics of how well it chops saplings. It was sharp when I got it but since I am retired and infirm I have plenty of time to make it scary sharp!
You make good stuff!

And I used it without cutting myself. (neener)

Seriously that is one serious blade that does the job, kudo's to your craftsmanship

From doc the medic and RN;
Be more careful!!! I have seen enough wounds to know they each have a story which can be filed under "I wasn't paying attention."

Scars are tattoo's with better stories or as we said in the E R - teaching and learning moments! Be proud your injury was not prefaced by " hold my beer."
As for the nurse, that was a once in a lifetime experience dude, pretty nurses are hunting for a rich MD to marry.

Keep the wound clean and follow the change of dressing instructions. If you were closer I would help.

Glad you were lucky , now back to the bench and turn out some extraordinary blades. :)

Double_J
September 9, 2013, 06:19 PM
Dang it Sam, you apparently have a "vampire knife" in your collection. The safest thing to do is get rid of that knife as once it tastes blood it wants more. :evil: I had one of those at one time, it was a spyderco delica 2 that was OMG sharp. It left me with more than one cut/scar.

I am sorry to see that nasty cut, but as has been said it is a reminder that we are playing with VERY DANGEROUS tools that deserve respect. Keep the wound clean and properly bandaged and recover soon. Those scars will just be reminders as to what can happen when we let our attention waver for a moment. I still remember my boy scout days when we all had to learn to respect a sharp knife. (it involved cutting a piece of rope with a dull knife, then a sharp knife, which worked very well for a bunch of young boys)

50 Shooter
September 9, 2013, 07:18 PM
I forgot to ask Sam, can I still send you my knife to put an edge on? LOL

Sorry, had to kid but it needs to be finished and after seeing what you can do....

Take the down time to get better, gimping around hurt sucks!

ugaarguy
September 10, 2013, 01:23 AM
Sam C, this is just unacceptable: We can't have our machete wielding EMT putting himself in the ER. ;)

I hope you're less stiff later this morning when you get up, and I hope you heal quickly.

Sam Cade
September 11, 2013, 01:32 PM
So a couple days in and this is what it looks like.

That doesn't look half bad does it?
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=188841&stc=1&d=1378919899

The laceration doesn't hurt. Never hurt.
But OH MY GOD the swelling stiffness in my knee is terrible and the resulting stiff-leg hobble is causing my other knee to ache something fierce.

The healing has well and truly begun and with the healing comes the maddening itching. :p

Managed to knock out a .3x3.5x7" hunk of test fauxcarta before I had to give up standing.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=188842&stc=1&d=1378919899

Sam Cade
September 11, 2013, 01:39 PM
I forgot to ask Sam, can I still send you my knife to put an edge on? LOL

The Cam-BK9? Sure. I should be caught up by this weekend so hit me up sometime next week to make sure I've got everything else done first.

Coincidentally, when I chopped myself I was thinking about knives. Just not the knife I was using. :banghead: Specifically, I was thinking about how the modded RTAK II compared to a BK9 performance-wise. . My mind wandered...:banghead:

Sam Cade
September 11, 2013, 11:21 PM
A bit more work under the hood of the RTAK II.

If I was doing this for someone I would have scribed it and made the pattern nice and even. Since its for my own personal edification I just let the drill press rip. ;)

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=188852&stc=1&d=1378955253

New POB is right at the end of the ricasso/choil.

lobo9er
September 11, 2013, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the reminder to stay safe!

Tony_the_tiger
September 11, 2013, 11:49 PM
=ouch

two gun charlie
September 12, 2013, 02:28 AM
:scrutiny: serves you right for killing innocent little saplings :neener:

next time take on trees your own size :D

JShirley
September 12, 2013, 06:01 AM
Oy. We'd be limited to small trees, doc, Sam and I!

Sam Owens, on the other hand..

bikerdoc
September 12, 2013, 07:49 AM
Now that is funny!

Sam Cade
September 12, 2013, 10:50 AM
Sam Owens just yanks them up out of the ground with his bear hands.

That isn't a typo. He actually has the hands (and arms) of a bear like some escapee from the island of Dr.Moreau.

