One Piece Cleaning Rod for Remmie

PDA

BSA1
September 9, 2013, 05:06 PM
That 8" barrel on my 1858 is just a little longer than my longest one piece cleaning rod. I know I can use two piece rods but I would prefer to have a single piece one for those long barrels.

Where can I find one long enough?

If you enjoyed reading about "One Piece Cleaning Rod for Remmie" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
swathdiver
September 9, 2013, 08:55 PM
I use the Treso Pistol Loading rod from Track of the Wolf. You can get the PL-5 or PL-6 for 10-32 threads or the ones with a built in jag with thread for attachments. The PL-6-45 was a little too big for our .44s, just simply sand it down until it no longer punches holes through patches.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Search.aspx?search=pistol%20loading%20rod

BSA1
September 9, 2013, 11:20 PM
Thank you.

vagunmonkey
September 9, 2013, 11:28 PM
S&S Firearms has a nice brass one with a cylinder jag on one end and bore jag on the other.

http://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SA142

44 Dave
September 9, 2013, 11:33 PM
I use the end section of an Outers .30 cal rod with a round knob epoxied on. With a brush or shot gun size plastic swab. Will do an 8 inch barrel quite fine.
My cleaning jag is a wood with a brass end antique, rifle length I only use at home.

zimmerstutzen
September 10, 2013, 12:13 PM
I purchased a bargain bin long shank phillips screw driver, used a die to chase threads on the end and then I put a thick brass nut of the same threads on a bolt and chucked it in the drill to spin it. I used a file to shape it and put grooves like a jag. Then I put the jag-nut on the end of the screw driver and ground off the excess that stuck below the nut. the handle was already fixed to it. I have done the same for several pistols. If you do the same with a piece of brass rod, you just have to mount a handle.

We have an industrial hardware surplus place at a Farmer's market not too far away. I can get such screw drivers, nuts, even wooden handles and ferules there for peanuts.

rcoolbaugh
September 10, 2013, 01:11 PM
I had this Hoppes kit for my M&P 40, the one piece rod is long enough for my 8" 1858 also.

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/cleaning-kits/rifle-cleaning-kits/38-357-handgun-cleaning-kit-sku699002038-25935-25300.aspx?mc_id=12000&ch=csh&gdftrk=gdfV21820_a_7c187_a_7c7313_a_7c699002038_d_699002038_d_21257

tpelle
September 10, 2013, 01:22 PM
I think this is the rod I have, and highly recommend it. I was going to reply to this thread and recommend the rod I have, but it is unmarked and I couldn't remember where I bought it!

Anyway, the one I have has a long metal rod on one end with a brass patch jag, and a short metal rod on the other end with another brass jag, with a knurled aluminum handle in between. The long rod is for the barrel and the short rod is for the cylinder bore. Works great!

Patrick R
September 10, 2013, 02:31 PM
Midway USA has a few to choose from $10-$33.

vagunmonkey
September 10, 2013, 04:35 PM
I think this is the rod I have, and highly recommend it. I was going to reply to this thread and recommend the rod I have, but it is unmarked and I couldn't remember where I bought it!

Anyway, the one I have has a long metal rod on one end with a brass patch jag, and a short metal rod on the other end with another brass jag, with a knurled aluminum handle in between. The long rod is for the barrel and the short rod is for the cylinder bore. Works great!
This is the one I mentioned above from s&s...

cp11
September 10, 2013, 11:12 PM
I use the Treso swivaling handle and 44cal brush in hot soapy water to clean mine.

If you enjoyed reading about "One Piece Cleaning Rod for Remmie" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!