Should I trade my HK USP 45 for Springfield 45?

PDA

leadcounsel
September 20, 2013, 03:23 PM
I've got an HK USP 45 with 2 mags and kydex holster. It's the one with the safety and decocker.

Should I trade for a modified Springfield 1911 .45. Modifications include, allegedly by a gunsmith, a Stormlake threaded barrel. The 1911 has the wider slide serrations on rear and front of slide. Skeleton hammer and trigger. Extended beaver tail and ambi safety. Combat sights. 6 mags. Seller is asking $950, but apparently will trade straight across, or maybe add cash.

I don't necessarily prefer one or the other. I guess I like the HK, but it's so thick and the mags are 10 round mags and extra mags are very expensive. I only have one HK, but I have several 1911s.

Both appear in about the same condition.

From a value point, is there a big difference in value?

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I trade my HK USP 45 for Springfield 45?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JTQ
September 20, 2013, 03:54 PM
From a value point, is there a big difference in value?
It depends on the model of Springfield 1911. A GI, Mil-Spec, Loaded, or Range Officer, you may be losing a little from a value standpoint. If it's a TRP or Professional, you're making out, at least from a value standpoint.

Ultimately, I think it depends on whether you are a 1911 guy or not. If the 1911 fits your hand better, and you shoot it better than the HK, you're probably better off with the 1911 no matter what the model is, especially if you don't really have much love for the HK.

tommy.duncan
September 20, 2013, 04:00 PM
I would stick with the H&K. Look at www.cdnnsports.com for extra magazines. I do like the (and my) 1911As' but between the two I would keep the H&K.

tarosean
September 20, 2013, 04:02 PM
yeah model is the most important question they range from 600 bucks to several grand..

CharlieDeltaJuliet
September 20, 2013, 04:21 PM
I have a Brazilian Springfield 1911. I love it, but I still hold my HK's,Sig's and yes even Glock's to a higher standard. You are the only one that can say either the trade is worth it. Best of luck on your decisions.

JimGnitecki
September 20, 2013, 04:58 PM
Having owned both brands, I would rate the HK far higher in engineering, accuracy, and quality. HK is a professional grade firearm tool.

Many years ago, I took an HK USP Tactical to a 3 day class that incldued firing our pistols at 50 yards. My HK outshot every other pistol there (about 15 class members), putting 5 shots into 2.5 inches at 50 yards from prone, with ME, not a really good shooter, shooting it.

I personally prefer the appearance, finish, materials, and gestalt of other pistols over the HKs, but man, they are really, really good firearms.

And, there is one exception to my objections above: The HK USP Elite. If you ever handle and shoot one of those, you will know you are handling a great pistol.

Jim G

silicosys4
September 20, 2013, 05:06 PM
I would rather have a USP45 than a gun that was "allegedly gone over by a gunsmith".

To me, ANYTHING that "has been gone over by a gunsmith" needs some documentation with it, and I'd want to know more about the gunsmith.
I own a USP45, and I like it very much now that I have gotten some more trigger time with it, and have gotten over the HORRIBLE DA trigger. It is a very solid, well made gun, and I would be hard pressed to trade it for anything that might or might not have been worked on by someone who might or might not have known what they were doing.

el Godfather
September 20, 2013, 07:02 PM
In a nutshell- NO!

HK USP45 is an awesome machine that is reliable to bone. Springfield has got nothing on what you have. PERIOD.

Fremmer
September 21, 2013, 01:12 AM
I'm not sure there's a significant difference in value, I guess it depends on how good that smith was.

But if you already have 1911s, You might keep the HK. It is a German gun, after all.

Old Dog
September 21, 2013, 01:22 AM
As much as I love the 1911, I'd say, hang on to the H&K. The USP was my first duty issue handgun in my post-military career, and as much as I like to dog these German pistols (and deride the friggin' cheese-grater frontstrap), they are just so doggone reliable that everyone should have one in the case of a zombie apocalypse ... Springfield Armory 1911s will always be there when you need to pickup another ...

Girodin
September 21, 2013, 01:32 AM
I'm pretty wary of a 1911 that a mystery person has worked on. I've seen hack job work by even professional gun smiths.

The USP is clunky gun with a less than fantastic trigger, but it has to hell and back durability, a lot of mechanical accuracy, and they are generally extremely reliable.

It depends on the model of Springfield 1911. A GI, Mil-Spec, Loaded, or Range Officer, you may be losing a little from a value standpoint. If it's a TRP or Professional, you're making out, at least from a value standpoint.

This hits the nail on the head. If it was a TRP I'd seriously consider it. If it is a GI that's had a bunch of stuff added to it by who knows who, then I'd rather have a USP

Fremmer
September 21, 2013, 01:49 AM
the HK is an expensive pistol. The customizations on the Springer are customized for somebody else, so I can't see paying a premium unless it is a Yost or something else special.

But if it trips your trigger, make the trade.

TennJed
September 21, 2013, 03:51 AM
No you would be trading an elite pistol for a mid level pistol

5-SHOTS
September 21, 2013, 07:40 AM
One simple word: NO!

C0untZer0
September 21, 2013, 10:10 AM
I wouldn't

wow6599
September 21, 2013, 10:15 AM
I only have one HK, but I have several 1911s

For this reason, I say no.

