Best pocket pistol or derringer?

PDA

Jedi_7.62
February 4, 2003, 11:02 AM
I've taken a new job where it is crucial my weapon is NOT noticeable.

I don't like .22's (other than a rifle for plinking)

Kel Tec p 32's seem popular
How reliable are they?

Open for ideas

If you enjoyed reading about "Best pocket pistol or derringer?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Chaz
February 4, 2003, 12:02 PM
I have a Keltec P32. It is very light and thin so it fits in the pocket well although it prints unless you have a pocket holster. I guess it is accurate enough for its size but definalty a point and shoot gun as the sights are terrible. Also it does not like to feed JHP's though some would say JHP's are a waste of ammo in such a short barrel/small caliber. There have been issues with some people in the past with reliablility but mine has had no problems after 500+ rounds. There is a Keltec forum board somewhere that could answer the reliablilty questions. Do a web search for it.

Though you dont like the .22 I often carry a NAA .22mag revolver when the "big dog" (Glock 21) is not appropriate. This little revolver dose not print half as much as the P32. It actually looks like a set of keys to me. NAA also has other small handguns that might appeal to you. Guardian 32 comes to mind.

Good luck in your search.

cratz2
February 4, 2003, 02:23 PM
P32 here also. Never a failure out of the three that I've shot. Thin, trim, light weight, easy to hide in a pocket. Several of the 32 ACP loads seem to expand pretty reliably, the Silvertips and Gold Dots and I'm sure the CorBons.

I feel pretty well armed with just the P32 when that is all I can have but I have a very low stress job and would only use it if I absolutely positively had to as I'm sure is true of most of us. At the same time, if I had a job where there was a real need of having to have a firearm on my person, I'd probably look to my beloved 1911 or if I couldn't conceal it well, a Glock 30, 19 or 26. Always bring enough gun and if you must have a gun, I'd consider a 9mm the minimum. If you want to have a gun, then chose your poison.

http://photos.imageevent.com/cratz2/guns//DCP_0936.jpg

sixgun_symphony
February 4, 2003, 05:05 PM
I like the Derringers myself.

You might like the DA 38 double action from American Derringer (http://amderringer.com/).
http://amderringer.com/pix/da38.jpg

It comes in .38 Special or .40 S&W chamberings.

DeltaElite
February 4, 2003, 05:05 PM
Smith J frame.
The Kel Tec is a neat gun, I own one, but I wouldn't trust my life to it.

22luvr
February 4, 2003, 08:10 PM
I carried mine for three years daily and it was never detected. I put about 1,000 rounds through it without a failure. It is probably the lightest, thinnest auto-loader ever made. It is priced reasonably and Kel-Tec will back their lifetime warranty.

GeorgeH
February 4, 2003, 09:51 PM
I have 2 NAA Guardians, one 32 and one 380. Also 3 Seecamps, two 32 and one 25. I have three deringers: HS 22, HS 22mag; and ADC 357 mag.

I carry the G380 daily.

Kahr carrier
February 4, 2003, 10:17 PM
Ditto 380 NAA Guardian ,32 Seecamp or Kahr K-9.:)

Kahr carrier
February 4, 2003, 10:17 PM
Ditto 380 NAA Guardian ,32 Seecamp or Kahr K-9.:)

DonGlock26
February 4, 2003, 10:59 PM
My P-32 has been flawless,accurate,and easy to CCW. It's better than a gun in the safe.

Kahr carrier
February 5, 2003, 12:25 AM
Whoops Double Tap.:neener:

happy old sailor
February 5, 2003, 01:28 AM
if and when a KelTec 380 becomes available to me, it will be my next pocket pistol, replacing the KT32. an easy hide in times of discretion.

Blackhawk
February 5, 2003, 01:33 AM
Chaz wrote:I have a Keltec P32. It is very light and thin so it fits in the pocket well although it prints unless you have a pocket holster. I guess it is accurate enough for its size but definalty a point and shoot gun as the sights are terrible. Also it does not like to feed JHP's though some would say JHP's are a waste of ammo in such a short barrel/small caliber. Don't carry any pocket gun without a holster. Just don't do it.

My favorite trick with my P-32 is a between the eyes shot from 50'. The sights are just fine if you'll take the trouble to learn to use them. The trick is a firm grip and good trigger control.

P-32s have no trouble at all with JHPs. The problem is potential rimlock from the rimmed .32 ACP case if the rounds are shorter than the magazine. Two solutions: use rounds that are long enough to prevent a rim from one round from engaging a groove of another one or use a magazine spacer that Kel Tec sells. My P-32 is on a steady diet of FMJs. No problems -- at all....

The Kel Tec Owners Group is at http://www.ktog.org

A KT P-3AT will be a companion to my P-32 when it's available.

ruger357
February 5, 2003, 06:47 AM
S&W J frame/Beretta Jetfire.

jim
February 5, 2003, 02:57 PM
high standard 22wmr

Kentucky Rifle
February 5, 2003, 03:25 PM
But the one I call "the best" is made by Larry Seecamp. I'm also fond of my Beretta Jetfire for it's complete reliability. S&W 331/332 snubbie series is nice for the 6 rounds they hold instead of 5. I keep one of those in a Galco Ankle Pocket. ("Nearly" everyday.)
11.9 ounces, plus the .32 H&R magnum has more energy and less recoil than a "non"
+P .38 Special. NAA Guardians are nice and RJ made me a "Back Pocket" holster that looks just like a wallet.
I own a nice looking P-32. Gray grip frame, hard chrome top end and a silver metal trigger shoe. Keep mine stoked with Fiocchi FMJ's. It's nice, but I've never gotten past the "carry lots~but shoot little" feeling. No offense meant to the P-32 owners who think that their little pistols are "the cat's..well, you know". :)

KR

Kentucky Rifle
February 5, 2003, 03:31 PM
Can you still buy those little High Standard .22 mags? I should have got one of those when I had the chance.

KR

sw442642
February 5, 2003, 05:33 PM
My user name says it all. I also have had some pocket 22s like the Taurus PT-22 - junk.

I keep some NAA minis for fun. Nice guns but the J's are the real deal.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best pocket pistol or derringer?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!