Which is the worst .45 pistol ever made in your opinion?

PDA

el Godfather
September 19, 2013, 05:23 PM
Dear THR:
Which is the worst .45 pistol ever made in your opinion? What did you find wrong with it?

I am at loss to name one that I really did not like.

Will read up on your responses and may be my mind will clear to which one is that sour lemon.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Which is the worst .45 pistol ever made in your opinion?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jack p
September 19, 2013, 05:29 PM
Llama 1911, I can't list all the ways its lacking. Maybe I'm just comparing it to every other 1911 on earth but it's horribly inaccurate, fails to eject, and feeds lousy. But that could just be the three that I've fired in my life.

Dain Bramage
September 19, 2013, 06:10 PM
Liberator.

Dain Bramage
September 19, 2013, 06:15 PM
Not to say it isn't creatively designed to an absurdly low price-point, but for a "throw it out the plane to the enslaved peoples" gun, I'd rather go up an order of magnitude in cost and get a Sten.

Trunk Monkey
September 19, 2013, 06:16 PM
Not happpy with the Llama but if Jimenez makes a .45 that has to be the worst. The Liberator functioned well for what it was

Dain Bramage
September 19, 2013, 06:30 PM
OP didn't specify function as the sole criterion. And even then, nobody has probably fired enough Liberators to set a function baseline.

It was bad in several other categories, incuding build quality, ergonomics, and reloading procedure.

98C5
September 19, 2013, 06:37 PM
AMT Hardballer.

1madss
September 19, 2013, 07:29 PM
I've got to agree with the folks on the Llama. I had one in the 80's that jammed every single magazine. At least I had lots on practice clearing jams :)

Quentin
September 19, 2013, 08:04 PM
Maybe I'm too forgiving but I've liked most I've fired and had good luck reliability-wise with my 45s, including a Llama MiniMax II. Also, Star PD, Colt and a worn 1950s Argentine Ballaster Molina.

Got the BM in non-reliable condition for $50 thirty years ago and a Colt recoil spring was all it needed. That thing slopped around and rattled but would hold 2.5" at 25 yards! I'd still have it but a buddy borrowed it and I never got it back.

Dry firing the Star broke the firing pin but I got one fabricated that works well. No issues with the Colt other than normal replacement parts.

snapshot762
September 19, 2013, 08:05 PM
For me it has to be the Llama 1911 as well. Had a compact, Minimax model if i remember right, and it jammed worse than any other gun i have seen, not bad accuracy when it shot but seemed to jam more often than not! Didn't keep it around long.

I have shot one of the older Llamas don't remember the model but it was one of the sweetest little shooting .22 autos that i have shot, totally reliable and very accurate!

greenlion
September 19, 2013, 08:11 PM
The 1911. :D

The Lone Haranguer
September 19, 2013, 08:12 PM
In the mid 1990s I had a Taurus PT945 that was a total POS.

Blue Brick
September 19, 2013, 08:35 PM
Good news... no Hi point on this list yet.

outerlimit
September 19, 2013, 10:22 PM
Might make a top five ugliest list though.. Or a, I didn't have to shoot the bad guy because he died laughing category.

jimbo555
September 19, 2013, 10:40 PM
Any pistol that launches 45acp bullets can't be all bad. But the colt double eagles were pretty bad in my opinion.

JERRY
September 19, 2013, 11:00 PM
1988 purchased new Thompson A/O 1911.

Mooseman
September 20, 2013, 01:17 AM
The Cobray 45 colt/ 410 single shot derringer is both ugly and crude.

JimC
September 20, 2013, 07:33 AM
AMT Hardballer.

+100

HOOfan_1
September 20, 2013, 09:04 AM
My dad bought a Llama 1911 back in the 1960s.

