Shooting older/older style rifles

PDA

goon
September 15, 2013, 05:03 PM
I'm just wondering if shooters of the past used a different stance than we use now. I've found in handling many older guns, such as Henrys and Winchesters, that they have a lot of drop. Something like a Henry Yellow Boy .22 has way too much drop for me - I end up looking at the back of the hammer instead of looking down the sights.

Did shooters in bygone era have a different style of shooting that worked well with these guns? Or did they just have longer necks and fatter heads?

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting older/older style rifles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
YZ
September 15, 2013, 05:48 PM
Just to be clear. Are you saying modern lever action rifles have less drop than the older ones?

BCRider
September 16, 2013, 01:46 PM
I think that they tended to keep their neck more upright instead of dropping their head and cheek onto the comb.

I shoot a pretty wide variety of rifles from a flinter to AR's. I find that with the flinter and some other old style stocks with the pronounced hook that the rifle prefers to be hooked onto the upper bicep area right by the arm pit. When held that way I use a much more pronounced sideways stance. This stance does not really lend itself to dropping the head down onto the comb in the same way as with a more frontal AR/combat style hold. It simply feels "more righter" to hold the rifle with the head up. And when held that way the longer drop works out better.

Which, of course, makes shooting a Golden Boy from bags rather tough. But try it free standing with a more side on stance with neck turned and head held up more and I think you'll agree that it fits fine that way.

PonyKiller
September 16, 2013, 10:06 PM
I think bc hit it in the sense that they were intended to be shot from a standing/offhand position. When the win 94 was designed with the signature straight stock there were no shooting sticks, climbing treestands or bipods. You either climbed a tree, leaned against it or hid behind it.:) It's virtually impossible to fire from the prone position, and it feels more like a shotgun than a modern rifle to me when shouldered.

788Ham
September 17, 2013, 12:52 AM
If you shoot it RT handed, move your LFT hand further out on the fore end of the rifle, that will help hold the front end up, allowing you to see the front sight. That rifle can't be that heavy!

YZ
September 17, 2013, 02:03 AM
I think OP confused the shooters and the rifles. It is not bygone vs today, it is (mostly) lever action vs bolt action (or semi-auto).

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting older/older style rifles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!