My verdict on the quick charge tubes

PDA

BowerR64
September 17, 2013, 03:37 AM
I ordered a few things from dixie a few weeks ago and i finally got around to messing with them.

Dixie is out of stock on the 44-50 cal "pistol" charge tubes they have plenty of the .36-40 (white ones) but the larger (yellow) ones for .44 pistol were out of stock. Another member on here said they have been out of stock for quite some time.

I noticed when searching and reading about them they have these longer ones for ".44-50 cal" but for rifle. I just wanted to try some so i got 20 of the longer rifle version. The pistol are packaged in 50 the rifle in 20 both $9.99 each

They had 2 packages of the rifle but when i received them they said they only had 1 left so i guess im waiting on the second package.

My plan was to cut the longer ones down when i measured up a normal load and a for some strange reason i wanted a 50 grain then i marked and cut 12 of them where 50 grains and a ball would fit. This was close to half the length.

I loaded up 12 of them and they seem to fit good and seem easy to pinch the ball out without spilling any powder or making a mess.

If you look in the images i have several things layed out. The stock yellow "rifle" tube, next to it a cut down tube and standing up a cut tube with a 44mag shell pushed into the cut tube. I think these will work well also, the 44mag shell seals one side and adds a little weight so it stands up on its own! this helps for loading and could be better for transporting in a little reloading case

I tried loading a 44 cal into the .36 and it works for the normal T7 loads i normally shoot. A level 40S&W shell which ive read is about 20 grains. The ball fits kinda tight packing the powder in a little but the plus side is this smaller size tube fits perfect in my .44 mag reloading box.

Im going to try them tomorrow, i loaded up some .36 and some .44 in differnet loads (orange ring is T7) wich is slightly hotter.

After cutting the longer yellow rifle tubes and fitting the .44 mag shell into the bottom ide bet some one could find some rubber hose at a hardware store and dig up some .44 mag shells from a local range and just make these with the spent .44 mag shels and hardware store tubing.

Ill report back tomorrow after i try em on both my guns.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=189006&stc=1&d=1379403431

If you enjoyed reading about "My verdict on the quick charge tubes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BowerR64
September 17, 2013, 05:34 AM
See if i can get away with just taking this to the range and leaving my tools in the car.

This would be nice if i could pull it off.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=189008&stc=1&d=1379410436

whughett
September 17, 2013, 03:50 PM
Ain't this a hoot, can't figure out what is more fun, shooting these things or messing around with all the stuff to shoot these things.
And you my friend are having a ball.............;)

BowerR64
September 17, 2013, 03:58 PM
It is alot of fun isnt it? Its nice that i have a place to shoot just about 5 miles away also. That makes it even better!

whughett
September 17, 2013, 04:23 PM
Yes that is a lot closer than I have.
Jump over to General Gun Discussions and take a look at "plastikosmd" personal range.
Just step out the back door.

BowerR64
September 18, 2013, 12:55 AM
Well so far this is the fastest ive loaded and shot. Before i could load in the first 15 minute session and then i had to wait to put on the percussion caps and shoot till the second round. I got in about 6 shots about every 30 minutes.

With these it cut my time in half. I got in 6 shots each 15 minute session. It took me about 10-12 minutes to load apply the butter and caps then it left me just enough time to shoot them before they called the 1 minute warning.

I got in 18 shots with the .36 and 12 with the .44

The brass trigger .44 (B) is setup pretty good at 15 yards. The silver trigger guard is still a little high for 15 yards.

The .36 is also setup a little low. I didnt hit the paper the first and second round. The last round i aimed just above the target and i was able to get it in the bull on a few of them.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=189048&stc=1&d=1379480095

last 2 rounds with the colt .36 i shot at the black X

Pancho
September 18, 2013, 10:09 AM
If the tubes had a lid and the ball could be easily squeezed from the tube one could load ball first powder second then the load could be presented in the order it was needed.

rodwha
September 18, 2013, 11:03 AM
I'd be happy that I didn't need to carry a powder flask and measure.

And it still speeds the loading process at the range.

Loading is what seems to turn the few people I've taken with me to the range off.

BowerR64
September 18, 2013, 11:43 PM
I like this setup alot.

I shot them again today with better lighting and i did alot better with them the second time.