Tens of thousands of rounds later it is still going with all the original parts, magazines included. Most accurate autoloader we have too.

http://i39.tinypic.com/34ypdub.jpg

rbernie
September 20, 2013, 09:18 AM
AMT.

jmr40
September 20, 2013, 09:25 AM
The AMT was the worst I ever owned, but there ae lots of bad ones out there. The word on the Llamas is that either you get a good one or you don't. Doesn't seem to be a lot of middle ground on them. I had one for a while and had no issues with it.

I have had issues with Colts, Springfields and the only Dan Wesson I've ever owned. My Kimber has been perfect despite what I read about them. Same for my S&W's.

oldways
September 20, 2013, 09:47 AM
Kimbers=Jambers

Hangingrock
September 20, 2013, 01:36 PM
Crown City I repeat Crown City. For those that did not hear me CROWN CITY:cuss:

Henryfan1
September 20, 2013, 01:42 PM
if Jimenez makes a .45 that has to be the worst.
Ha! Too funny

burk
September 20, 2013, 03:51 PM
I am a self-confessed Kimber fanboy, but the second generation outside ejector Kimbers were very bad guns. They were truly jam machines, no matter how well maintained or broken in. Kimber is still replacing slides on those guns. Having said that, if I had the scratch I'd buy a new Kimber Dessert Warrior in a heartbeat. The current ones are still the best values if you want an American made 1911 to build up.

I've also heard some very negative reports on the Sig 220, from enough varied sources to keep me away.

blueskyjaunte
September 20, 2013, 04:51 PM
I've owned one Kimber in my life; never again.

So, my vote goes to anything that says "Yonkers" on it.

silicosys4
September 20, 2013, 05:11 PM
The only .45 that I have been unhappy with was a Rock Island Armory GI .45. It was reliable, it just shot really low. As far as the worst...I'd guess it was something made by AMT.

all357mag
September 20, 2013, 05:20 PM
I had a Series 80 Colt that was a bonafide piece of junk! You'd figure a sloppy gun wouldn't jam, NOT! When it didn't jam, you wouldn't brag about the accuracy either.

WardenWolf
September 20, 2013, 05:23 PM
Silicosys4, why not just file the front sight blade or similar? That's an easy fix.

Worst .45 ever, I really don't have the perspective to make an opinion on. My father's polished stainless early Colt Combat Commander was pretty awful, though, until I worked it over. Very inaccurate. I installed a Dwyer Group Gripper and match-grade bushing, though, and that fixed it. The gun was so loose that it didn't require any fitting to install either. I lightly tapped the bushing in with a wood block and hammer; tight fit, but didn't require any fitting and I could easily remove it if need be.

LeonCarr
September 20, 2013, 05:28 PM
The only place I have ever seen a Crown City Arms 1911 was in a book. I know they exist, but have never seen or handled one in person.

The Auto Ordnance 1911 .45 I had in the early 90s was the worst .45 I have ever owned. Supposedly the Kahr A/Os are much better.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

stressed
September 20, 2013, 05:31 PM
I had a para-ordanace warthog .45 that had all kinds of feeding problems. Eventually plunger/release didn't fall back down, and when the gun was fired it ripped it out the back of the slide. Sent it to ParaOrdanace, and about a year later I got it back - with some kind of crude pakarized finish that didn't match the rest of the gun, and no sight dots, everything parkarized over. Needless to say, I got rid of it.

Oddly enough, that gun reliably cycled, yes cycled the CCI shotshell loads for .45 ACP.

silicosys4
September 20, 2013, 05:36 PM
Silicosys4, why not just file the front sight blade or similar? That's an easy fix.