;)

Sam O is so big he makes a plate carrier look like a baby bib.
http://www.shootingreviews.com/tacprogear-rapid-assault-plate-carrier/

Sam1911
September 12, 2013, 11:12 AM
Omg! :)

hso
September 12, 2013, 11:16 AM
That is his bib.

Sam1911
September 12, 2013, 11:20 AM
I've lost a few lbs. since that picture... :o

ugaarguy
September 12, 2013, 11:47 AM
I've lost a few lbs. since that picture...
Yeah, but have you magically gotten shorter? :scrutiny:
That is his bib.
That would make sense, because I hear he eats live .50 BMG rounds like hot dogs.

Sam Cade
September 12, 2013, 11:58 AM
Out in meatspace, at this very moment Sam O and JShirley are moving a very heavy gunsafe up some stairs. :evil:

This is a surveillance photo sourced from the MCAC DHS "fusion center".

http://welovecult.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Thunderdome-Master-Blaster.jpg

50 Shooter
September 12, 2013, 02:02 PM
Who runs Barter Town?!

Sam1911
September 12, 2013, 10:19 PM
I've lost a few lbs. since that picture...
Yeah, but have you magically gotten shorter? :scrutiny:Er...it was mostly in the feet?

Sam Cade
September 12, 2013, 10:45 PM
When Sam Owens gets a haircut his barber sweeps up the clippings and ships them to mainland China where they are sold by traditional apothecaries as as the aphrodisiac Red Dragon.

RetiredUSNChief
September 12, 2013, 10:54 PM
WOW!

Sorry to see you got injured.

When I looked at the pic, however, the first thing that came to my mind was "not a bad place to take a cut like that, considering it was on the knee".

To the left a wee bit and the knee cap would have been damaged. A little tot he left and either higher or lower and it could have caused major tendon damage.

I stuck about an inch and a half of a fillet knife into my left thigh when I was a teen. Surprisingly, it wasn't all that bad...I was hobbling for a day or two, but after that it was no big deal.

Sweet deal with the nurse, though! And hope you heal quickly.

hso
September 12, 2013, 10:55 PM
Wait just a cotton pick'n minute!

How did Sam deflect our ridicule of his bush league bushcraft accident to Sam's size???

Let's get back to taunting the guy that KNEEds it! :evil:

So, Gimpy, what knife for knife tester? Oh, that one's been answered! :neener:

I'm sure we could keep you in stitches. ... ;)

Black Butte
September 12, 2013, 11:10 PM
Imagine what this would have done to Sam's knee.

Sam Cade
September 12, 2013, 11:18 PM
You guys are just jealous of my Wolverine-like healing factor. :evil:

RTR_RTR
September 13, 2013, 01:22 AM
I'm fairly sure Wolverine's injuries didn't require approximation to minimize scarring ;)

Sam Cade
September 13, 2013, 01:38 AM
I'm fairly sure Wolverine's injuries didn't require approximation to minimize scarring ;)

Dude, don't shatter my self image. :evil:

hso
September 13, 2013, 07:03 AM
self-image, delusion - tomatoe, tomatO

Sam Cade
September 13, 2013, 10:50 AM
self-image, delusion

You say delusion, I say the power of positive thinking. :neener:

Speaking of which:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=i5hCczfGYv0#t=99

:eek:

TimboKhan
September 13, 2013, 10:51 AM
If we are going to start talking about comic books, then it is time for me to enter into this conversation. Sam Owens can be Forge, Sam Cade can be Wolverine, HSO can be Professor X, JShirley can be Gambit and I can be Colossus.

Because I am big, you see.

JShirley
September 13, 2013, 11:29 AM
Timbo,

Sam and I wished many times yesterday that you were here, helping move the safe up the stairs!

I stuck about an inch and a half of a fillet knife into my left thigh when I was a teen

Oddly enough, I did the same thing to my right thigh. I had my little sister put a Band-Aid on it (I stuck it into the back of the leg), and forgot to tell my parents I'd stabbed myself. :scrutiny:

John

hso
September 13, 2013, 02:34 PM
Ohhhh, I can't tease Sam too much (well, yes, I can), but I've had to effect repairs due to self inflicted knife injuries on a couple (wellll, perhaps more than a "couple") of times. Michaela patched up the worst one I ever had when she was just a kid (and, yes, I should have gone to the ER, but she did a good enough job that I just have an ugly scar inside my left elbow to show for my foolishness).

