Verifyng FFL when shipping guns

PDA

deleteall
March 24, 2004, 12:10 PM
I always get an inked signed FFL sheet before I ship a gun. It's part of that whole"not wanting to commit a felony thing." Anyway, I also verify the FFL I receive through the ATF.

Seems like if the buyer can get me the FFL number, I can verify that and ship to that address without getting and ink signed FFL. Yes or no?

If you enjoyed reading about "Verifyng FFL when shipping guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Declaration Day
March 24, 2004, 12:15 PM
...but personally I want the signed copy in my hands. It's the easiest and most solid proof available that I shipped the gun legally.

AJ Dual
March 24, 2004, 12:21 PM
I would be comfortable with just the number and checking it against the ATF list. Mainly because some dealers worry at sending other non-licensees a signed copy, as they think you'll use it to order guns direct and get them in trouble somehow. If the address you ship to matches the license you looked up, what violation could you possibly be comiting? The worst that'll happen is some goof pretending the FFL will make your gun show up in a delivery to the real FFL unexpectedly. AFAIK, all that will accomplish is that it will tick off the legit FFL. He can still enter your info into his bound book from the return address lable on what you shipped.

Although I do enjoy freaking out the clerks at Dunhams sporting goods when I occasionaly buy a Curio and Relic piece when it's on a sale price that makes filling out a 4473 worthwhle, and then demand to copy thier FFL license info into my C&R bound book, and when they balk, I tell them they're violating thier license, federal law, and ATF regs if they refuse the info. :D

The :eek: look on the clerk and the manager is priceless.

EOD Guy
March 24, 2004, 02:04 PM
Although I do enjoy freaking out the clerks at Dunhams sporting goods when I occasionaly buy a Curio and Relic piece when it's on a sale price that makes filling out a 4473 worthwhle, and then demand to copy thier FFL license info into my C&R bound book, and when they balk, I tell them they're violating thier license, federal law, and ATF regs if they refuse the info.

The look on the clerk and the manager is priceless.

Actually, there is no legal reason for them to give you the FFL number or for you to enter it into your bound book. Name and address is sufficient for the acquisition entry. On the other hand, a copy of their FFL is supposed to be posted and you could get the number from it if you desired.

AJ Dual
March 24, 2004, 02:57 PM
They have the FFL posted, but keep it up high, behind the counter, and inside the glass gun case.

If you enjoyed reading about "Verifyng FFL when shipping guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!