I forgot to mention it was 4'....thats four FEET low at 25 yards. It was the G.I model with the already teeny front "nub", it would have been gone by the time I was done, lol :eek:

tuj
September 20, 2013, 05:52 PM
Ruger P90. Why? Because the only person I know of to have used one in self-defense had it jam on him after 3 rounds. Could have been his maintenance (or lack-thereof). Luckily the 3 rounds he got off included one that fatally struck his attacker.

doubleg
September 20, 2013, 05:58 PM
I am a self-confessed Kimber fanboy, but the second generation outside ejector Kimbers were very bad guns. They were truly jam machines, no matter how well maintained or broken in. Kimber is still replacing slides on those guns. Having said that, if I had the scratch I'd buy a new Kimber Dessert Warrior in a heartbeat. The current ones are still the best values if you want an American made 1911 to build up.

I've also heard some very negative reports on the Sig 220, from enough varied sources to keep me away.

I have a Kimber Custom II with an external extractor and it has never had a malfunction since I purchased it in 2006.

DesertVet
September 20, 2013, 11:38 PM
Worst .45 caliber pistol has to be the 1911s made by Springfield, Colt, and Les Baer....because I can't seem to stop spending money accumulating MORE of them! Lol!

Gun Master
September 20, 2013, 11:51 PM
None I've ever owned or shot. A Star Model P had a broken firing pin. After it was fixed, no problem, except finding a 2nd mag. Owned 2 Colt's, at different times. Liked all of them.:)

roadliner
September 20, 2013, 11:54 PM
Not wanting to jump on the Llama bandwagon, but my most problematic 45 was a mid-80"s Llama 1911. Wouldn't even feed hardball consistently. Accurate when it did shoot. On the other hand, I still have a Llama Omni in 45 that's both reliable and accurate. Terrible long double action trigger pull makes transitioning from first to second shot a pain to get used to.

KYamateur
September 20, 2013, 11:57 PM
Sig's first run of GSR 1911s. My local gunsmith finally told me to trade it because I was going to have more money in repairs than I did in the gun. I will add that Sig's 1911s are some of the best value for the dollar out there. They just got off to a rough start. I learned not to by any manufacturer's new release of new product lines.

Lincoln4
September 21, 2013, 12:23 AM
The Llama Jamomatic I owned briefly in the 80s.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

DammitBoy
September 21, 2013, 12:32 AM
Had a llama minimax, bought it used. Jammed every round. Had it stoned and honed and it ran like a sewing machine after that.

gunlaw
September 21, 2013, 12:37 AM
I really don't understand all of the llama hate. I have a llama XI-C that I purchased in 1993. After over 10k rounds no problems, no broken parts. Just a few problems with ProMag mags. Just needed to tweek the mags a little and they were fine. I guess I got the only good one. BTW the llama mags have been fine.

Paul7
September 21, 2013, 12:38 AM
For me, RIA.

bannockburn
September 21, 2013, 07:50 AM
My vote would have to go with the AMT Hardballer. Innovative use of stainless steel but truly horrible construction and poorly made and fitted parts made this the worst .45 I have ever encountered.

red rick
September 21, 2013, 08:50 AM
I also had a external extractor Kimber ( Compact II ) that never had a jam, even in the break in period.

trekgod3
September 21, 2013, 12:51 PM
Cobra Patriot .45. Bought it at a gun show new for $225. Trigger pull was double action, 12+lbs. Horrific. Sold it.

MCgunner
September 21, 2013, 06:33 PM
The 1911.

Yup, I had two and didn't like 'em. I'd rather have a more modern accurate, yet reliable DA/SA, myself. If you can afford a decent 1911, you can afford a Sig Sauer. :D

Rinspeed
September 21, 2013, 06:36 PM
AMT Hardballer.

Magnuumpwr
September 21, 2013, 10:53 PM
My most problematic 45 out of the box was my Llama minimax. But as Dam it stated, with some fine tuning it runs great.

franco45
September 21, 2013, 10:58 PM
+1 on the Cobra Patriot 45

Mooseman
September 21, 2013, 11:22 PM
I remember lusting for a Cobra Patriot 45 when they first came out but I decided to wait and see how they would pan out. I'm glad I did, it seems like the idea is sound but the execution is lacking.