There is 2 things about them that i like most. 1 i dont have to take any more measuring stuff, 2 the empty tubes help you count. Once you lay the empty tube down if you get stopped you know how many chambers you have filled.

These still arnt good for anyone who uses filler but ive found the filler didnt help me anyway.

Phantom Captain
September 19, 2013, 07:12 AM
May I say, "I told you so"?

Haha!! Like I said previously, have been using them for years for my .36s. .44s, .58 minies and .69 smoothbores. I also have some .54s set up in the long red "hunting" tubes for my Hawken. They really are nice to have.

I don't use filler but do use my homemade wads, it's just one more simple step as I don't put the wad in the tube, obviously. Pour powder, place wad, then ball, presto.

Glad you are digging them. I've tried to push them on others for years as they have worked so well for me. I have two ammo crates that carry all my pre-loads now. I should take a picture. I have one box that holds all my pre-loaded pistol rounds and another (it's an actual repro Civil War ammo crate) that holds all my .58 minie ball loads. I don't measure anything at the range anymore unless I'm shooting flinters. :)

BowerR64
September 19, 2013, 02:52 PM
The last thing i need is a little stand. That would speed things up a little more because i could use both hands to load and wouldnt have to keep setting it down.

kwhi43@kc.rr.com
September 19, 2013, 04:01 PM
We shoot the timed fire revolver matches at Friendship. They are 10 min. For
10 shots. I shot this many a year just loading one chamber and shooting that
One then loading that same chamber for all 10 shots. I was a hurrin.

BowerR64
September 20, 2013, 03:53 AM
We shoot the timed fire revolver matches at Friendship. They are 10 min. For
10 shots. I shot this many a year just loading one chamber and shooting that
One then loading that same chamber for all 10 shots. I was a hurrin.
wow thats fast.

What is your loading method?

Got any pictures of your setup?

Ide be a little scared to do that actually. Im a little hesatant to shoot the same gun after 6 shots because i want it to cool before i dump more powder back into a hot gun

BowerR64
September 24, 2013, 04:22 PM
Second outing with the tubes, im getting better. Now i can focus more on my impact points rather then my loading technique.

Ive yet to need any tools using these i still bring them just incase but im about ready to slim down my gear to just what im using now.

Wich i could find some more, ide like to load up like 50 of them and not have to do anything the night before. 50 would be about 3-4 range sessions.

RandyRay41
September 24, 2013, 07:57 PM
Bower what is the inside diameter of your tubes? How soft is the rubber?

Mike OTDP
September 24, 2013, 10:46 PM
I'm not Phil, but I know how I'd get off 10 shots in 10 minutes with one chamber.

Use pre-measured charges. Possibly pre-measured filler. Possibly a capper. Then do NOT use a loading press or similar gimcrack. Hold the revolver in your left hand, put on half-cock. Pour powder and filler into the chamber. Put bullet on top. Cock revolver to bring chamber under rammer. Ram home. Dab lube on top of bullet, cap. Fire. Don't bother scoping more than the first shot...reload.

I can get 6 chambers loaded in about 5 minutes, it's not that terribly hard. It just takes practice.

BowerR64
September 25, 2013, 03:43 AM
Bower what is the inside diameter of your tubes? How soft is the rubber?
These are the tubes

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=7713

I bought these because they were out of the pistol versions

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=7717

They are just small enough to fit around the ball and hold it in and keep the powder sealed but not tight enough to make it to hard to get the ball out.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=189325&stc=1&d=1380095952

I pinch the tube between the powder and the ball and it pushes the ball right out. I then and pinch the tube slightly so that when pouring it into the chambers it makes a little spout so it pours out right where i want.

RandyRay41
September 25, 2013, 01:07 PM
I did a little research on tubing. If I see your calipers correctly the ID is .375. This tubing can be found at:

http://www.freelin-wade.com/

Since I am not an expert on tubing, have not figured out the exact type needed. Maybe I should just give them a call and see what the suggestion is.

BowerR64
September 25, 2013, 01:32 PM
I think they are made of nylon.

That site seems to use a simmilar thickness in their nylon tubing.