Sam Cade
September 13, 2013, 04:17 PM
self inflicted knife injuries

The first thing I did with the Daily Kiri I reviewed was to drop it.

On my bare foot.

Where it stuck point first. :o

Sam1911
September 13, 2013, 04:52 PM
Jeez...I haven't done THAT one. Though John and I did talk about what might happen if the sheath doesn't have quite enough retention and it goes a 'wandering around inside your shirt...

TimboKhan
September 13, 2013, 04:57 PM
I am guessing you guys were just really pining for my expert supervision since ol' Bear Arms probably picked up the safe and carried it up the stairs one handed.:p

Sam Cade
September 13, 2013, 05:08 PM
I am guessing you guys were just really pining for my expert supervision since ol' Bear Arms probably picked up the safe and carried it up the stairs one handed.:p

That is more or less how John described it.

Sam O then proceeded to beat a steam engine in a steel-drivin' contest.

;)

Sam1911
September 13, 2013, 05:14 PM
Geeez. Yeah, just tossed it. Like two ants pushing a locomotive up K2.

There's a really cute Winnie the Poo story about a bad storm and some flooding in the forest and Poo has a fantastic way of describing riding a barrel through the flood waters. Something about sometimes he rode the barrel and sometimes it was the other way 'round.

Pretty much like that.

There was a come-along winch involved, which should forever be re-named a "How 'bout you just stay there" winch. Leaping from stairways. We squashed the dolly I brought. And the electronic keypad. I'm going to have to come back to spackle and help repaint some stuff. And I did have to clean blood off the walls in three or four places.

Sam Cade
September 13, 2013, 05:34 PM
I told John that he should maybe tape a bit of foam over the corners so y'all wouldn't be so likely to scratch the paint....bwhahahaha!

I'm just glad that no one got pinned under the safe and was forced to saw their own arm off with a Chinese multitool.

RetiredUSNChief
September 13, 2013, 06:38 PM
I'm just glad that no one got pinned under the safe and was forced to saw their own arm off with a Chinese multitool.

No need for that.

I know someone with an RTAK II that could do the job right quick, no sawing required...

:evil:

hso
September 13, 2013, 07:46 PM
Where it stuck point first.

Seen it at Blade (but the guy wasn't barefoot). Luckiest unlucky guy I ever saw. Fumbled one of Rob Simonich's Crowfoots and tried to catch it. The rest of us did the "knife drop hop" while this guy tried to take every finger in each hand off grabbing and slapping at it to keep it from hitting the concrete under the thin rug. He almost got it several times, but all he seemed to be able to do was pop it back up a few inches and have it resume its path to the floor. Finally it eluded him, or he just got tired, and it stuck point down in the top of his shoe. We looked to see if there were any fingers to pick up and with the luck of a noob/fool the guy hadn't even cut himself juggling the live blade.

Still, there he stood transfixed to the spot with this pointy piece of razor sharp steel sticking its butt proudly in the air like a happy lawn dart at a kindergarten playground. He didn't scream or shout or say a word. He just stood statue-like looking down at his foot. In honor of his composure we stood equally still until the inevitable words were uttered. "Did it get you?" There was a pause as we were released from our spell and we drew closer to look at the knife in its new display and then he said quietly "Dunno" (as if he was afraid of disturbing it and making the knife somehow angry).

A discussion broke out about what to do and it was generally settled that a first aid kit would be acquired (instantly produced by some former 18D sort), the shoe would be loosened (almost equally quickly done by some guy with a knife), and the guy with the new appendage would pull his foot slowly, or quickly, out of the shoe. Luckiest unlucky guy I ever saw. Not a mark on him (although we didn't check his underwear). Somehow the knife had gone through the top of his shoe and between the toes without injuring him. I don't even remember if he bought the thing, but he should have because he had a dozen opportunities to have bits bitten off and hadn't lost a drop of blood.

Sam Cade
September 14, 2013, 05:52 PM
Townsend Whelen famously remarked that "Only accurate rifles are interesting". As a corollary I offer this "Only sharp knives are interesting."

The factory edge on the RTAK II is absurdly obtuse, hampering performance and increasing the chance of a glancing accident.