Trunk Monkey
September 22, 2013, 09:25 AM
I have had good luck with the little Llamas, I had a .32 and I have a .380 that are good little guns but the full sized Llamas that I’ve owned really haven’t been performers. I think Llama has made some good guns but in general they have a pretty poor reputation.

Robbins290
September 22, 2013, 09:45 AM
Hi point?

Don357
September 23, 2013, 04:07 PM
The worst I've ever had was a Llama OMNI .45. accurate as heck on the first shot, but would hit the ceiling with the next 2 to 3 rounds. It had a mechanical problem that caused it to fire doubles and triples unexpectedly. I couldn't fix it because parts are no longer available. It would have been a great gun otherwise.

MCgunner
September 23, 2013, 04:39 PM
I don't really know about the worst, but there are a lot of good .45s out there for various purposes. I've of and on thought I might like an XD/S. I'd belt carry it with an extended magazine. Not sure about accuracy, though.

Is to anything "Cobra", well, it's "Cobra". Have they ever made anything that wasn't crap? Just wondering. :D

evan price
September 23, 2013, 05:16 PM
I had a compact Star 45, cant recall the model. Firestar comes to mind. Kept breaking parts and the slide was not hardened right and it got peened. Long gone.
The only malfunctions I have ever had wuth sig p220 were caused by Promag magazines, and using reloaded A-Merc brass.
Sold all the Promags and bought Sig or Mecgar mags, and now I cull A-Merc 45 brass to scrap.

LebbenB
September 23, 2013, 07:44 PM
AMT Long Slide .45. Worst. Pistol. EVER. Couldn't get through a single magazine without some sort of malfunction. It took all of the short-comings of the hardballer and amplified them.

The worst part of it was I sold a no-import stamp CZ75 to finance it.

MCgunner
September 23, 2013, 07:44 PM
Back during the Clinton magazine ban era, I bought 3 pro-mags for my Ruger P85. I had trouble with 'em, but other 15 round mags weren't available, so I bought wolff springs for the mags and now they're 100 percent. If I'd had a choice at the time, I'd bought Ruger or Mec Gar 15 rounders, but none were available.

Kosh75287
September 23, 2013, 08:15 PM
Semmerling

JR24
September 23, 2013, 09:06 PM
Yup, I had two and didn't like 'em. I'd rather have a more modern accurate, yet reliable DA/SA, myself. If you can afford a decent 1911, you can afford a Sig Sauer.

Funny story, I have recently discovered that all my Sig P220 mags are really picky about ammo that's just the smallest amount too long, they get jammed in the mags and FTF a lot. Turns out that an annoyingly large percentage of the UMC ammo I had stockpiled is just a bit too long (like 20% on some boxes). So the Sig don't like em.

My Remington R1 and Springer GI eat them just fine. Never thought my Sig would choke before my 1911's.

wally
September 24, 2013, 07:53 PM
OP didn't specify function as the sole criterion. And even then, nobody has probably fired enough Liberators to set a function baseline.

It was bad in several other categories, incuding build quality, ergonomics, and reloading procedure.

I've also heard it said that the Liberator was the only gun ever designed that took longer to re-load than to manufacture -- extract the empty with the supplied wooden dowel ...

Trunk Monkey
September 24, 2013, 09:52 PM
My understanding was that the Liberator was used to kill a better armed German and take his gun. So, If it worked right the first time you weren't going to need to reload it

Jim K
September 25, 2013, 12:24 AM
"Liberator ... I'd rather go up an order of magnitude in cost and get a Sten."

They did. Thousands of STENs were parachuted and air landed to supply resistance forces in Europe. Most reliable sources indicate that not a single Liberator was ever fired at an enemy, and all but a few were destroyed after the war ended.

I agree on the OMNI, though. A nice looking and nice handling gun that wouldn't hit a barn from inside. A lot of filing and crude hand work where it didn't show.