Would be cool if you could get red and green. Say load up pyrodex 20 grain in the green (light load) and then in the red use 20 grains of T7 (hotter load)

seperate the 2 by color so its easy to see

Using the tubes you would need a way to cap one end. Ide prefer to use somethign other then a .44 shell. Not as many of those around to pickup where i shoot. 40 S&W and 45acp there is plenty of those laying around.

Ill have to see wich fits best in my tubes

RandyRay41
September 25, 2013, 01:36 PM
I bet an end cap for either pvc or cpvc will work.

The only problem with different colors is having to purchase X amount of feet of each. Looks like 100 ft rolls. That will make a lot of powder holders!!!

Or there may even be end caps available for nylon. I need to do some more research.

BowerR64
September 25, 2013, 02:48 PM
yeah thats the only problem with that place the minimum order is $70. ?

I did see something about "VARIATION: Cutting" but it doesnt help much on the pricing.

rodwha
September 26, 2013, 12:45 PM
His calipers read .438".

BowerR64
September 26, 2013, 01:12 PM
Yes and that is a .454 ball that i have in them.

tembotusk
September 29, 2013, 07:25 PM
Bring a lead ball to Home Depot or Lowes and test fit the clear tubing they have in rolls until you find the one that fits just right. Buy a few feet and cut to length.

A dab of silicone or a small cork at one end and you are good to go.

BowerR64
September 29, 2013, 07:32 PM
or an empty shell, ill test a few that i have and see how they work. Ide bet a 40s&w or a 45 auto shell would fit and give it a good flat spot to sit them up on for loading.

tembotusk
September 30, 2013, 08:15 PM
A couple of pictures of my 36 cal setup. The clear tubing is from Home Depot, size 5/16 ID. It came in a 20 foot length for about $5.50.

I used a 36cal ball painted blue as a plug; pushed in just far enough for the vinyl to close over the ball. The tube is cut to a 1.75" length and will hold 20 gr of black powder. The ball used for shooting is pushed in just far enough to hold in place and as stated in other posts, can be pinched out when ready for use.

rodwha
September 30, 2013, 11:27 PM
I must admit to being curious whether or not anyone has tried 7/16 tubing for a .457" ball. I'm wondering how well a .4375" ID tubing would work.

BowerR64
October 1, 2013, 12:00 AM
I like the idea of being able to see the powder.

Those look pretty cool

BowerR64
October 11, 2013, 02:32 PM
When i ordered my last set of the charge tubes from dixie it said they had 2 packages of the "rifle hunting tubes" these are the longer ones.

I ordered 2 but they only sent me 1 i called and they said they must of sold out right when i placed my order.

Today i got the second set of 20 and they show on the website they have them instock again.

Weird they dont have the .44 pistol but now have the longer rifle version.

Rifle is pkg of 20 for $9.99 pistol is a pkg of 50 for $9.99

I cut the rifle in half and use both ends anyway.

jimnbubba
October 11, 2013, 03:58 PM
I had about 6 old nose inhalers lying around,cut the inside tube off and had me 6 powder tubes,carry round balls in my pocket !!

BowerR64
October 11, 2013, 10:17 PM
What do those look like?

BowerR64
October 16, 2013, 01:29 AM
Happyness is PRELOADS! :neener:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=190028&stc=1&d=1381901334

kwhi43@kc.rr.com
October 16, 2013, 02:01 AM
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o127/prizzel/0003-2.jpg

BowerR64
October 16, 2013, 03:15 AM
Those are cool too.

I forgot where you said you got those.

BowerR64
November 2, 2013, 11:45 AM
I have mine marked, 19g swiss, T7, and 26g T7 (hot)

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=190702&stc=1&d=1383407123

Rattus58
November 2, 2013, 01:07 PM
yeah thats the only problem with that place the minimum order is $70. ?

I did see something about "VARIATION: Cutting" but it doesnt help much on the pricing.
http://www.outdoorgearbarn.com/images/product/large/35798.jpg

These are the "type" of speed loaders I use except mine are 58 caliber (black) and hold all comfortably. I separate powder and ball with folded paper towel and works great... and quickly. The one I have also has a cap holder.. and ted cash for me is superior to that... :D :cool:

rodwha
November 2, 2013, 01:48 PM
I have a set of 3 like that for my .50 cal rifle, but I'd like those speed loader tubes Bower has for my pistol.

If you enjoyed reading about "My verdict on the quick charge tubes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!