Gelatin tests: 10mm 200 gr Gold Dot, 175 gr Silvertip, Underwood 165 gr Gol

PDA

chopinbloc
September 18, 2013, 03:36 PM
Tlw7A2pFR4I

c_at-gHYVmk

sHYEhGlw87M

Otw3GyNxPyU

If you enjoyed reading about "Gelatin tests: 10mm 200 gr Gold Dot, 175 gr Silvertip, Underwood 165 gr Gol" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
osteodoc08
September 18, 2013, 03:42 PM
Thank you for the data points. Your work is appreciated

tommy.duncan
September 18, 2013, 04:03 PM
Nice post. Great info. Which pistol did you test with?

chopinbloc
September 18, 2013, 04:06 PM
Thanks for watching. Pistol was EAA Witness 4.5" barrel.

K1500
September 18, 2013, 06:46 PM
Did you find that Silvertip round buried in the mud at the range? That's a ton of tarnish on it.

chopinbloc
September 18, 2013, 06:49 PM
I thought the same thing. It was from a member at 10mm-firearms.com.

calaverasslim
September 18, 2013, 07:06 PM
Interesting. What became of the Nugent GD when you fired it?

chopinbloc
September 18, 2013, 08:06 PM
It curved sharply upward and exited the block. I have another I can test some other day. I think we have enough data on 10mm Gold Dots that we can make reasonable predictions on what to expect. I think that Nugent load probably would have gone to 14"-16" and shown excellent expansion and weight retention.

Nomad
September 18, 2013, 10:10 PM
I've always carried the Silvertips when I use factory fodder. I may want to rethink my load. Good information. Thanks.

orionengnr
September 18, 2013, 10:37 PM
Yep, I have a bunch of the SilverTip too, but in all honesty, it is a 20-25 year old bullet design. I know there is better stuff out there, and that is why I appreciate threads like this.

I've tried the Buff Bore several years ago, but now they are using the crap Montana Gold bullets...I'm not paying $40 for 20 rounds of that.

Georgia Arms and Underwood make some good 10mm ammo, but until I can find it locally and put a bunch of it through my pistol, I guess I'll be okay with the ST. :)

Thanks again.

Shawn Dodson
September 19, 2013, 07:48 AM
I've always carried the Silvertips when I use factory fodder. I may want to rethink my load.

Just curious - what's causing you to rethink your choice of Silvertip?

chopinbloc
September 19, 2013, 11:54 AM
The Silvertip showed perfectly adequate results. Good penetration and expansion and, although the weight retention wasn't perfect, it was very high. The not-exactly-nookular power level is a positive thing for defense, I think. Remember that pistol cartridges don't produce enough TSC for it to be a significant wounding factor. The only things important to pistol wounding are penetration and expansion.

The MT Gold bullet may not be a premium bonded defense bullet but I think it performed adequately in my own admittedly unscientific tests. I think 10mm velocity makes up for shortcomings in bullet design to some extent.

a_m1hgY5-sc

I5KYnxDsEII

If you enjoyed reading about "Gelatin tests: 10mm 200 gr Gold Dot, 175 gr Silvertip, Underwood 165 gr Gol" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!