Jim

Gun Master
September 25, 2013, 12:49 AM
Yep ! Liberator.......I'd forgotten that one, it was so bad (in the worst way).

jon_in_wv
September 26, 2013, 12:52 AM
The Colt Combat Commander I owned was the worst 45 I've ever owned. The first time I loaded it the hammer followed and shot a hole through my bed. I replaced the sear, hammer, and spring with new parts. My first range trip the barrel bushing broke sending the plug, recoil spring and plug down range. I replaced the barrel bushing and on the second trip to the range the slide stop broke. I replaced the slide stop and sold the cursed thing at a loss. I'll buy just about any 45 before another 1911. (before some fanboy says I'm basing that on just one 1911 it was my fifth and with on exception the others were only a little less trouble.) Funny how many mention the AMT yet the Hardballer I bought in 92 was completely trouble free (the one exception) and a great shooter.

wally
September 26, 2013, 10:43 AM
My understanding was that the Liberator was used to kill a better armed German and take his gun. So, If it worked right the first time you weren't going to need to reload it

True, but afterward the Liberator was hopefully to be given to another partisan to repeat the process a few times. I believe it came with some extra ammo.

Trunk Monkey
September 26, 2013, 04:06 PM
True, but afterward the Liberator was hopefully to be given to another partisan to repeat the process a few times. I believe it came with some extra ammo.

Yeah but you'd have forever to reload it.

And it still probably worked better than a Jiminez :D

Elkins45
September 26, 2013, 07:04 PM
AMT Hardballer.
That would be my vote. The irony of a gun named "hardballer" that wouldn't even feed hardball was just too much to bear.

jjadkins1
September 26, 2013, 11:28 PM
My worst was Taurus 24/7 and I own an Auto Ordnance.

gym
September 27, 2013, 08:02 PM
1911's are like women, when you get a good one, you better take good care of it or you will regret the day you got it when you need it most. Stick with the good ones and don't go looking for bargains or you will end up with a problem that will cost you a lot of money when you could have avoided it by getting a first rate one to begin with.
If yours works, don't mess with it and it will probably run forever, if it's trouble from day one, divorce it and move on, as it may never give you a moments peace, and take you for all you are willing to dump into it.
You may find you and your 1911 in a therapists office trying to find where you went wrong. Picking up a cheap 1911 is like meeting a girl in a bar, they all look good when you are in the mood, but you can wake up without your wallet before you know what happened.

Henryfan1
September 27, 2013, 08:08 PM
I had a 45 ACP Taurus tracker and the stupid moonclips would bind up the action all the time.

DeepSouth
September 27, 2013, 08:51 PM
I had a Singer 1911 once, it was total junk. Traded it for a High Point, I feel bad for giving him such an bad trade, the high point is incredible!!

Jim K
September 27, 2013, 11:18 PM
You traded a $15,000 Singer for a High Point? Now I happen to think High Points are a lot better than some folks say, but.....

Jim

Elkins45
September 27, 2013, 11:25 PM
I had a Singer 1911 once, it was total junk. Traded it for a High Point, I feel bad for giving him such an bad trade, the high point is incredible!!
Wait, is this April 1?

Mooseman
September 28, 2013, 09:08 AM
singer=45
hi-point=45 + club
45 + club > singer
hi-point > singer:D

Gun Master
September 28, 2013, 02:11 PM
Ahhhhh..........Right. Yup ! Nothin' like the smarts of an ol' mule trader . Unless you're trying to pull our collective legs. Either way .....Yup !:neener:

ljnowell
September 28, 2013, 03:36 PM
Sig's first run of GSR 1911s. My local gunsmith finally told me to trade it because I was going to have more money in repairs than I did in the gun. I will add that Sig's 1911s are some of the best value for the dollar out there. They just got off to a rough start. I learned not to by any manufacturer's new release of new product lines.

My GSR Revolution is a tack driver and is as reliable as all get out.