Regrinding the edge to a thinner profile makes this knife a much more efficient cutter all around, but especially for notching and kitchen duties.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=188930&stc=1&d=1379193538

Deltaboy
September 14, 2013, 09:19 PM
Get well soon Sam.

Sam Cade
September 14, 2013, 09:34 PM
Get well soon Sam.

Oh, I'm up and mobile but can't stand for very long or walk for very far. Knee is still VERY stiff.

Heading back to the Doc in another week to lose the stitches and get checked out.

Deltaboy
September 23, 2013, 06:50 PM
Hope your better now.

Sam Cade
September 23, 2013, 08:09 PM
Pretty much healed but still have some stiffness.

I'm down with The Flu at the moment.

Andrew Wyatt
September 24, 2013, 12:39 AM
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111120213838/elderscrolls/images/7/76/Whiterun_Guard.jpg

Sam Cade
September 24, 2013, 05:18 PM
Indeed. :cool:
The mod that causes the guard to get stuck by lightning every time they say it is well worth the download. :neener:

In other knee related news:

Bill for my stitches was nearly $900.

:scrutiny:

RetiredUSNChief
September 24, 2013, 07:27 PM
Indeed. :cool:
The mod that causes the guard to get stuck by lightning every time they say it is well worth the download. :neener:

In other knee related news:

:scrutiny:
You know, I'd have done it for half that and sent you home with a bottle of Bacardi 1873, grattis.

;)

bikerdoc
September 24, 2013, 07:56 PM

Seriously, You know I was a combat medic and then an RN.

A bottle of Jack for the pain and #2 fishing line, and your good to go.
Free is good. :)

RetiredUSNChief
September 24, 2013, 08:33 PM
Seriously, You know I was a combat medic and then an RN.

A bottle of Jack for the pain and #2 fishing line, and your good to go.
Free is good. :)

You're cutting into my recreational funds, pal...

Grrrr!

:p

Sam Cade
September 24, 2013, 08:42 PM
Well, I had a suture kit in my boo-boo bag back at the house, but I talked myself out of it.
:cuss:

I shoulda just whipstitched it and called it good.

;)
*grumble*

Shanghai McCoy
September 25, 2013, 08:46 AM
A buddy of mine had propped a hedge bowstave against a tree and proceeded to drawknife off the bark. stave slipped,drawknife slipped, shin of left leg stopped drawknife.:eek:

I was elsewhere and they couldn't find the first aid kit but some super glue applied did the trick.

FuzzyBunny
September 25, 2013, 08:56 AM
Not to take away from his pain and suffering but.... Many folks version of gore differ alot! Have one friend who would pass out at the sight of one drop of blood and another that could walk in hip boots through it.

Must be me working as a rescue medic that changes my outlook. Torn up children do get to me more than adults.

Heal fast Sam.

Sam Cade
September 27, 2013, 04:47 PM
..just got another bill in the mail.
$1100 for 10 minutes of the doctors time. :fire:

So over $2000 for eight stitches. :eek:

hso
September 27, 2013, 11:00 PM
So over $2000 for eight stitches.

That'll teach you to be more careful!

Fred Fuller
September 28, 2013, 04:36 PM
Just glad it wasn't any worse...

Black Butte
September 29, 2013, 12:40 AM
..just got another bill in the mail.
$1100 for 10 minutes of the doctors time. :fire:

So over $2000 for eight stitches. :eek:

That's a new 1911 and a hunting rifle ... or more correctly ... would have been. Which gets me to thinking, what would you pick up if you had an extra $2000 laying around?

Sam Cade
September 29, 2013, 08:23 PM
Which gets me to thinking, what would you pick up if you had an extra $2000 laying around?
Knife stuff?

A 2x72" Bader to replace the 2x42" Craftsman that I just killed and a heat treat oven with the leftover funds.

:rolleyes:

I shall now take the antibiotics for my respiratory tract infection and collapse into a heap, exhausted from a day filled with funeral service. :(

Next week will be better.

RetiredUSNChief
October 1, 2013, 01:35 AM
Moved over to new thread-Sam Cade:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=9139374#post9139374

If you enjoyed reading about "Safety First: Attacked by an RTAK II: Gore Warning" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!