Girsan questions

PDA

Rittmeister
September 15, 2013, 02:45 PM
So, I just picked up a Girsan 1911 used on the local market. I hope to shoot it this week but already have questions.

-Anyone changed the sights yet? The rear is a no-snag sort of thing with dots that I'd probably leave alone but the front has no matching dot and is instead a serrated ramp. I really want a dot to match the rear, so I'm wondering about the dovetail and whether it's an easy swap or if I'll have to have a different dovetail cut for the front.

-I know the grip screws and/or bushings are non-standard; can anyone link me to what I need to change them to?

Otherwise the thing looks good. Slide-to-frame and bushing/barrel fit seem good, trigger pull is OK but might need some tweaking. I got the railed model which will see range and bedside duty with a light and 10-round mag.

If you enjoyed reading about "Girsan questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rittmeister
September 17, 2013, 11:17 PM
Um, please? :D

Rittmeister
September 18, 2013, 07:59 PM
Got to the range today. This front sight has to go; not only is it dot-less, but it's too tall. I'm shooting about 6" low at 10 yards.

Now hoping someone might be able to tell me whether the dovetail for the front sight is a standard size, or whether I might just need to replace front and rear with my preferred Novaks and be done with it.

Other than that, it runs great. Groups well (just in the wrong place) and fed everything without a jam. I'm pretty pleased.

Mooseman
September 19, 2013, 11:50 AM
I'm not familiar with the Girsan 1911 but would it be possible to put your own dot on the front site a bit below the top of the site to bring you to point of aim?

Mooseman
September 19, 2013, 12:01 PM
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CEQQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.firearmstalk.com%2Fforums%2Ff57%2Fupdate-girsan-night-sights-88112%2F&ei=_h07UoKEEPSl4AOjyoCYBw&usg=AFQjCNHvgdeRTs3lbnKH5IwTs69lklsvNQ&sig2=xhw3zU8hJkRA-grk4BnOPA&bvm=bv.52288139,d.dmg&cad=rja

Here is a post from another site that seems to have the info your looking for, good luck.

Hurryin' Hoosier
September 19, 2013, 02:22 PM
Um, please? :D
All I had to do was see "please?" and I knew you were from Cincinnati. ;)

Rittmeister
September 19, 2013, 04:21 PM
Hoosier - "All I had to do was see "please?" and I knew you were from Cincinnati."

I only live here. I'm from Lancaster PA ;) I say "please" when I'm making a request; the weirdos who are actually from here say "please" when they want you to repeat yourself.

Mooseman, I did a lot of searching but didn't run across that link, I'll check it out. Thanks!

Rittmeister
January 22, 2014, 11:59 PM
Dragging this back up.

I've had this gun out a few more times and it's a good 'un, but doesn't really fill any role that my Kimber can't also deal with.

Thus, I'm thinking of moving it on. I have a possible trade in mind for a CZ P07, another gun I've been wanting for a while. Does it sound equitable to trade my Girsan Sport with all factory stuff (mag, box, cleaning rods, etc) plus $100 for a P07 9mm with two mags, factory box/accessories and a CZ tac light? The CZ is late enough to have no frame bulge and drop-free mags.

Seems like a square deal to me. Thoughts?

callenlee
January 23, 2014, 12:14 AM
Hoosier - "All I had to do was see "please?" and I knew you were from Cincinnati."

I only live here. I'm from Lancaster PA ;) I say "please" when I'm making a request; the weirdos who are actually from here say "please" when they want you to repeat yourself.

Mooseman, I did a lot of searching but didn't run across that link, I'll check it out. Thanks!
Ha! I grew up in Cincy and never thought about the "please" thing until I went to school out of state. First time I said it the people I was with all said "you're from Cincinnati aren't you?" like they had rehearsed it.

Okiegunner
January 23, 2014, 12:15 AM
Just my thoughts...

Girsan makes some really fine handguns at very reduced prices. Their reversed engineered Beretta 92 platforms are damn near perfect Beretta copies.

If you enjoyed reading about "Girsan questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!