Moondoggie
September 28, 2013, 07:00 PM
Llama. Worst jam-o-matics I ever dealt with. There was no fix for the ones I had in the 80's.

Bush Pilot
September 28, 2013, 07:43 PM
Liberator.
They weren't too bad if you got an action job. I've heard Crimson Trace is looking at making a laser for the gun.

HighExpert
September 28, 2013, 07:44 PM
I had a Star that was a pure blowback action. Wouldn't group as well as a 12ga at 20yds, jammed if you held your mouth wrong and shook parts off, ((sights and grip panels) on a regular basis. On a good point, I think it was painted black but didn't seem prone to rust.

spm
September 28, 2013, 08:27 PM
Every time one of these "What's the worst 1911" threads comes up, Llama is first on the list and, I suppose, with good reason.

However, I have a Llama Especial .45. It was made in the 70s, imported by Stoeger and I bought it LNIB in the 70s from a friend. I think I paid $75.00 for it. It was my first handgun purchase. It has never failed to fire, and the only time it failed to feed was when I tried to feed it SJHP. I have enjoyed the gun and will probably never sell it, if only for sentimental reasons. Just saying ...

Trunk Monkey
September 29, 2013, 10:26 AM
However, I have a Llama Especial .45. It was made in the 70s, imported by Stoeger and I bought it LNIB in the 70s from a friend. I think I paid $75.00 for it. It was my first handgun purchase. It has never failed to fire, and the only time it failed to feed was when I tried to feed it SJHP. I have enjoyed the gun and will probably never sell it, if only for sentimental reasons. Just saying

Every time one of these threads comes up somebody has a story about how they got a good one and what a stellar gun it is. I don't have a problem believing that, Llama made some good pistols, so did Jimenez but I think overall they are an inferior product.

I own a Llama Minimax (?) in .380 that has never had an issue but I had nothing but trouble with my 9mm or .45ACP Llamas and ended up giving both away.

I’m not really into 1911s so I wouldn’t even be in the market but if I was I would skip the Llamas

brutus51
September 29, 2013, 02:12 PM
Read JR24's post and he is right.
Couple weeks back I decided to shoot my P220, after along spell of not doing so, This is my night stand gun so I thought it would be prudent to take some practice with it and leave my 1911's at home. Gun is always loaded with Hydrashocks for home defense and whenever I shoot it I pop for a box and rotate the ammo. Given todays ammo prices I brought along 100 rounds of my favorite 1911 reloads. Sure enough they were to long for the magazines :uhoh:.
Are the Germans just messing with us or is this a European thing.
Does anyone know if CZ's are the same way?
I've been pondering either a new Colt commander or a CZ97.
Buy the way my P220 is the older stamped slide model. It has been 100% reliable and the most accurate service grade .45 I have ever owned, except, I guess, with my reloads.:o

KenW.
September 29, 2013, 03:49 PM
My first autoloader was the Colt Double Eagle. I might still have it if the double action pull wasn't 3 inches long and all the delicates weren't under a plastic grip panel.

spm
September 29, 2013, 04:49 PM
Every time one of these threads comes up somebody has a story about how they got a good one and what a stellar gun it is.

Yeah, you're right, I guess I'm no better than the those who denigrate the Llama. And I'm sure that I am in the minority on this subject. As I indicated at the end, it may just be a sentimental fondness for my first handgun.

spm

gandog56
September 29, 2013, 05:21 PM
Easy, a Hi-Point!

I put in a joke bid on one for $40 once, and it won the danged auction. Got the stupid thing after shipping and a transfer fee that cost more than the purchase price. Thing was half plastic, but seemed to weigh about two 1911's to me. Unnatural grip andle, and stupid ergonomics on the grip caused me to have to hold it really high with my small short fingered hand. This couased the slide to whack me between my thumb and index finger every time. But that was assuming the stupid thing loaded the round in the first place. It never EVER, even once, went through a magazine without a failure to load or extract. I finally gave up on it and gave it to my little brother. He uses it as a one shot shark killer when he goes fishing in the Gulf. The only thing that thing ever did right was once the round loaded, it went bang every time you pulled the trigger.

jon_in_wv
September 29, 2013, 10:22 PM
The only thing that thing ever did right was once the round loaded, it went bang every time you pulled the trigger.

