WOLF ammuniton

PDA

Kobun
March 23, 2004, 06:26 PM
This has been a topic many times, but some of the things I would like to know hasn't been answered.

Please be brief, and to the point.

[list=a]
In the US, is it Brass or Bimetal bullets that are imported?
What is your experience with the Bimetal bullets compared to the Brass ones if both are available.
What is your experience with WOLF's new Polymer Coating of the steel case?
Which has best accuracy; .223 62gr HP or 62gr FMJ?
Does the .40S&W (and .45ACP and 9x19) feed reliably in your gun, and is it accurate?
[/list=a]

Tnx

If you enjoyed reading about "WOLF ammuniton" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bountyhunter
March 23, 2004, 07:18 PM
You need to include a selection to vote for that says:

Would never ALLOW it to go near my gun.

Cacique500
March 23, 2004, 07:30 PM
I liked the 'old' green Wolf for my com-bloc's...I like the new 'grey' stuff even better...

Beetle Bailey
March 23, 2004, 07:38 PM
I voted "Good for plinking." Quality varies by caliber IME.

.22lr ammo is very accurate and reliable.

7.62x39 is copper jacketed and worked reliably in my SKS (both the old laquer case and the new purple case). However the accuracy just isn't there.

7.62x54r comes in both copper jacket and bimetal jacket and I haven't noticed a functional difference between them. Reliability is there but accuracy is only fair IMHO. I can group with it, but I like the surplus Czech ammo better.

With the exception of the .22lr which I think is terrific, I only shoot Wolf ammo in Com-bloc or Com-bloc style guns (SKS and Mosin Nagant). I might try some Wolf ammo in my Bulgarian Makarov just to see. . .(currently using Barnaul).

BTW, forgot to add: I prefer copper jacket to bimetal since I haven't seen a difference and many shooting ranges in my area don't allow bimetal bullets. HTH.

Soap
March 23, 2004, 07:44 PM
I love Wolf in commie-designed guns. I use it all the time in my Makarov and AK. But for non-commie guns, I use other stuff.

Mulliga
March 23, 2004, 07:48 PM
Works just fine in all my com-bloc guns (Yugo SKS, WASR-10). Not the most accurate stuff in the world, but nice hard primers and decently reliable stuff overall.

March 23, 2004, 08:08 PM
I checked "Only good for plinking" although it would be fine for certain matches but certainly not a formal NRA Highpower match or a benchrest match. It would be fine for action type matches. Wolf isn't the most accurate ammo I have tried, but it is good enough for most of my purposes.

Ric
March 23, 2004, 08:29 PM
It doesn't want to feed in my Officers 1991, but shoots just fine in my Springfield full size

Kobun
March 23, 2004, 08:29 PM
I should have mentioned that when I said match, I ment IPSC type shooting. Fast and fairly accurate.

How do you rate the .223?

The reason I ask is that I am about to order a container full of the stuff.
Nice to have some feedback when your getting close to a million rounds delivered. :)

In .223, do you use:
-55 or 62gr?
-FMJ or HP?
-Bimetal or Copper bullets?

March 23, 2004, 08:40 PM
For action type matches it would be fine for me.
I have fired in excess of 8000 rounds of Wolf in .223 and continue to buy it by the case or two cases at a time. I used it in a four day formal class last year and shot a distinguished graduate score and won the man on man shoot off with it. The end of class test was out to 200 meters. I also hit a pepper popper 6 out of 8 times from prone at 400 meters using Wolf in the same class.

Dave Markowitz
March 23, 2004, 08:50 PM
I use Wolf 7.62x39 in my AK and SKS. I've run some 5.56 through my Mini-14 and it worked OK there, too. This past Sunday I ran 50 rounds of Wolf .45 ACP through my Springfield M1911A1 without a hitch.

Wolf's accuracy is nothing to get excited about, but it's good enough for close range shooting, it's cheap and it functions fine in my guns.

