See thru rings

PDA

45Frank
September 10, 2013, 03:43 PM
I have rings mounted on a rail for my Marlin 336. I am or want to change them to see thru.
What is better the rail mounted see thru or the rings that mount right to the gun? I already have a rail mounted but removing it is no big deal.
Any comments or why you did it your way?

If you enjoyed reading about "See thru rings" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ColtPythonElite
September 10, 2013, 03:50 PM
See thru rings are the worst idea ever. The scope is too far away from the bore and the shooter generally has to hold his head off the stock to see thru the scope.

Haxby
September 10, 2013, 04:02 PM
As far as I know, nobody even tries to make good see-through rings. Leupold Rifleman see-throughs cost $15. Burris, Warne, Talley, etc. don't sell them at all.

jmr40
September 10, 2013, 04:21 PM
See through rings give you the worst of both systems. They are almost impossible to use with irons and they just make it harder to use the scope. Buy a quality scope and forget about irons. I've had more iron sights fail than quailty scopes over the years and if you stay with something low powered a scope is faster to use even at close range.

zxcvbob
September 10, 2013, 04:28 PM
I put them on my Marlin and hate them. Need to go back to just irons, or put on real rings. See-thru are the worst of both worlds.

45Frank
September 10, 2013, 06:22 PM
Consensus seems to be remove the rear sight and lower the scope as much as possible. :)
Thanks all!!!

Onward Allusion
September 10, 2013, 07:16 PM
Save your time and money. See thru rings raise the scope way too high. Either go iron or glass but not see-thru.

OpticsPlanet
September 11, 2013, 04:38 PM
Had an Uncle that called them "SEE? i THREW them away" rings.

Mark H.

Saakee
September 11, 2013, 06:09 PM
What about 45 degree iron sights? Do they make those for bolt guns?

YZ
September 11, 2013, 07:16 PM
Sounds like a complex solution, and probably a PITA to get zeroed. Jeff Cooper's idea of the scout rifle was, in part, to avoid such cumbersome all-range setups.

scbison
September 11, 2013, 08:02 PM
And if you still want some after all this pm me and ill send you a pair for the cost of shipping. I took a 336 in on trade and they came off as soon as I got home.

If you enjoyed reading about "See thru rings" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!