Isn't that after all the intended purpose of a pistol? I've paid a lot more for weapons that couldn't manage that simple feat.

burk
September 29, 2013, 10:26 PM
It may be the XDS after Springfields recent update on the status of their fix or lack of it. :rolleyes:

GCBurner
October 1, 2013, 02:13 PM
Toss-up between the Stallard and the Hi-Point.

justashooter in pa
October 1, 2013, 04:33 PM
i have a crown city that is an absolute joy. plum anodized aluminum frame, colt barrel, bomar sights, set trigger, totally reliable.

Hunter991
October 1, 2013, 05:42 PM
Right now my xds that I probably won't see for another few months.

texagun
October 11, 2013, 10:45 AM
The 1911 clones manufactured by the North Vietnamese and issued to their Vietcong troops. I wouldn't pull the trigger on one of these things for anything.

jimherb
October 11, 2013, 02:46 PM
Beretta 9000.

Jim K
October 12, 2013, 12:08 AM
A Star in .45 that was a blowback? I don't think so.

Jim

gandog56
October 13, 2013, 10:30 AM
Isn't that after all the intended purpose of a pistol? I've paid a lot more for weapons that couldn't manage that simple feat.

Yep, but when the thing constantly had failures to feed or extract? I mean I didn't bid on a single shot pistol!

Zerodefect
October 13, 2013, 10:35 AM
Any cheap, mass produced 1911.

1911's are great when you spend time and attention to detail. Use quality parts. But cutting corners is not something you can do with any complex machine designed in the early 1900's.

Jack19
October 13, 2013, 04:39 PM
Hands down, no question, the Kimber Compact Aluminum.

Mine had more issues than Sybil (feeding, extraction, ejection, slide lock, you name it,) and Kimber's "customer service" was absolutely, positively, beyond worthless. I sold it after figuring out it was going to cost me a few hundred to have a competent smith put it right....Kimber made it clear they would not.

This was, probably, 12, or more, years ago...and I'm still :cuss:

Kimber is dead to me.

Vic9319
October 13, 2013, 05:55 PM
$150.00 Highpoint

243winxb
October 13, 2013, 05:57 PM
Lllama 45 acp

el Godfather
October 14, 2013, 05:51 PM
In retrospect I think worst for me was the Taurus Pt24/7 pro.

SlamFire1
October 14, 2013, 06:27 PM
Everyone is forgetting when Colt gleefully shoveled out garbage, and because they were the only game in town, everyone had to live with it.

I have an M1911 45ACP Colt Combat Elite, purchased in the early 80ís. The barrel and slide unlocked too early in the pressure curve. The pistol acted closer to a blow back pistol than a locked breech. The slide would go recoil back hard, hit the recoil spring guide, which then peened the frame. The peening was bad enough that the frame needed replacing within 3000 rounds. Colt replaced the frame but did not change the barrel or slide and the unlock geometry stayed the same. I installed shock buffs. Shock buffs slowed the peening, but that pistol would chew up a shock buff in one hundred rounds. Since Colt only warranted their M1911ís for three years, I decided that the new frame would peen out after the warranty was over and I needed to do something.