KaceCoyote
March 23, 2004, 09:33 PM
I'd be concerned with wolf in an AR or similar. The AK eats anything, and the Mini-14 and such arent much different in that respect. Most AR-15s I've seen take a good while to clean up. AK burns -FILTHY- I watched a thousand rounds burry my friend's M96 in gook. Went through an entire can've break free and four or five pack've swabs. It smells..off too but that could just be me. It smells like a nasty fart.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
March 24, 2004, 12:43 AM
I shoot a lot of it in my M44; my brother shoots it all the time in his SKS.

Those are the only rifles it sees in my family.
Kind of like only eating food you were raised on.

Regards,
Rabbit.

BowStreetRunner
March 24, 2004, 01:02 AM
works great in my Makarov and my SKS
BSR

clipse
March 24, 2004, 09:22 AM
I vote:

I would never let it close to my pistols. But my SKS loves it, and i love its price.

clipse

shooter1
March 24, 2004, 09:34 AM
I was unaware Wolf had changed the coating from laquer to polymer. Still I'll save it for my com block rifles and keep it away from my pistols and ARs!
str1

Kinsman
March 24, 2004, 10:09 AM
5.56 works well in my Mini-14 for plinking; I use milsurp in my M1a.
.45 ACP did not feed reliably in my P90 plus you can't reload the stuff.

OEF_VET
March 24, 2004, 10:23 AM
I use Wolf in ComBloc guns exclusively.

entropy
March 24, 2004, 11:13 AM
It shoots OK out of my M38 Mosin, not as accurate as Czech, nor as cheap. I shoot some out of my handi-rifle in .223, but I'd be wary of it out of a semi-auto. I get far too many stovepipes in 9mm when I shoot it out of my Kel-tec SUB2000, and Winchester White box is about the same price($10.96/100 at Wally World) and reloadable to boot. Did I mention Dirty! Well, it is! Still, I find myself buying it when I can't get Czech 7.62x54R.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=891017

MoNsTeR
March 24, 2004, 11:23 AM
or...
[X] Only for commie guns

Dorrin79
March 24, 2004, 11:52 AM
commie ammo is fine (maybe even preferable :uhoh: !) for commie guns.

I'm hesitant to use it in my non-commie firearms.

AJ Dual
March 24, 2004, 12:08 PM
It's a great value for what it is.

I don't hesitate to buy it by the case for my commie guns...

I do hesitate to use it as cheap plinking fodder in my American pieces. But just long enough to buy a box or two for testing before I commit to a case.

My Colt Match Target and my buddies Bushmaster, both with 5.56 NATO chambers, not SAMMI .223 chambers, refuse to cycle Wolf automaticaly, but fire fine on the first hand-cycled round. Whether it's a chamber issue, or a mag issue is uncertain. He made the mistake of investing in an entire case before we found that out, but no biggie, he sold the remaining 987 rounds to someone with a .223 SAR-3 AK and it ate it up.

Wolf 9mm runs great in my Glocks, and in my Kel-Tec Sub9. As to "steel cases being hard on guns" it's a misnomer to some degree as steel can be made in many different hardnesses, and to replicate the ductility of brass to swell when fired and seal the chamber, steel in steel cased ammo is very soft. I can pinch the mouths of spent Wolf just as easy, if not easier than brass ammo. There may be steel on steel galling issues with extractors eventually, but any accelerated wear is by my guess, more of a metal incompatibility under friction than "steel being too tough".

If it's an SKS or AK, no worries at all, and the .22 is actually German IIRC. If it's an American or European gun, test it first. Otherwise no worries as blasting ammo IMO.

lee n. field
March 24, 2004, 12:18 PM
There should be a "ten foot pole" (that's 3 meters for you non-UnitedState-ians) option, at least for some guns. I broke an extractor with some Wolf .223, and won't use it again.

Bigjake
March 24, 2004, 12:41 PM
My beretta 92 likes the stuff, no malfucntions as of yet and i've shot over 1000 rnds of the stuff.