Sam1911
September 21, 2013, 10:34 AM
I'll second the "gone over by a gunsmith" concern. If it really runs and you can prove that somehow, the 1911 might be a great value, but customized guns are rarely worth very much to anyone but the person who got the work done ... and if HE's selling it, that would make me wonder why.

Now, if I had an HK I'd definitely sell it, but probably not for a worked-over gun.

(Of course if that gunsmith was Jim Garthwaite or Bob Rogers or some other really respected name, that would be different. But he probably wouldn't be selling it for $950.)

jjones45
September 21, 2013, 02:07 PM
the springer is just another 1911. the hk is a real combat handgun that would probably be more reliable and less finicky with ammo. not just no, but hell no!!!!

Posted from Thehighroad.org App for Android

grubbylabs
September 21, 2013, 02:20 PM
When I was younger and bought my first hand gun, it was a Smith and Wesson, I did not realize that someone had done a "trigger" job on it. It was then that I found out that not all gun smiths are created equal.

powder
September 21, 2013, 02:27 PM
Keep the HK.

AABEN
September 21, 2013, 05:15 PM
HECK NO NO keep the H&K

GI_Jared
September 22, 2013, 11:52 PM
Keep the HK! The USP is a classic.

dwhite
September 23, 2013, 08:43 AM
Next to, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".

"allegedly by a gunsmith", is the second scariest combination of
words in the English language.

All the Best,
D. White

LebbenB
September 23, 2013, 09:52 AM
I agree with several others. A stock HK in the hand beats a mystery smithed 1911 in the bush all day everyday.

Girodin
September 23, 2013, 04:28 PM
Did you determine what model the Springfield was?

Hk Paul
September 23, 2013, 06:07 PM
Springfield Armory is only Springfield Armory because some guy just bought the rights to the name. Their 1911's outside of a TRP are worth about as much as scrap metal. Definitely NO go here.

HKGuns
September 25, 2013, 09:40 PM
I own examples of each and agree with the majority and recommend you keep the HK. Springer's are far from garbage, however, they aren't an HK.

PakWaan
September 25, 2013, 10:56 PM
That's a great deal - for the other guy ;). Keep the HK

Girodin
September 26, 2013, 12:26 AM
Since everyone is so quick to say how much better the hk is. I'll trade my usp for a TRP if I can get any takers. No if its a gi model some hack worked on then I agree with some of the above. I think this is the type of question one really needs more info before making a definitive statement about.

tomrkba
September 26, 2013, 12:33 AM
Should I trade for a modified Springfield 1911 .45. Modifications include, allegedly by a gunsmith, a Stormlake threaded barrel.

Was the work performed by a real gunsmith? If there is no proof, then do not get that gun. You have no idea how that barrel was fitted and SACS may not honor their warranty. Why not save up for a new SA 1911? You will know what you are getting.

Jim Watson
September 26, 2013, 12:34 AM
Do not trade a gun that you know works for one that you HOPE will work.

"Some gunsmith" is a big caution sign.

If you can afford one gun, you can afford two, for a while at least. If you crave that SA, scrimp, save, and buy it. I bet it will be there for a while.

I did not keep my USP .45 because although it was accurate, reliable, and reportedly durable, it was a poor fit for my hand size and I could not shoot it as well as a 1911.
If it had been a 9mm, I would likely still have it.

tomrkba
September 26, 2013, 12:35 AM
Next to, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".

"allegedly by a gunsmith", is the second scariest combination of
words in the English language.

You forgot: "Sergeant, hand me that map. I will call in the artillery strike."

TimboKhan
September 26, 2013, 01:05 AM
I am not specifically calling anyone out in this thread, nor am i disputing that the USP is a good gun. Just saying there are a lot of HK fanboys out there and they are not the perfect pistol for everyone. The same, incidentally, is exactly as true a statement doe 1911 fans. Both are good guns, both have pros and cons, and both have a fair amount of hype surrounding them.

My advice is that if you really don't have a preference, I don't see the point. Jim Watson was absolutely right in his advice in that regard. Otherwise, go with what you like and what works best for you, and don't get caught up in the hype either way.

sent from my Galaxy Note II.

Soldiernurse
September 27, 2013, 10:11 AM
Is the Springfield 1911 a TRP? BTW, for a couple $100 or more less why not a Walther P99AS or a PPQ?

Girodin
September 27, 2013, 02:30 PM
Hmmm, I still haven't gotten any PM's on my trade offer. Given the comments in this thread you'd think I'd be beating them off with a stick.

miles1
September 27, 2013, 10:23 PM
Keep the HK!

RainDodger
September 28, 2013, 01:04 AM
I am fortunate enough to have both a TRP and an H&K USP 9mm Compact. Different guns. I wouldn't trade either of mine for the other, if you get my meaning. The H&K is my dead-reliable, never fail, simple to operate, always goes bang, 9mm. The Springfield is something different. More complicated. Shooting it requires thinking. Carrying it requires thinking. Cleaning it requires thinking - it's just a more complicated pistol than the H&K. It is still dead reliable and I love shooting it. It's more consistent than the H&K and it has been tuned to be a wonderful shooter with a very light and crisp action. I think it's more "precise" than the H&K, and I think a 1911 has more capabilities for modifications.

You have a decision to make - they're different guns! I look at the H&K as a perfectly functional tool that does a job wonderfully, and I look at a 1911 as all of that with the capability of absorbing more modifications, should you want to do them.

Good luck!

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I trade my HK USP 45 for Springfield 45?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!