Truing/blueprint really necessary?

PDA

TheSwede
September 20, 2013, 06:55 PM
Hi! I thinking of replacing my factory rem700 with a standard lilja or border barrel. I use my 700 for deerhunting and not benchrest but i still want nice tight groups. So! Some says i better true it and some says i dont need it for a hunting rifle.

Is there some way for a amature like myself to check if the action needs to be trued?

If you enjoyed reading about "Truing/blueprint really necessary?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kp321
September 20, 2013, 11:44 PM
I rebarrel lots of Remington 700's and true the face of the receiver on all of them because I have the tool to do it with. Some are dead true to start with, some are .001" to .002" off. Does it make a difference? Don't really know but it doesn't hurt. All my rebarrels shoot less than MOA. With that type of success, I would say have it trued unless the price is out of line. By the same token, I don't see the need to do a full blueprint including recutting the threads on a hunting rifle. Facing the receiver and lapping the lugs takes me 30 minutes.

TheSwede
September 21, 2013, 05:45 AM
Wow! That was a really good response and i learned something new. Well, a full blueprint can be very expensive. I dont think just truing the face gonna be so expensive and it sounds like a good idea before rebarreling. I want a sub moa rifle. My 700 bdl is from 1981 so the barrel have seen alot of bullets thru the years.

If you enjoyed reading about "Truing/blueprint really necessary?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!