Poodleshooter
March 24, 2004, 01:05 PM
A. Both are imported, as are loose Bi-metal bullets from the Wolf/Barnaul arsenals at Tula and Ulyanovsk. I see about 90%/10% bi-metal vs.copper.
B. I only use the bi-metal. That's what chrome bores and barrels are for.
C. THe polymer coating sounds interesting. I will buy some if it doesn't run for a premium.
D. HP will generally be more accurate if the bullet is drawn from the bottom, and not simply a cut off FMJ. Check the base to find out. I can't comment on personal experience, as I have had failures with Wolf .223 and don't use it in my Colt HBAR. Just last week, I attempted to shoot the last two rounds I owned. 1 fired fine, the other wedged in the chamber and had to be driven out with a cleaning rod. It appeared to be improperly sized. I only use the 7.62x39 which has performed flawlessly in my AK.
E. See D. I don't use the Wolf pistol ammo,as I can reload lead bullets for a fraction of the cost. It is generally reliable according to experiences of friends at my local club.

PATH
March 24, 2004, 01:17 PM
Commie ammo for commie guns. Plink with the SKS, Ak, and Nagant. It smells bad and seems to dirty up the rifles. It is cheap enough for plinking.

Brad Johnson
March 24, 2004, 02:44 PM
I thought the we had all agreed that the next person who brought up Wolf ammo (again) would be sentenced to hand-washing the jock straps of randomly selected NFL teams. For life. :what:

Give it a rest, already. We've only gone over this about a zillion times.

Brad

Kobun
March 24, 2004, 05:29 PM
AJ Dual,
good to hear about the 9mm, and about the (eeh...) brass. ;)

lee n. field,
I do know what a foot is. We all have two of them you know. :D

Poodleshooter,
tnx for the info about bimetal.
You mention chrome lined barrels. Would non chromed barrels have any problems?

PATH,
We use eye protection when shooting, and ear protection. Maby a nose protector would be the thing to have. :p

Brad Johnson,
I did not agree on the jock straps... Try to make me if you dare! ;)
And, I'm not talking about buying a case or two.
I'm about to buy ammo for over $50,000 so that is why I ask the people I know that has hands on experience with Wolf. :)

Gewehr98
March 24, 2004, 06:16 PM
But the Wolf Match and Match Extra rimfire? Woo-hoo! There's a rumor that Federal scaled back production of their match rimfire ammo, it was no longer competitive against the cheaper Wolf stuff, which shoots every bit as well. I've got a few bricks of the stuff, and from my FrankenRuger 10/22, it's very good at producing one-hole 50-yard groups inside 1/2 MOA. Then again, the Wolf rimfire isn't made at the same place as the steel-cased centerfire stuff they pass for ammo. ;)

Jake
March 24, 2004, 06:17 PM
Plinking ammo for the Russian guns in the collection only.

rayra
March 24, 2004, 07:12 PM
Left out a poll choice in the middle, "Works perfectly in the weapons it was originally intended for - CommBloc battle rifles"

No point in voting in a poll whose choices only reflect 'match ammo' & 'crap'

riverdog
March 24, 2004, 08:31 PM
Since the range I shoot at won't allow Wolf ammo on the range, it isn't even good for plinking. I won't use the stuff. After spending a lot of good money buying some nice handguns, I'll stick to quality brass cases and copper jacketed lead bullets (Fiocchi, PMC, S&B) for plinking. I won't even shoot Wolf in my Mak.

minnesota oldie
March 24, 2004, 11:15 PM
$50,000.00 worth of Wolf? That's almost as much as I have in the basement. I shoot it in 9mm. .45, and 40S&W and I love it, especially the price. I have had as many problems with WWbox as I have had with wolf. :)

duckfoot
March 25, 2004, 12:01 AM
Just ran about 200 (wolf "gray") rounds today through a RRA CAR A2 middie. No problems, not super accurate but good enough for 3 gun matches. Good cheap ammo. I like the gray cases better than the lacquered green ones thou. Smells kinda funny too.:D

If you enjoyed reading about "WOLF ammuniton" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!