I sent the pistol off to Wilson Combat, had them install one of their barrels, did a bunch of other work too. The total cost tripled the price of the pistol. The pinky of the dumbest Wilson Arms gunsmith knows more about M1911's than the entirety of Colt Customer Service. Wilson Arms properly installed the barrel, the dwell is correct and the slide is not peening the frame. The worksmanship on everything was top notch. I still use shock buffs, they proved their worth, and I have one excellent 45 ACP. After more than $1200, I have a 45 ACP that is as good as my Kimber Custom Classic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/Pistols%20various/DSCN0747ColtCombatreduced.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/SlamFire/media/Pistols%20various/DSCN0747ColtCombatreduced.jpg.html)

Notice the finish wear on my Custom Classic? It got that way through use.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/Pistols%20various/KimberRightSideDSCN0753.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/SlamFire/media/Pistols%20various/KimberRightSideDSCN0753.jpg.html)

This Colt barrel came off a friend's Colt Combat Target Pistol. That ring in front of the chamber is directly under a locking lug recess. This is a manufacturing defect, Colt damaged the barrel when cutting the locking lug recess.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/Pistols%20various/ColtTrademarkonbarrelDSCN2796.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/SlamFire/media/Pistols%20various/ColtTrademarkonbarrelDSCN2796.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/Pistols%20various/BestringinbarrelDSCN2815.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/SlamFire/media/Pistols%20various/BestringinbarrelDSCN2815.jpg.html)

In summary, I am not paying extra for the Pony.

Sambo82
October 14, 2013, 06:45 PM
+100
+101 on the AMT hating.

Pete D.
October 14, 2013, 11:45 PM
To know what is worst, really, you would have to have shot all if them.
Pete

RPRNY
October 15, 2013, 12:47 AM
The WWII "Liberator". Single shot, two inch, smoothbore barrel made from stamped parts and dropped behind enemy lines under OSS and SOE direction. Effective to about 6ft.

Tejicano Loco
October 15, 2013, 02:20 AM
I hear a lot of hate on the AMT's but have not had problems with mine.

I have and AMT Government model - similar to the hardballer but the slide/frame fit was looser. Accuracy is ho-hum but not terrible. I don't shoot it a lot these days because I don't get to go shooting enough as it is. I pretty much only shot 230 grain FMJ out of it because I believe in heavy bullets and back when it was my main pistol - 20 years ago - 230 grain JHP's were very rare. So that may be another part of the reason that I never had a problem with it.

I believe the AMT Hardballers had functioning problems because of the tight fit on the slide and the type of stainless steel used. The slide/frame fit on the Government model was loose enough that it didn't bind.

madFive
October 15, 2013, 03:53 PM
I've never tried any of "the worst" thanks to some good advice I've received before (thanks Dan-D if you ever come around here), but my understanding is there are a few of the cheaper brands to absolutely avoid because their material standards are so low they are often a serious safety risk to their own operators. Here's the list of ones to avoid at all costs: Lorcin, Phoenix Arms, Standard Arms, Jimenez, Bryco, Jennings, and High Point. Hi-Point may be technically safe, but they're no fun to shoot, not reliable, and seriously ugly to boot. :p

Another brand I generally steer clear of is Taurus. Never fired a .45 by them, but their autos are generally not reliable enough for me to trust them for carry, and also not great shooters for range-toys either.

Old Dog
October 15, 2013, 04:50 PM
Always the Taurus hate from folks who admit they've never tried one ...

Taurus. Never fired a .45 by them, but their autos are generally not reliable enough for me to trust them for carry, and also not great shooters for range-toys either. Many would disagree.

Have gone through two PT-145s that were superb pistols; a couple friends with PT-1911s have had no problems with 'em, and love 'em. My PT-92 (bought new in 1991) is a gem -- in five figures for round count, never ever a malfunction.

Back to the OP's topic: I have to jump onboard the Llama bandwagon ... my brother inherited one from Grandpa that we just couldn't get to digest a whole magazine. We tried everything, for months. It looked nice, was reasonably accurate as a single-shot, but no one could get it to work ...

CoRoMo
October 15, 2013, 04:55 PM
The Haskell JS-45

If you enjoyed reading about "Which is the worst .45 pistol ever made in your opinion?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!